Galvantula & The Misfits - Decent 1st RU Team

Galvantula & The Misfits
A team of cool guys by G.R.'s Cousin

Hey. So yeah, one day I just decided I would try something new. A tier besides OU or Ubers (both of which get pretty annoying sometimes). I was browsing the Strategy section of the Smogon website, looking for a place to start. I stumbled across Galvantula, whom I used on my White team and loved to spam Thunder with. I read up on its articles and decided that it would be fun to use it competitively, so I figured, what better place than the lowest tier it can shine in? Thus began the creation of my team. Let me introduce Galvantula & The Misfits.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Trait: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The star of my team, who would have figured? Galvantula hits extremely hard and fast, something any cookie-cutter special-sweeper would be expected of. I usually end up using him late-game, due to how there are always threats I have to clean up first, such as Choice Scarf Braviary, Cryogonal, and biggest of all, Stealth Rock. As such, he requires a ton of support from the rest of the team, but being able to 2HKO most of the tier is always a great feeling. If a team lacks an entry hazard layer, however, Galvantula can start rampaging from the very start of the game, either OHKOing their lead or dealing heavy damage to the mon they switch to, placing them within range with a different move.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Def / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Upon hearing that Sandslash makes a good partner for Galvantula, at first I thought: "So it's an inferior Donphan... Not sure how well this will turn out." After using him for a while however, now I think: "Sandslash is fucking amazing." Many a time has he removed Stealth Rock off the field, which is invaluable to using a Life Orb Galvantula. Sandslash is also a great lure of sorts. When opponents switch to Cofagrigus, expecting me to use Rapid Spin, I get an opportunity to switch straight to Absol. Same applies with users of Scald and Ice Beam only hitting Alomomola. Plus, my team now has an EdgeQuake combo. What more needs to be said?

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Toxic

To be honest, I once hated Alomomola out of sheer ignorance. Outclassed by Chansey, ugly, and not the evolution Luvdisc really needs. Using her later showed me that first impressions are nothing. Alomomola is wonderful to have, due to how important it is for this team to stay at above 50% health, as well as her type-synergy with Galvantula and Sandslash. If all that weren't enough, Alomomola can easily outstall various Bulk Up Gallade and Hitmonlee, who Sandslash can't take on and the rest of my team can't stand more than two hits from.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 SpD
Brave Nature
- Double-Edge
- Flamethrower
- Heal Bell
- Softboiled

Stalling with Toxic and Will-o-Wisp? That's pretty funny. Steelix and Cryogonal walling my attacks? Bitch, please. Clefable is a great support to my team, given that Alomomola hates Toxic while Galvantula is essentially dead when paralyzed. Magnemite and Steelix that would also OHKO Sandslash with Hidden Power Ice also find themselves switching out in fear from Life Orb Flamethrower, while Cryogonal and other defensively frail Pokemon are almost always OHKO'd by a Double-Edge that hits like a truck. The EVs may seem a bit unorthodox, but being able to switch into special attacks (which a majority of my team can't do) is yet another great value to the team.

Absol @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Night Slash
- Superpower
- Megahorn

Ah, yes. Absol. My main Ghost-type counter and revenge killer. Switching in safely on Psychic-types and Cofagrigus pretty much means Absol is taking a chunk of health out of something, if not outright killing it. Pursuit and Night Slash alternate in usage depending on whether I'm predicting a switch or not, while Superpower rounds Absol out to hit anything neutrally, thanks to Heracross and Toxicroak banned to higher tiers. Megahorn rounds out the coverage even further, otherwise functioning as a less-accurate Superpower that can be used multiple times in a row.

Also crits. Can't have enough of them.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Finally, there's Ludicolo. Originally, I didn't know what to put in as the sixth member, so I just threw Offensive Sigilyph in. That did not end well, due to how my team has a rough time handling special attacks. There was also a Whimsicott that pissed me off so badly that I decided I needed a permanent check to one. Thus, Ludicolo came in to fill both those roles. Things only get better in that his SubSeed set lets me outstall what Alomomola can't. Own Tempo may seem like the lesser choice of his abilities due to how the occasional Rain Dance team won't feed him, but then you have to remember I have Galvantula with both Thunder and Giga Drain, so no point in having a rain check beyond that.

- - - - - - - -

Anyway that's about it I guess. I've actually had a lot of success with this team, my loss rate probably being about 20% of the time, and even those being solely based on several critical hits occuring at the worst times. I'm still relatively new to the RU tier, so I'm not entirely familiar with everything the tier has to offer. If you see any flaws in my team I can patch up, please do tell. Otherwise, knowing about potential counters would still be helpful to a currently RU rookie like myself. RU is fun and I hope I can mold this team into something viable enough to compete against some of the higher-ladder teams going around.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
By running a spread of 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 SpD with a Careful nature on Clefable, you get the exact same amount of Special Defense and HP as your current spread, but with a little extra Attack.

Ah, thank you. I can't believe I missed out on that.

I've also learned that Substitute users give my team a little trouble. Do you know of any minor alterations I can make to handle those?

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've noticed that you're pretty weak to physical Fighting-types. Once Gallade gets a Swords Dance up everything on your team is 2HKOed or OHKOed by Close Combat. The Hitmons and Medicham can equally do a lot of damage to your team. I would recommend running a bulky special attacking Nidoqueen instead of Ludicolo. Although she doesn't help too much with taking special attacks (aside from the odd Thunderbolt and Sludge Bomb) she gives you a good Fighting resist (you can't rely on Galvantula to take Close Combats all day long) as well as another Rock resist. Nidoqueen also has good power thanks to Sheer Force and gives you some more offensive oomph. My final note is a small one. In my opinion Sandslash should never run a fully defensive set as it leaves it such set up bait for Ghost types. Absol sort of resolves this but if you don't predict perfectly when you switch Sandslash out Cofag could get that crucial NP up, Rotom could be sitting comfortable behind a sub, and Spiritomb could have fired off an unfortunate Will-O-Wisp. That's why I suggest you remove Stealth Rock and Leftovers from Sandslash and give him a Lum Berry and the move Swords Dance, as well as switching the EV spread around a bit. This offensive Sandslash gives you the chance to take out those Ghosts that try to set up on you. Here are the sets.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Sheer Force
Modest
84 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Earth Power
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Stealth Rock

The evs give you decent bulk and the ability to outspeed positive natured base 55s, as well as great offensive power. You also keep the ability to set up Stealth Rock.

Sandslash @ Lum Berry
Sand Veil
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Now whenever you think a Ghost might switch in you simply Swords Dance up and OHKO or 2HKO them with the appropriate move (it's good to wait for them to lose a little health so you can guarantee the KO without getting burnt by a second Will-O-Wisp). Also your EdgeQuake combo gains a lot of power.

With these two additions you gain a little more offensive presence which is something I felt you were lacking before with only Galvantula being able to attack well (Absol is basically relegated to trapping and revenging).

I would recommend AGAINST using mixed Clefable. Instead, use this set:

Clefable @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
Nature: Calm
-Trick
-Fire Blast/Thunderbolt
-Heal Bell
-Toxic/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Calm Mind

Tricking a Sticky Barb....the nice thing about using it with Clefable is that the opponent can't generally tell that it is holding it. Heal Bell lets Clefable continue to be a cleric, and then go with either Fire Blast + Toxic or Boltbeam. Pick what you wish.

Hello there!

I have noticed that your team is quite weak to Bugs, and especially Scyther, as if Galvantula dies early, you are left quite open. I agree w/ using Skullcandy's Nidoqueen set as it will give you a Bug resist, and well, what team wouldn't benefit from Nidoqueen?

Good luck!

Hello there!

I have noticed that your team is quite weak to Bugs, and especially Scyther, as if Galvantula dies early, you are left quite open. I agree w/ using Skullcandy's Nidoqueen set as it will give you a Bug resist, and well, what team wouldn't benefit from Nidoqueen?

Good luck!
There is no real weakness to bug because clefable can take any bug special move with ease and scyther can't 2HKO sandslash who has stealth rocks and potentially the stone edge.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello there!

Good luck!
Alomomola can wall scyther all day as well as sandslash

One other question: Why did you use HP Ice on Galvantula? Let's analyze:

Ice coverage
------------------
Grass: Already covered by STAB Bug Buzz
Ground: Not very important as your team has no ground weaknesses.
Flying: Already covered by STAB Thunder
Dragon: Uncommon, doesn't hit Druddigon hard enough to be worth using.

Especially with the issue with Bugs, try HP Fire over HP Ice. It also allows Galvantula to bust through Ferroseed and Escavailer much faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)