Gaming Achievements

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
On the night of December 30th 2022 my friend I sat down to grind out our final mission On Kirby Air Ride city trial. We hadn't seen each other in 2 years and it was finally time to finish we started in middle school.

Post your gaming achievements. This could be a self imposed goal or just something you felt proud of doing while playing a game. phoopes looking at you horse guy.
Snapchat-1317795073.jpg

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

it took me literal YEARS of playing on+off to truly 100% Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy! and lemme tell ya: i love this game so so much for what it is. but hundoing it is brutal.

for context, let's paint a picture of what exactly this game is. Every Buddy! is a remake of Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, released on the Wii in 2008 (as well as a Japan-only DS port). The remake we're discussing was released in 2019 (on my birthday, no less!) on the Switch and PS4. No real core gameplay was changed, aside from a couple new dungeons, some new Jobs, and the Buddy Codex (very important, we'll come back to that).

In terms of gameplay? This honestly feels like Square Enix's answer to the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon franchise. Same sort of dungeon-crawling, turn-based combat, items, even Monster Houses - sorry, Dens of Monsters (to the point where I think Chunsoft ripped off the basis for Wands in Super PMD, tbh). I originally intended to buy it to tide me over until PMD came to the Switch. Dear reader, I never bought Rescue Team DX. This game, while smaller, was scratching this itch quite well.

In terms of 100%ing it, a lot of the checklists weren't that difficult. After you clear all the dungeons (hard but manageable), it's not too hard to max out Chocobo's level and each Job in the game. The one checklist that gave me fits (causing me to put down the game for a few months) was the Buddy Codex: the titular, expansive addition to the game.

The Buddy system in this game allowsyou to not go through dungeons alone - you can take an ally with you. There are four types of Buddies in the game: Story (you recruit them through going through the game or completing optional challenge dungeons), DLC (pay to get some dope Buddies (i absolutely did this)), Monsters, and Bosses.

Let's start with Monsters. All the commonplace enemies in the game belong to a Monster 'family' of some sort. Skeletons, Ghosts, Flans, Bombs, they all go under one banner. You collect Buddy Points by defeating these monsters, which lets you select them as a Buddy. A Buddy basically fills the role of your partner in PMD; they follow you around and fight alongside you. They only have one special attack, but they still make an impact. Oh, and let's say you have the Skeleton Buddy. You've fought a bunch of basic, weak skellies, and you grind enough Buddy Points; you then unlock the Bloody Skeleton at the next 'tier' of that family. Buddy Points are for all members of that Monster family. Also, Bloody Skeleton is a very high-tier companion. Just a small note.

Collecting all of these is tedious, sure, but doable. Granted, some of them can only be found in an optional dungeon with an obscure-as-hell unlock method (you have to encounter a given Monster at least once to unlock it), but it can be done with enough time. So, why am I rambling to you about what WASN'T the problem, instead of getting to what WAS? I'll tell you why: Boss Buddies.

As you might expect, this game has several boss encounters at the end of dungeons. And just like with Monsters, you can get their Buddy Points and recruit them. You have to go find them in their very specific places, but if you outlevel them enough, it's generally trivial. Each Boss requires 5 Buddy Points to unlock. Most of the time, you get 1 BP for each victory, but you can sometimes get 2. As a result, each Boss usually takes 3 defeats to unlock, sometimes 4 if you're unlucky.

With all of that context established, now I can explain the singularly most frustrating obstacle in the game: Omega and Mystery Dungeon. Mystery Dungeon is a Purity-Forest-style challenge; start with Chocobo and your Buddy at level 1 and no items, and make your way down 50 floors to the end. The thing is, there's a boss at the end: Omega. And this motherfucker is terrifying. He has so many AoE moves, and can easily wipe you if you don't scour the whole dungeon and key almost your entire scrounged inventory just to beat him. We're talking fixed-damage projectile, powerful spellbooks, tons of Phoenix Downs (revive you on death), the whole works. Purity Forest with a boss at the end is brutal enough in and of itself; it's a crazy challenge, and it's quite easy to wipe before you get the end.

But Omega drops Buddy Points. Omega can be recruited.

So you have to do it again.

Your odds of getting through this dungeon ONCE aren't great. Sure, your Job still has all of its capabilities, but you have to resource manage, make sure you're leveling up at a good pace, and keep picking up everything you can for the final confrontation. The first time I got to the bottom, I wiped in 3 turns. The robot just annihilated me because I wasn't ready. He can haste himself to move twice as fast, stun you, remove your buffs (including a Phoenix Down if you prepared it already!), and that's not even mentioning his insane damage output. You MUST center your run around the boss. If you don't, no matter what you scrounged to get this far, you've already lost.

It took months of attempts on and off to beat him once. Then another couple to beat him again. When I struck the finishing blow on my third attempt, I prayed for a 2 BP drop. I had 3 already, and needed this to be over.

I got 1. I had to do it again.

When I finally recruited that bastard, I felt so victorious. This game, this game that I loved, had been conquered. Everything was done; there was nothing left to obtain. I still play it from time to time, doing little challenge runs for myself with self-imposed restrictions. But knowing that I reached the summit of Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy! was a feeling I'll never forget.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The final stage of Super Smash Bros. Brawl’s iconic story mode, titled “The Great Maze” is a very large compilation of areas the player has visited previously throughout the adventure. The stage’s main gimmick consists of fighting you way through all previously encountered fighters and boss battles before gaining access to the final boss. The sheer size of the stage warrants the existence of save points around the map. As such, normally when people play this stage, they’ll try and find a good stopping point before continuing the rest of the stage on later play sessions.

Unless you’re me. I currently don’t have access to my Wii U I did this on to display any sort of proof, but in my most recent playthrough of the story mode I decided to try and complete the entire stage on Intense difficulty (the highest level) up to the final boss in a single sitting. I didn’t get any “game overs” prior to reach said final boss either, and was eventually able to pull this off after over five and a half hours of grinding out both the stage and the final boss. My final score for completing the stage was well over 600,000 points from defeating enemies and bosses along the way.

Back in SWSH, I began shiny hunting via masuda method. I eventually hatched my first and favorite shiny, Ralts. Alternatively, there was the time I accidentally got a shiny carkoal when it drove into me. Getting Ralts pretty much led to me obtaining many more shinies (whether I got them myself or from the Wi-Fi room). I really need to start shiny hunting in SV.

When Majora's Mask 3D came out, I beat it 99%. The last 1% is me missing a song... I never played the song to slow down time! Felt like a cool achievement since the time management aspect of that game felt daunting when I was younger.

In Gen 5, using the Gen 4 DS games for support, I completed a competitive RNG Pokedex for everything you could use in VGC, and nearly the entire Pokedex. In the end, the only Pokemon I ended up missing were Arceus and Mew, since I didn't have a Mew wondercard to RNG manipulate and the DW RNG was a pain in the ass and I didn't want to do the 2011 Arceus event. Most of them were uploaded to the now defunct Pokecheck, and I even saw some of them win regional championships :heart: This also lead to me fighting my own excadrill in real life at a regional.

my fellow gamers... i come to this thread with grace and humility as i must ask for your help in achieving my Gaming Achievment. as of this post, i sit at #2 on the gen 3 random battles ladder, #3 on the generation 4 random battles ladder, and #4 on the generation 5 random battles ladder. now... the keen-eyed among you may see my issue: i seek to be ranked 3 in gen 3, rank 4 in gen 4, and rank 5 in gen 5. the problem, however, is that we lack young men with the skill capable of defeating me. in fact, yesterday i went to bed ranked #3 in generation 3, only to wake up second. even when i am sleeping all i am capable of is winning. i beg of you, random battle players, get good you sacks of shit, and help my obtain what i consider to be my greatest Gaming Achievment.

my fellow gamers... i come to this thread with grace and humility as i must ask for your help in achieving my Gaming Achievment. as of this post, i sit at #2 on the gen 3 random battles ladder, #3 on the generation 4 random battles ladder, and #4 on the generation 5 random battles ladder. now... the keen-eyed among you may see my issue: i seek to be ranked 3 in gen 3, rank 4 in gen 4, and rank 5 in gen 5. the problem, however, is that we lack young men with the skill capable of defeating me. in fact, yesterday i went to bed ranked #3 in generation 3, only to wake up second. even when i am sleeping all i am capable of is winning. i beg of you, random battle players, get good you sacks of shit, and help my obtain what i consider to be my greatest Gaming Achievment.
after weeks of waking up higher on the leaderboard than the day before, i have achieved my Gaming Achievment™ after going 5 days without playing, to the point where i had dropped to 10th on the Gen 4 ladder and played the perfect opponent to bring me to my rightful spot.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 1.27.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 1.26.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 1.27.16 PM.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)