Pokémon Garchomp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason to use Mega Garchomp over Kyurem-B other than STAB Sand Force Earthquake and a better typing?

I would suggest adding non mega garchomp sets because garchomp isnt only strong in mega, especially seeing as his speed drops drastically and you can only have 1 mega on the team.

Does Garchomp retain Iron Tail as an egg move? Haven't tried to breed one with it but hypothetically a Jolly 252 Attack EV set holding a Choice Band could potentially be a surprise Fairy killer. No?

Does Garchomp retain Iron Tail as an egg move? Haven't tried to breed one with it but hypothetically a Jolly 252 Attack EV set holding a Choice Band could potentially be a surprise Fairy killer. No?
Garchomp gets iron tail from Aggron. But you gotta ask yourself, is iron tail's 75% accuracy really worth it over poison jab? Also, Azumarill takes neutral damage from iron tail. He's one of the more relevant threats right now.

Garchomp gets iron tail from Aggron. But you gotta ask yourself, is iron tail's 75% accuracy really worth it over poison jab? Also, Azumarill takes neutral damage from iron tail. He's one of the more relevant threats right now.
True. Just throwing it out there. He can also learn Iron Head, if he still can in this generation, with 30% flinch chance. It's smarter to defend against fairies in other ways, just thought it would be funny to see a Garchomp, though 75% chance, OHKO a fairy.

Is SD mega Garchomp still a good option or is better used as a Mixed attacker/Wallbreaker. Regular Garchomp probably makes a better SD sweeper overall but who says you have to mega evolve straight away? You can stay regular Garchomp while you need the speed and when all the faster Pokémon are either KO'ed or slowed by sticky web you can Mega Evolve and gain more power. Although the loss of an item for regular Garchomp may hurt its viability. Was thinking of a set like this

Garchomp @Garchompite
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Jolly/Naive nature
- Sword dance
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Poison Jab

haunter

Banned deucer.
Ice types are indeed terrible defensively. Typing-wise Garchomp and Kyu-B aren't even remotely comparable, so let's not even start the comparison here. Ice makes Cube weak to SR, bullet punch, mach punch and in return only provides neutrality to ice type attacks. If Cube wasn't part-ice, then we would have never unbanned it in Gen V.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Point taken, but STAB Ice Beam still has its own merits. Either way Kyu-B and Chomp play differently (mixed wallbreaker vs physical sweeper) and they're not in direct competition as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty sure Iron Tail's accuracy was upped to 90%.

That said, I still think Poison Jab is the superior option here.

Scary Fairy types are:

Mawile / Azumaril / Togekiss / Gardevoir.

EQ will do better on Mawile than either a Steel or Poison Attack.

Azumaril takes Neutral Damage from Steel, SE from Poison

Togekiss takes SE from both Poison and Steel.

Gardevoir takes SE from Steel, Neutral from Poison, although I do think that EQ will be sufficient for most Gardevoirs.

As such, I think Poison is the better choice for being able to check Azumaril.

Last edited:
I disagree with any idea that involves Garchomp being less of a threat than it was in BW. XY gave Garchomp a direct buff(Mega Evo), some indirect nerfs (fairy types), and some potential metagame buffs (i'll explain in a bit)

Garchomp is still a monstrosity, one of the few Dragons that can plow through fairies better than the others can, while still being the powerful beast with coverage to back it up. First of all, Garchomp got a mega evolution that would be awesome or adequate depending on how XY is played. With a lot of items to run that benefit a slower paced way of playing, making most top tier meta pokemon relying on Bulky Offense (there was a thread about this). Garchomp fits perfectly into the Bulky Offense mode like it did in early/mid DPP and BW. If the metagame is slow enough, Mega Garchomp would be a premier threat, since its speed wouldn't be that big of a deal (same goes for Hydreigon actually, but fairy). Another thing to note is that the rise of fairies will make Mamoswine much less common, so Garchomp can go crazy.

The checks I expect to see to the Chomper are your typical stuff we saw in BW. Skarmory and Hippo are the main things, although hippo would be less common. XY checks to Chomp would be Talonflame and Fairy Togekiss, which do p well against it.

Movesets would also change a bit, with Rock Slide being potentially used more on SD sets (rather than say.. Fire Fang or Aqua Tail) along with Mega Garchomp luring abilities being used for some team concepts.

Overall, Garchomp is still a damn beast.

Why are people scared of mawile as garchomp? This thing gets destroyed by EQ lol. Togekiss is the only thing it has to worry about and this probably means people will start running stone edge or poison jab. I'm pretty sure edge will OHKO it after rocks too. Garchomp is going to be beast, like always.

Edit - pretty sure gardevoir just dies to EQ, atleast the ones I've faced. Thing seems like a waste of a mega stone.

I'm pretty sure this thing 2HKOs stall under sand. With dedicated sand support (maybe a Hard Rock Sandstorm/U-Turn scout?) it can do some work.

Tested and it OHKOs standard Blissey in sand with EQ lol

Outrage is actually not that bad a move to use in X/Y if you aren't choiced, sure it does nothing to fairies, but it also ends without confusion (also you could just.... be smart and predict the switch).

Outrage is actually not that bad a move to use in X/Y if you aren't choiced, sure it does nothing to fairies, but it also ends without confusion (also you could just.... be smart and predict the switch).
Considering my thrashing dodrio got confused by a ghost switch in... I think they changed the mechanic.

Considering my thrashing dodrio got confused by a ghost switch in... I think they changed the mechanic.
Really? That's interesting. All I've read is that multi-turn confusion inducing moves end early and do not induce confusion when they hit an immunity.

Going to test Outrage on a fairy type and get back.

E: Tested with a Dragonite using Outrage on a Flabebé. Outrage did nothing, no confusion, I could switch moves on the next turn.

EE: Seems that the move only ends early without confusion IF you have dealt no damage with it previously. If Outrage already hit something, switching an immunity into it will cause the second hit to end and cause confusion.

Last edited:
Really? That's interesting. All I've read is that multi-turn confusion inducing moves end early and do not induce confusion when they hit an immunity.

Going to test Outrage on a fairy type and get back.

E: Tested with a Dragonite using Outrage on a Flabebé. Outrage did nothing, no confusion, I could switch moves on the next turn.
perhaps it was because they switched in on thrash's last turn or something....
wait a minute... you most likely weren't confused because you weren't in the locked in phase.
You just selected outrage on flabebe, but it didn't start the lock in phase because of it being immune to the initial blow. I'm not saying it would lock you in other wise, it'd still end, but now you get confused if the streak is broken by an immunity.

Multi-turn locking moves do NOT induce confusion if they deal no damage before the last turn. If it deals no damage in the last turn, they still get confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)