Pokémon Garchomp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Outrage is actually not that bad a move to use in X/Y if you aren't choiced, sure it does nothing to fairies, but it also ends without confusion (also you could just.... be smart and predict the switch).
Even Choiced Chomp is still a substantial menace despite the pixies.
I run a Banded Chomp on Showdown and I peaked at #5 on XY OU just last night.

Probably because it's one of the bulkiest offensive Pokemon ever and dies EASILY to a +2 Sucker Punch even without rocks.

96.08 - 113.12%

It doesn't even use a freaking Life Orb. Scizor can't even do something like that WITH Life Orb.
That is impressive but what's with everyone posting calcs always at +2

Unless you run a sand team, a Garchomp is more then viable as is.

Choice Scarf

Iron head
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Outrage

Not sure if this can be on X/Y but this is a B2 set that I will transfer over in December. Seems to cover all bases with this set.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Garchomp's playstyle changes quite a bit imo after Mega Evo. It goes from a hard-hitting physical attacker that trolls the common base 100 Speed tier to a super strong wallbreaker that trolls one of the best offensive pivots from BW OU, Landorous-T. When Mega, Garchomp doesn't have the Speed needed to sweep, but it can certainly blow up some holes in the opposing team. Here's a set to think about imo:

Mega Mixed Attacker
(Mega) Garchomp @ Garchompite
Trait: (Rough Skin) Sand Force
EVs: 240 Spe / whatever EVs that optimize offenses
Nature: Naughty / Naive
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge / Poison Jab
- Fire Blast

So, yeah, basically, you come in and start doing serious damage to stuff. The best part is that you can keep Garchomp in its normal forme until you either need Draco or Fire Blast or when you are outsped but can utilize the extra bulk gained through Mega Evo and survive the oncoming attack. Earthquake is the reliable physical STAB and it smashes every Fairy-type not named Togekiss p. hard. Draco Meteor is your other STAB and it smashes most EQ-immune Pokemon. The only Pokemon that can easily take this combination is Togekiss, so your 3rd move is almost exlusively for it. Stone Edge is more specialized and gets a stronger hit on Togekiss while getting better general coverage. Poison Jab is an alternative to nail all Fairy-types bar Mawile, who is ruined by EQ anyway. Fire Blast rounds out the coverage to handle physically defensive Steels that can take a Draco Meteor to the face (Ferrothorn and Skarmory being the big two) The Speed EVs let Garchomp outspeed base 100s before activating Mega Evolution while it still allows Garchomp to beat out Lucario (make sure it hasn't Mega Evolved!) and other base 90s after Mega Evo.

I do believe that regular Garchomp is better than mega. As Yeah Galo Sengan aforementioned, a bulky megachomp set with SR has too many common weaknesses to be viable. Also, mega chomp's speed stabs it with a very large knife; assuming megachomp runs an adamant nature, it gets outsped by almost every positive-natured offensive pokemon, and if it runs jolly, the speed isn't much better. LO garchomp does a significant amount more damage than megachomp, also. Basically, i don't think that megachomp is worth using over the regular one.

does anyone know if MegaChomp's Iron Head is better than Poison Jab during a Sandstorm. Specifically for Azumaraill. If it is it might be a better anti-fairy option on sand teams.

Also, since speed calculations for the turn are made before MegaEvolution, if you predicted the switch you could choose to not go MegaChomp on the turn you used SD, in order to keep the higher base speed for hitting the switch-in.

does anyone know if MegaChomp's Iron Head is better than Poison Jab during a Sandstorm. Specifically for Azumaraill. If it is it might be a better anti-fairy option on sand teams.

Also, since speed calculations for the turn are made before MegaEvolution, if you predicted the switch you could choose to not go MegaChomp on the turn you used SD, in order to keep the higher base speed for hitting the switch-in.
I definitely think it is, +33% is nice, but for Azumarill, Poison Jab is still better.

And people: With Sand Force, Mega Garchomp's EQ is so enormous, that I'm almost positive it can OHKO everything that is not immune.

I'v been trying out setup dragons as sweepers and they've not ben working out too well with the huge power/speed creep and the abundance of the fairies. I'd even go as far as saying things like DDMence isn't strong or fast enough in the current meta.
Wallbreaking dragon sets, however, have been working great.
Something like what EonX posted above and the Kyu-B has been serving me well.

Garchomp seems like its going to be pretty good this gen. Using the Mega stone, Garchomp can transform into what is essentially a slightly modified Kyurem-b and wreak havoc upon stall teams. A resistance to SR, immunity to Sand damage and lack of LO recoil only aide Garchomp in doing so.

The best thing about Garchomp and its Mega evo is that you don't have to Mega Evolve immediately, meaning that you can bluff a Scarf set or stay as regular Garchomp against offensive teams to outpace mons like Thundurus-T, Landorus-I, and Volcarona. I would honestly say that the Garchompite is the best item for it unless you are using another mega evo or want it to use a Choice item because it aides Garchomp in its wallbreaking capabilities and against offense, Garchomp doesn't really need another item to be threatening.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Is it possible to get a Garchomp with Outrage and Iron Head before Pokebank? It seems like it might be possible, but I can't work out how. Or do I have to use Poison Jab for fairy coverage right now.

Thank you.

Is it possible to get a Garchomp with Outrage and Iron Head before Pokebank? It seems like it might be possible, but I can't work out how. Or do I have to use Poison Jab for fairy coverage right now.

Thank you.
No, it can't right now, even with the new breeding mechanics, as there's no compatible pokémon that learns both without the BW2 tutors, Garchomp itself included

... unless there's a movepool change or a new pokémon that learns both and can breed with Garchomp

No, it can't right now, even with the new breeding mechanics, as there's no compatible pokémon that learns both without the BW2 tutors, Garchomp itself included

... unless there's a movepool change or a new pokémon that learns both and can breed with Garchomp
Outrage is a little too risky these days. I've managed just fine with Swords Dance, Earthquake, Dragon Claw and Iron Head. Although I'll admit that isn't the best set to have, it catches fairies off guard and crushes them dead.

You can get Outrage in game (I've done it myself) via Egg Moves, personally I used a Druddigon to transfer it.

On the same note you might be able to get Iron Head from Aggron the same way, I haven't tried though.

tumblr_mviaqjhjIm1r5iwqdo1_500.jpg

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So any idea how you get both on the same set then?
Male Aggron with Iron Head and Female Gible with Outrage.

Stone Edge is better on Garchomp anyway, because EQ 2hkoes all the fairies not called Togekiss, and the mighty as fuck granbull. Stone Edge also hits Togekiss, Gyarados, bulky Volcarona harder, who are bigger threats than most fairies.

Last edited:
I completely forgot about the possibility of passing egg moves with the parent of the same evolutionary line >.<

Noob question: So how does Chomp get SR in-game XY?? Is it available yet? Can't find anything anywhere as far as SR as level up and unsure if egg move.

Thanks beforehand!

It's worth mentioning here that if you Outrage without a choice item and hit a fairy type, you will be able to switch/change moves the next turn without incurring the confusion penalty.
Though I realize this is what a lot of people have been saying about Outrage and Fairy-type switch-ins, it is not my experience on Wi-Fi Battle Spot. I have actually been locked into non-choiced Outrage against Mawile. So unless Battle Spot has some weird exception to the game's Outrage mechanics in general, this is false. :\

I think that Mega Garchomp is outclassed by Kyurem-B in OU. The lack of a held item hurts and Kyurem-B is naturally faster by 3 base speed points and can hold a item. It is also easily revenge killed by other dragon and ice typed Pokemon despite better defenses such as Salamence, Weavile, and many more. It also needs sandstorm to make use of Sand Force while Kyurem-B doesn't need weather support.

These flaws aside, I liked the addition of Mega Garchomp on the battlefield. It has monster offenses (170 Attack) and Sand force to pack an extra punch. The only thing I dislike about Mega Garchomp is its speed, as its awkward 92 Speed makes it very hard to sweep, since the OU tier contains Pokemon with over 100 base speed.

I currently have a Gible in Pokemon X and I would like to give it a try. Maybe I will invest in HP and Attack...

Iron Head had 80 base power; with sand force Iron Head has 106 power (80x4/3), but does neutral to Azumarill. Poison Jab is also 80 base power, 160 power against Azumarill since water/fairy is weak to poison. Iron Head has coverage against Rock, Ice, and Fairy types. Poison Jab is good against Grass and Fairy types. The choice is up to you.

You also have to consider other threats such as Steel types that would switch into Poison Jab and sun and rain users that takes Iron Head (fire and water resist steel). If you try to use obscure moves (iron head and poison jab weren't listed in the Garchomp OU BW analysis), then you'll have too many checks and counters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)