Pokémon Garganacl

apparently garganacl has been in consideration for appearing on the radar. what's made it a potentially problematic mon in the meta?
Without assuming it is an issue, Salt Cure gives it pretty sizable and spammable passive damage, especially against some of the would-be Bulkier mons in the tier, while it has things like ID and Recover for longevity. This alongside the immunity to Status (like Toxic) can make it tricky to wear down while Salt Cure doesn't leave it sitting without progress on mons it fails to directly damage.

one somewhat busted set is this one:

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Salt Cure
- Curse

one interesting thins about the ability purifying salt is that it gives you resistance to ghost types.
and ghost types only weaknessess are other ghost types and dark types.
so right now you are only weak to dark type moves.

terrastal phenomenon allows you to abuse curse and deal 25% damage on anything,also garganacle has both good defences AND a reliable recovery option.

Last edited:
(Garganacl) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Curse
- Body Slam

tera ghost + curse

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Salt Cure
- Curse

one interesting thins about the ability purifying salt is that it gives you resistance to ghost types.

terrastal phenomenon allows you to abuse curse and deal 25% damage on anything,also garganacle has both good defences AND a reliable recovery option.
Salt Cure only does 25% chip damage on Water and Steel types. It's 12.5% on everything else (Same as normal poisoning). Still, makes little sense to me that Salt Cure doesn't also inflict more damage on Grass and Ghost types since salt is the oldest herbicide in human history, and salt is supposed to ward off ghosts and evil, not to mention its ability already halves Ghost attacks, so why not go all the way?

EDIT: I did not realize you meant after terra-ing into Ghost that Curse becomes a 1/4 health status. My apologies. Though I find it hard to imagine halving your HP is worth a status that can easily be swapped out to cure. Or am I missing something?

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
EDIT: I did not realize you meant after terra-ing into Ghost that Curse becomes a 1/4 health status. My apologies. Though I find it hard to imagine halving your HP is worth a status that can easily be swapped out to cure. Or am I missing something?
Players are finding that Garganacl can pay that cost and then easily Recover the damage away when facing other walls. The set targets walls and weaker set-up Pokemon like Espathra, and is weaker at generically checking regular attackers.

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Salt Cure
- Curse

I hit 1700 with a stall team that featured this set. 10/10 would recommend.

You don't abuse tera + curse every game. But when it's good, it's goooooooood.

i've already made a post about it in the bugs thread, but i'd like to share the info that Salt Cure residual damage is not negated by the Covert Cloak item, even though it is negated in-game. so once that bug gets fixed, maybe Covert Cloak will be worth considering in scenarios where you're very weak to or frustrated with Garganacl.

at the very least, i don't think it's fair to have any discussions about Garganacl being on the radar potentially, when its signature move is not working as intended.

I ran into someone on ladder who led with it and used this set:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark
Impish Nature
- Block
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
Tera Dark + Block on turn 1 and you completely shut down lead Grimmsnarl, contains it for long enough to kill it with Salt Cure and screens will probably be gone by that time. I run max atk Play Rough on mine because it beats other Grimmsnarl but that didn't do enough damage to actually kill this thing through Recover. The opportunity cost is high but I totally respect it

I ran into someone on ladder who led with it and used this set:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Dark
Impish Nature
- Block
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
Tera Dark + Block on turn 1 and you completely shut down lead Grimmsnarl, contains it for long enough to kill it with Salt Cure and screens will probably be gone by that time. I run max atk Play Rough on mine because it beats other Grimmsnarl but that didn't do enough damage to actually kill this thing through Recover. The opportunity cost is high but I totally respect it
Scizor with bullet punch+steel tera+choice band=guaranteed OHKO against grimsnarl before grimsnarl sets any shields.

As everyone else has been saying, Ghost tera plus curse is freaking amazing on this thing. Hell, curse and Body press pre teralstioze is fantastic, and salt cure is such an amazing move. you pretty much force switches to happen or get so much free passive damage. Plus its bulk is so good that even after a ghost curse you can recover back up for another curse. Its nutty that this salty minecraft is so good i love it haha.

Hell I even got on in game from a tera raid that was ghost and had Perfect HP, attack, and Defense IVs.

Yeah, but like... the Grimmsnarl user will see Scizor on the opponent's team and just not lead Grimmsnarl because they know it'll get OHKOed by it.
I have used scizor like this a lots of times and my opponents have never once switched after seeing scizor.
they just let their grimsnarl die.

I agree with the feeling of many that Garganacl just like Dondozo should at least be watched over and on the radar. Incredibly strong mons that can wall almost anything and kill back/set up/do enough dmg to eventually kill you.

In the right teams (mostly defensively focused ones where they can cover their few weaknesses with other mons) they can become truly gargantuan monsters impossible to take down as both have good recovery and status inmunity.

Salt Curing Tank
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
Careful Nature
- Salt Cure
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Recover

This mon has absurd bulk (100/130/90), and Salt Cure forces a lot of switches (especially Steel types, ironically). Thus, it gets plenty of opportunities to use Iron Defense and Recover to restore health lost in the meantime, allowing it to freely spam Body Press. Being immune to status moves is a nice bonus on top of it. Tera flying ensures it's immune to Ground type moves, and resists Fighting type moves (Great Tusk in shambles)

Garganacle is one of those Pokémon that is crazy hard to actually take down. Rock type may have traditionally not be a good defensive typing, but this Pokémon is the exception. Immunity to Toxic/TS and Salt Cure really push it to another level. Also has good bulk on both sides and recover. A top tier threat.

i've already made a post about it in the bugs thread, but i'd like to share the info that Salt Cure residual damage is not negated by the Covert Cloak item, even though it is negated in-game. so once that bug gets fixed, maybe Covert Cloak will be worth considering in scenarios where you're very weak to or frustrated with Garganacl.
To add to this, I wanted to toss out some technology from 3v3 stuff that’s caught on. Not sure if it translates 1-to-1 to 6v6 but thought I’d make the mention to get a little bit of testing out there.

Covert Cloak Annihilape just outright counters Garganacl and turns the Minecraft seed into Rage Punch damage and set up time. The cloak gives it an immunity to Salt Cure’s passive damage, and you’re of course naturally immune to Body Press stuff. It’s pretty rad in BSS. Relying entirely on Drain Punch for your health is definitely a big set back, and one that gets amplified by the longer games of 6v6, but it might be worth it on specific teams if you really want to get this thing out of the way.

Edit for below: Yeah, Fissue will beat ape without Tera Flying in 3v3, I was talking about the OHKO-void varieties you'll end up only facing in 6v6.

Last edited:
To add to this, I wanted to toss out some technology from 3v3 stuff that’s caught on. Not sure if it translates 1-to-1 to 6v6 but thought I’d make the mention to get a little bit of testing out there.

Covert Cloak Annihilape just outright counters Garganacl and turns the Minecraft seed into Rage Punch damage and set up time. The cloak gives it an immunity to Salt Cure’s passive damage, and you’re of course naturally immune to Body Press stuff. It’s pretty rad in BSS. Relying entirely on Drain Punch for your health is definitely a big set back, and one that gets amplified by the longer games of 6v6, but it might be worth it on specific teams if you really want to get this thing out of the way.
yea but don't gargs in BSS run fissure?

Edit for below: Yeah, Fissue will beat ape without Tera Flying in 3v3, I was talking about the OHKO-void varieties you'll end up only facing in 6v6.
I thought one-hit KO moves were banned for their luck reliance?

OHKO moves are banned.

But yeah, this thing is terrifying. Every time I encounter Garg in an enemy team I just quietly whisper prayers to myself. If I let it set up with ID Body Press I'm dead for the rest of the encounter, so I either +6 Azumarill that thing as fast as possible or just instantly lose. The fact you can't stall it out either due to Recover + Purifying Salt is what makes it the ultimate example of a stallmon.

Might be a bit much to say that if you don't have something to counter it you're toast, but then again Gholdengo is in every team and OHKOs a +SpD max SpD IVs Nacl with a Nasty-Plot Boosted Make it Rain so. Guess that evens out.

Tera ghost + curse is still my favorite set. Blocks rapid spin, forces switches, and takes advantage of hazards like none other.

You don't have to tera to be useful, either. Can just curse up without tera to get extra bulky while also making purifying salt hit harder.

Just wanted to say that Covert Cloak/Defog Corviknight shuts down Stealth Rock/Protect Garganacl entirely, while Pressure limits Salt Cure on all other variants.
Iron Defense + Body press gargnacl sets can actually deal with Covert Cloak Corviknight

Corviknight loses it's flying type on the turn it uses Roost, so body press becomes super-effective against it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)