Doubles Gastrodon (Doubles)

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion

Gastrodon-East @ Wiki Berry / Groundium Z
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 236 HP / 152 Def / 36 SpA / 84 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

Great typing, nice coverage, and decent bulk give Gastrodon a good matchup against many top-tier threats of Doubles like Incineroar, Mega Metagross, Tapu Koko, and Zygarde! Recover sets it apart from other bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini and Suicune, and Toxic is a nice option over Protect that cripples switch-ins like Chansey and Tapu Bulu. The given EV spread and a Relaxed nature allow Gastrodon to survive Landorus-T's Tectonic Rage and two Ice Beams from Life Orb Kyurem-B, and minimized Speed helps it function in Trick Room well. Fire-types like Incineroar and Volcarona are Gastrodon's best teammates because they scare off Grass-types and enjoy Gastrodon's Storm Drain. Grass-types like Kartana and Amoonguss are good teammates too, as they appreciate Gastrodon reliably beating Fire-types, while in return they threaten bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini and Suicune that can kind of ignore Gastrodon.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Thank you for making the set Gastrodon-East :blobthumbsup:

First, a few nitpicky things:
  • Earth Power isn't really chosen specifically for other Gastrodon, more for things like Steels (Mega Metagross being the big one) and Fire-types like Volcanion, Incineroar, Victini, all of which are hit harder by it than by Scald
  • Minimized Speed doesn't only help *against* Trick Room, since Gastrodon is fairly commonly seen on Trick Room teams. Up to you how to reword this
  • I'd also mention Grass-types as great partners because Gastro reliably beats all Fire-types aside from Zard Y and they take down the bulky Water-types that can kind of ignore it
  • Maybe slash Toxic after Protect, you can get away with more slashes or mentions here than you can on analyses, and it's been a fairly popular pick especially in larger tournaments. I think you'd be fine just mentioning it in the description if you want though
Now, a couple more general notes:
  • Storm Drain is more of an added bonus for why Gastrodon's good. It's mostly that it's typing, coverage, and bulk give it pretty solid matchups against a majority of the meta. Metagross, Incineroar, Landorus-T, Zapdos, Mega Manectric, Volcanion, Zygarde, and Tapu Koko all dislike facing a Gastrodon and that's only the mons in the top two tiers. I'd focus more on mentioning its positive matchups than talking about the importance of Storm Drain.
    • On this note, the most popular and common Water-type attack, Muddy Water, doesn't even get fully neutralized by Storm Drain
  • Recover is a fairly important part of Gastrodon's viability - it's a nuisance to so many mons that being able to reliably keep itself healthy gives it a niche over Pokemon like Tapu Fini that don't have any recovery. I'd go into this a little bit more
Do the above^ and I'll give this a quick look before stamping; I trust you to get these right, but with only one check I have to be sure

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Thank you for making the set Gastrodon-East :blobthumbsup:

First, a few nitpicky things:
  • Earth Power isn't really chosen specifically for other Gastrodon, more for things like Steels (Mega Metagross being the big one) and Fire-types like Volcanion, Incineroar, Victini, all of which are hit harder by it than by Scald
  • Minimized Speed doesn't only help *against* Trick Room, since Gastrodon is fairly commonly seen on Trick Room teams. Up to you how to reword this
  • I'd also mention Grass-types as great partners because Gastro reliably beats all Fire-types aside from Zard Y and they take down the bulky Water-types that can kind of ignore it
  • Maybe slash Toxic after Protect, you can get away with more slashes or mentions here than you can on analyses, and it's been a fairly popular pick especially in larger tournaments. I think you'd be fine just mentioning it in the description if you want though
Now, a couple more general notes:
  • Storm Drain is more of an added bonus for why Gastrodon's good. It's mostly that it's typing, coverage, and bulk give it pretty solid matchups against a majority of the meta. Metagross, Incineroar, Landorus-T, Zapdos, Mega Manectric, Volcanion, Zygarde, and Tapu Koko all dislike facing a Gastrodon and that's only the mons in the top two tiers. I'd focus more on mentioning its positive matchups than talking about the importance of Storm Drain.
    • On this note, the most popular and common Water-type attack, Muddy Water, doesn't even get fully neutralized by Storm Drain
  • Recover is a fairly important part of Gastrodon's viability - it's a nuisance to so many mons that being able to reliably keep itself healthy gives it a niche over Pokemon like Tapu Fini that don't have any recovery. I'd go into this a little bit more
Do the above^ and I'll give this a quick look before stamping; I trust you to get these right, but with only one check I have to be sure
Implemented, thx. West form sucks.

Egor

RoAPL Champion
Thx tree. Sending this to the gp.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

Relaxed Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

Great typing, good (or any adjective) coverage, and decent bulk give Gastrodon a good matchup against many top-tier threats of Doubles like Incineroar, Mega Metagross, Tapu Koko, and Zygarde! Access to Recover sets it apart from other bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini and Suicune, keeping Gastrodon healthy over the course of a battle. (filler, though kinda borderline so if you wanna keepthen idrc) and Toxic is a nice option over Protect which that cripples Gastrodon's switch-ins like Chansey and Tapu Bulu. The given EV spread and a Relaxed nature allow Gastrodon to survive Landorus-T's Tectonic Rage and two Ice Beams from Life Orb Kyurem-B's Ice Beams, and minimized Speed helps it function in Trick Room well. Fire-types like Incineroar and Volcarona are Gastrodon's best teammates because they scare off Grass-types and enjoy Gastrodon's Storm Drain. Grass-types like Kartana and Amoonguss are good teammates too, as they appreciate Gastrodon reliably beating Fire-types, while in return they threaten bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini and Suicune that can kind of ignore Gastrodon.

Egor

RoAPL Champion

Relaxed Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

Great typing, good (or any adjective) coverage, and decent bulk give Gastrodon a good matchup against many top-tier threats of Doubles like Incineroar, Mega Metagross, Tapu Koko, and Zygarde! Access to Recover sets it apart from other bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini and Suicune, keeping Gastrodon healthy over the course of a battle. (filler, though kinda borderline so if you wanna keepthen idrc) and Toxic is a nice option over Protect which that cripples Gastrodon's switch-ins like Chansey and Tapu Bulu. The given EV spread and a Relaxed nature allow Gastrodon to survive Landorus-T's Tectonic Rage and two Ice Beams from Life Orb Kyurem-B's Ice Beams, and minimized Speed helps it function in Trick Room well. Fire-types like Incineroar and Volcarona are Gastrodon's best teammates because they scare off Grass-types and enjoy Gastrodon's Storm Drain. Grass-types like Kartana and Amoonguss are good teammates too, as they appreciate Gastrodon reliably beating Fire-types, while in return they threaten bulky Water-types like Tapu Fini and Suicune that can kind of ignore Gastrodon.
Implemented, thx. The spotlight is done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)