XY OU Geico's Got you Covered

I've always loved Sceptile. It had a cool design, amazing Speed, very diverse Movepool, and overall attitude. However, I always felt it was made to be inferior to the other two Hoenn Starters, Blaziken and Swampert, as it was the only one of the three to not receive a dual typing. When ORAS was announced, and I heard Sceptile was probably gonna get a Mega, I prayed it would become Grass/Dragon. And so my wish came true! And here is one of my many attempts to create a powerful Mega Sceptile Team. However, I'm going to something a little different this time around.

Instead of taking advantage of Sceptile's amazing base 145 Special Attack, I'm deciding to try a Physical Mega Sceptile. I know, sounds stupid right? Well, keep on reading, and I just may change your perceptive on that my friends. As usual, feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Sceptile-Mega (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Chop
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake

Now, I know what you must be thinking. There is a 25 Base Stat difference between Sceptile's Special Attack, and Physical Attack. Why would I even CONSIDER running a Physical set. Because a Physical set contains something that the Special Set dearly lacks, something that any sweeper needs to do its job.

Set Up moves. Sure, base 145 Special Attack is impressive, but without anything to boost it up even more, it limits Sceptile's Sweeping capabilities greatly. However, with access to Sword's Dance, even with its lower Attack Stat, Sceptile can become a powerful Physical Sweeper.

Dual Chop is the first STAB move here for Sceptile. I chose it over Dragon Claw as it has the same Base Power, but hits twice, allowing to break Subs and Sashes, and Sturdy. Leaf Blade is the secondary STAB move, hitting huge threats like Mega Swampert and Rotom-W. The Final move is Earthquake, as it provides great coverage against Electric-types that Sceptile walls, as well as Steel types, and Mega Beedril. Max Speed EVs and a Jolly Nature allows Sceptile to outspeed and OHKO Adamant Mega Beedril with EQ.

Aggron (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Aggron is an amazing partner for Sceptile, as it covers most, if not all, of its weaknesses. It can easily switch in on Talonflame's Brave Bird and either set up Stealth Rocks for re-entry, or...if they are dumb and stay in, OHKO with Stone Edge. Roar can also be used to get some residual damage off on the opponent's Pokemon, or to get out Pokemon Setting up. Iron Head is the last move as it provides nice STAB, and also hits Fairy types that threaten Sceptile.

Sceptile can also come in on Water attacks and force a switch out. The EV is pretty standard for a defensive set. Aggron already has great physical bulk without an investment, so max HP and Special Defense helps Aggron keep on tanking.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Rounding off the core of out team is Manaphy. After setting up a Tail Glow, Manaphy becomes a very dangerous Special Sweeper. Why it pairs so well with the other two is that Sceptile can come in on Electric and Grass type attacks, and take either no, or very little damage, while Manaphy can come in on Fire and Water types attacks aimed at Aggron.

Surf is the STAB of choice, destroying anything that doesn't resist after a Tail Glow. Ice Beam provides great coverage against Grass, Flying, and Ground type Pokemon, especially against Gliscor and Landorus-Therian. Energy Ball is the last coverage move, providing Manaphy with a way to deal with other Water types, as well as the ever prevalent Mega-Swampert.

Dusclops (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Night Shade
- Taunt

Dusclops is a great Special Wall, especially when paired with Eviolite. Dusclops is just here essentially to provide a little bit of coverage for Aggron's Fighting's Weakness, as well a cripple many threats to the team with Will-O-Wisp. Pain Split helps keep Dusclops healthy, since it only other form of reliable recovery is Rest. Night Shade provides Dusclops with a way to deal damage to all but Normal types. Taunt is the last slot, allowing Dusclops to shut down Sweepers midway to setting up, or Pokemon like Ferrothorn. The EV spread and Nature are to keep Dusclops as bulky as possible.

Staraptor (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Choice Scarf Staraptor is great as it can revenge kill so many threats thanks to its diverse movepool, and impressive power. Brave Bird with STAB and Reckless allows Staraptor to take out most threats that don't resist it. Double Edge is an more powerful STAB move when paired with Reckless, and it can hit for neutral damage anything that you don't feel Brave Bird can take out. Close Combat provides Steel, Fighting, and Normal Coverage, while U-Turn allows Staraptor to scout.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

Latios has got to be my favorite offensive Defogger. When paired with a Life Orb, Latios can deliver devastating STAB Draco Meteors and Psychics. Surf provides some nice coverage (Though it does seem pretty redundant thanks to Manaphy. Thinking of changing this up). Of course, the EV spread, makes Latios fast and powerful, allowing it to deliver its deadly attacks, and able to pick up a quick Defog.

Pent

dumb broad
Hey! Very nice team you got here, and I'm a lot similar with my feeling for Sceptile. I was the one to pick Treecko while everyone picked Torchic or Mudkip. But, onto the rate.

No team is perfect and this one could get use to some change.
Instead of Iron Head on Aggron, I would run Heavy Slam or Metal Burst, since he isn't the most agile, and light as Sceptile is. Next is Manaphy, and I recommend running Scald over Surf, so you can get a possible burn.
On Staraptor, I would run a Choice Band set because without it, you don't do much damage. Also run Final Gambit over Close Combat, use that for the non ghost Walls that come in to ruin your rather pleasant day.
On Latios, I would run Psyshock and HP Fire for more coverage, and to take care of walls like Chansey and Ferrothorn.
Also, make sure to run 0 Atk IVs on each of your special attack users. You take less damage from Confusion and Foul Play that way.

Hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)