Pet Mod [Gen 1] FutureProofing (Complete)

Voting starts now!

We will have a non-ranked vote for each category, meaning that each submission you vote for receives 1 point. The submission with the most votes in each category will be added to the metagame.

You may vote for up to 3 subs in each category. You may vote for your own sub in each category, but only if you vote for 2 other subs with it. If multiple people submitted the same Pokemon in the same category, please specify the submission you're voting for by putting the submitter's username next to it

Voting Example
Dark

Pokemon A
Pokemon B
Pokemon C
Dark
Dark Pokemon A
Dark Pokemon B
Dark Pokemon C

Steel
Steel Pokemon A
Steel Pokemon B
Steel Pokemon C

Fairy
Fairy Pokemon A
Fairy Pokemon B
Fairy Pokemon C

For each category, you may vote for 3 submissions. You may vote for your own submission in every category, but only if you vote for 2 other things in that same category. For example:
Dark
Pokemon A (SV)

Would be an illegal ballot, but

Dark
Pokemon A (SV)
Pokemon B
Pokemon C

Would be legal

Each Pokemon you vote for in each category also has to be in the same category, so the following would be illegal
Dark
Dark Pokemon A (SV)
Fairy Pokemon B
Steel Pokemon C

But this would be legal
Dark
Dark Pokemon A (SV)
Dark Pokemon B
Dark Pokemon C

Each sub gets 1 vote

No submissions are vetoed this slate, so any sub can be voted for

Voting will end in 24 hours

Last edited:
Steel: Empoleon, Escavalier, Excadrill
Fairy: Gardevoir(yoshiblaze), Comfey, Tapu koko
Dark: Drapion (anaconja) , Sableye, Tyranitar
Edit: sorry about that didnt read it fully and got it mixed up.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Steel: Heatran, Stunfisk-Galar (Ema), Escavalier
Dark: Tyranitar, Drapion (Eve), Guzzlord
Fairy: Ribombee, Rapidash-Galar, Gardevoir (Yoshi)

1.Empoleon
2.Gardevoir
3.Escavalier
Hello!

This ballot broke a couple voting rules and isn't formatted quite right, so I'll put a longer example of how to vote below to make it clearer and I'll also add this to the voting post

Dark
Dark Pokemon A
Dark Pokemon B
Dark Pokemon C

Steel
Steel Pokemon A
Steel Pokemon B
Steel Pokemon C

Fairy
Fairy Pokemon A
Fairy Pokemon B
Fairy Pokemon C

For each category, you may vote for 3 submissions. You may vote for your own submission in every category, but only if you vote for 2 other things in that same category. For example:
Dark
Pokemon A (SV)

Dark
Pokemon A (SV)
Pokemon B
Pokemon C

Would be legal

Each Pokemon you vote for in each category also has to be in the same category, so the following would be illegal
Dark
Dark Pokemon A (SV)
Fairy Pokemon B
Steel Pokemon C

But this would be legal
Dark
Dark Pokemon A (SV)
Dark Pokemon B
Dark Pokemon C

Dark
Shiftry
Drapion (Eve)
Guzzlord

Steel
Steelix
Stunfisk-Galar (Yoshiblaze)
Heatran

Fairy
Rapidash-Galar
Gardevoir (Galvanatic)
Weezing-Galar

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Dark
Murkrow
Tyranitar
Drapion (Eve)

Steel
Kartana
Empoleon
Escavalier

Fairy
Shiinotic
Mimikyu
Rapidash-Galar

Dark
Shiftry
Scrafty
Sneasel

Steel
Kartana
Stunfish-Galar (Yoshiblaze, SV)
Heatran

Fairy
Weezing-Galar
Ribombee
Gardevoir (Yoshiblaze, SV)

Voting is now over, let's see what our first additions to the metagame are!
Dark
Tyranitar - 4

Drapion (E) - 3
Guzzlord - 2
Murkrow - 2
Shiftry - 2
Drapion (A) - 1
Sableye - 1
Scrafty - 1
Sneasel - 1
Absol -1

Fairy
Gardevoir (YB) - 4

Rapidash-G - 3
Ribombee - 2
Shiinotic - 2
Tapu Koko - 2
Weezing-Galar - 2
Comfey - 1
Gardevoir (G) - 1
Mimikyu - 1

Steel
Escavalier - 4

Heatran - 3
Kartana - 3
Empoleon - 2
Stunfisk-Galar (YB) - 2
Excadrill - 1
Lucario - 1
Steelix - 1
Stunfisk-Galar (E) - 1

Welcome Tyranitar, Gardevoir, and Escavalier to the metagame!
:tyranitar:
Pokemon: Tyranitar
Category: Dark
New Type: Rock
Stats: 100/134/110/95/61 [500 BST]
New Moves: Rage, Bide and Take Down as universal moves
Removed Moves: none
Competitive Overview: Less physical bulk than Rhydon and lacking Golem's Explosion may put Tyranitar in an interesting spot. However, its lack of a blizzard weakness and its substantially better special gives it a great niche. It can still act as a Zapdos check and its Rock Slide is pretty strong. It also gets access to Thunder Wave to spread paralysis. Earthquake weakness is going to hold it back against the Normals, and Reflect Chansey/Snorlax can actually beat it unless it slots Rest.

Set:
Tyranitar
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Blizzard / Substitute / Rest
Pokémon: Escavalier
Category: Steel
New Type: Bug / Rock
Stats: 70/135/105/60/20 (380 BST)
New Moves: Twineedle, Pin Missile, Rock Slide, Seismic Toss, Body Slam
Removed Moves: Swords Dance
Competitive Overview: normal resist that isnt weak to ice or ground. hits exeggutor and other psychics. less bulk than rhydon though the other rock type.
:rs/gardevoir:
Pokémon: Gardevoir
Category: Fairy
New Type:

Stats: 48/85/65/125/80
New Moves: Submission
Removed Moves: N/A
Competitive Overview: Bootleg Gallade acts as a slower, slightly weaker Alakazam that can take on Chansey more easily with Fire Punch for Exeggutor and access to Hypnosis, but no Recover. Being a Psychic-type that doesn't resist Psychic sucks, but it has most of the great qualities of Psychics + a positive matchup against Chansey, so I could imagine this stacking on teams with Alakazam or Starmie to get rid of the foe's Chansey and annoy Snorlax (Submission does 39-46%) without having to explode like Exeggutor needs to
people play rby lc right
:pupitar:
Pokémon: Pupitar
New Type:

Stats: 70/84/70/65/51
New Moves: Rage, Bide, Take Down

:larvitar:
Pokémon: Pupitar
New Type:

Stats: 50/64/50/45/41
New Moves: Rage, Bide, Take Down
:karrablast:
Pokémon: Karrablast
New Type:

Stats: 50/75/45/40/60
New Moves: Twineedle, Pin Missile, Rock Slide, Seismic Toss, Body Slam
Removed Moves: Swords Dance
i made a fighting-type worse than hitmonchan (i think)

:kirlia:
Pokémon: Kirlia
New Type:

Stats: 28/55/35/65/50 (only lowered HP by 10 because lol 18 HP)

:ralts:
Pokémon: Ralts
New Type:

Stats: 18/45/25/45/40

Now we'll have a 24 hours discussion phase as I'll try to get these coded ASAP so we can playtest them! Then, we'll start the first Moves slate!

See you then!

Last edited:

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
discussion time:

:tyranitar: Very cool mon due to being a massive stat stick: good defenses all around, crazy high attack stat, good special movepool. Not instantly falling to Water/Grass coverage like the other two popular Rocks and lack of an Ice Weakness is quite nice, and in terms of being a Normal resist you still get the job done. Access to Thunder Wave is honestly huge: Rhydon is a good mon but it mostly just Attacks, hopes Body Slam works out, and tries to find opportunities to get a Substitute up. The combination of good bulk and typing/good Attack and coverage/Blizzard/Thunder Wave isn't something you gloss over, if you can successfully pivot this in I imagine it'd be a good progress maker.

:escavalier: Another new Rock, this one trades being weak to Ground, Grass, and Fighting (which i guess might be a real typing sometime soon) for having a pretty sad Special, having the worst general defensive stat ratings of OU Rocks, and successfully being the slowest damn thing ever. A good thing it is nearly impossible to not outspeed a Paralyzed mon if you're healthy, but being naturally outpaced by Snorlax and Slowbro is pretty tough. Still, this typing puts it in a good spot against Tauros and Snorlax, Bug STAB might be helpful one day, Rock Slide is pretty cool, it certainly has tools to make switching in annoying or trying to take it out a risky endeavor. I definitely see this as a overall weak submission and struggle to think of what it can do right now that's really worth the trouble of bringing it versus Rhydon/Tyranitar or even the rare Golem, but honestly that's okay as Bug and Rock feel prime for getting cool new tools with the upcoming move reworks, and its certainly not unusable.

:gardevoir: I am pretty skeptical of adding a Fighting-type because Fighting is really, truly awful, and this being stuck with Submission isn't super conductive to what it wants to do. Like, taking out Chansey/Snorlax is going to chunk your HP stat, you don't OHKO Chansey without a crit and simply don't OHKO Snorlax at all, let alone 2HKO without a crit. Getting damage off against them is still pretty helpful as they're strong Pokemon that practically all teams rely on, but I feel that you pretty much have to throw away Gardevoir to remove one of them, if you even succeed at all given Submission's poor accuracy. Definitely has a lot of flaws, I don't see that as inherently bad since it keeps the metagame more stable, but I really stuggle to see how this is valuable in its current state when there's plenty of ways to break past Gardevoir's targets that have better longevity and utility versus the metagame at large. Like Escavalier, the odds of getting a new Fighting-type move in the future are extremely likely given that Fighting deserves some love, so this will probably get better with time, but for the moment I don't know about justifying a slot to maybe sorta take out a Normal type and then get bullied by faster mons when there's other ways to do that with way more generally strong options.

Alright, Slate 2 starts now!

- Move Slate 1 -

Slate 2 is the first Move Slate of the mod!
To make Move slates more interesting, I decided to change the rules to allow you to submit any Dark, Fairy, and Steel-type moves you want rather than choosing them myself, making them more similar to Pokémon slates and giving you more options. I'll also change the OP to reflect these changes
Rules
- During Move slates, you will sub any future generation Dark, Steel, or Fairy-type move and adapt it into a Gen 1 environment by changing its typing, effect, base power, and distribution (note that the moves' final distribution is ultimately decided by council)
- You will be allowed to sub 1 Dark move, 1 Steel move, and 1 Fairy move during Move slates, which one of each being added to the metagame at the end of the slate. You don't have to specify categories like in Pokémon slates because moves can only have 1 type anyway
- Note that type categories are decided by type in Gen 1. Normal, Fighting, Flying, Ground, Bug, Poison, Ghost, and Rock are Physical, while Grass, Fire, Water, Psychic, Dragon, Electric, and Ice are Special.
- When adapting moves, try to keep the feel of the original but be sure to stay within the limits of Gen 1, so you cannot add any new major mechanics with the moves you're adding (i.e. If you subbed Ceaseless Edge, you couldn't make it set Spikes because Spikes don't exist in Gen 1. Instead, you could give the move a poison chance or make it a partial trapping move). If you add a more minor mechanic (i.e. if you made Ceaseless Edge deal a little damage for a few turns after use but not as a trapping move), it may be allowed, but that is up to the council's discretion
- Moves from Legends: Arceus are allowed to be subbed (this applies to Pokémon as well). This means that you can submit Ceaseless Edge, Springtide Storm, and Shelter during move slates
- Submissions for Move slates last 5 days, with 1 day of voting and 1 day of a discussion phase
- Voting works the same as it does for Pokémon slates
Move: (Name of the slate move you're adapting)
Type: (New type of the move)
Power: (Base Power of the move)
PP: (Power Points of the move. Must be a multiple of 5)
Effect: (Any effects of the move, like secondary effects, or inherent effects like Counter's.)
Distribution: (Possible distribution of the move. Remember that council can add or remove Pokemon from your list if your sub wins)
Justification: (A brief competitive description of the move you're submitting, what it does in the metagame, how it buffs the Pokemon you're giving to, and why you think it should be added.)

Blank Template
Move:
Type:
Power:
PP:
Effect:
Distribution:
Justification:
Move: Knock Off
Type:

Power: 65
PP: 20
Effect: Deals 1.5x damage if the target is statused. Removes their status condition.
Distribution::persian::lickitung::dodrio::clefable::wigglytuff::raticate::beedrill::dewgong::golduck::hitmonlee::kingler::machamp::sandslash:
Justification: Neat option to abuse how common status conditions are in RBY and allow you to remove unwanted status conditions a la Haze, like un-paralyzing a Chansey so you can try to freeze it later. Does have the downside of allowing your opponent to undo your progress if they play around it well, though, and it competes with generally good move Body Slam

Submission will end in 5 days

Last edited:
Move: Darkest Lariat
Type: Fighting
Power: 80
PP: 10
Effect: No secondary effect.
Distribution: Poliwrath, Machamp, Snorlax, Primeape, Hypno
Justification: A much better Fighting move than Submission that's still kept at a reasonable power level. Machamp still might not see use but still appreciates the addition. Primeape, too. Poliwrath would love this to bolster its bulk.

Move: Steel Wing
Type: Flying
Power: 70
PP: 15
Effect: 20% chance to lower the target's Defense by 1 stage.
Distribution: Charizard, Scyther, Dodrio, Fearow, Pidgeot, Farfetch'd, Golbat, Aerodactyl, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Dragonite
Justification: Real, widespread Flying STAB. Finally, Dragonite can run a set other than Wrap, maybe. Charizard might also use the move decently well.

Move: Dazzling Gleam
Type: Normal
Effect: Thaws the user immediately.
Distribution: Clefable, Chansey, Wigglytuff, Gardevoir, Vileplume, Alakazam, Tentacruel, Gengar, Starmie, Mr. Mime, Hypno
Justification: The connection between this and the present move is a stretch, but I think a "freeze absorber" could be a nice niche in this tier. Could Clefable have a chance to shine? Or is it more likely than not gonna be outclassed by Starmie? Who knows!

Last edited:
:machamp: :gardevoir: :hitmonchan:
Move: Assurance
PP: 16
Effect: Power doubles if target was damaged this turn.
Distribution: :aerodactyl: :machamp: :gardevoir: :hitmonchan: :beedrill: :dugtrio: :primeape: :scyther: :weezing: :dodrio: :fearow: :golbat: :mew: :persian: :raticate: :kangaskhan: :rhydon: :poliwrath: :golduck: :raichu: :electabuzz: :magmar: :marowak: :charizard: :sandslash: :golem: :kabutops: :nidoking: :nidoqueen: :escavalier:
Justification: fighting STAB real!?!?!? wide distribution, beeing given to what gets it in modern gens + some submission users because submission is sad & bad. wich is why this was subbed, along with high jump kick and jump kick beeings sigs, and rolling kick beeing meh. it dos a good job at beeing a widespread fighting STAB move. (real)

Last edited:

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Move: Mirror Shot
Type: Ice
Effect: This move can be used successfully even while Frozen. If Frozen, damage dealt is increased by 50%
Distribution: All Ice types, All Water types that get Blizzard/Ice Beam, Magneton line (maybe?)
Justification: Weak Ice move that cannot freeze and is weaker than Ice Beam, but makes Freeze a lot less punishing to be afflicted by as you can still attack and actually deal decent damage while doing so. Ice and Water are both kinda reflective so it checks out. Magneton would be cool with this as there's flavor there, and an Electric with an Ice move sounds pretty sick even if its stats aren't amazing.

Move: Spirit Break
Type: Dragon
Power: 75
Effect: 50% Chance to lower target's Special by 1
Distribution: Dragonite line, Gyarados, Charizard, Seadra, Lapras, Arbok, Onix
Justification: There are so few Fairy moves ffs but here's an interesting one. Damage isn't very impressive initially and you have one typing you hit SE (in a gen with maxed-out Bulk), but reducing Special is a massive plus. It both makes your next Special Attack stronger while making any hits you receive on the Special side a lot weaker, assuming no crits. Dragonite now has a real STAB move and in conjunction with Wrap could be really scary to face off against. Everything else is cool flavor or whatever idk add Mega Gyarados and make it Dragon I don't even know if that's allowed.

Move: Pursuit
Type: Bug
PP: 5
Effect: Hits the target even if they switch out. Damage is not doubled if they switch out.
Distribution: All fully-evolved Bug-types,
Justification: Inspired by how persistent bugs can be in real life, whether that's pissing off a hive of bees, attracting a cloud of gnats after breaking a sweat, or that one asshole fly that outright refuses to leave you alone. I wanted a Bug move that had good power to actually be useful as STAB reliably, but not strong enough to too severely warp the metagame, since Psychics are a big deal. With everything being better suited to live hits, this version of Pursuit is less punishing if you switch but more punishing if you stay in. Basically, you either choose to cut your losses and preserve your health, or stay in and do something to the opponent. Might need more tuning but I think the premise is cool in the context of the metagame. If anyone has ideas on better distribution lmk but I think limiting it to Bug-types is cool since it sorta imposes a teambuilding constraint.

Last edited:
Move: Fake Tears
Power: ---
Acc: 100%
PP: 20 (32)
Effect: Lowers the target's Spc by 2.
Distribution: :clefairy::clefable::eevee::vaporeon::jolteon::flareon::jynx::wigglytuff::gastly::haunter::gengar::mew:
Justification: How well would a reverse Amnesia work? This forces switches on foes or they get hammered with special attacks while nerfing their own special move.

Move: Smart Strike
Type: Rock
PP: 10 (16)
Effect: None
Distribution: :nidoran-m::nidorino::nidoking::cloyster::seel::dewgong::escavalier::lapras::rapidash::rhyhorn::rhydon::goldeen::seaking::tauros::onix::aerodactyl::mew:
Justification: Smart Strike is Rock Slide but more accurate in exchange for less power. Now, you can use your rock moves without fearing that 90 accuracy.

Move: Draining Kiss
Type: Psychic
Effect: Heals the user by 75% of the damage delt.
Distribution: :butterfree::clefairy::clefable::ralts::kirlia::gardevoir::jynx::lapras::raichu::wigglytuff::mew:
Justification: An alternative to Psychic that deals a lot less damage in exchange for lots of recovery.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Effect: No additional effect.
Distribution: :butterfree::beedrill::parasect::pinsir::venomoth::escavalier::poliwrath::golem::kabutops::kingler::machamp:
Justification: strong bug attack for a couple mons that get walled by psychics.

Move: Snarl
Power: 60
PP: 15 (24)
Effect: 100% chance to lower the target's Special by 1.
Distribution: :aerodactyl::golem::kabutops::omastar::arcanine:
Justification: gives a stab to aero cause rock slide doesnt exist for aero fsr

Move: Play Rough
Power: 90
Acc: 90%
Effect: 10% chance to lower the target's Attack by 1.
Distribution: :poliwrath::hitmonchan::hitmonlee::machamp::primeape::arcanine::clefable::raichu::rapidash::wigglytuff:
Justification: slightly stronger submission for the fightings and a couple unmons.

Last edited:
Move: Night Slash
Type:

PP: 8
Effect: High Critical Hit ratio.
Distribution: :Arbok: :Beedrill::Victreebel::golbat::tentacruel: :nidorino::Nidoking: :nidorina::Nidoqueen::venusaur::meowth::Persian: :scyther: :pinsir: :parasect: :escavalier::farfetchd::kabutops:
Justification: Poison types are in such a bad position given how centralizing Psychic types are, they need something to go their way. This is a very strong Poison move that gives its user's some immediate fire power. Gives Victreebel a 10.3% chance to OHKO Exeggutor and Guarantied 2HKO on Chancy, and probably lets other Pokémon accomplish other things.
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Chansey: on a critical hit: 419-493 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Exeggutor: on a critical hit: 338-398 (86 - 101.2%) -- 10.3% chance to OHKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Snorlax: on a critical hit: 199-235 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Tauros: on a critical hit: 158-186 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 22.8% chance to 2HKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Alakazam: on a critical hit: 242-285 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Zapdos: on a critical hit: 169-199 (44.1 - 51.9%) -- 12.7% chance to 2HKO
STAB Night Slash does a lot of damage, and it provides near perfect neutral coverage with Razor Leaf, missing only other Poison types (read: Gengar). Victreebel will have everything it needs to be an effective lead
:Nidoking: Night Slash vs. :Chansey: on a critical hit: 381-448 (54.1 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Nidoking: Night Slash vs. :Exeggutor: on a critical hit: 308-362 (78.3 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Nidoking: Night Slash vs. :Snorlax: on a critical hit: 181-213 (34.6 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
:Nidoking: Night Slash vs. :Tauros: on a critical hit: 143-169 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
:Nidoking: Night Slash vs. :Alakazam: on a critical hit: 219-258 (69.9 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Nidoking: Night Slash vs. :Zapdos: on a critical hit: 154-181 (40.2 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Nidoking can dispatch The Big 4 with one less hit than he otherwise would be able to, and is capable of 2HKOing :Rhydon: and :Tyranitar: with Blizzard and EQ respectively. I doubt that this is enough to completely make up for its middling speed and weaknesses to Ice, Ground, Psychic, and Water, but nothing ever became less viable by gaining a winning matchup against Chancy.

Move: Iron Head
Type:

Accuracy: 100
Effect: Removes Reflect and Light Screen from foe before damage calculation.
Distribution: :Machop::machoke::machamp: :primeape: :poliwrath: :gardevoir::cubone::marowak::Rhyhorn::rhydon: :onix: :golem: :tyranitar: :aerodactyl: :dragonite: :gyarados: :lapras: :blastoise: :mew:
Justification: Sometimes you have to use your head to think thru your strategy, find your win conditions, and form a plan that will maximize your odds of victory. Other times, you just have to repeatedly smash your head into a brick wall until it breaks. This gives a more reliable STAB for the various fighting types, with slightly lower Power but 100 Accuracy and no recoil, and it lets the various rock types have a move that lets them beat down on the normal types they're supposed to wall.
:Machamp: Iron Head vs. :Chansey: 532-626 (75.6 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Machamp: Iron Head vs. :Snorlax: 255-300 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 95.4% chance to 2HKO
:Machamp: Iron Head vs. :Rhydon: 173-204 (41.8 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
:Machamp: Iron Head vs. :Cloyster: 129-152 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.2% chance to 2HKO
:Machamp: Iron Head vs. :Tauros: 200-236 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Poliwrath: Iron Head vs. :Chansey: 403-474 (57.3 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Poliwrath: Iron Head vs. :Snorlax: 194-228 (37 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
:Gardevoir: Iron Head vs. :Rhydon: 132-156 (31.9 - 37.7%) -- 94.2% chance to 3HKO
:Poliwrath: Iron Head vs. :Cloyster: 98-116 (32.3 - 38.2%) -- 98.1% chance to 3HKO
:Poliwrath: Iron Head vs. :Tauros: 153-180 (43.3 - 50.9%) -- 3.5% chance to 2HKO
:Tyranitar: Iron Head vs. :Chansey: 364-428 (51.7 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Tyranitar: Iron Head vs. :Snorlax: 173-204 (33 - 39%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
:Tyranitar: Iron Head vs. :Rhydon: 119-140 (28.8 - 33.8%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO (never enough damage to put Rhydon in Blizzard KO range from full)
:Tyranitar: Iron Head vs. :Tauros: 137-162 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
So everything I tested can 2HKO Chancy, but only Machamp can 2HKO Tauros and Snorlax without lucky high rolls/crits, altho even he cannot say the same about Cloyster and Rhydon. Poliwrath improves its matchup vs Cloyster, as it wont be chipping itself into Explosion range with Submission recoil, and is nearly never going to miss Iron Head.

Last edited:

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello I have finished my other moves subs. Will now review other moves so that this isn't a one-liner.

Move: Darkest Lariat
Effect: No secondary effect.
Distribution: Poliwrath, Machamp, Snorlax, Primeape, Hypno
Justification: A much better Fighting move than Submission that's still kept at a reasonable power level. Machamp still might not see use but still appreciates the addition. Primeape, too. Poliwrath would love this to bolster its bulk.

Move: Steel Wing
Type: Flying
Effect: 20% chance to lower the target's Defense by 1 stage.
Distribution: Charizard, Scyther, Dodrio, Fearow, Pidgeot, Farfetch'd, Golbat, Aerodactyl, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Dragonite
Justification: Real, widespread Flying STAB. Finally, Dragonite can run a set other than Wrap, maybe. Charizard might also use the move decently well.

Move: Dazzling Gleam
Effect: Thaws the user immediately.
Distribution: Clefable, Chansey, Wigglytuff, Gardevoir, Vileplume, Alakazam, Tentacruel, Gengar, Starmie, Mr. Mime, Hypno
Justification: The connection between this and the present move is a stretch, but I think a "freeze absorber" could be a nice niche in this tier. Could Clefable have a chance to shine? Or is it more likely than not gonna be outclassed by Starmie? Who knows!
Lariat is a very simple inclusion that doesn't try to be more than it needs to be, I like it.
Steel Wing feels like a frontrunner this cycle, a Flying move that has good power, good distribution, and a potentially nasty secondary effect. This is a big step forward in breathing new life into a lot of Pokemon.
Dazzling Gleam is a overall more reliable version of my sub and thus I must oppose it vehemently to preserve my fragile ego.

:machamp: :gardevoir: :hitmonchan:
Move: Assurance
Effect: Power doubles if target was damaged this turn.
Distribution: :aerodactyl: :machamp: :gardevoir: :hitmonchan: :beedrill: :dugtrio: :primeape: :scyther: :weezing: :dodrio: :fearow: :golbat: :mew: :persian: :raticate: :kangaskhan: :rhydon: :poliwrath: :golduck: :raichu: :electabuzz: :magmar: :marowak: :charizard: :sandslash: :golem: :kabutops: :nidoking: :nidoqueen: :escavalier:
Justification: fighting STAB real!?!?!? wide distribution, beeing given to what gets it in modern gens + some submission users because submission is sad & bad. wich is why this was subbed, along with high jump kick and jump kick beeings sigs, and rolling kick beeing meh. it dos a good job at beeing a widespread fighting STAB move. (real)
I like the idea of this, but the Secondary effect is in many ways a completely pointless stat since there's so few ways of a Pokemon being damaged during their turn outside of attack damage. I would consider changing the effect to something more common and reduce base power, or just axe the secondary effect entirely.

Move: Mirror Shot
Type: Ice
Effect: This move can be used successfully even while Frozen. If Frozen, damage dealt is increased by 50%
Distribution: All Ice types, All Water types that get Blizzard/Ice Beam, Magneton line (maybe?)
Justification: Weak Ice move that cannot freeze and is weaker than Ice Beam, but makes Freeze a lot less punishing to be afflicted by as you can still attack and actually deal decent damage while doing so. Ice and Water are both kinda reflective so it checks out. Magneton would be cool with this as there's flavor there, and an Electric with an Ice move sounds pretty sick even if its stats aren't amazing.

Move: Spirit Break
Type: Dragon
Effect: 50% Chance to lower target's Special by 1
Distribution: Dragonite line, Gyarados, Charizard, Seadra, Lapras, Arbok, Onix
Justification: There are so few Fairy moves ffs but here's an interesting one. Damage isn't very impressive initially and you have one typing you hit SE (in a gen with maxed-out Bulk), but reducing Special is a massive plus. It both makes your next Special Attack stronger while making any hits you receive on the Special side a lot weaker, assuming no crits. Dragonite now has a real STAB move and in conjunction with Wrap could be really scary to face off against. Everything else is cool flavor or whatever idk add Mega Gyarados and make it Dragon I don't even know if that's allowed.

Move: Pursuit
PP: 5
Effect: Hits the target even if they switch out. Damage is not doubled if they switch out.
Distribution: All fully-evolved Bug-types,
Justification: Inspired by how persistent bugs can be in real life, whether that's pissing off a hive of bees, attracting a cloud of gnats after breaking a sweat, or that one asshole fly that outright refuses to leave you alone. I wanted a Bug move that had good power to actually be useful as STAB reliably, but not strong enough to too severely warp the metagame, since Psychics are a big deal. With everything being better suited to live hits, this version of Pursuit is less punishing if you switch but more punishing if you stay in. Basically, you either choose to cut your losses and preserve your health, or stay in and do something to the opponent. Might need more tuning but I think the premise is cool in the context of the metagame. If anyone has ideas on better distribution lmk but I think limiting it to Bug-types is cool since it sorta imposes a teambuilding constraint.
I like all of these.

Move: Fake Tears
Power: ---
PP: 20 (32)
Effect: Lowers the target's Spc by 2.
Distribution: :clefairy::clefable::eevee::vaporeon::jolteon::flareon::jynx::wigglytuff::gastly::haunter::gengar::mew:
Justification: How well would a reverse Amnesia work? This forces switches on foes or they get hammered with special attacks while nerfing their own special move.

Effect: None
Distribution: :nidoran-m::nidorino::nidoking::cloyster::seel::dewgong::escavalier::lapras::rapidash::rhyhorn::rhydon::goldeen::seaking::tauros::onix::mew:
Justification: Smart Strike is Rock Slide but more accurate in exchange for less power. Now, you can use your rock moves without fearing that 90 accuracy.

Move: Draining Kiss
Power: 50
Effect: Heals the user by 75% of the damage delt.
Distribution: :butterfree::clefairy::clefable::ralts::kirlia::gardevoir::jynx::lapras::raichu::wigglytuff::mew:
Justification: An alternative to Psychic that deals a lot less damage in exchange for lots of recovery.
Fake Tears on the likes of Gengar/Jolteon/Jynx sounds really scary given their good Special and good Speed. I'm wondering if it would be better to drop by one stage only, or maybe if it was forced to go last?
Smart strike is a nice edition if you also give it to poor Aero (it has horns trust me)
Draining Kiss feels rather weak compared to the raw power that is Psychic, especially since most users get Psychic anyway

Move: False Surrender
Distribution: :butterfree::beedrill::parasect::pinsir::venomoth::escavalier::poliwrath::golem::kabutops::kingler::machamp:

Move: Play Rough
Power: 90
Acc: 90%
Effect: 10% chance to lower the target's Attack by 1.
Distribution: :poliwrath::hitmonchan::hitmonlee::machamp::primeape::arcanine::clefable::raichu::rapidash::wigglytuff:
Justification: slightly stronger submission for the fightings and a couple unmons.
false surrender is nice like the distribution
snarl makes no sense as rock but the effect is cool
play rough is a good quality of life for fighting

Move: Night Slash
Type:

Effect: High Critical Hit ratio.
Distribution: :Haunter: :Gengar::Victreebel::golbat::tentacruel: :Nidoking: :Nidoqueen::venusaur::meowth::Persian: :scyther: :pinsir: :parasect: :escavalier::farfetchd::dugtrio::kabutops:
Justification: Poison types are in such a bad position given how centralizing Psychic types are, they need something to go their way. This is a very strong Poison move that gives its user's some immediate fire power. Gives Victreebel a 10.3% chance to OHKO Exeggutor and Guarantied 2HKO on Chancy, and Gengar can use it to get a guarantied 2HKO against Eggy and physically frail mons like Jynx and Zam, and even a 14.3% Chance to 2HKO Chancy.
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Chansey: on a critical hit: 419-493 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Exeggutor: on a critical hit: 338-398 (86 - 101.2%) -- 10.3% chance to OHKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Snorlax: on a critical hit: 199-235 (38 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Tauros: on a critical hit: 158-186 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 22.8% chance to 2HKO
:Victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Alakazam: on a critical hit: 242-285 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:victreebel: Night Slash vs. :Zapdos: on a critical hit: 169-199 (44.1 - 51.9%) -- 12.7% chance to 2HKO
:Gengar: Night Slash vs. :Chansey: on a critical hit: 311-366 (44.2 - 52%) -- 14.3% chance to 2HKO
:Gengar:
Night Slash vs.
:Exeggutor:
on a critical hit: 251-296 (63.8 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Gengar: Night Slash vs. :Snorlax: on a critical hit: 148-174 (28.2 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
:Gengar: Night Slash vs. :Tauros: on a critical hit: 117-138 (33.1 - 39%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
:Gengar: Night Slash vs. :Alakazam: on a critical hit: 179-211 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:Gengar: Night Slash vs. :Zapdos: on a critical hit: 125-148 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO

Move: Iron Head
Type:

Effect: Removes Reflect and Light Screen from foe before damage calculation.
Distribution: :machamp: :primeape: :poliwrath: :gardevoir::rhydon: :onix: :golem: :tyranitar: :aerodactyl: :dragonite: :gyarados: :marowak: :lapras: :blastoise: :mew: (Maybe :tauros: and :snorlax: because they do learn it, but idk)
Justification: (WiP) It's time for these Pokémon to start using their head!
Calcs will come later.
Night Slash feels really strong honestly, I think part of the reason for Slash being somewhat reasonable is low distribution but also not hitting anything SE. Poison may only hit Grass but letting Gengar rip through Eggy and Special Walls so easily feels like a bit much. Honestly the move might be okay if Gengar doesn't get it considering Poison is a poor type in RBY, both in terms of defenses and as coverage.
I like Iron Head as a proto-Brick Break, I am wondering if its BP is a tad too high but the general idea of the move is solid.

Ema Skye

Work!
Effect: Doubles in power if the user is statused.
Distribution: :clefairy: :doduo: :meowth: :eevee: :kangaskhan: :rattata: :electabuzz: :tentacruel: :larvitar:
Justification: This gen is defined by status, especially paralysis, and so having counterplay to it could be cool. Yes, this is just weaker Facade but the name fits perfectly for the idea here.

Move: Gyro Ball
Type: Electric
Power: --
Effect: Increases in power the slower the user is than the opponent.
Distribution: :sandshrew: :squirtle: :jigglypuff: :geodude: :magnemite: :onix: :voltorb: :koffing: :staryu: :omanyte: :paras: :escavalier:
Justification: This is another attempt at punishing paralysis, as with paralysis quartering speed this gen, it is fairly easy to get a strong BP from the move. Plus I think it's interesting having a move that rewards being slower in a meta that wants to be fast (wrap, crits, etc.)

Move: Crafty Shield
Power: -
Effect: While the user is active, all active Pokemon are protected from the added effects from moves. Haze can remove this.
Distribution: :gastly: :ralts: :cubone: :porygon: :mr.-mime:
Justification: Protection from freeze and Body Slam para, but forces you to also go without. Notably doesn't block Thunder Wave.

Move: Embargo
Type:

Accuracy: --
Effect: For 5 turns, the target can't boost its stats
Distribution::persian::gengar::clefable::golduck::primeape::mr. mime::porygon: (:alakazam:?)
Justification: Weird move that allows fast Pokemon like Zam (maybe), Persian, and Gengar to stop Lax and Slowbro from Amnesia-ing up in front of them. Zam is only a maybe for this, since it does drastically improve its matchup against both Amnesia Lax and Bro in combination with Recover, though losing TWave or Seismic Toss to body those 2 matchups might be undesirable. Porygon is the only other thing here with recovery, allowing it to do this multiple times and giving it a better matchup against the one Lax set that it doesn't reliably beat

Move: Gear Up
Type:

Accuracy: --
Effect: Boots the user's Attack and Special by 1 stage
Distribution::magneton::electabuzz::raichu:
Justification: Great set up move that essentially gives it +1 Attack, +1 SpA, and +1 SpD, making the user stronger on both sides while getting fatter, though more slowly than SD or Amnesia. Allows Raichu and Electabuzz to more easily get past Chansey after a Gear Up or two and hopefully not getting paralyzed, while Magneton is still a poor man's Electric but having a move like this is a huge boost to its playstyle. All 3 of these mon are still easily checked by Eggy, don't like Snorlax, and Raichu and Buzz get easily revenged by Tauros if they get chipped at all

Move: Strange Steam
Type:

Power: 50
Effect: Clears the target's stat changes after dealing damage
Distribution::weezing::vileplume::venusaur::tentacruel::golbat::muk::nidoking::nidoqueen::golduck::magmar::seadra::victreebel:
Justification: I was initially gonna do status moves for all 3, but Moonlight is boring, a good Crafty Shield was already subbed, and Aromatic Mist is just mini-Amnesia, so instead here's Clear Smog. Like Embargo, it's another tool against stuff like Amnesia Lax and Slowbro and the likely inevitable future viable Swords Dancers we'll get

Here with a 24 hour warning!

This is also when I'd give warnings to any subs that could potentially get vetoed, but with moves it's a little harder to make unsalvageabley broken subs since council (me) and I can control it's distribution to the point where the move could no longer be broken. However, it's worth noting that it's very undesirable to add a move that has to be given to only Pokemon that'll never see even niche OU usage even with it, so subs could be vetoed on those grounds. With this, there's only one warning to give and it isn't for balance concerns

Both of these moves are perfectly fine, but you're only allowed to sub 1 move of each future gen type, so one of these will have to be changed. The easiest way is to just rename False Surrender to Smart Strike, since I can still see that fitting Bug flavor with Megahorn existing, or Steel Roller, since Steamroller is a Bug move

Voting starts now!

Just like Pokemon slates, we will have a non-ranked vote for each typing, meaning that each submission you vote for receives 1 point. The submission with the most votes in each typing will be added to the metagame.

You may vote for up to 3 subs in each category. You may vote for your own sub in each category, but only if you vote for 2 other subs with it. If multiple people submitted a move with the same name as another sub, please specify the submission you're voting for by putting the submitter's username next to it

Voting Example
Dark

Move A
Move B
Move C
Dark
Dark Move A
Dark Move B
Dark Move C

Steel
Steel Move A
Steel Move B
Steel Move C

Fairy
Fairy Move A
Fairy Move B
Fairy Move C

Dark
Move A (SV)

Dark
Move A (SV)
Move B
Move C

Would be legal

Each Move you vote for in each category also has to be in the same category, so the following would be illegal
Dark
Dark Move A (SV)
Fairy Move B
Steel Move C

But this would be legal
Dark
Dark Move A (SV)
Dark Move B
Dark Move C

Each sub gets 1 vote

No submissions are vetoed this slate, so any sub can be voted for

Voting will end in 24 hours

Ema Skye

Work!
Confirmed with Yoshi that final learnsets are still TBD because I have concerns about the size of a few of these.

Dark: Fake Tears, False Surrender (Ema), Snarl
Steel: Iron Head, Gear Up, Steel Wing
Fairy: Crafty Shield, Play Rough, Strange Steam

Last edited:
Dark: Snarl, Fake Tears, Assurance (SV)
Steel: Gear Up, Iron Head, Steel Wing
Fairy: Spirit Break, Strange Steam, Dazzling Gleam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)