Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
First up is the stealth rocker, mamoswine. The reason I'm using swine is because I've heard he's a good stealth rocker for dragmag teams, but I may change him out later. He has a pretty standard moves, shard for priority, eq for stab, knock off for utility, and stealth rocks for obvious reasons.

Magnezone @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Def / 196 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Body Press
Magnezone, the "mag" in dragmag. I remember seeing this set somewhere and really liking it. Expert belt for extra damage, tbolt and flash cannon for stabs and body press for ferrothorn.

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
- Earthquake
I went with melmetal for my second steel as he hits really hard and is decently quite bulky. Standard moveset amd spread, av helps in tanking special hits such as dragapult shadow ball.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
The special wall breaker of the team, specs dragapult. This is honestly the first time I've used specs put, and tbh I don't see the why he's so good. He feels a bit seeker than other special wallbreakers. Anyways hydro pump is kinda just filling a moveslot while figure out what to put there actually. Draco and shadow ball for stabs, and u-turn to pivot.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
Salamence is here as the setup sweeper for the team for two reasons: first, the team need a ground immunity, and I prefer dragon dance sets to sd scale shot sets personally. Salamence has the ability to snowball with moxie granting an attack boost after every KO. Dragon claw and dual wing beat are for spammable stab, and eq is kinda iffy and will probably be replaced with roost.

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- First Impression
- Poison Jab
- Close Combat
Finally we got choice band haxorus. The moves is outrage for raw power, first impression for priority, but is kinda iffy and may be replaced, poison jab for fairies, and cc is to qt least hit corviknight. I might switch around haxorus and salamence's roles or something like that in the future.

Anyways, here's the pokepaste

https://pokepast.es/f815f6cc40137333

After some more testing, I've decided to change out the dragons for on the team for a few different ones.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Aura Sphere
- Psychic
- Trick
I changed pult to latios for its stronger power and access to trick to cripple walls such as blissey. Psychic and draco are the stab moves of choice. Aura sphere is used to chunk the likes of heatran and other steels.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
Sd scale shot garchomp, the standard ou set. Eq for stab, sd and scale shot to set up. The main difference here is poison jab over fire fang. I'm doing this because we already have zone to deal with skarm, for, and ferrothorn, so I figured having jab to hit fairies would be a good choice.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
Scarf hydreigon is the speed control of the team. U-turn lets it act as a pivot, draco and dark pulse act as powerful stab options, and flamethrower is for the steels of the tier that aren't heatran.

Here's the new pokepaste
https://pokepast.es/90f216468d5fcd6f

Cool team concept. I would love to see Dragmag right now. This current team needs some work.

Biggest issues for Dragmag offensively are getting past fairies and Ferrothorn. Magnezone covers Ferro so he’s obvious. Fairies you’ll have to get creative and overload them. Clefable and Tapu Fini are the tough ones to crack so keep that in mind. Clefable will usually run from Melmetal so try to lure it somehow.

As interesting and nuanced as DragMag was for the one Generation it was viable in (and even then DragMag is shifting to use more than just Dragons in BW.) The idea of DragMag is just flawed on a fundamental level with the existance of Fairies, and if that wasn't enough Magnezone also ends up struggling to trap most of the Steels it's supposed to.
If you really wanna stick to the idea of a Dragon and Magnezone, that's likely doable, but Hard DragMag like this just doesn't work in modern Generations against compotent players.
Again, I do think Mag + Some kind of Dragon may be Salvageable, one I think you could give a whirl is the tried and true Dnite + Mag Combo that dates back to DragMag's beginnings, as Dragonite can manage to break most Steels by itself Bar Corviknight, and Skarmory, both of which Magnezone is conveniently still excellent at trapping.
Do note the team will be incredibly slow though, but Scarf Lele is both a beneficiary of Magnezone, and provides the proper RKing capabilities needed to not get run over by the more common faster threats in the meta.

The Team is only remotely salvageable but it is salvageable nonetheless if you wish to rebuild.

Last edited:
Yo it's pretty cool that you are trying an old idea of the past and trying to incorporate into a new gen. however I think this style isnt as simple to build around as it used to be.
First off I think dragmag falls face flat vs stall(I know haxorus exists but thats not really amazing)
I'll not necessarily suggest changes but just help you through building dragmag here:
STEP 1: noting the viable dragons
:dragapult: - the big scary pult is threatening to most balance teams by spamming specs shadow balls.
:garchomp: - It's a threatening sweeper when the conditions are set and access to stealth rocks is also massive.
:dragonite: - This has impressive defensive utility and sweeps very cleanly.
While this is not in true spirit, I think putting only 2 of these saves you out of having terrible defensive syndergy while also keeping the dragon assault alive

STEP 2: The zone
:magnezone: prefers the set that snipes ferrothorn being the body press set which is incredibly obnoxious vs melmetal/corviknight as well. It can use tools such as magnet rise and toxic to be a further menace.

STEP 3: addressing weaknesses
:weavile:, :tapu-fini:, :tapu-koko:, :tapu-lele:, :dragapult: and :clefable: are very annoying so these need checks of their own-
1) Either of :heatran:/:melmetal:/:ferrothorn:/:corviknight: are very good at stopping some of these from causing havoc and heatran/corvi/ferro provide good defensive utility in hazards/removal whilst melm provides great offensive pressure and adds synergy
2) :slowking-galar: this mon is a true menace vs fairies and balance teams alike and just has great offensive pressure with both assult vest and nasty plot
There's a lot more mons that help the style but these are some prominent ones I listed.

STEP 4: Utility
The utility(hazards,status,pivoting,etc.) is needed on this archetype and can be fulfilled by a couple mons below
1):landorus-therian: wonderful defogger/pivot and a decent option for rocks with access to knock.
2):tornadus-therian: the best defogger in the metagame right now and has access to knock and u-turn.
3):clefable: amazing weavile check with physdef helmet and also can setup rocks, use knock and cripple opponents by status or tricking them a sticky barb.
4)The aforementioned steels in step 3
5)colbur berry :slowbro: is one of the best checks for weavile and provides momentum and future sight pressure meanwhile :slowking: is the best check to lele and a good pivot vs fini.

STEP 5: Finishing by adding more offense
1) choice banded :weavile:/:bisharp: benefit from the high attacks possessed by the dragons and also like the removal of corviknight
2) :melmetal:/:heatran: give heavy offensive pressure vs fairies and can lure heatran. melmetal with lefites especially loves corvi and ferro gone
3) :slowking-galar: does it's thing by pressuring bulky offense teams by future sight and destoys fat with nasty plot variant.

I hope these helped. I wasn't able to give a proper rate because the team doesn't quite understand its own idea. hope to see a rebuild. Have a good one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)