Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Hello everyone, I completed a 105 streak on the Battle Tower and got the Gold Shield. It looks like I'm done with Pokemon Emerald, for the most part.

I restared Colo and caught another Suicune, with better IVs and used Jumpman16's team. It got a little dicey with the rematch against Anabel because my second Shadow Ball missed and Latios's Psychic got a SpDef drop on Snorlax.... had to resort to PP stalling Latios with Suicune's Rest.

Salamence @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 60
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 22 HP / 28 Spe
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 244 HP / 128 Def / 136 Spe
Quirky Nature
IVs: 24 HP / 22 Atk / 16 Def / 30 SpA / 13 SpD / 28 Spe
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Rest

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 200 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 20 HP / 23 Atk / 26 SpA / 30 SpD / 29 Spe
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Shadow Ball

Time to decorate my hideout! :)

View attachment 261179
Jumpman16's team is so ace for battle tower. If nothing else, it's so straightforward and intuitive to pilot. I do think that Body Slam STAB on Snorlax should be replaced (probably for Return). There's no way that loss in power isn't going to be relevant. Heck, it definitely gave me concerns, to put it mildy, about the Anabel rematch.

I missed the stream :( Is there a possibility to watch a replay somewhere, I'm really curious how it went.
I failed very soon; the real challenge is to get past round 1 and round 2 with mono Bug and mono Flying. Will start another stream in 15 minutes, and save the footage on YT.

In general, I will attempt it from time to time, but changed username again because of some difficulties. The definite account is ActaeonBattleTower now. Tune in from time to time!

EDIT: this first serious attempt ended at the 48th battle - a replay can be watched at YouTube.

Last edited:
Late reply as I haven't checked this thread in a while, but nice job clearing all 20 rounds! My goal with this place was also just to clear 20 rounds; the only things that could really threaten a streak here would be something like a lucky Curselax.

Very interesting that you opted for Double-Edge over Return on a Slaking; I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning behind that. I could see why the extra power is better for other facilities like the Tower and Dome, but wouldn't the recoil be troublesome to deal with given that there is no healing in the Pyramid? Unless maybe you are not using Slaking much for wild Pokemon at all and only occasionally for Trainer battles.
Thanks, and I agree that there aren't many ways to lose in the Pyramid - as long as you have a way to deal with stat boosters, e.g. Aerial Ace for Double Team spammers.

With Slaking, I hardly ever used Double-Edge against wild Pokemon - when I had Slaking as a lead, it was on floors where I was frequently using Earthquake or Shadow Ball for OHKOs (or even Hyper Beam in some rare cases). I had an abundant supply of Hyper Potions, so I always had enough to heal off the few times I used Double-Edge.

(also, sorry I haven't checked the thread in a while - I basically moved on to my next ambitious project of the 4th gen Factory, but it's just as unfair as I remember)

Well, I am back here. I apologize for my long absence due to the fact that I got somewhat burned out from playing Pokemon as a whole. In regards to my Dome streak, I ended up losing my streak at 59 Tournament wins due to the fact that while I was resuming my challenge, I played on the Game Boy Player and just right at the moment that the attendant was saving the game after clearing the 60th tournament, the game crashed and I ended up losing my whole streak. I was not only pissed off since I spent a good amount of time repairing the disc using some solutions I've found on the internet such as using fluoride toothpaste + isopropyl alcohol and a disc cleaner. I also have to add that the attempts after losing the streak were extremely unlucky and had several critical hits shitting on me. With all these issues altogether it burned out my spark for a good while.

1594665290475.png

Streets of Rage 4 took most of my free time, but decided that after a while, that I can finally go back on the streak. Right now I am sitting on 4 tournament wins and will have another go at it. My target is 100 tournament wins so I won't update any further on my streak at least until I surpass my previous record and hit the benchmark. I'm obviously ditching any chance on playing on the Gamecube again since I don't have any idea left on how to "repair" the disc anymore and will just use my GBA as I should've. No back-light is a big issue though since my chances of playing are at night. I also attached some pictures of the original Game Boy Player disc I have. If someone has any other suggestions I would definitely appreciate it although if I find myself on a high streak, I'd doubt I will risk my streak playing again on the Gamecube.

1594665353374.png

1594665382178.png

Last edited:
Update: Reached 182 wins. I actually lost my streak 4x (Thunder punch Metagross , Whiscash 4, Focus punch Electabuzz, Breloom( effect spores me) in the 100s, so it's taken a week to build it back up. Since then I have made some adjustments. First, I am running more special defense on Skarm to avoid the 2ko from Metagross 6&7. Obviously the trade off is that Skarm is frailer on the physical side which can be a problem when having to eat boosted rock slides. In fact, the lack of a rock resistance makes crits particularly nasty versus Armaldo/Marowak( who are turn 1 whirlwind targets) and makes matchups versus Ruin Maniacs very difficult (hard to find a set up target).

252 SpA Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Skarmory: 140-166 (41.9 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Umbreon has been swapped out for Blissey, who is superior in every way. Blissey hard counters special attackers, provides growl support which helps pp stall, checks mixed attackers and decreases struggle damage for Mence to set up.

Regarding Mence, I have made huge adjustments. I am still running 196 attack evs with the Adamant Nature, as Jolly is too weak to be viable. I have changed the spread to 220 speed evs, which out speeds Electabuzz 2, up to Houndoom. I definitely knew that I wanted to outspeed Electabuzz 2 at minimum, with everything faster than Mence not being ohkoed by an unboosted hit anyway and being checked by Skarm/Bliss.
The remainder went into 56 hp and 36 special defense, which ironically isn't much frailer on the special side than 172 hp. Obviously, the lack of hp investment makes it less practical to run leftovers (although this one still has the 16+1 leftovers number), so I am changing the item to lum berry, which helps for accidental status. The trade off is that you completely lack recovery, so you only really get one shot to sweep, which is a huge problem against roar users. I still plan to finish this run until I lose, but I wouldn't recommend running only Mence as your source of offence. Takes far too much support to set up and everyone and their mother has ice coverage. Even with torment, growl and t-wave support, Mence can still find it difficult to make it onto the field safely, which is a problem in itself. It's only 100% safe to set up on special attackers, who are at -6 attack while being paralyzed or against targets without any moves to hit you (double team spammers, mono grass mons(not that hard to stall out sludge bombs).

Also Electabuzz 3 completely takes a dump over this team. It's faster than Mence and threatens the 2ko on Blissey and ohko's Skarm. I narrowly avoided a loss to it with Blissey dodging cross chops+ growling it to stall out it's moves.
252 SpA Electabuzz Ice Punch vs. 56 HP / 36 SpD Salamence: 160-192 (90.3 - 108.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
https://pokepast.es/4ceba8179b932fdc

Edit: Got to 210. I was considering a Latios, Suicune, Snorlax team too, but I'm done. Don't really feel like playing.
Hey peeps! I'm more busier these days being back to work and was burnt out playing so much, but I'm going to finish off my battle tower streak before really calling it quits. I continued my current streak with Latios, Suicune, Snorlax, which has reached 301 wins. This team is a variation of Jumpman's team, with Latios instead of Band Salamence. I like this better because of Latios's better speed tier, reliable coverage which threatens a wide variety of pokemon and provides an additional electric and psychic resistance. Coverage is relatively explanatory, but I have ice beam here instead of dragon claw. The trade off is that you lose a stronger hit on psychic types, but the SE coverage allows you to ohko DD mence( which lives D-claw) and gets SE coverage on ground and grass types like Marowak and Sceptile. Basically, I click buttons with Latios to knock things and out and pivot in Suicune for steels and physically oriented threats and Snorlax for specially oriented threats like Regice. I made a couple changes with Snorlax with Return instead of Body Slam (you aren't outspeeding anything after a curse regardless) and I moved 8 evs from defense to speed. This allows Snorlax to outspeed Steelix, Slowking & Slowbro and OPPOSING SNORLAX, which is a huge threat to my team.

Threatlist
Snorlax, other normals like Ursaring and Granbull
Opposing CM psychic types (Gardevoir, Espeon)
Haxdon, Haxrein, Lapras
Heracross( focus band/bright powder)

https://pokepast.es/9691e86fff3800b1

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks, and I agree that there aren't many ways to lose in the Pyramid - as long as you have a way to deal with stat boosters, e.g. Aerial Ace for Double Team spammers.

With Slaking, I hardly ever used Double-Edge against wild Pokemon - when I had Slaking as a lead, it was on floors where I was frequently using Earthquake or Shadow Ball for OHKOs (or even Hyper Beam in some rare cases). I had an abundant supply of Hyper Potions, so I always had enough to heal off the few times I used Double-Edge.

(also, sorry I haven't checked the thread in a while - I basically moved on to my next ambitious project of the 4th gen Factory, but it's just as unfair as I remember)
Ah yes, the 4th gen factory is the only facility I have not gotten a gold symbol in yet, but I'll get to it someday. I know someone who has over 4000 BP just from playing the factory and still has not gotten gold. Getting gold without RNG manipulation is quite the challenge, so best of luck and I hope to see a video if you are successful!

Hey peeps! I'm more busier these days being back to work and was burnt out playing so much, but I'm going to finish off my battle tower streak before really calling it quits. I continued my current streak with Latios, Suicune, Snorlax, which has reached 301 wins. This team is a variation of Jumpman's team, with Latios instead of Band Salamence. I like this better because of Latios's better speed tier, reliable coverage which threatens a wide variety of pokemon and provides an additional electric and psychic resistance. Coverage is relatively explanatory, but I have ice beam here instead of dragon claw. The trade off is that you lose a stronger hit on psychic types, but the SE coverage allows you to ohko DD mence( which lives D-claw) and gets SE coverage on ground and grass types like Marowak and Sceptile. Basically, I click buttons with Latios to knock things and out and pivot in Suicune for steels and physically oriented threats and Snorlax for specially oriented threats like Regice. I made a couple changes with Snorlax with Return instead of Body Slam (you aren't outspeeding anything after a curse regardless) and I moved 8 evs from defense to speed. This allows Snorlax to outspeed Steelix, Slowking & Slowbro and OPPOSING SNORLAX, which is a huge threat to my team.

Threatlist
Snorlax, other normals like Ursaring and Granbull
Opposing CM psychic types (Gardevoir, Espeon)
Haxdon, Haxrein, Lapras
Heracross( focus band/bright powder)

https://pokepast.es/9691e86fff3800b1
I'm going to upload a replay of the Anabel match. It's basically an auto win most times. Force the rest on Raikou and then boost up to +6 to ko Latios and Snorlax.
https://kapwi.ng/c/kkh57egn

Streak ended at 322. Lost on my 323rd match to Scizor with SD, Silver-wind, Steel-wing and light screen. I probably should have attacked with Suicune earlier, but clearly I overlooked Scizor as a threat. If that omniboost didn't kick in, I would have been fine. Suicune at +2 without the light screen would have 2koed the Scizor and I should have clicked surf instead of sub after the omniboost. Kinda brain farted there, but I was hoping that it was a baton pass set or that it would use a non attacking move. Anyways, my team struggles with boosters that I can't ko in 2 hits. Anyways, proud of this team. Lacking a phazer has lead to both of my streaks in the Battle Tower in the 300s ending.
https://kapwi.ng/c/hUPRm3QY

Side note: I've earned 14,000 Battle points total. Haha. Such a crazy amount, but you can only have 9999 at a time. Thought it would be cool to note.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice to see this here finally. I just gonna post some random bits of info here and then I'll start contributing streaks of my own.

Frontier Pokemon tiers

The following is mostly trivia, but it also includes some info that players should be mindful of when preparing for and playing streaks.

In the frontier, the Pokemon you see as opponents are roughly separated into "tiers" based on which trainers use them, when they appear, and how many sets they have. I like to separate them into Low, Mid, High and Legend tiers.

Low tier basically contains unevolved and weaker fully evolved Pokemon, covering the range of entries from 1-162 in Hozu's spreadsheets. These Pokemon only have 1 set and generally only appear very early during a streak before vanishing. Of these, only Shedinja can be encountered after 49 wins.

Abra, Aipom, Anorith, Ariados, Aron, Azurill, Bagon, Baltoy, Barboach, Beautifly, Beedrill, Beldum, Bellsprout, Bulbasaur, Butterfree, Cacnea, Carvanha, Cascoon, Caterpie, Charmander, Chikorita, Chinchou, Clamperl, Clefairy, Cleffa, Corphish, Corsola, Cubone, Cyndaquil, Delibird, Diglett, Ditto, Doduo, Dratini, Drowzee, Duskull, Dustox, Eevee, Ekans, Electrike, Elekid, Exeggcute, Farfetch'd, Feebas, Flaaffy, Gastly, Geodude, Goldeen, Grimer, Growlithe, Gulpin, Hoothoot, Hoppip, Horsea, Houndour, Igglybuff, Jigglypuff, Kabuto, Kakuna, Krabby, Kirlia, Koffing, Larvitar, Ledian, Ledyba, Lileep, Lombre, Lotad, Loudred, Luvdisc, Machop, Magby, Magikarp, Magnemite, Makuhita, Mankey, Mareep, Marill, Mawile, Meditite, Meowth, Metapod, Mudkip, Natu, Nidoran-F, Nidoran-M, Nidorina, Nidorino, Nincada, Nosepass, Numel, Nuzleaf, Oddish, Omanyte, Onix, Paras, Phanpy, Pichu, Pidgeotto, Pidgey, Pikachu, Pineco, Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poochyena, Psyduck, Ralts, Rattata, Remoraid, Rhyhorn, Sandshrew, Seedot, Seel, Sentret, Shedinja, Shellder, Shroomish, Shuppet, Silcoon, Skiploom, Skitty, Slakoth, Slowpoke, Slugma, Smeargle, Smoochum, Snorunt, Snubbull, Spearow, Spheal, Spinarak, Spinda, Spoink, Squirtle, Staryu, Sunkern, Surskit, Swablu, Swinub, Taillow, Teddiursa, Tentacool, Togepi, Torchic, Totodile, Trapinch, Treecko, Tyrogue, Unown, Venonat, Vibrava, Voltorb, Vulpix, Weedle, Whismur, Wingull, Wooper, Wurmple, Wynaut, Yanma, Zigzagoon, Zubat

Mid tier is the next step up and contains "stronger" Pokemon as defined by the game. These Pokemon cover the range of entries from 163-372 in the spreadsheets. They each have 2 sets, with set 2 being the stronger set in most cases, and are most commonly encountered during battles 15-28 of a Tower streak. However, select species (which I've highlighted) can appear occasionally in certain trainer's pools after 49 wins, usually using their second "stronger" set only (but Wobbuffet and Ninjask notably have BOTH of their sets included in their respective post-49 wins pools).

Absol, Arbok, Azumarill, Banette, Bayleef, Bellossom, Cacturne, Camerupt, Castform, Chansey, Charmeleon, Chimecho, Cloyster, Combusken, Crawdaunt, Croconaw, Delcatty, Dragonair, Dunsparce, Furret, Girafarig, Gligar, Gloom, Golbat, Gorebyss, Graveler, Grumpig, Grovyle, Haunter, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Huntail, Illumise, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Kabutops, Kadabra, Kecleon, Kingler, Lairon, Lickitung, Linoone, Lunatone, Machoke, Magcargo, Magneton, Mantine, Marshtomp, Masquerain, Metang, Mightyena, Minun, Murkrow, Ninjask, Noctowl, Octillery, Omastar, Parasect, Pelipper, Persian, Pidgeot, Piloswine, Pinsir, Politoed, Plusle, Poliwrath, Ponyta, Porygon, Primeape, Pupitar, Quilava, Qwilfish, Raticate, Relicanth, Roselia, Sableye, Sandslash, Scyther, Seadra, Seaking, Sealeo, Seviper, Sharpedo, Shelgon, Sneasel, Solrock, Stantler, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Swalot, Swellow, Tangela, Togetic, Torkoal, Tropius, Venomoth, Vigoroth, Volbeat, Wailmer, Wartortle, Weepinbell, Wigglytuff, Wobbuffet, Zangoose

High tier basically contains fully evolved "strong" Pokemon not covered by the previous tiers. These are by far the most common Pokemon you'll encounter during the post-49 wins phase of your streak. Most of these Pokemon have 4 sets they can use against you. Initially, you'll only see set 1 variants of these species, but as you progress you'll see set 2, and then set 3, and finally set 4. Eventually, most of the trainers you face can use ANY of a Pokemon's sets against you, often forcing you to "scout" the set to determine how to best counter it.

On the following list, I've highlighted particular species. These guys are special because they have EIGHT different sets they can use rather than the traditional 4. Keep this in mind when scouting!

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Alakazam, Altaria, Ampharos, Arcanine, Armaldo, Blastoise, Blaziken, Blissey, Breloom, Charizard, Claydol, Clefable, Cradily, Crobat, Dewgong, Dodrio, Donphan, Dugtrio, Dusclops, Electabuzz, Electrode, Espeon, Exeggutor, Exploud, Fearow, Feraligatr, Flareon, Flygon, Forretress, Gardevoir, Gengar, Glalie, Golduck, Golem, Granbull, Gyarados, Hariyama, Heracross, Houndoom, Hypno, Jolteon, Jynx, Kangaskhan, Kingdra, Lanturn, Lapras, Ludicolo, Machamp, Magmar, Manectric, Marowak, Medicham, Meganium, Metagross, Milotic, Miltank, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Muk, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Ninetales, Quagsire, Raichu, Rapidash, Rhydon, Salamence, Sceptile, Scizor, Shiftry, Shuckle, Skarmory, Slowbro, Slaking, Slowking, Snorlax, Starmie, Steelix, Swampert, Tauros, Tentacruel, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Ursaring, Vaporeon, Venusaur, Victreebel, Vileplume, Wailord, Walrein, Weezing, Whiscash, Xatu

Finally, we have the Legends tier, which obviously contains the Frontier-legal Legendary Pokemon. Dragonite and Tyranitar are also grouped with these guys by the game, despite not being Legendary Pokemon. These guys only start appeared after 49+ wins has been reached in the Battle Tower. The number of sets each species has varies: Dragonite and Tyranitar have a whooping TEN sets they can use, while Latias and Latios have eight and the rest have six.

Interestingly, Dragonite and Tyranitar don't seem to appear as opponents in Level 50 at all. Presumably this is because it is "illegal" to obtain a level 50 variant of those species. In addition, some of us in the Battle Tree Discord have speculated that set 5/6 variants of Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Entei and Suicune don't appear in level 50 either. This is based off the fact that these specific sets are listed AFTER Dragonite and Tyranitar in the Frontier database, and that the game simply removes all sets in that range when playing at level 50. I do not have enough experience with the Frontier to confirm this but if anyone spots these and can debunk this feel free to let me know (preferably with evidence).

Articuno, Dragonite, Entei, Latias, Latios, Moltres, Raikou, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Suicune, Tyranitar, Zapdos

Post-49 wins trainer archetypes

The following is a reference list that shows the various trainer types and which Pokemon/sets they can use. Note that any references to Dragonite and Tyranitar only apply to Open level. If you're playing level 50 you won't see either of these guys so you can just ignore them. We can tentatively assume the same about set 5/6 variants of Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres and Raikou/Entei/Suicune.

In cases where I say something like "Set 4 High tiers" without further elaboration of specific species or type, assume that the trainer can use any High tier of the given set.

Youngster Jaxon – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Youngster Logan – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Lass Emilie – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Lass Josie – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Alakazam, Breloom, Clefable, Dewgong, Dodrio, Dugtrio, Dusclops, Electrode, Exploud, Fearow, Forretress, Glalie, Golem, Granbull, Hariyama, Hypno, Jynx, Lanturn, Ludicolo, Manectric, Marowak, Medicham, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Quagsire, Raichu, Rhydon, Shiftry, Skarmory, Victreebel, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu

---------------

Camper Armando – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Camper Skyler – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Picnicker Ruth – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
Picnicker Melody – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Aerodactyl, Altaria, Ampharos, Armaldo, Claydol, Cradily, Donphan, Electabuzz, Gardevoir, Gengar, Golduck, Heracross, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Machamp, Magmar, Miltank, Muk, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Ninetales, Porygon2, Rapidash, Scizor, Shuckle, Slowbro, Slowking, Steelix, Tauros, Tentacruel, Ursaring, Wailord, Weezing

---------------

Swimmer (M) Pedro – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Fighting + Sharpedo-2
Swimmer (M) Erick – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Fighting + Sharpedo-2

Swimmer (F) Elaine – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Ice
Swimmer (F) Joyce – Set 4 High tier Water/Normal/Ice

---------------

Pokefan (M) Todd – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)
Pokefan (M) Gavin – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)

Pokefan (F) Malory – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)
Pokefan (F) Esther – Set 4 High tiers of specific species + Delcatty/Porygon/Dunsparce/Wigglytuff/Chansey/Absol (set 2 only)

Altaria, Ampharos, Blissey, Clefable, Dewgong, Espeon, Flareon, Flygon, Gardevoir, Jolteon, Jynx, Lapras, Lanturn, Ludicolo, Milotic, Miltank, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Ninetales, Porygon2, Quagsire, Rapidash, Raichu, Shuckle, Slowbro, Slowking, Snorlax, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu

---------------

PKMN Breeder (M) Oscar – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
PKMN Breeder (M) Wilson – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

PKMN Breeder (F) Clare – Set 4 High tiers of specific species
PKMN Breeder (F) Tess – Set 4 High tiers of specific species

Aggron, Arcanine, Blastoise, Blaziken, Blissey, Charizard, Crobat, Espeon, Exeggutor, Feraligatr, Flareon, Flygon, Gyarados, Jolteon, Kingdra, Lapras, Meganium, Metagross, Milotic, Salamence, Sceptile, Slaking, Snorlax, Starmie, Swampert, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Venusaur, Walrein

---------------

Cooltrainer (M) Leon – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (M) Alonzo – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (M) Vince – High tiers with >4 sets (see tier list) + Latios/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Cooltrainer (M) Bryon – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latias)

Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Claydol, Donphan, Exeggutor, Flygon, Gardevoir, Gengar, Heracross, Houndoom, Jolteon, Machamp, Muk, Ninetales, Porygon2 Scizor, Shuckle, Starmie, Steelix, Tentacruel, Ursaring, Vaporeon, Venusaur, Wailord

Aggron, Arcanine, Blastoise, Blaziken, Blissey, Charizard, Crobat, Espeon, Feraligatr, Flareon, Gyarados, Kingdra, Lapras, Meganium, Metagross, Milotic, Salamence, Sceptile, Slaking, Snorlax, Swampert, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Walrein

Cooltrainer (F) Ava – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (F) Miriam – Set 1-4 High tiers of specific species
Cooltrainer (F) Carrie – High tiers with >4 sets (see tier list) + Latias/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Cooltrainer (F) Gillian – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latios)

Breloom, Clefable, Dewgong, Dodrio, Dugtrio, Dusclops, Fearow, Forretress, Granbull, Hariyama, Jynx, Lanturn, Manectric, Marowak, Medicham, Misdreavus, Mr. Mime, Quagsire, Raichu, Skarmory, Victreebel, Vileplume, Whiscash, Xatu

Alakazam, Altaria, Armaldo, Cradily, Electabuzz, Electrode, Exploud, Glalie, Golduck, Golem, Hypno, Kangaskhan, Ludicolo, Magmar, Miltank, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rapidash, Rhydon, Shiftry, Slowbro, Slowking, Tauros, Weezing

---------------

PKMN Ranger (M) Tyler – Set 4 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (M) Chaz – Set 3 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (M) Nelson – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latias)

PKMN Ranger (F) Shania – Set 2 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (F) Stella – Set 1 High tiers
PKMN Ranger (F) Dorine – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends (excluding Latios)

---------------

Dragon Tamer Maddox – High tier Dragons, “Draconic” Pokemon (e.g. Gyarados, Steelix) +Lati@s/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Dragon Tamer Davin – High tier Dragons, “Draconic” Pokemon (e.g. Gyarados, Steelix) + Lati@s/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)
Dragon Tamer Trevon – High tier Dragons, “Draconic” Pokemon (e.g. Gyarados, Steelix) + Lati@s/Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets)

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Altaria, Charizard, Flygon, Gyarados, Kingdra, Lapras, Milotic, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhydon, Salamence, Steelix

---------------

Black Belt Mateo – High tier Fighting/Rock (all sets), no legends
Black Belt Bret – High tier Fighting/Fire (all sets), no legends
Black Belt Raul – High tier Fighting/Steel (all sets), no legends

Battle Girl Kay – High tier Fighting/Rock (all sets), no legends
Battle Girl Elena – High tier Fighting/Fire (all sets), no legends
Battle Girl Alana – High tier Fighting/Steel (all sets), no legends

---------------

Expert (M) Alexas – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Attack/physically oriented Pokemon + Regis/Tyranitar
Expert (M) Weston – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Sp. Atk/specially oriented Pokemon + Regis/Latios/Tyranitar
Expert (M) Jasper – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” HP/Defense/Sp. Def. stats + Regis/Tyranitar

Expert (F) Nadia – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Attack/physically oriented Pokemon + Regis/Dragonite
Expert (F) Miranda – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” Sp. Atk/specially oriented Pokemon + Regis/Latias/Tyranitar
Expert (F) Emma – All sets of specific High tiers, mostly with “high” HP/Defense/Sp. Def. stats + Regis/Dragonite

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Breloom, Gyarados, Heracross, Kingdra, Machamp, Marowak, Metagross, Rhydon, Salamence, Scizor, Steelix, Ursaring

Alakazam, Ampharos, Blaziken, Crobat, Espeon, Gardevoir, Gengar, Houndoom, Jynx, Misdreavus, Sceptile, Starmie, Swampert

Blissey, Cradily, Dusclops, Exeggutor, Lapras, Ludicolo, Milotic, Miltank, Quagsire, Shuckle, Slowbro, Slowking, Snorlax, Umbreon, Wailord, Walrein

---------------

Psychic (M) Rolando – High tier Psychic + Latios/legendary birds (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Stanly – High tier Psychic + Latios/legendary beasts (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Dario – High tier Psychic + Latios/Regis (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)

Psychic (F) Karlee – High tier Psychic + Latias/legendary birds (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Jaylin – High tier Psychic + Latias/legendary beasts (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)
Psychic (M) Ingrid – High tier Psychic + Latios/Regis (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets)

---------------

Hex Maniac Delilah – High tier Ghost/Dark (all sets) + Sharpedo/Absol (set 2 only)
Hex Maniac Carly – High tier Poison/Ghost (all sets) + Seviper-2
Hex Maniac Lexie – High tier Dark/Poison (all sets) + Seviper/Sharpedo/Absol (set 2 only)

---------------

Pokemaniac Miller – Set 1/2 of specific High tiers + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Zangoose-2
Pokemoniac Marv – Set 3/4 of specific High tiers + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Zangoose-2
Pokemaniac Layton – All sets of specific High tiers + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Zangoose-2

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Blastoise, Blissey, Charizard, Donphan, Exploud, Feraligatr, Flygon, Glalie, Golem, Granbull, Gyarados, Kangaskhan, Lapras, Marowak, Meganium, Metagross, Miltank, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhydon, Salamence, Skarmory, Slaking, Snorlax, Steelix, Swampert, Tauros, Ursaring, Venusaur, Wailord, Walrein

Aerodactyl, Aggron, Charizard, Gyarados, Lapras, Meganium, Metagross, Salamence, Snorlax, Steelix, Swampert, Ursaring

---------------

Gentleman Brooks – Set 4 High tiers
Gentleman Gregory – High tiers with >4 sets (see tier list) + Dragonite/Tyranitar (all sets) + Lati@s (sets 1-4 only)
Gentleman Reese – All sets of Dragonite/Tyranitar/Legends

---------------

Triathlete (M runner) Mason – Set 4 High tiers
Triathlete (M runner) Toby – Set 3 High tier

Triathlete (F runner) Dorothy – Set 2 High tier
Triathlete (F runner) Piper – Set 1 High tier

Triathlete (M swimmer) Finn – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 3-4 only, 3-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)
Triathlete (M swimmer) Samir – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 3-4 only, 3-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)

Triathlete (F swimmer) Fiona – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 1-2 only, sets 1/2/5-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)
Triathlete (F swimmer) Gloria – High tier Ice/Fighting (all sets) + Water (sets 1-2 only, sets 1/2/5-8 for Starmie/Lapras) + Sneasel/Cloyster (set 2 only)

Triathlete (M cyclist) Nico – Set 4 High tier
Triathlete (M cyclist) Jeremy – Set 3 High tier

Triathlete (F cyclist) Caitlyn – Set 2 High tier
Triathlete (F cyclist) Reena – Set 1 High tier

---------------

Bug Maniac Avery – High tier Bug (all sets) + Parasect/Masquerain/Venomoth/Scyther/Pinsir (set 2 only) + Shedinja-1 + Ninjask (both sets)
Bug Maniac Liam – High tier Bug (all sets) + Parasect/Masquerain/Venomoth/Scyther/Pinsir (set 2 only) + Shedinja-1 + Ninjask (both sets)

---------------

Fisherman Theo – High tier Waters (Lanturn/Whiscash/Wailord/Tentacruel/Starmie only, all sets) + Seaking/Sharpedo/Mantine/Crawdaunt/Kingler/Octillery/Huntail/Gorebyss/Relicanth/Cloyster (set 2 only)
Fisherman Bailey – High tier Waters (Lanturn/Whiscash/Wailord/Tentacruel/Starmie only, all sets) + Seaking/Sharpedo/Mantine/Crawdaunt/Kingler/Octillery/Huntail/Gorebyss/Relicanth/Cloyster (set 2 only)

---------------

Ruin Maniac Hugo – High tier Rock/Steel + Regis (all sets)
Ruin Maniac Bryce – High tier Rock/Steel + Regis (all sets)

---------------

Collector Gideon – Starters (all sets)
Collector Tristran – Starters (all sets)

---------------

Guitarist Charles – High tier Electric/Dark (all sets) + Absol-2 + legendary birds (all sets)
Guitarist Raymond – High tier Pokemon/Regis/Lati@s sets with Thunder Wave

---------------

Bird Keeper Dirk – High tier Flying (all sets) + legendary birds (sets 1-4) + Pidgeot-2
Bird Keeper Harold – High tier Flying (all sets) + legendary birds (sets 1-4) + Pidgeot-2

---------------

Sailor Omar – High tier Water/Fighting (all sets)
Sailor Pete – High tier Water/Fighting (all sets)

---------------

Hiker Dev – High tier Rock/Ground + Tyranitar (all sets)
Hiker Corey – High tier Rock/Ground + Tyranitar (all sets)

---------------

Kindler Andre – High tier Fire/Ghost + Dragonite (all sets)
Kindler Ferris – High tier Fire/Ghost + Dragonite (all sets)

---------------

Parasol Lady Alivia – High tier Pokemon sets with Hail/Rain Dance/Sunny Day (if set 1-4 only, no legends)
Parasol Lady Paige – High tier Pokemon sets with Hail/Rain Dance/Sunny Day (if set 1-4 only, no legends)

---------------

Beauty Anya – Eeveelutions (all sets)
Beauty Dawn – High tier Pokemon/Legendary sets with Attract

---------------

Aroma Lady Abby – High tier Grass/Psychic (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets) + Sunflora/Jumpluff/Tropius/Cacturne/Bellossom (set 2 only)
Aroma Lady Greta – High tier Grass/Psychic (all sets) + Wobbuffet (both sets) + Sunflora/Jumpluff/Tropius/Cacturne/Bellossom (set 2 only)

AI behaviour

During early rounds (the first 4 rounds of the Tower I believe), the AI tends to act rather randomly and will sometimes use nonsensical options (e.g. Thunderbolt into a Ground-type, status into an already status-ed Pokemon, Attract on a genderless Pokemon). This, on top of the generally weaker species you see, makes these rounds easier overall, although the randomness of the AI can sometimes make switching less safe.

After this time, the AI becomes "smarter" and starts to use the "correct" moves. As a result, you will no longer be able to rely on AI "stupidity" to win as much as before. However, the AI also follows some rough attacking patterns that can make them predictable.

The following is a list of some behaviours I've noted from "smart" AI opponents (expanded from the list I posted in a previous thread):
  • If the AI is in a situation where they know they have a move that can/will KO your Pokemon, it will generally favour this move no matter what.
    • They tend to favour this option above all others.
    • If they have multiple moves that can KO you, they may use any of them. The AI can sometimes shoot themselves in the foot because of this - they may try and fail to KO you with a move that only had a 10% chance to do so, when they had another move with a guaranteed chance to KO, for example.
    • However, if the AI has a priority move like Quick Attack that can KO you at your current HP level, they will usually favour that above all other options.
  • If the AI can't KO, they'll typically use their most powerful move against your current Pokemon.
    • They tend to only react to whatever they're facing and usually won't try to "predict" a switch-in from something that it has faced in the battle already. For example, if you were facing a SPIT Starmie with Milotic, and subsequently switched to a Flygon on Thunderbolt, the AI will only act next turn in accordance with the fact that it's facing a Flygon for that turn (i.e. it'll use Ice Beam) - it won't take Milotic's previous presence in battle into account to try and "predict" a switch-in by throwing out a Thunderbolt. This fact can be used to our advantage to PP stall dangerous Pokemon out of their moves by switching back-and-forth between team mates on resisted moves. The AI will usually never pick up on this.
    • As a result of all of the above, 4-attacks sets tend to be the easiest to predict.
    • If a opponent's "preferred" move runs out of PP, the opponent seems to attack somewhat randomly after that (rather than select their second strongest attack), making them harder to predict.
  • The AI is generally not aware of abilities that grant an immunity to certain moves (e.g. Volt Absorb) until they trigger them, but once they do, they'll generally refuse to use the moves that trigger it again unless you switch away.
  • Sets involving status moves (especially no-attacks sets, such as those awful Double Team spammers) can be harder to predict sometimes.
    • If they can't KO you, they'll often try using status moves instead.
    • They'll generally try anything that may be effective against you but the order in which they use these moves is sometimes random. They seem to have a preference for boosting stats before inflicting status however, so if the AI carries moves that boost themselves, they will usually prioritize using those over other status moves (Toxic, Leech Seed, etc).
    • Pokemon with status moves tend to use these moves against Pokemon currently not inflicted by status if they are unable to KO you with one of their moves. They also tend to not use these moves again once you are inflicted with the status, at least until it wears off. This applies to volatile and non-volatile status.
      • As an example, if the Pokemon with Toxic and Leech Seed has already successfully used these moves against you, they probably won't use these again. If you were to remove these statuses with a switch or through some other method, they would be inclined to use them again.
  • The AI is content with getting into boosting wars with you if you decide to set up. The amount they decide to boost seems to depend on the move.
    • For most moves that boost power (e.g. Curse, Calm Mind), they will keep boosting until they can KO you, or until they've maxed out their boosts.
    • Dragon Dance is slightly different. They prefer to use this only until they out-speed you, and then they'll start attacking regardless of the power level.
      • As a general rule, the AI seems to like having the Speed advantage and will use whatever means they have to get it. This can include stat-changing moves (Icy Wind, Dragon Dance, etc) or status (i.e. paralysis)
  • The AI is terrible at playing with status moves against Substitute. For example, they will often happily spam status moves repeatedly into Substitute, allowing for some free set-up opportunities.
  • The AI almost never switches out of your Pokemon no matter how bad the match-up is for them - they'll stick with the Pokemon even if it has absolutely no way to damage your Pokemon (e.g. a mono-Electric attacker against a Ground-type). This is what allows crippling/TrickBand strategies to work.
    • They are some situations where the AI may switch:
      • Wonder Guard is a notable exception to the above rule. If Shedinja completely walls a set and the opponent has a back-up Pokemon that has some way to hurt Shedinja, they'll usually switch immediately.
        • I have observed Pokemon being walled by Shedinja choosing to stay in for a few turns before switching every now and again.
      • The most common situation where a switch will occur for most teams relates to resist switching. If you attack a Pokemon with one of your moves, and the opposing Pokemon has a back-up Pokemon that resists or is immune to that attack, they may switch to the resistant Pokemon in an attempt to predict the same move. This can be played around sometimes if you have an alternate move that can do comparable damage and/or is sufficient to KO them, so be sure to look out for this. The AI only cares about resistances in these situations and has no regard for whether the Pokemon that it is switching in can actually do damage to your Pokemon or not.
        • I am not certain if this also extends to immunities/resistances granted by abilities (Volt Absorb, Thick Fat, etc.) - the rules around this are different in each generation. I can't recall ever seeing it though.
      • Some Pokemon carry moves like Explosion and Baton Pass which, when used, results in the opponent "switching" their Pokemon. This should be kept in mind when using crippling strategies.
      • If the opponent is afflicted with Perish Song, they usually stay in until the counter drops to 1 and then switch immediately, assuming they can do so.
      • If the opponent has the ability Natural Cure, is asleep AND has at least 50% of its HP remaining, it may switch to cure itself. Seriously.
  • A Pokemon with Sleep Talk will favour this move if sleeping. Pokemon with Rest and Sleep Talk are unable to figure out when it is about to wake up after using Rest and will attempt to use Sleep Talk on the turn it wakes up, resulting in failure. The same probably applies to Snore, but the only set that has Snore in the Frontier is Sealeo1, which only appears during the early "random" AI rounds.
  • Psych Up is used by the opponent in ways that can be exploited by us.
    • If you start setting up against a Pokemon with Psych Up, the Pokemon will tend to eventually start spamming Psych Up in an attempt to match your boosts. They may not start using it immediately, but after about 3-5 turns of boosting, they'll start spamming it endlessly until you stop boosting and they have copied the same boosts you have. They can do this EVEN if they are low on health.
    • Some sets have Swagger and Psych Up together and they often like to combo these moves - Swagger to confuse you and boost your attack, and then Psych Up to copy the boosts for themselves. This can be abused for a free switch out to cure the confusion.
  • The AI like to use recovery moves like Recover when sitting at around 60% HP or less.
  • The AI also like to set weather if it isn't active yet.
  • The AI tends to use Counter and Mirror Coat somewhat erratically, just randomly throwing out these moves whenever they like.
    • I have even observed opponents attempt to use these moves when their HP is in the red and they have no prospect of surviving an attack to reflect back at you.
  • The AI also tends to use OHKO moves like Sheer Cold randomly as well. Sets with OHKOes moves alongside more standard moves will often alternate between the OHKO move and its other moves.
  • The AI likes to use Explosion when it HP drops very low/into the red.
  • The AI tends to favour moves with perfect accuracy (e.g. Aerial Ace) if you boost your evasion to a certain extent. The trigger for this behaviour seems to be 2+ evasion.
Some doubles AI behaviour:
  • The AI loves spread damage moves, ESPECIALLY if their partner is immune to the attack.
  • If a Skill Swap user is paired with a Pokemon with Truant, the Pokemon will favour using Skill Swap on its Truant ally over other options (including KOing if it’s possible). After acquiring Truant themselves and loafing the next turn, the Skill Swap user will attempt to swap it to one of the opposing Pokemon.
If there's anything else to add or anything here that isn't correct/clear, let me know.

Speed tiers

I have made more complete speed tiers for both Level 50 and Open. These lists only include sets that appear during 49+ win streaks since I believe these are the main sets that you should be preparing for. This basically includes all sets of High tier and Legends, as well as selected Mid and Low tier sets that may appear occasionally from specific opponents.

For Open, I set the level to 100. I have not included Dragonite, Tyranitar or set 5/6 variants of Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres/Raikou/Entei/Suicune for the level 50 list for now, nor have I included Frontier Brain Pokemon. Please let me know if you see any errors and I'll amend it.

Jolteon-4

Crobat-3, Crobat-4, Jolteon-1

Ninjask-1, Ninjask-2

Dugtrio-1, Dugtrio-2, Dugtrio-3, Dugtrio-4, Sceptile-1, Sceptile-2, Sceptile-4, Sneasel-2

Aerodactyl-1, Aerodactyl-2

Raikou-1, Raikou-2, Raikou-3, Raikou-4, Starmie-3, Starmie-4, Starmie-5, Starmie-7, Starmie-8

Gengar1

Espeon-2, Espeon-3, Espeon-4, Gengar-2, Gengar-3, Gengar-4, Gengar-5, Gengar-6, Gengar-7, Gengar-8, Tauros-1

Sceptile-3

Electrode-2, Electrode-3, Electrode-4

Electabuzz-3, Manectric-1, Manectric-2, Manectric-3, Manectric-4, Scyther-2

Kangaskhan-3

Charizard-1, Charizard-2, Charizard-3, Dodrio-1, Dodrio-2, Dodrio-3, Dodrio-4, Entei-1, Entei-2, Entei-3, Entei-4, Fearow-1, Fearow-2, Fearow-3, Flygon-1, Flygon-2, Ninetales-1, Ninetales-2, Ninetales-3, Ninetales-4, Raichu-1, Raichu-3, Salamence-1, Salamence-7, Salamence-8, Typhlosion-1, Typhlosion-3, Zapdos-1, Zapdos-2

Espeon-1, Latias-8, Latios-8

Aerodactyl-3, Aerodactyl-4, Crobat-1, Crobat-2, Heracross-2, Jolteon-2, Jolteon-3, Misdreavus-4, Pinsir-2

Xatu-3

Arcanine-1, Arcanine-2, Arcanine-3, Arcanine-4, Houndoom-2, Houndoom-3, Houndoom-4

Electabuzz-2, Rapidash-2, Rapidash-3, Rapidash-4

Gardevoir-6, Magmar-2, Meganium-3

Electrode-1

Pidgeot-2

Kangaskhan-4, Moltres-3, Moltres-5, Venomoth-2, Zangoose-2

Charizard-4, Flygon-3, Flygon-4, Raichu-1, Rapidash-1, Salamence-2, Tentacruel-3, Typhlosion-2, Typhlosion-4, Zapdos-3

Alakazam-1, Alakazam-2, Alakazam-3, Alakazam-4

Articuno-1, Golduck-4, Heracross-3, Heracross-4, Suicune-1, Suicune-3, Suicune-4

Houndoom-1, Sharpedo-2

Starmie-1, Starmie-2, Starmie-6

Breloom-1

Gardevoir-1, Gyarados-2

Blaziken-3, Gardevoir-3, Gardevoir-4, Gardevoir-8, Glalie-2, Medicham-1, Medicham-2, Medicham-3

Jumpluff-2, Latias-1, Latias-2, Latias-3, Latias-4, Latias-5, Latias-6, Latias-7, Latios-1, Latios-2, Latios-3, Latios-4, Latios-5, Latios-6, Latios-7, Tauros-2, Tauros-3, Tauros-4

Flareon-3

Absol-2

Golduck-2

Electabuzz-4

Lapras-2

Breloom-2, Breloom-3, Breloom-4, Delcatty-2, Metagross-5

Gardevoir-5, Glalie-3

Exploud-3, Fearow-4, Miltank-1, Miltank-2, Miltank-3, Miltank-4, Raichu-4, Salamence-3, Salamence-4, Salamence-5, Salamence-6, Slaking-1, Slaking-2, Slaking-3, Slaking-4, Tentacruel-1, Tentacruel-2, Tentacruel-4, Zapdos-4

Lanturn-3, Lanturn-4

Jynx-1, Jynx-2, Jynx-3, Jynx-4, Xatu-1, Xatu-2, Xatu-4

Magmar-3, Magmar-4

Donphan-2, Electabuzz-1

Metagross-1, Metagross-2, Metagross-3, Metagross-8

Kangaskhan-1, Kangaskhan-2, Moltres-1, Moltres-2, Mr. Mime-2, Mr. Mime-3, Mr. Mime-4

Articuno-2, Articuno-3, Articuno-4, Golduck-3, Heracross-1, Kingdra-1, Kingdra-2, Kingdra-3, Kingdra-4, Misdreavus-1, Misdreavus-2, Misdreavus-3, Nidoking-1, Nidoking-2, Nidoking-3, Nidoking-4, Suicune-2

Magmar-1

Gyarados-1, Gyarados-3, Gyarados-4, Milotic-1, Milotic-2, Milotic-3, Milotic-4, Shedinja-1

Altaria-1, Altaria-2, Altaria-3, Altaria-4, Blaziken-1, Blaziken-2, Blaziken-4, Gardevoir-2, Gardevoir-7, Glalie-1, Glalie-4, Medicham-4, Meganium-1, Meganium-2, Meganium-4, Shiftry-2, Shiftry-3, Shiftry-4, Venusaur-2, Venusaur-3, Venusaur-4

Moltres-4, Mr. Mime-1

Blastoise-1, Blatoise-3, Blastoise-4, Feraligatr-3, Feraligatr-4

Marowak-2, Marowak-3, Marowak-4

Nidoqueen-1, Nidoqueen-2, Nidoqueen-3, Nidoqueen-4, Ursaring-3

Claydol-1, Claydol-2, Claydol-3, Claydol-4, Kingler-2

Golduck-1

Cloyster-2, Dewgong-2, Dewgong-3, Dewgong-4, Ludicolo-2, Ludicolo-3, Ludicolo-4, Mantine-2, Metagross-4, Metagross-6, Metagross-7, Shiftry-1, Skarmory-1, Skarmory-2, Skarmory-3, Skarmory-4, Venusaur-1, Victreebel-2, Victreebel-3, Victreebel-4

Blastoise-2, Feraligatr-1, Feraligatr-2, Exploud-1, Exploud-2, Exploud-4, Seaking-2

Hypno-2, Hypno-3, Hypno-4, Lanturn-2

Flareon-1, Seviper-2, Scizor-1, Scizor-2, Scizor-3, Scizor-4, Umbreon-1, Umbreon-2, Umbreon-3, Umbreon-4, Vaporeon-1, Vaporeon-2, Vaporeon-3, Vaporeon-4, Walrein-2, Walrein-3

Dewgong-1, Ludicolo-1, Victreebel-1

Clefable-2, Clefable-3, Clefable-4, Lapras-1, Lapras-3, Lapras-4, Lapras-5, Lapras-6, Lapras-7, Lapras-8, Porygon2-1, Porygon2-2, Porygon2-3, Porygon2-4, Swampert-1, Swampert-2, Wailord-2, Wailord-3, Wailord-4, Weezing-1, Weezing-2, Weezing-3, Weezing-4, Whiscash-1, Whiscash-2, Whiscash-3

Hypno-1, Lanturn-1

Flareon-2, Flareon-4, Walrein-1, Walrein-4

Ampharos-2, Ampharos-3, Ampharos-4, Blissey-1, Blissey-2, Blissey-3, Blissey-4, Cacturne-2, Crawdaunt-2, Exeggutor-2, Exeggutor-3, Exeggutor-4, Machamp-1, Machamp-2, Machamp-3, Machamp-4, Machamp-5, Machamp-6, Machamp-7, Machamp-8, Ursaring-1, Ursaring-2, Ursaring-4, Ursaring-5, Ursaring-6, Ursaring-7, Ursaring-8

Clefable-1, Masquerain-2, Swampert-3, Swampert-4, Wailord-1, Whiscash-4

Aggron-1, Aggron-2, Aggron-3, Aggron-4, Bellossom-2, Donphan-1, Donphan-3, Donphan-4, Hariyama-1, Hariyama-3, Hariyama-4, Muk-1, Muk-2, Regirock-1, Regirock-2, Regirock-3, Regirock-4, Regice-1, Regice-4, Registeel-1, Registeel-3, Registeel-4, Vileplume-1, Vileplume-2, Vileplume-3

Ampharos-1, Exeggutor-1, Relicanth-2

Armaldo-1, Armaldo-2, Armaldo-3, Armaldo-4, Golem-1, Golem-2, Golem-3, Golem-4, Gorebyss-2, Granbull-1, Granbull-3, Huntail-2, Marowak-1, Octillery-2, Wigglytuff-2

Tropius-2

Chansey-2, Cradily-2, Cradily-3, Cradily-4, Hariyama-2, Muk-3, Muk-4, Regice-2, Regice-3, Registeel-2, Vileplume-4

Forretress-1, Forretress-2, Forretress-4, Kecleon-2, Rhydon-1, Rhydon-2, Rhydon-3, Rhydon-4

Dunsparce-2, Granbull-2, Granbull-4

Cradily-1

Quagsire-1, Quagsire-3

Forretress-3, Porygon-2

Wobbuffet1, Wobbuffet2

Parasect-2, Slowbro-2, Slowking-2, Slowking-4, Snorlax-1, Snorlax-2, Snorlax-3, Snorlax-4, Snorlax-5, Snorlax06, Snorlax-7, Snorlax-8, Steelix-1, Steelix-2, Steelix-3, Steelix-4

Quagsire-2, Quagsire-4

Dusclops-1, Dusclops-2, Dusclops-3, Dusclops-4, Slowbro-1, Slowbro-3, Slowbro-4, Slowking-1, Slowking-3, Sunflora-2

Shuckle-2, Shuckle-3, Shuckle-4

Shuckle1

Jolteon-4

Crobat-3, Crobat-4, Jolteon-1

Ninjask-1, Ninjask-2

Dugtrio-1, Dugtrio-2, Dugtrio-3, Dugtrio-4, Sceptile-1, Sceptile-2, Sceptile-4

Aerodactyl-1, Aerodactyl-2, Sneasel-2

Raikou-1, Raikou-2, Raikou-3, Raikou-4, Raikou-5, Starmie-3, Starmie-4, Starmie-5, Starmie-7, Starmie-8

Gengar-1

Espeon-2, Espeon-3, Espeon-4, Gengar-2, Gengar-3, Gengar-4, Gengar-5, Gengar-6, Gengar-7, Gengar-8, Tauros-1

Sceptile-3

Electrode-2, Electrode-3, Electrode-4

Electabuzz-3, Manectric-1, Manectric-2, Manectric-3, Manectric-4, Scyther-2

Kangaskhan-3

Charizard-1, Charizard-2, Charizard-3, Dodrio-1, Dodrio-2, Dodrio-3, Dodrio-4, Entei-1, Entei-2, Entei-3, Entei-4, Fearow-1, Fearow-2, Fearow-3, Flygon-1, Flygon-2, Ninetales-1, Ninetales-2, Ninetales-3, Ninetales-4, Raichu-2, Raichu-3, Salamence-1, Salamence-7, Salamence-8, Typhlosion-1, Typhlosion-3, Zapdos-1, Zapdos-2

Espeon-1, Latias-8, Latios-8

Aerodactyl-3, Aerodactyl-4, Crobat-1, Crobat-2, Jolteon-2, Jolteon-3

Heracross-2, Misdreavus-4, Pinsir-2

Xatu-3

Arcanine-1, Arcanine-2, Arcanine-3, Arcanine-4, Houndoom-2, Houndoom-3, Houndoom-4

Electabuzz-2, Rapidash-2, Rapidash-3, Rapidash-4

Magmar-2

Electrode-1, Gardevoir-6, Meganium-3

Pidgeot-2

Kangaskhan-4, Moltres-3, Moltres-5, Venomoth-2, Zangoose-2

Charizard-4, Flygon-3, Flygon-4, Raichu-1, Rapidash-1, Salamence-2, Tentacruel-3, Typhlosion-2, Typhlosion-4, Zapdos-3, Zapdos-6

Alakazam-1, Alakazam-2, Alakazam-3, Alakazam-4

Articuno-1, Golduck-4, Heracross-3, Heracross-4, Suicune-1, Suicune-3, Suicune-4

Houndoom-1, Sharpedo-2

Raikou-6, Starmie-1, Starmie-2, Starmie-6

Breloom-1

Gardevoir-1, Gyarados-2

Blaziken-3, Dragonite-6, Dragonite-7, Dragonite-8, Gardevoir-3, Gardevoir-4, Gardveoir-8, Glalie-2, Medicham-1, Medicham-2, Medicham-3

Jumpluff-2, Latias-1, Latias-2, Latias-3, Latias-4, Latias-5, Latias-6, Latias-7, Latios-1, Latios-2, Latios-3, Latios-4, Latios-5, Latios-6, Latios-7, Tauros-2, Tauros-3, Tauros-4

Flareon-3

Absol-2

Golduck-2

Electabuzz-4

Lapras-2

Breloom-2, Breloom-3, Breloom-4, Delcatty-2, Metagross-5

Gardevoir-5, Glalie-3

Entei-5, Entei-6, Fearow-4, Miltank-1, Miltank-2, Miltank-3, Miltank-4, Raichu-4, Salamence-3, Salamence-4, Salamence-5, Salamence-6, Slaking-1, Slaking-2, Slaking-3, Slaking-4, Tentacruel-1, Tentacruel-2, Tentacruel-4, Zapdos-4, Zapdos-5

Exploud-3

Lanturn-3, Lanturn-4

Jynx-1, Jynx-2, Jynx-3, Jynx-4, Xatu-1, Xatu-2, Xatu-4

Magmar-3, Magmar-4

Electabuzz-1

Donphan-2, Metagross-1, Metagross-2, Metagross-3, Metagross-8

Kangaskhan-1, Kangaskhan-2, Moltres-1, Moltres-2, Moltres-6, Mr. Mime-2, Mr. Mime-3, Mr. Mime-4

Articuno-2, Articuno-3, Articuno-4, Articuno-5, Articuno-6, Golduck-3, Heracross-1, Kingdra-1, Kingdra-2, Kingdra-3, Kingdra-4, Misdreavus-1, Misdreavus-2, Misdreavus-3, Nidoking-1, Nidoking-2, Nidoking-3, Nidoking-4, Suicune-2, Suicune-5, Suicune-6

Magmar-1

Gyarados-1, Gyarados-3, Gyarados-4, Milotic-1, Milotic-2, Milotic-3, Milotic-4

Altaria-1, Altaria-2, Altaria-3, Altaria-4, Blaziken-1, Blaziken-2, Blaziken-4, Dragonite-1, Dragonite-2, Dragonite-3, Dragonite-4, Dragonite-5, Dragonite-9, Dragonite-10, Gardevoir-2, Gardevoir-7, Glalie-1, Glalie-4, Medicham-4, Meganium-1, Meganium-2, Meganium-4, Shedinja-1, Shiftry-2, Shiftry-3, Shiftry-4, Venusaur-2, Venusaur-3, Venusaur-4

Moltres-4, Mr. Mime-1

Blastoise-1, Blastoise-3, Blastoise-4, Feraligatr-3, Feraligatr-4

Marowak-2, Marowak-3, Marowak-4

Nidoqueen-1, Nidoqueen-2, Nidoqueen-3, Nidoqueen-4, Ursaring-3

Claydol-1, Claydol-2, Claydol-3, Claydol-4, Kingler-2

Golduck-1

Cloyster-2, Dewgong-2, Dewgong-3, Dewgong-4, Ludicolo-2, Ludicolo-3, Ludicolo-4, Mantine-2, Metagross-4, Metagross-6, Metagross-7, Shiftry-1, Skarmory-1, Skarmory-2, Skarmory-3, Skarmory-4, Venusaur-1, Victreebel-2, Victreebel-3, Victreebel-4

Blastoise-2, Feraligatr-1, Feraligatr-2, Exploud-1, Exploud-2, Exploud-4, Seaking-2

Hypno-2, Hypno-3, Hypno-4, Lanturn-2

Flareon-1, Seviper-2, Scizor-1, Scizor-2, Scizor-3, Scizor-4, Umbreon-1, Umbreon-2, Umbreon-3, Umbreon-4, Vaporeon-1, Vaporeon-2, Vaporeon-3, Vaporeon-4, Walrein-2, Walrein-3

Dewgong-1, Ludicolo-1, Tyranitar-1, Tyranitar-2, Tyranitar-3, Tyranitar-4, Tyranitar-5, Tyranitar-6, Tyranitar-7, Tyranitar-8, Tyranitar-9, Tyranitar-10, Victreebel-1

Clefable-2, Clefable-3, Clefable-4, Lapras-1, Lapras-3, Lapras-4, Lapras-5, Lapras-6, Lapras-7, Lapras-8, Porygon2-1, Porygon2-2, Porygon2-3, Porygon2-4, Swampert-1, Swampert-2, Wailord-2, Wailord-3, Wailord-4, Weezing-1, Weezing-2, Weezing-3, Weezing-4, Whiscash-1, Whiscash-2, Whiscash-3

Hypno-1, Lanturn-1

Flareon-2, Flareon-4, Walrein-1, Walrein-4

Ampharos-2, Ampharos-3, Ampharos-4, Blissey-1, Blissey-2, Blissey-3, Blissey-4, Cacturne-2, Crawdaunt-2, Exeggutor-2, Exeggutor-3, Exeggutor-4, Machamp-1, Machamp-2, Machamp-3, Machamp-4, Machamp-5, Machamp-6, Machamp-7, Machamp-8, Ursaring-1, Ursaring-2, Ursaring-4, Ursaring-5, Ursaring-6, Ursaring-7, Ursaring-8

Clefable-1, Masquerain-2, Swampert-3, Swampert-4, Wailord-1, Whiscash-4

Aggron-1, Aggron-2, Aggron-3, Aggron-4, Bellossom-2, Donphan-1, Donphan-3, Donphan-4, Hariyama-1, Hariyama-3, Hariyama-4, Muk-1, Muk-2, Regirock-1, Regirock-2, Regirock-3, Regirock-4, Regirock-5, Regirock-6, Regice-1, Regice-4, Regice-6, Registeel-1, Registeel-3, Registeel-4, Registeel-5, Registeel-6, Vileplume-1, Vileplume-2, Vileplume-3

Ampharos-1, Exeggutor-1, Relicanth-2

Armaldo-1, Armaldo-2, Armaldo-3, Armaldo-4, Golem-1, Golem-2, Golem-3, Golem-4, Gorebyss-2, Granbull-1, Granbull-3, Huntail-2, Marowak-1, Octillery-2, Wigglytuff-2

Tropius-2

Chansey-2, Cradily-2, Cradily-3, Cradily-4, Hariyama-2, Muk-3, Muk-4, Regice-2, Regice-3, Regice-5, Registeel-2, Vileplume-4

Forretress-1, Forretress-2, Forretress-4, Kecleon-2, Rhydon-1, Rhydon-2, Rhydon-3, Rhydon-4

Dunsparce-2, Granbull-2, Granbull-4

Cradily-1

Quagsire-1, Quagsire-3

Forretress-3, Porygon-2

Wobbuffet1, Wobbuffet2

Parasect-2, Slowbro-2, Slowking-2, Slowking-4, Snorlax-1, Snorlax-2, Snorlax-3, Snorlax-4, Snorlax-5, Snorlax-6, Snorlax-7, Snorlax-8, Steelix-1, Steelix-2, Steelix-3, Steelix-4

Quagsire-2, Quagsire-4

Dusclops-1, Dusclops-2, Dusclops-3, Dusclops-4, Slowbro-1, Slowbro-3, Slowbro-4, Slowking-1, Slowking-3, Sunflora-2

Shuckle-2, Shuckle-3, Shuckle-4

Shuckle1

Other random tidbits
  • BP rewards at the end of completed rounds for all facilities will increase gradually as you extend your streak, with the maximum yield seemingly capped at 15 BP.
  • In at least some facilities, the Frontier Brains will challenge you again with their gold teams at certain win streak intervals.
    • In the Battle Dome, Tucker will challenge you every 5 rounds (5 tourneys/20 battles) with his Swampert/Metagross/Latias team.
    • In the Battle Pyramid, Brandon will challenge you every 5 rounds (35 floors) with his Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres team.
    • My current theory is that this only occurs in facilities that use non-standard metrics to measure streak lengths. For example, the Pyramid and Dome don't record streaks by number of wins, but by number of floor cleared and number of tourneys cleared, respectively. I suspect that Lucy will continue to challenge you with her Gold team in the Pike (where streaks are reported as number of rooms cleared) while the Brain won't appear again in the Tower, Factory, Arena and Palace. Feel free to correct me on this though.
    • Have spoken to some people and apparently it occurs in the Tower too. Probably occurs in all facilities.
    • BP rewards are increased if you beat the Brain at the end of the round, capped at 25 BP.
I faced anabel in battle 105 so means she appears every 5 rounds, my guess is every facility will follow the rule of the amount of rounds that it takes to face them the first times, so factory and palace would be every 3 and arena would be every 4, not sure on pike and pyramid as they have their own unique rules as they dont seem to follow a twice amount of rounds for the brain, I faced lucy in round 14 after beating her in round 10 for the gold symbol so who knows what formula they use it doenst seem to make much sense

Unfortunately, the team lost at the 19th tournament. Lost to a Thriathlete with Milotic and Lapras 8 (the most haxxy set) who went ham on Slaking and Latias scoring QC Horn Drills. Considering that my new attempts after the Gamecube disc fiasco were not successful, I'm officially finished with Dome. GUCCI GANG will end at 60 tournament wins (even though the game shows the record at 59) which something very heart breaking for me because I legitimately felt that the team could definitely reach the 100th tournament benchmark and up to my favor on the original streak, I didn't had many terrible match-ups and most of the time my picks were spot on.

On the 60 win streak, I only had one battle that was decided by a tie due to Slaking dying to DE recoil after being left at 5 HP by a Typhlosion 3 and surviving the Blaze boosted Overheat (God bless those 60 SpD) and due to the judging mechanics in the tie, I ended up walking away with the default win.

I'll upload the video of the loss tomorrow, it was a complete shitfest so you'll hear me cussing considering that I hate Lapras with the burning passion of 1000 suns. I'll see if I give Pyramid or Arena a run before dedicating some thoughts before moving to Restricted Sparring which looks really cool in Sw/Sh despite not touching my Sword game in weeks lol.

Last edited:
I'm going to upload a replay of the Anabel match. It's basically an auto win most times. Force the rest on Raikou and then boost up to +6 to ko Latios and Snorlax.
https://kapwi.ng/c/kkh57egn

Streak ended at 322. Lost on my 323rd match to Scizor with SD, Silver-wind, Steel-wing and light screen. I probably should have attacked with Suicune earlier, but clearly I overlooked Scizor as a threat. If that omniboost didn't kick in, I would have been fine. Suicune at +2 without the light screen would have 2koed the Scizor and I should have clicked surf instead of sub after the omniboost. Kinda brain farted there, but I was hoping that it was a baton pass set or that it would use a non attacking move. Anyways, my team struggles with boosters that I can't ko in 2 hits. Anyways, proud of this team. Lacking a phazer has lead to both of my streaks in the Battle Tower in the 300s ending.
https://kapwi.ng/c/hUPRm3QY

Side note: I've earned 14,000 Battle points total. Haha. Such a crazy amount, but you can only have 9999 at a time. Thought it would be cool to note.
Well this answers something I have always wondered if BP had a cap now I know haha, the other thing I have always wondered is if battle tower has a physical limit you can reach, not that it would be humanly possible to achieve, but is there a cap on how many 9s can be recorded in game?

At least since XY, and probably going all the way back to the beginning of battle tower streaks, the largest value the game will store there is 9999. If you somehow get that far, the next battle will be introduced as #9999 again, and no matter how often you win it, you'll never make any progress except perhaps in the BP department if there's still room in your wallet for those.

Ah yes, the 4th gen factory is the only facility I have not gotten a gold symbol in yet, but I'll get to it someday. I know someone who has over 4000 BP just from playing the factory and still has not gotten gold. Getting gold without RNG manipulation is quite the challenge, so best of luck and I hope to see a video if you are successful!
After I finally got it after 4 years on and off I had over 6800 BP XD

Hello everyone, I am looking mainly for help making a battle tower team. I probably should just copy a team that fits what I am looking for but nowadays it seems everyone has switched to defensive, stall-y and SLOWWW paced teams, so a lot of those teams were made back before everyone became so knowledgable.

I don't mind at all using a team with say, blissey and perish-gengar BUT I would like to have a super offensive lead to blow past a good portion of opponents with the stall mons only coming in if needed.

Here is a list of some of the leads I would love to use, I really don't mind if the other two pokemon are super defensive as long as they can truely support the offensive lead:

List:

Latios @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 12 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpA / 12 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dragon Claw
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

Tauros (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Return
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Starmie @ Lum Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Or some other offensive lead. I use Starmie in gen IV tower and I have seen it called a poor mans lati SO I am probably leaning more toward tauros and lati. I actually really like minimize blissey and sub protect/rest suicune aswell as perish gengar. If anyone wants to help me workshop a team here that would be really awesome :D

Hello everyone, I am looking mainly for help making a battle tower team. I probably should just copy a team that fits what I am looking for but nowadays it seems everyone has switched to defensive, stall-y and SLOWWW paced teams, so a lot of those teams were made back before everyone became so knowledgable.

I don't mind at all using a team with say, blissey and perish-gengar BUT I would like to have a super offensive lead to blow past a good portion of opponents with the stall mons only coming in if needed.

Here is a list of some of the leads I would love to use, I really don't mind if the other two pokemon are super defensive as long as they can truely support the offensive lead:

List:

Latios @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 12 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpA / 12 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dragon Claw
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

Tauros (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Return
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Starmie @ Lum Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Or some other offensive lead. I use Starmie in gen IV tower and I have seen it called a poor mans lati SO I am probably leaning more toward tauros and lati. I actually really like minimize blissey and sub protect/rest suicune aswell as perish gengar. If anyone wants to help me workshop a team here that would be really awesome :D
Latios is definitely the superior choice over Starmie, but Starmie can have moderate success when paired with a Pokemon like Salamence to give you an idea. My only suggestion is not to use Timid Starmie. Base neutral 100 SpA is bang average and it fails to even guarantee the OHKO on 252 HP Armaldo. Modest is a 100% more viable alternative considering that the extra boost in Special Attack allows you to kill more Pokemon and its speed tier is still good enough to outpace plenty of threats in Gen 3.

Posting a little update about the monotype challenge. Haven't completed it so far, mainly because Steel, Flying and Bug kept sucking a bit too much. The best I got so far is 88 wins, not on record. So I revised my strategies and made the following changes to the whole setup:

Mono Bug was changed to Trick Volbeat, setup Ninjask and a Struggle-eating Armaldo who sets up with Swords Dance;
Mono Steel was changed to Cripple Lead Registeel, Torment Setup Mawile and a Metagross who sweeps with a passed SD and Agility;
Mono Flying was reverted back to the CORONABAT team and a REALLY bulky Gyarados who sets up on Tormented foes. Gligar solves problems such as Electric-types, Blaziken (Tpunch/RS/Overheat) and Pokémon who still beat Gyarados at +6 (e.g. Aggron and some Regirock variants).

Will post an upcoming date for the second serious attempt. If you're interested in team details, please let me know!

Posting a little update about the monotype challenge. Haven't completed it so far, mainly because Steel, Flying and Bug kept sucking a bit too much. The best I got so far is 88 wins, not on record. So I revised my strategies and made the following changes to the whole setup:

Mono Bug was changed to Trick Volbeat, setup Ninjask and a Struggle-eating Armaldo who sets up with Swords Dance;
Mono Steel was changed to Cripple Lead Registeel, Torment Setup Mawile and a Metagross who sweeps with a passed SD and Agility;
Mono Flying was reverted back to the CORONABAT team and a REALLY bulky Gyarados who sets up on Tormented foes. Gligar solves problems such as Electric-types, Blaziken (Tpunch/RS/Overheat) and Pokémon who still beat Gyarados at +6 (e.g. Aggron and some Regirock variants).

Will post an upcoming date for the second serious attempt. If you're interested in team details, please let me know!
Please do so! It's always great to read more about your creative team mono-type set-ups!

Can you get all gold symbols without ever worrying about IVs?
It makes it much easier if you breed for decent IVs, but you definitely don’t need flawless Pokémon or anything close. I got all gold symbols with ‘relatively superior’ Pokémon, so aiming for IVs of around 20-25 for most relevant stats is probably a good idea.

Having said that, I used goodstuffs casual teams rather than a specific strategy (e.g. debuff lead with setup sweepers), so I probably needed higher stats than you would with more carefully crafted teams.

In terms of specific facilities, I found that the easier/more survival-y ones (Dome, Pike, Pyramid) punish you less for lower stats than the ones with more complicated gimmicks and/or longer streaks of just battles (Arena, Palace, Tower).

For example, even if it has below-average IVs, an all-out attacking Starmie can still pretty much get you through the Symbol battles in the Battle Pike by itself, while also handling the rest of the facility well thanks to Natural Cure. In the Dome you can pretty reliably predict what your opponent’s gonna bring and counter-team them, so flawless stats don’t matter as much there either.

Overall, I’d say it’s definitely possible to get every symbol without worrying about IVs, but you’d likely end up with enough extra failed attempts that it would’ve been faster just to do a few hours of breeding/soft-resetting to get semi-decent IVs. I’m sure that almost all of my Gold Symbol streaks had battles where one of my Pokémon crucially survived with 1 or 2 HP or just barely 2HKO’d a scary opponent thanks to above-average IVs. The initial time investment of breeding saves you time and frustration in the long run.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

The last few months I have invested some time into the RNG-manipulation department with some pretty solid results and I am thinking of trying to hit some records with my new Pokemons. The facilities that I am looking at are the Dome and the Arena. I want to try new stuff and see how they go. Since the whole process (RNG-abusing/breeding/etc) is quite daunting I have been theorycrafting some teams considering what I have/ what is available to me in my cartridge games and trying to improvise! I would like to hear your thoughts on the teams and maybe propose something that can make them better.

Slaking @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk. / 252 Spe.
-Double Edge
-Earthquake
-Shadow Ball
-Hyper Beam

Milotic @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def. / 4 Sp.Atk.
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover

Latias @ Lum Berry
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk. / 252 Spe.
-Dragon Claw
-Substitute
-Recover
-Calm Mind

Explanation: Slaking is the king of the Dome and my starting point for making this team. Since I am playing in cartridge and I have no access to a good Suicune I was trying to find a solid water Pokemon for my squad. Milotic feels like the second best water Pokemon availiable. My main concern is that my team so far (Slaking/Milotic) is prone to HAX and thus I'm kinda rooting for a Sub Latias to handle those pesky threats, still not sure though. Any comments or thoughts?

Arena feels like the facility with the most potential to inovate. My main issue with the facility is that setting up with just 3 turns is extremely hard since you sometimes you need multiple set ups. So I was trying to think of a team that with one turn of set up it could starting doing damage and I though of a rain dance team. The idea is set up rain dance with a bulky Pokemon then explode and have 4 turns to do as much damage as possible. Of the availiable Swift Swim Pokemon Kingdra looks the most promising, accompanied by a bulky steel type like Registeel (maybe Metagross/Steelix) that has access to both Rain Dance and Explosion. The team is obviously incomplete and I would really like some feedback on this but my initial though was something like this:

(?) ---> means I am unsure about this area!

Latios @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk. / 252 Spe.
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Psyhic
-Thunderbolt

Registeel @ Bright Powder
Nature: (?)
EVs: (?)
-Rain Dance
-Explosion
-Thunderbolt (?)
-Toxic (?)

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Substitute
-Hidden Power Grass/Electric (?)

As I said I need some info for this team. The idea is have a Dragon/Steel/Dragon core that cancel out each other weaknesses. Latios cleans a large amount of the metagame. He does struggle against bulky water types/ steels and HAX. Registeel has no problem tanking the steels he can finish of weakened waters and most importantly can set up Rain Dance and exit via Explosion in order to help Kingdra sweep. IB/Surf are mandatory for Kingdra, Sub is here to avoid unwanted statuses/HAX and tanking Explosions and HP Grass/Electric in order to have a way to touch Waters that otherwise would Judge you out.

I would really like to hear your ideas/corrections and improvements on the teams. Feel free to comment!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

The last few months I have invested some time into the RNG-manipulation department with some pretty solid results and I am thinking of trying to hit some records with my new Pokemons. The facilities that I am looking at are the Dome and the Arena. I want to try new stuff and see how they go. Since the whole process (RNG-abusing/breeding/etc) is quite daunting I have been theorycrafting some teams considering what I have/ what is available to me in my cartridge games and trying to improvise! I would like to hear your thoughts on the teams and maybe propose something that can make them better.

Slaking @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk. / 252 Spe.
-Double Edge
-Earthquake
-Shadow Ball
-Hyper Beam

Milotic @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def. / 4 Sp.Atk.
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover

Latias @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk. / 252 Spe.
-Dragon Claw
-Substitute
-Recover
-Calm Mind

Explanation: Slaking is the king of the Dome and my starting point for making this team. Since I am playing in cartridge and I have no access to a good Suicune I was trying to find a solid water Pokemon for my squad. Milotic feels like the second best water Pokemon availiable. My main concern is that my team so far (Slaking/Milotic) is prone to HAX and thus I'm kinda rooting for a Sub Latias to handle those pesky threats, still not sure though. Any comments or thoughts?

Arena feels like the facility with the most potential to inovate. My main issue with the facility is that setting up with just 3 turns is extremely hard since you sometimes you need multiple set ups. So I was trying to think of a team that with one turn of set up it could starting doing damage and I though of a rain dance team. The idea is set up rain dance with a bulky Pokemon then explode and have 4 turns to do as much damage as possible. Of the availiable Swift Swim Pokemon Kingdra looks the most promising, accompanied by a bulky steel type like Registeel (maybe Metagross/Steelix) that has access to both Rain Dance and Explosion. The team is obviously incomplete and I would really like some feedback on this but my initial though was something like this:

Latios @ Lum Berry
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Psyhic
-Thunderbolt

-Rain Dance
-Explosion
-Thunderbolt (?)
-Toxic (?)

Kingdra @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Sp.Def
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Substitute

As I said I need some info for this team. The idea is have a Dragon/Steel/Dragon core that cancel out each other weaknesses. Latios cleans a large amount of the metagame. He does struggle against bulky water types/ steels and HAX. Registeel has no problem tanking the steels he can finish of weakened waters and most importantly can set up Rain Dance and exit via Explosion in order to help Kingdra sweep. IB/Surf are mandatory for Kingdra, Sub is here to avoid unwanted statuses/HAX and tanking Explosions and HP Grass/Electric in order to have a way to touch Waters that otherwise would Judge you out.

I would really like to hear your ideas/corrections and improvements on the teams. Feel free to comment!
Thank you!
We should be able to innovate in the arena, it's very restrictive and punishing though so most new ideas will fail without lots of tuning . I love the idea of rain dance setting up the next pokemon, especially with explosion in case you want to end the set with more turns of rain. The very interesting thing about swift swim is if you time dive on the last turn of rain, you can be faster the first turn and slower the second turn so that your opponent misses both turns and loses on skill (and heal with leftovers). Whether dodging can be a useful strategy and have it's weaknesses covered needs more exploration. I worry there isn't enough spread in the moves you have. Sure you have explosion but what if they hax you with blissey and follow up with snorlax. Several trainers have "themes" so their pokemon with have overlapping strengths and weaknesses, explosion is actually a useful catchall but only in combination with something else to back it up because it can only take out 1 threat when there will often be 2 of the same type of threat on a team. Toxic is not optimal. It doesn't count as attacking for mind, ony has 90% accuracy for skill, and has a really low hard cap on the amount of damage it can do for body. For registeel aerial ace or ancient power might actually be better than toxic even if it does very little damage, type effectiveness can help you win skill and combined with a slow rest, even a little amount of damage will win you body. Also you don't have any way to beat shedninja. You could also consider salamence/dragonite over latios, it can still sweep several types of teams but have less overlap with thunderbolt registeel and kingdra. As for kingdra I think it's moveset deserves a lot of thought and will have a big effect on determining what the team needs. Hidden power is really interesting here because of kingdra's lack of weaknesses, even if it does very little damage you could use it to win skill against something defensive. That said there really aren't that many things to worry about besides blissey and dusclops, so the choice of electric seems obvious so you can use Kingdra as anchor that hopefully reverse sweep water type trainers and use the first two pokemon to beat the trainers Kingdra can't deal with. And since Kingdra will be dealing with the water type trainers you will just have to rely on substitute helping you against ohko moves (which is actually probably the non-sweeping-anti-shearcold-plan that requires the least amount of compromise for the best chances in the arena since you can't switch to pokemon with immunities) as long as they miss one of the three ohko moves then you can fire off a HP electric and win skill and body (though the race for body looks really close against walrein 3).

Latios @ Lum Berry
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Psyhic
-Thunderbolt

-Rain Dance
-Explosion
-Thunderbolt (?)
-Toxic (?)

Kingdra @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Substitute

Thank you!
Wouldn't use Rain at all on the Battle Arena. The moment you encounter Shedinja, it is GG.

Wouldn't trust a 90% accurate move when you only have 3 turns to kill an opponent. Very niche IMO
It's definitely niche, but Kingdra's movepool is so shallow to begin with in Gen 3 that you can afford to run Toxic on it. The fact that Greta uses a Shedninja in battle 1 means you are guaranteed to see one, so you'll need to have a way around it regardless. Nevertheless, I don't like rain in Gen 3 as Kindra and Ludicolo being the only viable abusers and having to use a turn to set up Rain Dance. It's probably a decent playstyle in doubles, as you can spam surf as a spread move, aren't limited to just 3 turns and you have teammates to help patch up weaknesses to special tanks and grass types.
Anyways, I found Arena to be the most unforgiving facility after Factory. 3 turns are just too short for most teams to succeed besides hyper offense and if you get haxed, you basically auto lose.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)