Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Adedede I really enjoy watching your commented replays and following your thought-process, sadly I wasn't able to catch the stream, is there a recording available somewhere?
submenceisop Very cool team, it has some similarities to what I'm currently testing. I would have loved if you somehow made paraflinch Dunsparce work, but I guess it's just not possible.

Regarding the challenge, from the general feedback I'm getting and from my own testing, I feel like two weeks may have been a bit too much time. So I propose to move the deadline to this Friday, 4th December, 10:25 PM GMT. This has the added benefit that the testing period for the voters falls on a weekend. However, I do know that moving a deadline to an earlier date can be a bad idea, so if there is even a single person that feels like they need more time, they can just say so until Thursday and we will keep the original deadline. I hope that works for everyone.

Last edited:
Adedede I really enjoy watching your commented replays and following your thought-process, sadly I wasn't able to catch the stream, is there a recording available somewhere?
submenceisop Very cool team, it has some similarities to what I'm currently testing. I would have loved if you somehow made paraflinch Dunsparce work, but I guess it's just not possible.

Regarding the challenge, from the general feedback I'm getting and from my own testing, I feel like two weeks may have been a bit too much time. So I propose to move the deadline to this Friday, 4th December, 10:25 PM GMT. This has the added benefit that the testing period for the voters falls on a weekend. However, I do know that moving a deadline to an earlier date can be a bad idea, so if there is even a single person that feels like they need more time, they can just say so until Thursday and we will keep the original deadline. I hope that works for everyone.
I've made a nu mono for this challenge using few mons I could quickly train. Cool challenge idea, keen to see if I get any luck and other's teams. I'll work on streaks as quickly as I can from now till the 4th but if some better streak is achieved after I can always update and the streak at whatever date people prefer could be used.

First of all, I have to admit this challenge really changed my way of thinking about stats. While teambuilding, I frequently caught myself thinking “oh it an Attack stat of 60, that’s pretty good”, or “oh it actually has enough speed to get to 300 with Salac Berry”. Everything becomes relative. The stats are so bad and this challenge is extremely unfair and impossible AFAIK. Here’s some attempts I made before resorting to the strategy I found most likely to achieve some wins in the higher rounds. I won't discuss every teams' pros and cons, I think you perfectly know how they play out on average (i.e. how they lose quickly). Anyway, it might give other players some ideas to improve on as well.

First attempt: “powerhouses”

Even though there’s no real powerhouses in the tier, there’s still some Pokémon available that have above-average stats and might be able to overpower the opponent using a combination of coverage, enough staying power to use at least two moves, STAB and sometimes Explosion to get or keep the advantage. Examples are Swalot, Glalie, Wailord, Flareon, Whiscash and Sudowoodo. Volt Tackle/HP[ice]/Encore/Protect (or Twave) Pikachu is a good glass cannon in this tier, also hitting 300 Speed easily. Some ideas I tried were

Salac Glalie + (Rest/Selfdestruct SpD) Wailord + Mixed Whiscash

Quick Claw Overheat Torkoal + (SD + Fissure) Wailord + Pain Split Swalot

Glalie + Swalot + Salac/Flail Flareon

Salac Rain Dance + SD Wailord + Huntail + Pikachu

But these kind of lineups really don't cut it -- you'll lose one in three battles on average in my experience. You simply don't have the stats to match the opponent's, even though these kind of teams would be a lot better if you could win on a draw. Not to mention Quick Claw destroys streaks even more than usual, because almost everything gets OHKOed by them.

Second attempt: Fake Out + semi-invulnerable tricky stuff

There's some allright Pokémon to do this with, I already saw a Wailord / Haunter / Meowth team, but we all know these strategies are shaky at best. My personal lineups of these kind were as follows:

Light Ball Pikachu or Sunny Beam CASTFORM + Sunny Day Bellossom/Tangela + Nuzleaf (Encoring EQ's is nice)

Dunsparce + Sableye + Pikachu

Salac RD Wailord + Lombre + Huntail

Third attempt: Evasion- or parahax in combination with semi-invulnerability

In the Arena, one miss can spell doom for the opponent quickly, especially if you combine this with Protect and a semi-invulnerability move. I tried Pidgeot for a combination of speed and the best bulk available:

Yawn/Twave utility Dunsparce + Protect/MudSlap/Fly/HP[Fire] Pidgeot @ Leftovers + Pikachu

There's a lot of ways to try and optimize something like this, maybe someone else can do it more justice.

Fourth attempt: Slow subbing into Salac Endeavor while first opponent dies to Curse damage

This is the most original of the things I tried IMO:

Curse/Torment/Memento/Protect Duskull + Sub/Endeavor/Surf/(Seismic Toss or a filler that beats Blissey or Mud Shot for Speed cutting) Marshtomp + EndureLiechi Reversal Yanma or some other semi-dependable finisher/sweeper

The funny thing about this team is that Curse maximes Marshtomp's chances of getting into Salac range WITH A SUB UP because the first opponent falls to Curse. This way you can just spam Substitute while not having to worry about losing Marshtomp to the judge before you can sweep. With a decent matchup, Marshtomp then KOs the second Pokémon (outspeeds everything up to Gengar, which it 2HKOes with Surf using appropriate investment, after Salac) and greatly dents the third. Yanma is a good finisher because it will outspeed everything after Speed Boost, has a decently beefed Reversal after Liechi and doesn't miss with Aerial Ace. A good filler finisher is Silver Wind because it can give another Atk boost, which Yanma might need to KO the last Pokémon with Reversal if needed. Alternatively, you can opt for Signal Beam which is 25% stronger and might confuse.

Fifth attempt: Yawn + Belly Drum

First I used

Vigoroth + Charmeleon + Pikachu

Which had reasonable results, getting through a streak occasionally (whereas all other teams needed to be very lucky to do so). This is mainly because STAB Blaze Overheat is still pretty strong and OHKOs the likes of Gengar and Metagross easily. You're stuck against Rock-types though, especially against Aerodactyl because it outspeeds Pikachu (and whatnot in NU). Also, the impossibility of setting up against Lum Berry holders that outspeed and 2HKO Vigoroth is deadly (Starmie, Raikou, Espeon, Sceptile to an extent). So I eventually went with Dunsparce over Vigoroth, Poliwhirl over Charmeleon and a filler, arriving at my final team to submit for the challenge.

Battle Arena NU Challenge (Lv. 50) -- Final team

1606953068064.png
1606953084509.png
1606953095122.png

Dunsparce @ [No Item]
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 36 Def / 132 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Yawn
- Thief
- Rock Smash
- Counter

You’d expect Dunsparce to run a hax set as usual (something like TWave, Headbutt, Rock Slide and Body Slam is quite appealing, but not very effective in the long run). On the other hand, it’s one of the bulkiest Yawn users out there (Swalot being bulkier but at the cost of terrible typing, and Sealeo is even worse). Torkoal comes to mind as well, but it can’t have the special bulk Dunsparce has.

If I can’t be 2HKOed, I use Thief first and Yawn second. Against opponents that are not OHKOed by Poliwhirl after Belly Drum, use Rock Smash: usually Dunsparce will live long enough to tell the tale against these opponents (e.g. bulky Grass-types and bulky Waters). Rock Smash may also be used to win a judgement if necessary, or against Shuckle for example. Note that Serene Grace guarantees the Defense drop. Counter is for Flygon and Claydol mainly; Poliwhirl can’t really touch it.

Dunsparce has the bulk to avoid being 2HKOed by high SpA Lum Berry Pokémon such as Starmie, Espeon and Raikou, something Vigoroth can’t accomplish. But it comes at a cost: the slow Dunsparce will get haxed by confusion or something eventually. It’s a hax magnet, which is what it stands for but sadly it’s the other way around here. It survives Heracross’ Brick Break as well with these EVs, and the Speed allows it to outspeed Machamp and friends (before getting obliterated by Cross Chop).

Avoid the tie at all costs; you want to lose the judgement if it comes to that because otherwise you send in Poliwhirl against a non-Yawned opponent.

Poliwhirl @ Salac Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 Def / 8 SpD / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Return
- Earthquake

It’s either Charmeleon or this; forget about stuff like Clefairy, Makuhita and Marill. One basestat higher Attack than Charmeleon doesn’t make the difference, although it probably helps with some rolls. It surprised me how hard 65 Base Attack hits after Belly Drum; this thing hits way more KO’s than I first expected, making it somewhat viable. The real reasons to choose Poliwrath is its higher Speed, Water Absorb being a godsend (the opponent can use Surf before they ‘know’ you have it, especially handy because bulky waters tend to survive a hit sometimes), and probably most importantly, access to Earthquake. HP[Rock] is perfect against Flying-types, Gengar and other bulky stuff like Regice, but Return lets it OHKO more Lati@s sets and bulky Grass-types for example. In my experience, HP[Rock] is the best because it better specifies the Pokémon that survive Poliwhirl’s assaults, making the choice for the third Pokémon a little more manageable.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Tackle
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Teeter Dance

The definition of a glass cannon, Pikachu hits the hardest in all of NU without boosts, and it has a great Speed tier. Almost every move OHKOs it however, so this is added as a revenge killer and to maximize the chances of turning a losing fight into a winning one by sheer matchup luck.

It makes sense type-wise: the most dangerous opponents Poliwhirl struggles to OHKO are Breloom, Claydol, Latias and bulky waters, and Pikachu finishes off all of them. Not much to say here: 20 HP added to maybe survive an extra Volt Tackle recoil. Modest can be used over Timid to make it more likely that Claydol actually dies to Surf after eating a +6 HP[Rock] from Poliwrath, but then Pikachu gets KOed by all those 100 neutral Speeds, which is a bad trade IMO.

The filler Teeter Dance has the greatest probability of cheesing through an unkillable opponent such as Swampert or Registeel, but against those kind of Pokémon you kind of lose anyway. Your luck might be better against Blissey, for example.

As always, here is a sample streak! (will be a link to YT)

The results of this team vary (as I expect from all candidate NU teams), but from the 50 streaks I played I got to the second Greta battle 7 times (sounds bad but I think it’s a good representation of how terribly fast you lose against one bad matchup, QC or Brightpowder activation!). The highest streak was 62; lost against the last trainer of the ninth round. Opponent Latios survived HP[Rock] and then Quick Clawed Pikachu to its rightful place. I could have lost many times much earlier, but somehow cheesed through (even Teeter Dance hax a few times).

Last edited:
I reached 21. Togetic swept sceptile and ninjask after a swagger slaking boost. Togetic lost by judging after a hypno used tpunch and hypnosis. Vigoroth set up Amnesia, had higher hp but judge declare a draw. Keckleon won against vileploom but lost against ludiculo.

I enjoyed the challenge and think it would be cool to do more. Anything where you limit the pool of pokemon you can choose would be interesting (maybe limited to a certain route or safari zone).
I wanted to share this more so because it surprised me against a pretty hopeless matchup.
Anyway, here is the nu normal mono I made using the mons (either these or LC like natu) I had on cart.

Togetic, sitrus berry
Naughty, 100 evs in each stat
bad iv's
-Body Slam
-Aerial Ace/Fly
-Wish
-Substitute

Vigoroth, lum berry
Calm, 100 evs in each stat except def which has 90 evs to counter hitmontop's mach punch)
Wonderfully outstanding IV teir
-Seismic Toss
-Amnesia
-Slack off
-Counter

Kecleon, leftovers
Brave, 100 evs in each stat
decent ivs
-Body Slam
-Shadow Ball
-Snatch
-Substitute

Not expecting any long streaks, but it was fun using these underate mons and using mono type (since I had so little mons to choose from).
This team won against a Hitmonchan lead and a Hitmonlee in 3rd place. Hitomonchan used detect twice while Togetic used wish then aa then body slam. I won mind and skill. Next was Quilalva (not a high streak ik), I win the judge somehow. Next Hitmonlee. Vigoroth counters brick break and wins.

Togetic is awesome. 60% chance to paralyze with body slam, aerial ace helps with evasian boosters, although fly may be a better choice. Wish and sub are an excellent combo which together with body slam paralysis, help Togetic win body. Parilising is key for helping Vigoroth.
Vigoroth's set was the best I could come up with using a random good IV calm Slakoth I hatched. It's main purpose is to counter physical hits while Keckleon counters special. Both Togetic and Vigoroth have recovery which helps a ton in arena. Haven't tried yawn yet. Anyway counter wins against some physical hitters, slack off recovers, Amnesia helps set up when opponent can't be hit. Seismic toss does consistent damage to all types but ghost.
Keckleon can snatch the opponent's boosting moves, spam Body Slam, set up sub and hit ghosts.

Last edited:
Alright, I guess it's time for me to post my team as well. I'm very impressed by the submissions thus far and I already consider the first challenge a success!

I'll get straight into my team:

Gastly @ Salac Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Destiny Bond
- Endure
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
  • This is here to trade (at least) one for one with the opponents lead.
  • I use Gastly over Haunter since the lower bulk makes it so that almost every opponent has a move that can kill, which makes them very predictable as they will only go for that.
  • If Gastly outspeeds them you go for Destiny Bond, otherwise Endure -> Destiny Bond. If you're not sure that Gastly outspeeds you can just click Endure first for good measure.
  • If they don't have a move that can kill it, it usually means that they can't touch it at all, which means that Gastly easily wins by just repeatedly attacking.
  • If you're not sure if they have an attack that hits (and kills) there's no harm in just going for Destiny Bond first for safety.
  • There are some exceptions to this like most Grass/Poison types which do about 30-40% with their moves while getting 2hkod by Psychic in return. Here you need to go for Psychic immediately to kill them first. Another exception are Shuckle, Chansey and the early Blissey sets, where you can just repeatedly click Thunderbolt and probably win the judging.
  • Of course, if Gastly can OHKO the opposing mon with Psychic/Thunderbolt, you can just click the respective move. This happens quite often, as Gastlys hits surprisingly strong.
  • Against some mons (I think only Fearow and Dodrio) you need to first Endure to activate Salac and outspeed and then go for Thunderbolt.
  • Since Gastly is immune to all forms of priority in Gen 3, you are guarenteed to get off a move after the Salac boost.
  • The only exception to this is lead Ninjask, but that gets ko'd by Glalies Ice Beam anyway, so not too much of a threat.

Glalie @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rain Dance
- Explosion
- Ice Beam
- Light Screen
  • Glalies job is to set up Rain Dance and Light Screen for Huntail to win against the opponents last Pokemon and then trying to take down something with Explosion.
  • Against most things you have enough time to set up Rain Dance and Light Screen (Rain Dance first, except against Water types and strong special attackers that are not Fire types) and then go for Explosion, so I'll go through the exceptions:
  • Strong Fighting types, Armaldo, Scizor and some Ursaring, Absol and Steelix sets can KO Glalie, so you just click Rain Dance and hope that Huntail can handle the rest (which it can most of the time).
  • Everything that is weak to Ice gets at most 2hkod by Ice Beam and can't kill Glalie in return so you just click Ice Beam twice and win.
  • Against Double Team Spammers that can threaten Huntail (Snorlax and Blissey) you might have to Explode before they acquire too many evasion boosts.
  • Lum Berry often gives you a free turn.
  • If it's the third turn and the opponent hasn't used any damage dealing move yet, just click Ice Beam since chances are they won't deal any damage in the third turn either and you win the judging and can then explode on the last mon.
  • Explosion is strong enough to either kill or weaken everything enough for Huntail to one-shot.
  • Be aware of Brick Break and Damp users.

Huntail @ Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 140 HP / 248 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Crunch
- Rain Dance
  • Light Screen support makes Huntail win all the match-ups it would normally lose in the rain (Sceptile, Milotic, Ampharos, Raikou, ...). I'm pretty sure that outside of hax and unexpected Mirror Coats there is nothing Huntail can't beat one on one with Rain and Light Screen up.
  • I run HP Grass over Electric since Quagsire and Lanturn are way bigger threats than Gyarados or Mantine.
  • Only use something else than Surf in the Rain if it is resisted and the alternative hits super effectively.
  • If for some reason Glalie can't set up Rain Dance (almost never happens), there's still a good chance you can win by setting up Rain Dance with Huntail and proceeding from there.
  • In the Greta Silver round, you have to replace Hidden Power with Crunch to have something to hit Shedinja with. The win is almost (with no major hax) guaranteed by going Destiny Bond against Heracross, Explosion against Umbreon and Crunch against Shedinja.
  • Mystic Water is the only detail in this team that I'm not sure about, since it is very difficult to assess it's effectiveness on achieving KO's with the imperfect IV's you face before the Greta Gold battle; some alternatives that might be better are Leftovers or Chesto Berry.
The highest streak I achieved with this team was 58 wins, but that was during testing from a save state at 14 wins (but I never lost before that anyway). I reached 50+ wins a few more times but never made it to the Gold symbol, the average streak I got is around 30 wins. Today I tried to record some streaks from the first to the last battle to showcase the team, the highest I got was 50 wins (see video below).
Overall I'm very happy with the performance of the team, basically it only loses against two things:
  1. The opponent has an answer to each of my Pokemon in the right spot of their team: First slot something that Gastly has to immediately Destiny Bond (likely), second slot something that can KO Glalie so that it can only set up Rain Dance (unlikely) and third slot something that Huntail can't beat in the Rain without Light Screen (unlikely). I estimate that such a combination is responsible for about 1/3 of my losses.
  2. The usual Arena/Frontier hax (QC, OHKO moves etc.), which is very difficult to prepare for with an NU team and responsible for about 2/3 of my losses.
I think it's very interesting that Actaeon , Coeur7 and me all tried (or at least considered) each others ideas, but then each decided on a different one as the "reliable" one, but somehow each made it work with similar results.
I'll go deeper into my feedback about the others teams in my voting post, after i thoroughly tested everything.

Last edited:
Great teams everyone! Will test Sunday.

I was told my Pikachu can't be legally obtained, so I changed its moveset to Tbolt, Surf, HP[Ice] and Swagger. Thanks for that. Also, decided Protect was better for Dunsparce over Counter eventually, against a Flygon lead I''ll probably accept losing unless Pika saves the game. Team will be updated in my post and I'll make a different video.

Alright, I guess it's time for me to post my team as well. I'm very impressed by the submissions thus far and I already consider the first challenge a success!

I'll get straight into my team:

Gastly @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Destiny Bond
- Endure
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
  • This is here to trade (at least) one for one with the opponents lead.
  • I use Gastly over Haunter since the lower bulk makes it so that almost every opponent has a move that can kill, which makes them very predictable as they will only go for that.
  • If Gastly outspeeds them you go for Destiny Bond, otherwise Endure -> Destiny Bond. If you're not sure that Gastly outspeeds you can just click Endure first for good measure.
  • If they don't have a move that can kill it, it usually means that they can't touch it at all, which means that Gastly easily wins by just repeatedly attacking.
  • If you're not sure if they have an attack that hits (and kills) there's no harm in just going for Destiny Bond first for safety.
  • There are some exceptions to this like most Grass/Poison types which do about 30-40% with their moves while getting 2hkod by Psychic in return. Here you need to go for Psychic immediately to kill them first. Another exception are Shuckle, Chansey and the early Blissey sets, where you can just repeatedly click Thunderbolt and probably win the judging.
  • Of course, if Gastly can OHKO the opposing mon with Psychic/Thunderbolt, you can just click the respective move. This happens quite often, as Gastlys hits surprisingly strong.
  • Against some mons (I think only Fearow and Dodrio) you need to first Endure to activate Salac and outspeed and then go for Thunderbolt.
  • Since Gastly is immune to all forms of priority in Gen 3, you are guarenteed to get off a move after the Salac boost.
  • The only exception to this is lead Ninjask, but that gets ko'd by Glalies Ice Beam anyway, so not too much of a threat.

Glalie @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rain Dance
- Explosion
- Ice Beam
- Light Screen
  • Glalies job is to set up Rain Dance and Light Screen for Huntail to win against the opponents last Pokemon and then trying to take down something with Explosion.
  • Against most things you have enough time to set up Rain Dance and Light Screen (Rain Dance first, except against Water types and strong special attackers that are not Fire types) and then go for Explosion, so I'll go through the exceptions:
  • Strong Fighting types, Armaldo, Scizor and some Ursaring, Absol and Steelix sets can KO Glalie, so you just click Rain Dance and hope that Huntail can handle the rest (which it can most of the time).
  • Everything that is weak to Ice gets at most 2hkod by Ice Beam and can't kill Glalie in return so you just click Ice Beam twice and win.
  • Against Double Team Spammers that can threaten Huntail (Snorlax and Blissey) you might have to Explode before they acquire too many evasion boosts.
  • Lum Berry often gives you a free turn.
  • If it's the third turn and the opponent hasn't used any damage dealing move yet, just click Ice Beam since chances are they won't deal any damage in the third turn either and you win the judging and can then explode on the last mon.
  • Explosion is strong enough to either kill or weaken everything enough for Huntail to one-shot.
  • Be aware of Brick Break and Damp users.

Huntail @ Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 140 HP / 248 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Crunch
- Rain Dance
  • Light Screen support makes Huntail win all the match-ups it would normally lose in the rain (Sceptile, Milotic, Ampharos, Raikou, ...). I'm pretty sure that outside of hax and unexpected Mirror Coats there is nothing Huntail can't beat one on one with Rain and Light Screen up.
  • I run HP Grass over Electric since Quagsire and Lanturn are way bigger threats than Gyarados or Mantine.
  • Only use something else than Surf in the Rain if it is resisted and the alternative hits super effectively.
  • If for some reason Glalie can't set up Rain Dance (almost never happens), there's still a good chance you can win by setting up Rain Dance with Huntail and proceeding from there.
  • In the Greta Silver round, you have to replace Hidden Power with Crunch to have something to hit Shedinja with. The win is almost (with no major hax) guaranteed by going Destiny Bond against Heracross, Explosion against Umbreon and Crunch against Shedinja.
  • Mystic Water is the only detail in this team that I'm not sure about, since it is very difficult to assess it's effectiveness on achieving KO's with the imperfect IV's you face before the Greta Gold battle; some alternatives that might be better are Leftovers or Chesto Berry.
The highest streak I achieved with this team was 58 wins, but that was during testing from a save state at 14 wins (but I never lost before that anyway). I reached 50+ wins a few more times but never made it to the Gold symbol, the average streak I got is around 30 wins. Today I tried to record some streaks from the first to the last battle to showcase the team, the highest I got was 50 wins (see video below).
Overall I'm very happy with the performance of the team, basically it only loses against two things:
  1. The opponent has an answer to each of my Pokemon in the right spot of their team: First slot something that Gastly has to immediately Destiny Bond (likely), second slot something that can KO Glalie so that it can only set up Rain Dance (unlikely) and third slot something that Huntail can't beat in the Rain without Light Screen (unlikely). I estimate that such a combination is responsible for about 1/3 of my losses.
  2. The usual Arena/Frontier hax (QC, OHKO moves etc.), which is very difficult to prepare for with an NU team and responsible for about 2/3 of my losses.
I think it's very interesting that Actaeon , Coeur7 and me all tried (or at least considered) each others ideas, but then each decided on a different one as the "reliable" one, but somehow each made it work with similar results.
I'll go deeper into my feedback about the others teams in my voting post, after i thoroughly tested everything.

Before I test, a few questions:
  • I saw HP Electric on Huntail instead of HP Grass in the video. Which is the definitive one? It looked like Electric is really welcome against Gyarados.
  • I might test Cheri Berry on Huntail while I'm at it, since Huntail attracts Electric moves and a paralysis renders both Light Screen and Rain Dance pretty useless. I'd need to make a list of opponents where Mystic Water really matters to determine its importance.

Before I test, a few questions:
  • I saw HP Electric on Huntail instead of HP Grass in the video. Which is the definitive one? It looked like Electric is really welcome against Gyarados.
  • I might test Cheri Berry on Huntail while I'm at it, since Huntail attracts Electric moves and a paralysis renders both Light Screen and Rain Dance pretty useless. I'd need to make a list of opponents where Mystic Water really matters to determine its importance.
HP Grass is the definitive one, the video was recorded a few hours before I posted the team, I changed it after that. While HP Electric is handy against Gyarados, you need HP Grass to stand any chance against Lanturn even with Rain Dance and Light Screen up.

I haven't done the calcs on Mystic Water since I'm not sure how the IVs in Arena work, but from testing I'm pretty sure it helps with the rolls against some scary things that KO Glalie like Ursaring, Machamp and Heracross.

If you're going to test a Berry I would advise for Chesto over Cheri, I know I lose to para hax in the sample streak, but it my experience losing to sleep is much more common.

What about Fly on Pikachu? Does anyone know if that's legal? It's listed on smogon, could be a funny filler move.

What about Fly on Pikachu? Does anyone know if that's legal? It's listed on smogon, could be a funny filler move.
Fly is not legal on the same set as Surf, as it's an event-only move from a different event. If you want to check move legality, a good idea is to build the team on pokemon showdown. There's a "validate" button which will immediately tell you if your sets are legal.

I have been trying to get a streak going without Volt Tackle (and Teeter Dance too), and I realise I needed Volt Tackle quite often. Getting nowhere, best until now was 36. I am starting on my analyses and vote!

Here’s my vote! Just for fun, I provided scores to my own team as well to put it into perspective. I’m now convinced that my strategy is not the best; I guess I must have been pretty lucky in the beginning during tests, because the reason I decided to go with this strategy was based on having a couple of larger streaks. But when I wanted to make a new video with the updated Pikachu, I couldn’t even get to 40 most of the time. the ratings below are not in any particular order, except for the top two.

Kudos to all the teambuilders out here, you did a really fantastic job and the ratings below shouldn’t be taken too literally or precisely. It’s nice to see we all kind of tried to perfectionize a different strategy.

Wtset’s team – 3 points (keywords: balanced, dependable, easy-to-use)

Performance: 5/5
I think this team works as intended, is quite reliable since Glalie survives most moves and rightfully carries Lum Berry. You need to be quite unlucky to lose, which is the best we can get.

Versatility: 4/5
There’s different routes to win between Gastly killing two opponents, variation in using Light Screen or Rain Dance first, Ice Beam to get another win or Explosion, and even Huntail can turn some games around with Rain Dance on its own.

Originality: 4/5
Just trading away your first Pokémon and relying on the last two seems very risky at first, but using Gastly here (instead of Haunter) is a very clever hax-removing measure and not something that many people would think of. Also, I think Light Screen Glalie is very innovative to make Huntail overcome the problems we all met during tests.

Optimization: 4/5

I guess we could make up a Glalie EV set that takes some EVs from Attack while Huntail still kills the remaining Pokémon. This could potentially let Glalie survive more hits. I have the feeling there’s some more optimization to be done, but it probably won’t matter all that much.

Coeur7’s team -- 1 point (keywords: versatile and dynamic)

Performance: 3/5
Straightforward idea, making full use of semi-invulnerability, Fake Out, some type synergy and some of the best basestat spreads our pool of Pokémon can provide. Does what it’s meant to do, but the disappointing basestats of the three Pokémon really leave much to be desired. Against full-IV Electric-types, this team loses quite reliably (I tested it in some higher rounds as well) and the tricks up Pidgeot’s and Dewgong’s sleeves don’t compensate for this basestat disadvantage.

Versatility: 5/5
As with wtset’s team, it’s really nice to have different winning routes, which is this team’s main selling point. It starts off with Pidgeot’s choice of going ‘semi-invulnerable mode’ (including Mud-Slap to an extent), Dewgong using Fake Out or not, the option to either sweep with Pikachu or making use of Substitutes to stall out Perish Song. There’s a lot of strategy in one team, and some losses I had with the team were to blame on my own mistake using Dewgong. The presence of a ‘learning curve’ is a good sign of versatility in a team.

Originality: 3/5
The team doesn’t use anything overly imaginative, although I must say Perish Song was relatively new to me. Most of the time, performance and originality conflict anyway, so don’t take this too seriously.

Pretty standard here, I’d like to see a Fighting-type/Electric-type Dewgong analysis on why max HP is optimal in your opinion. I think Electrics are more important to cover with Pikachu in the back and Dewgong’s Speed tier.

My own team (keywords: sweep-based, one-dimensional, matchup-reliant)

If it works as intended it’s fast, straightforward and quite foolproof, but the dependence on setting up and the opponent not waking up on turn 2 makes it shaky at best. Pikachu is needed to seal the game too often; which eventually means you lose. Also, Dunsparce gets haxed way too often, and if things go south Poliwhirl is quite useless.

Versatility: 1/5
As said, this team really only works if the Yawn strategy works, otherwise you need to be very lucky to land a Belly Drum (quite doable against bulky waters for example) or bring opponents into Pikachu KO range with an unboosted Poliwhirl and beat the third Pokémon with Pikachu as well. Give Poliwhirl max Speed instead of what I posted earlier.

Basically it’s the already shaky OU strategy with NU Pokémon; bad news. Dunsparce surprised me as a Yawn setter instead of the usual hax set, but I spent most of my creativity in other teams like Curse Duskull + Marshtomp. At least when this team wins, it’s usually a pretty “hard win” which doesn’t need the judge. At least putting Rock Smash to good use at last was pretty original IMO.

After having tried numerous EV spreads and Pokémon to optimize the Belly Drum strategy for NU, I can say with good certainty this is the way to go. The only thing that varies is the last Pokémon, and not all problems can be solved by any of them.

N1c69’s team

I can’t really rate this because it has the additional mono Normal restriction. Wasn’t the challenge hard enough already? Anyway, even in the Normal department I think Pidgeot and/or Dunsparce, possibly also Vigoroth, are almost mandatory, unless you insist on using Serene Grace as the main strategy Trick Furret comes to mind as well.

isoNkei’s team (keywords: gimmicky, comeback problems)

Trading and winning with Fake Out seems good, but then it turns out Meowth can’t even pull it off against that many opponents which severely reduces the effectiveness. This team would be much better if Persian, Sneasel or even Jynx could be used. Haunter does the job pretty well, although some attacking moves as with wtset’s team probably wouldn’t hurt

Versatility: 2/5
Still more versatile than Belly Drum, but also a bit more awkward in scenarios where Wailord can’t trade, as there’s not really a way to ‘come back’ if you’re behind.

It’s nice to see some gimmicks here, although I think weather + Nuzleaf or Lombre can pull these things off better because they actually outspeed things. Probs for using Wailord as an exploding tank, it can probably get it off against the most opponent of the whole NU tier and outspeeds important stuff that resists Explosion.

Optimization: 3/5
I think some work can improve the current strategy. For example, getting rid of Choice Band might enable Wailord to get through two opponents in more battles. Also its spread can be made slightly more effective IMO regarding Speed. For example, 8 HP / 252 SpD with a +SpD Nature guarantees it survives all moves in the game barring crits / OHKOs. Gastly over Haunter, although counterintuitive, indeed looks like it’s the best choice if you’re out to trade anyway, but in this team Haunter seems fine to possibly finish off more Pokémon that just won against Wailord, or even straight up win a matchup.

submenceisop’s team (keywords: powerhouse)

The typical powerhouse team. Really bad against stuff like Regirock, but otherwise puts up at least a fair fight against nearly every lineup (although nothing is guaranteed). Uses Huntail as well, just like wtset, but in wtset’s team Huntail is a much more threatening force because of Light Screen. An alteration of bringing Torkoal to the front sounds plausible so you can run Glalie + Huntail as well (almost typed “HAUNTAIL” lol), but from submenceisop’s experience Glalie is a much better lead. IMO, both versions are about equally good; Torkoal functions well with Quick Claw, even in the lead spot from what I've seen.

Versatility: 3/5
It’s not as versatile as e.g. Coeur7’s team, but still offers some different ways to reach your win and use the team in various ways. That’s what you get when using Pokémon with not-so-bad stats.

Originality: 2/5
Not much to say here, you have Explosions and Rain Dance Huntail and that’s a decent team. No blistering strategies found here, and they’re not needed either.

Very well worked out, I like the spreads, although maybe Glalie and Huntail can be optimized in various ways still once the greatest weaknesses to the team are known.

I think that's it. This was a nice challenge, and won by its creator as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Here’s my vote! Just for fun, I provided scores to my own team as well to put it into perspective. I’m now convinced that my strategy is not the best; I guess I must have been pretty lucky in the beginning during tests, because the reason I decided to go with this strategy was based on having a couple of larger streaks. But when I wanted to make a new video with the updated Pikachu, I couldn’t even get to 40 most of the time. the ratings below are not in any particular order, except for the top two.

Kudos to all the teambuilders out here, you did a really fantastic job and the ratings below shouldn’t be taken too literally or precisely. It’s nice to see we all kind of tried to perfectionize a different strategy.

Wtset’s team – 3 points (keywords: balanced, dependable, easy-to-use)

Performance: 5/5
I think this team works as intended, is quite reliable since Glalie survives most moves and rightfully carries Lum Berry. You need to be quite unlucky to lose, which is the best we can get.

Versatility: 4/5
There’s different routes to win between Gastly killing two opponents, variation in using Light Screen or Rain Dance first, Ice Beam to get another win or Explosion, and even Huntail can turn some games around with Rain Dance on its own.

Originality: 4/5
Just trading away your first Pokémon and relying on the last two seems very risky at first, but using Gastly here (instead of Haunter) is a very clever hax-removing measure and not something that many people would think of. Also, I think Light Screen Glalie is very innovative to make Huntail overcome the problems we all met during tests.

I guess we could make up a Glalie EV set that takes some EVs from Attack while Huntail still kills the remaining Pokémon. This could potentially let Glalie survive more hits. I have the feeling there’s some more optimization to be done, but it probably won’t matter all that much.

Coeur7’s team -- 1 point (keywords: versatile and dynamic)

Straightforward idea, making full use of semi-invulnerability, Fake Out, some type synergy and some of the best basestat spreads our pool of Pokémon can provide. Does what it’s meant to do, but the disappointing basestats of the three Pokémon really leave much to be desired. Against full-IV Electric-types, this team loses quite reliably (I tested it in some higher rounds as well) and the tricks up Pidgeot’s and Dewgong’s sleeves don’t compensate for this basestat disadvantage.

Versatility: 5/5
As with wtset’s team, it’s really nice to have different winning routes, which is this team’s main selling point. It starts off with Pidgeot’s choice of going ‘semi-invulnerable mode’ (including Mud-Slap to an extent), Dewgong using Fake Out or not, the option to either sweep with Pikachu or making use of Substitutes to stall out Perish Song. There’s a lot of strategy in one team, and some losses I had with the team were to blame on my own mistake using Dewgong. The presence of a ‘learning curve’ is a good sign of versatility in a team.

The team doesn’t use anything overly imaginative, although I must say Perish Song was relatively new to me. Most of the time, performance and originality conflict anyway, so don’t take this too seriously.

Pretty standard here, I’d like to see a Fighting-type/Electric-type Dewgong analysis on why max HP is optimal in your opinion. I think Electrics are more important to cover with Pikachu in the back and Dewgong’s Speed tier.

My own team (keywords: sweep-based, one-dimensional, matchup-reliant)

If it works as intended it’s fast, straightforward and quite foolproof, but the dependence on setting up and the opponent not waking up on turn 2 makes it shaky at best. Pikachu is needed to seal the game too often; which eventually means you lose. Also, Dunsparce gets haxed way too often, and if things go south Poliwhirl is quite useless.

Versatility: 1/5
As said, this team really only works if the Yawn strategy works, otherwise you need to be very lucky to land a Belly Drum (quite doable against bulky waters for example) or bring opponents into Pikachu KO range with an unboosted Poliwhirl and beat the third Pokémon with Pikachu as well. Give Poliwhirl max Speed instead of what I posted earlier.

Basically it’s the already shaky OU strategy with NU Pokémon; bad news. Dunsparce surprised me as a Yawn setter instead of the usual hax set, but I spent most of my creativity in other teams like Curse Duskull + Marshtomp. At least when this team wins, it’s usually a pretty “hard win” which doesn’t need the judge. At least putting Rock Smash to good use at last was pretty original IMO.

After having tried numerous EV spreads and Pokémon to optimize the Belly Drum strategy for NU, I can say with good certainty this is the way to go. The only thing that varies is the last Pokémon, and not all problems can be solved by any of them.

N1c69’s team

I can’t really rate this because it has the additional mono Normal restriction. Wasn’t the challenge hard enough already? Anyway, even in the Normal department I think Pidgeot and/or Dunsparce, possibly also Vigoroth, are almost mandatory, unless you insist on using Serene Grace as the main strategy Trick Furret comes to mind as well.

isoNkei’s team (keywords: gimmicky, comeback problems)

Trading and winning with Fake Out seems good, but then it turns out Meowth can’t even pull it off against that many opponents which severely reduces the effectiveness. This team would be much better if Persian, Sneasel or even Jynx could be used. Haunter does the job pretty well, although some attacking moves as with wtset’s team probably wouldn’t hurt

Versatility: 2/5
Still more versatile than Belly Drum, but also a bit more awkward in scenarios where Wailord can’t trade, as there’s not really a way to ‘come back’ if you’re behind.

It’s nice to see some gimmicks here, although I think weather + Nuzleaf or Lombre can pull these things off better because they actually outspeed things. Probs for using Wailord as an exploding tank, it can probably get it off against the most opponent of the whole NU tier and outspeeds important stuff that resists Explosion.

Optimization: 3/5
I think some work can improve the current strategy. For example, getting rid of Choice Band might enable Wailord to get through two opponents in more battles. Also its spread can be made slightly more effective IMO regarding Speed. For example, 8 HP / 252 SpD with a +SpD Nature guarantees it survives all moves in the game barring crits / OHKOs. Gastly over Haunter, although counterintuitive, indeed looks like it’s the best choice if you’re out to trade anyway, but in this team Haunter seems fine to possibly finish off more Pokémon that just won against Wailord, or even straight up win a matchup.

submenceisop’s team (keywords: powerhouse)

The typical powerhouse team. Really bad against stuff like Regirock, but otherwise puts up at least a fair fight against nearly every lineup (although nothing is guaranteed). Uses Huntail as well, just like wtset, but in wtset’s team Huntail is a much more threatening force because of Light Screen. An alteration of bringing Torkoal to the front sounds plausible so you can run Glalie + Huntail as well (almost typed “HAUNTAIL” lol), but from submenceisop’s experience Glalie is a much better lead. IMO, both versions are about equally good; Torkoal functions well with Quick Claw, even in the lead spot from what I've seen.

Versatility: 3/5
It’s not as versatile as e.g. Coeur7’s team, but still offers some different ways to reach your win and use the team in various ways. That’s what you get when using Pokémon with not-so-bad stats.

Originality: 2/5
Not much to say here, you have Explosions and Rain Dance Huntail and that’s a decent team. No blistering strategies found here, and they’re not needed either.

Very well worked out, I like the spreads, although maybe Glalie and Huntail can be optimized in various ways still once the greatest weaknesses to the team are known.

I think that's it. This was a nice challenge, and won by its creator as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with Actaeon. Wtset has the most original and optimal team. I like the idea of using yawn to set up a belly drum sweep and I think Pikachu following Poliwhirl (beating bulky waters) is a good idea.
I'm far more impressed with the creativity of your teams. Hard to find the optimal spreads, but I definitely agree that optimizing the attack evs on glalie could be done for sure.

Vote: Wtset- 3 points, Actaeon, 1 point.

Edit: I will still stick with my vote. But I do like Samnsid's team quite a bit. Close 2nd for me.

Last edited:
The challenge idea is super cool. I've been using this thread to help with getting all gold symbols on my emerald cart (trying to get the gold trainer card :D). I'm no genius when it comes to team building and some of the teams y'all came up with are super cool but it'd be great fun to try it out. I don't have access to every item that I'd like (stat-boosting berries are particularly challenging to get on a cart).

I understand that I am a bit late on saying this, but I was doing this challenge too. However, I didn't have a Smogon account and only started the challenge on Wednesday (due to being busy), less than 48 hours ago. I know some of you have already voted, but I'll have a write-up of my team later today. It's fine if my team doesn't get any votes or whatever, but I'd still appreciate some feedback on it when I post it.

EDIT: Might be obvious to those in the Discord, but I am SamSandwich

I understand that I am a bit late on saying this, but I was doing this challenge too. However, I didn't have a Smogon account and only started the challenge on Wednesday (due to being busy), less than 48 hours ago. I know some of you have already voted, but I'll have a write-up of my team later today. It's fine if my team doesn't get any votes or whatever, but I'd still appreciate some feedback on it when I post it.

EDIT: Might be obvious to those in the Discord, but I am SamSandwich
Looking forward to the team, I think I missed it!

Sorry for my lateness once more. As I said, I began doing this less than 48 hours ago so I may not have had as much testing time etc. as others, but this was still an enjoyable challenge nevertheless. I even created a Smogon account specifically to write about this lol. My team was able to reach 41 twice in row, once from a save at 21, and the 2nd time from a save after Silver Greta. On my 3rd and final go with this team, from 0, it was able to make it through 35, dying on round 36 to the absolute bane of its existence, Heracross3.

Dewgong @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 156 Def / 38 SpA / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Dive

Chimecho @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Psychic
- Rest
- Yawn

Pikachu @ Light Ball
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Ice

Before I finalized on this team, I went through many iterations. My very first one was Seviper, Vigoroth, and Pikachu. I really wanted to use Seviper because a) it's pretty cool and b) it's moveset is diverse, but it didn't really hit hard enough even with a Choice Band (didn't OHKO Nidoking with EQ), and it couldn't take hits either - at least, not enough to matter. Overall, this team was hyper-offensive, making it very easy to blow through the beginning and some past Silver Greta, but it was very luck-based in that s ingle defensive Pokemon with decent attacks (i.e. Swampert) could ruin my day.

My second main iteration contained Murkrow, Dewgong, and Chimecho (link here: https://pokepast.es/7f242581caeae56e), and utilized a Perish Song chain type strategy. I realized that Fly and Perish Song were very powerful tools, especially on weak Pokemon (EDIT: used by weak Pokemon), with the former essentially giving +1 to Mind and -2 to the opponent on Skill, and the latter OHKOing anything that didn't have Soundproof, as long as you could survive and had another Pokemon in reserve. The idea with this team was to have Murkrow take the first of the opponents out, and then Perish Song chain mons 2 and 3 into a win. Murkrow could also solo Silver Greta by spamming Fly, which was a bonus. However, this team quickly fell apart after Silver Greta since Murkrow didn't pack enough of a punch to get rid of high tier Pokemon before dying. In these cases I could Perish Song, but stalling with Dewgong and also using it to take out mon2 to Perish Song mon3 wasn't cutting it, and Chimecho was amazing at forcing whatever adjudication I needed depending on circumstance, but it was too risky to use as my last Pokemon since its bread-and-butter Rest -> Win Body wouldn't work if it came in at full health. It functioned much better as an intermediary. Pikachu had been dropped because it just wasn't hitting hard enough and kept dying, especially to bulky Waters, the big 3 being Milotic, Walrein, and Lapras.

A running issue through all my iterations, major and minor, was the lack of good anchors to take over in emergencies (1-2 situations, sometimes even 1-3) and reliably defeat the last Pokemon on the opponent's side. However, in my final iteration, Pikachu alleviated this problem (somewhat) with the proper support from Chimecho. With that in mind, here is my final team:

Remnants of my 2nd team can be seen here, with Dewgong still carrying Perish Song. Dewgong works particularly well because Dive is as busted as Fly, and coupled with Dewgong's great natural bulk and solid defenses, it could adjudicate to wins twice in a row in most cases, at which point Perish Song on mon3 is a free win for me. Protect lets me stall to wait out the Perish Song timer so Chimecho need only Protect once to faint whatever it is that needs to go, and Ice Beam is solid move that let me reliably beat several Pokemon, including Grass types that just couldn't hit hard enough to beat Dewgong. Leftovers was a boon since it forced Body adjudications so many times combined with Dewgong's high bulk/defenses and Dive.

Most of the time Chimecho came in, it simply Protected and let me win the battle since Dewgong did its job so well. However, in cases where Dewgong is gone, Chimecho can reliably KO the opponent or win the adjudication (depending on circumstance). It required a lot of prediction on my part. Most things could only 2/3HKO this thing, so if I had a little damage I could force an adjudication win by using Yawn -> Protect -> Rest, which allowed me to win on Skill and Body. Poison and Psychic types could easily be felled by a couple Psychics. In other cases, Chimecho simply set up for Pikachu by Yawning, then losing on purpose, thus allowing Pikachu to come in and set up Substitute, which brings me to…

Pikachu. The problem with Pikachu was its defenses. I needed some way to alleviate its horrible defenses, as it could 2HKO the majority of opponents even at higher tiers if it just didn't die first! The way I solved this was by forcing losses with Chiemcho and timing them such that Yawn put the opponent to sleep as Pikachu came in. Then Pikachu set up substitute and massacred its way to victory sitting pretty behind sub. I had a fair number of reverse 2-1's this way, as Chimecho could do enough damage with Psychic to turn a 2HKO into an OHKO for Pikachu.

Overall, I liked this team. However, it has some glaring weaknesses, the biggest being Silver Greta. The two big things here are Heracross and Shedinja. With a Dewgong lead, I was able to tie with Heracross, then use Chimecho to set up for Pikachu and beat Umbreon. But I have nothing to hit Sheddy with and so my runs end. One solution was to swap HP Ice on Pikachu for HP Ghost. Then Silver Greta wouldn't be hard, but everything else would be, and I was only allowed one team for the challenge with no Pokemon/move swaps depending on the level (otherwise I would've used Murkrow here lol). The other solution was to put Pikachu in the lead and Chimecho last and hope for the best. This was the path I chose and while risky, it worked okay, though Lanturn leads are abysmal to face. The basic idea is that I send out Pikachu, then Substitute for the first two turns in hopes that a non-attacking move is used that allows me to keep it up, and on turn 3 if I don't have the Sub then I just attack, and let Dewgong/Chimecho deal with it. Here, Heracross becomes a problem since Pikachu can't OHKO it, and I simply Sub and hope for Megahorn misses. Once Megahorn never missed but I got Parahax fro Thunderbolt on turn 3, allowing Pikachu to win the adjudication. But if Heracross went down, then I was home free, as Umbreon had nothing on Dewgong and Perish Song made quick work of Shedinja.

Other threats were:
a) Pokemon with Insomnia/Vital Spirit/Soundproof: For obvious reasons. These abilities really mess with my strats.
b) Lum/Chesto Berries: Again, for obvious reasons. Especially if these are on the mon that Chimecho is facing. I do have a way to get past these but it relies on Chimecho being 3HKO'd, not 2HKO'd, which is rare against powerhouses that have Lum Berry such as Starmie.
c) Heracross3: Same reason as Greta's Heracross. It outspeeds Chimecho and hits way too hard.

Surprisingly, hax wasn't that big of a problem, with predictable AI on Guillotine Pinsir (which I saw a lot), and general Dive/Protect/Sleep shenanigans messing with OHKO's. QC actually helped me once by going before Dewgong popped out from the Dive, so it was a loss in Skill for the opponent lol.

As I said before, I've come up with this in a little less than 2 days. It may be likely that I could've come up with something better had I more time, but felt it unfair to ask for more as others had already begun posting and it is my fault for starting late. In any case, I will cast my votes later.

EDIT: After some further playing, I think I've found a way to consistently beat Silver Greta. I Substitute with lead Pikachu twice, as usual hoping for hax. On turn 3, if I don't get any, then I go for Thunderbolt. Pikachu dies, Dewgong comes in, then I Dive (I outspeed before a Rock Tomb) and Protect. I win the adjudication on Skill and Body, and from there Umbreon and Shedinja are easy enough to fell. I also changed Chimecho's Chesto to a Lum since I'll most likely be Resting to win on turn 3 of lastmons, where I don't need to wake up again and Lum prevents things like Confusion and Parahax from screwing me over.

Last edited:
Sorry for my lateness once more. As I said, I began doing this less than 48 hours ago so I may not have had as much testing time etc. as others, but this was still an enjoyable challenge nevertheless. I even created a Smogon account specifically to write about this lol. My team was able to reach 41 twice in row, once from a save at 21, and the 2nd time from a save after Silver Greta. On my 3rd and final go with this team, from 0, it was able to make it through 35, dying on round 36 to the absolute bane of its existence, Heracross3.

Dewgong @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 156 Def / 38 SpA / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Dive

Chimecho @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Psychic
- Rest
- Yawn

Pikachu @ Light Ball
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Ice

Before I finalized on this team, I went through many iterations. My very first one was Seviper, Vigoroth, and Pikachu. I really wanted to use Seviper because a) it's pretty cool and b) it's moveset is diverse, but it didn't really hit hard enough even with a Choice Band (didn't OHKO Nidoking with EQ), and it couldn't take hits either - at least, not enough to matter. Overall, this team was hyper-offensive, making it very easy to blow through the beginning and some past Silver Greta, but it was very luck-based in that s ingle defensive Pokemon with decent attacks (i.e. Swampert) could ruin my day.

My second main iteration contained Murkrow, Dewgong, and Chimecho (link here: https://pokepast.es/7f242581caeae56e), and utilized a Perish Song chain type strategy. I realized that Fly and Perish Song were very powerful tools, especially on weak Pokemon (EDIT: used by weak Pokemon), with the former essentially giving +1 to Mind and -2 to the opponent on Skill, and the latter OHKOing anything that didn't have Soundproof, as long as you could survive and had another Pokemon in reserve. The idea with this team was to have Murkrow take the first of the opponents out, and then Perish Song chain mons 2 and 3 into a win. Murkrow could also solo Silver Greta by spamming Fly, which was a bonus. However, this team quickly fell apart after Silver Greta since Murkrow didn't pack enough of a punch to get rid of high tier Pokemon before dying. In these cases I could Perish Song, but stalling with Dewgong and also using it to take out mon2 to Perish Song mon3 wasn't cutting it, and Chimecho was amazing at forcing whatever adjudication I needed depending on circumstance, but it was too risky to use as my last Pokemon since its bread-and-butter Rest -> Win Body wouldn't work if it came in at full health. It functioned much better as an intermediary. Pikachu had been dropped because it just wasn't hitting hard enough and kept dying, especially to bulky Waters, the big 3 being Milotic, Walrein, and Lapras.

A running issue through all my iterations, major and minor, was the lack of good anchors to take over in emergencies (1-2 situations, sometimes even 1-3) and reliably defeat the last Pokemon on the opponent's side. However, in my final iteration, Pikachu alleviated this problem (somewhat) with the proper support from Chimecho. With that in mind, here is my final team:

Remnants of my 2nd team can be seen here, with Dewgong still carrying Perish Song. Dewgong works particularly well because Dive is as busted as Fly, and coupled with Dewgong's great natural bulk and solid defenses, it could adjudicate to wins twice in a row in most cases, at which point Perish Song on mon3 is a free win for me. Protect lets me stall to wait out the Perish Song timer so Chimecho need only Protect once to faint whatever it is that needs to go, and Ice Beam is solid move that let me reliably beat several Pokemon, including Grass types that just couldn't hit hard enough to beat Dewgong. Leftovers was a boon since it forced Body adjudications so many times combined with Dewgong's high bulk/defenses and Dive.

Most of the time Chimecho came in, it simply Protected and let me win the battle since Dewgong did its job so well. However, in cases where Dewgong is gone, Chimecho can reliably KO the opponent or win the adjudication (depending on circumstance). It required a lot of prediction on my part. Most things could only 2/3HKO this thing, so if I had a little damage I could force an adjudication win by using Yawn -> Protect -> Rest, which allowed me to win on Skill and Body. Poison and Psychic types could easily be felled by a couple Psychics. In other cases, Chimecho simply set up for Pikachu by Yawning, then losing on purpose, thus allowing Pikachu to come in and set up Substitute, which brings me to…

Pikachu. The problem with Pikachu was its defenses. I needed some way to alleviate its horrible defenses, as it could 2HKO the majority of opponents even at higher tiers if it just didn't die first! The way I solved this was by forcing losses with Chiemcho and timing them such that Yawn put the opponent to sleep as Pikachu came in. Then Pikachu set up substitute and massacred its way to victory sitting pretty behind sub. I had a fair number of reverse 2-1's this way, as Chimecho could do enough damage with Psychic to turn a 2HKO into an OHKO for Pikachu.

Overall, I liked this team. However, it has some glaring weaknesses, the biggest being Silver Greta. The two big things here are Heracross and Shedinja. With a Dewgong lead, I was able to tie with Heracross, then use Chimecho to set up for Pikachu and beat Umbreon. But I have nothing to hit Sheddy with and so my runs end. One solution was to swap HP Ice on Pikachu for HP Ghost. Then Silver Greta wouldn't be hard, but everything else would be, and I was only allowed one team for the challenge with no Pokemon/move swaps depending on the level (otherwise I would've used Murkrow here lol). The other solution was to put Pikachu in the lead and Chimecho last and hope for the best. This was the path I chose and while risky, it worked okay, though Lanturn leads are abysmal to face. The basic idea is that I send out Pikachu, then Substitute for the first two turns in hopes that a non-attacking move is used that allows me to keep it up, and on turn 3 if I don't have the Sub then I just attack, and let Dewgong/Chimecho deal with it. Here, Heracross becomes a problem since Pikachu can't OHKO it, and I simply Sub and hope for Megahorn misses. Once Megahorn never missed but I got Parahax fro Thunderbolt on turn 3, allowing Pikachu to win the adjudication. But if Heracross went down, then I was home free, as Umbreon had nothing on Dewgong and Perish Song made quick work of Shedinja.

Other threats were:
a) Pokemon with Insomnia/Vital Spirit/Soundproof: For obvious reasons. These abilities really mess with my strats.
b) Lum/Chesto Berries: Again, for obvious reasons. Especially if these are on the mon that Chimecho is facing. I do have a way to get past these but it relies on Chimecho being 3HKO'd, not 2HKO'd, which is rare against powerhouses that have Lum Berry such as Starmie.
c) Heracross3: Same reason as Greta's Heracross. It outspeeds Chimecho and hits way too hard.

Surprisingly, hax wasn't that big of a problem, with predictable AI on Guillotine Pinsir (which I saw a lot), and general Dive/Protect/Sleep shenanigans messing with OHKO's. QC actually helped me once by going before Dewgong popped out from the Dive, so it was a loss in Skill for the opponent lol.

As I said before, I've come up with this in a little less than 2 days. It may be likely that I could've come up with something better had I more time, but felt it unfair to ask for more as others had already begun posting and it is my fault for starting late. In any case, I will cast my votes later.

EDIT: After some further playing, I think I've found a way to consistently beat Silver Greta. I Substitute with lead Pikachu twice, as usual hoping for hax. On turn 3, if I don't get any, then I go for Thunderbolt. Pikachu dies, Dewgong comes in, then I Dive (I outspeed before a Rock Tomb) and Protect. I win the adjudication on Skill and Body, and from there Umbreon and Shedinja are easy enough to fell. I also changed Chimecho's Chesto to a Lum since I'll most likely be Resting to win on turn 3 of lastmons, where I don't need to wake up again and Lum prevents things like Confusion and Parahax from screwing me over.
That's a nice lineup, I'm happy someone posted a team with Chimecho. I tried using a Calm Mind set too but I didn't make it successful. I'm happy you ditched the Murkrow team in favor of this; IMO Pidgeot is a much better Fly abuser because of its bulk. You won't actually KO stuff with Fly anyway unless they're really weak to it. Of course, Murkrow does have a way more interesting movepool, and for a Choice Bander you could at least consider it.

Hello everyone!
A few quick updates:

• I've uploaded a commented replay of one of the toughest matches I've ever faced in this streak against Pkmn Ranger Tyler and his set-up sweepers

• My run has now reached 2457 wins!

• The live stream will prolly be sunday around the afternoon/evening (GMT +0)!

Also, pretty excited to see what's popping from wtset challenges!
This was very nice to watch, I love you accent too :)

I regret to inform you that Coeur7 has withdrawn from the challenge for personal reasons, which is a pity because I really loved his team. Instead, samnsid is now eligible to vote for (and to vote himself).

Actaeon Can you update your voting with this new information? I really really appreciate the effort you're putting into this, You motivated me to make a long, detailed voting/feedback post as well :)
submenceisop As you didn't vote for Coeur7 , there's not neccessarily a need to update your voting, but you're still free to do so, if you feel like samnsid 's team deserves the points.

Second vote then goes to samnsid, really closely followed by submenceisop, although that means nothing in points. I'm fond of the different strategies involved and I think it's versatile, original and decently optimized from the little time I had to try it out. And I just love Chimecho, it's really that Pokemon that I've never even used ingame lol.

Reached 117 wins with Gengar, Metagross and Kingdra in the Arena! After the NU challenge with Huntail, I had the inspiration to try out Kingdra and it didn't disappoint. This is a simple playstyle.
Gengar abuses it's great coverage/great defensive typing to take down 1 or multiple opponents.

Metagross is the bulky backbone and resists psychic and dragon (Kingdra's weakness). Metagross has enough speed to out speed all variants of Metagross and Jolly Donphan. If your last member is weak to ice (it is recommended to run enough 204 speed to outspeed Jynx, imo). Metagross plays a key role here. It checks the Latis, booms on bulky water types and special walls to help remove Kingdra's biggest threats. Metagross isn't ohkoed by anything un boosted besides fire and ground types, which Kingdra dominates.

Kingdra is the interesting one of the core. With swift swim, Kingdra can heavily invest in bulk, while still out speeding everything under rain. I went with just enough speed to out speed the 105 speed tier (with things like Nidoking, Articuno). Simple move set to hit as many things as possible. Kingdra is actually a really nice partner with Metagross. It would even fit nicely under a rain dance team.

https://pokepast.es/ae79393329fe21d1

Loss: Battle 118 to Aerodactyl. Got haxxed really bad. Will upload video.
https://kapwi.ng/c/i9AoyBxV

Edit: Also tried with mixed results, losing in streaks in the 70s: Reversal Heracross, Reversal Medicham, Reversal Blaziken (too slow with Naughty, not enough power with Naive), Salac Berry D-bond Gardevoir.

Attachments

Last edited:
Instead, samnsid is now eligible to vote for (and to vote himself).
I'm a bit busy this weekend, so I only had time to test the teams of wtset and Actaeon.

While I liked wtset's team, it felt extrememly prone to being haxxed. Gastly has a variety of counters, including Paralysis and Sleep inducers who don't attack until after they've statused Gastly, or worse, status users who are faster than Gastly. Then, the status gets me I can't D-Bond or attack or anything. I think Haunter would've been better here since its defenses are so low that I doubt anything would have made a difference in it being able to die, but the 15-point speed increase could have really helped. Similarly, Huntail faces a haxxing problem, where even in the rain it couldn't OHKO many opponents (it took 2 hits to KO an Ursaring once), and without anything to counter hax, Huntail many times found itself unable to do anything to the opponent and lost adjudications to the opponent on Skill and Body, even with a Light Screen up. In other words, this has a similar anchor problem that I faced, except this time the problem is hax, which I alleviated on my Pikachu through Substitute but for me defenses were a problem. However, even then, I think this team performed the best out of all the other teams submitted, so this gets my 3 points.

Actaeon's team, as he said himself, is somewhat of a one-trick-Ponyta. If you can get behind a Sub and Belly Drum, there's very little that can stop you. If you can't… tough luck, you're probably gone. The usage of Thief on Dunsparce is very clever, as it removes threatening Chesto and Lum Berries, allowing Poliwhirl to safely come in on Yawns. Your Yawn + Sub strategy is pretty much the same idea I had, but is somewhat safer with Pikachu I think since Pikachu doesn't need an additional turn of boosting after Sub to hit hard. But you got to 62, which shows that this team, with luck, can get very far, at the cost of consistency. What perplexes me though is why Dunsparce doesn't carry Lum Berry to not get haxxed.

While I couldn't test submenceisop's team (sorry!), it seems to have problems after Silver Greta (as we all do lol). However, even through Actaeon's inconsistency, his team has the potential to reach over 60 wins, so he gets my second place.

To be perfectly honest, if I could, I would have voted for myself along with wtset, since in my experience the results of both teams were around the same. For fun, I decided to combine some ideas of the two and replace wtset's Gastly with my Dewgong for a surprisingly solid showing. In most cases, Dewgong can take out the opponent's first Pokemon either through a KO or adjudication, and can even take out the 2nd in a lot of situations. If it can't, then it can set up Perish Song and stall, then Glalie comes in and prepares for Huntail as the 2nd mon dies to Perish Song. Then, on the last mon, you can decide to either kill it with Ice Beam, or Explode and go into Huntail if it doesn't die. Glalie -> Huntail is also better setup -> kill strategy than Chimecho -> Pikachu imo, that can save more situations as Glalie can practically take one of the opponents out with Explosion and Huntail can beat nearly anything 1-on-1 as long as it doesn't get haxxed. The repeated typings isn't really a hinderance in my experience, is actually somewhat poetic lol (Ice - Water/Ice - Water).

As a final conclusion, I will say that I was under the impression that we couldn't switch moves up depending on the round. Since that is not true, simply switching Pikachu's HP Ice to HP Ghost could make Round 4 leagues easier rather than having to change to a Pika lead and risk 6 battles before Greta.

Votes: wtset - 3, Actaeon - 1

Random passerby comment -

I'm so happy to see continued interest for Emerald's Battle Frontier. As a lurker for many years, I appreciate that some people still have ongoing discussions for this place. Believe it or not, it's helpful to someone out there looking for useful information to grind out these facilities. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)