Gen III - Pokemon Contest Discussion

Gen III - Pokemon Contest Discussion

Introduction
Pokemon Contests in Gen III have always interested me. They provided a chance to find a use for Pokemon that have bad stats or a poor type, and the other generations that have contests just don't have the same feel as the ones in RSE. Now that I'm going back through the older generations (I - III) and completing as many in-game challenges as possible, I wanted to make the most optimal sets and teams for each challenge. And the Pokemon Contests in Gen III are no exception.

My main aim is to maximise the amount of hearts obtained in the appeal phase. I started out by looking for move combinations for each category to base my movesets around.
The following combinations stood out as the highest appeal combo for each category:
Cool:
Peck -> Drill Peck
Beauty:
Ice Punch -> Fire Punch
Powder Snow -> Blizzard
Mean Look
-> Destiny Bond
Cute:
Mud Sport -> Water Gun / Water Sport
Water Sport
-> Mud Sport / Water Gun
Smart:
Mean Look -> Destiny Bond
Curse -> Destiny Bond
Tough:
Curse -> Grudge / Spite
Curse
-> Destiny Bond
Any move that combos with Destiny Bond gives 16 hearts for the last move, so is definitely a combo to keep in mind for any category that gets access to one. The rest of each moveset is used to help in various situations, such as either winning or losing going into the final round.

I have included movesets for Smeargle under each catergory. The idea behind each of these movesets is that they are more consistent at winning, since they allow the player to jam the other Pokemon if they are losing going in to the final round. Smeargle is used since it is the only Pokemon able to learn some of the move combinations, and I like to think of Smeargle as the ultimate contest Pokemon.

Cool

The Cool category has access to the combo Peck -> Drill Peck, as well as having Frenzy Plant / Hyper Beam / Outrage as a finishing move with both high appeal and jamming. Aerial Ace / Shock Wave / Swift are the go to moves when in the first position.
As for nature for the Cool category, any Atk raising nature will be beneficial when feeding Pokeblocks.

/
/

Dodrio / Fearow / Zapdos @ Red Scarf
Brave Nature
- Peck
- Drill Peck
- Aerial Ace
- Hyper Beam
1. Peck
2. Drill Peck
3. Peck
4. Drill Peck
5. Aerial Ace (winning) / Hyper Beam (losing)
Peck -> Drill Peck is the main basis of this moveset. The combo gives a total of 14 hearts over two turns (Peck gives 4 hearts w/ +1 for category bonus, Drill Peck gives 8 hearts from the combo w/ +1 for category bonus). Using the combo twice gives a total of 28 hearts and one turn left to appeal. The other two moves are useful in different situations. Aerial Ace is best used if you are going first for the final round, as it gives a total of 7 hearts (6 hearts for going first, and +1 for category bonus). Hyper Beam is to be used when you aren't first going into the final round. It gives a total of 5 hearts (4 hearts + 1 for category bonus), as well as having a strong jamming effect to disrupt the Pokemon that are ahead of you, potential pulling a comeback.
In a perfect scenario, this moveset can obtain 35 hearts.

Smeargle @ Red Scarf
Brave Nature
- Peck
- Drill Peck
- Aerial Ace / Shock Wave / Swift
- Frenzy Plant / Hyper Beam / Outrage
1. Peck
2. Drill Peck
3. Peck
4. Drill Peck
5. Aerial Ace (winning) / Frenzy Plant (losing)
This is the same moveset as the Non-Smeargle moveset, since it already has a good combo and a jamming move. The idea behind the moveset is to use Peck -> Drill Peck for turns 1 to 4, and then choose a last move based on the opposing Pokemon. If you are in the lead spot for the final round, Aerial Ace will give the most hearts. If you are not in the lead spot, Frenzy Plant will give a good amount of hearts, as well as jamming the Pokemon ahead of you.
Beauty

The Beauty category has access to multiple high appeal combos, with Powder Snow -> Blizzard and Ice Punch -> Fire Punch being two of them. Mean Look -> Destiny Bond is useful as a finishing combo due to its high amount of appeal. Explosion / Self-Destruct are good finisher moves, and Blast Burn / Hydro Cannon / Petal Dance work well as jamming moves. Magical Leaf is the go to move when in the first position.
As for nature for the Beauty category, any SpA raising nature will be beneficial when feeding Pokeblocks.

/

Gardevoir / Gengar @ Blue Scarf
Mild Nature
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Mean Look
- Destiny Bond
1. Fire Punch
2. Ice Punch
3. Fire Punch
4. Mean Look
5. Destiny Bond
Ice Punch -> Fire Punch, along with Mean Look -> Destiny Bond are the main basis of this moveset. The order of the first three moves does not matter, as long as one combo of Ice Punch -> Fire Punch is pulled off for 14 hearts (Ice Punch gives 4 hearts w/ +1 for category bonus, Fire Punch gives 8 hearts from the combo w/ +1 for category bonus). The final two moves are Mean Look and Destiny Bond, as it gives a massive 19 hearts (Mean Look gives 2 hearts w/ +1 for category bonus, Destiny Bond gives 16 hearts from the combo).
In a perfect scenario, this moveset can obtain 38 hearts.

Smeargle @ Blue Scarf
Mild Nature
- Powder Snow
- Blizzard
- Blast Burn / Hydro Cannon / Petal Dance
- Explosion / Self-Destruct
1. Powder Snow
2. Blizzard
3. Powder Snow
4. Blizzard
5. Explosion (winning) / Blast Burn (losing)
The problem with the non-Smeargle moveset is that it relies on pulling off the Destiny Bond combo in the last turn to cement the victory. The moveset does not allow for any flexability, especially if an opposing Pokemon gets lucky and streaks ahead, since the moveset has no jamming moves.
This moveset drops the Mean Look -> Destiny Bond combo for the ability to jam with Blast Burn. The idea behind the moveset is to use Powder Snow -> Blizzard for turns 1 to 4, and then choose a last move based on the opposing Pokemon. If you are in the lead spot for the final round, Explosion will give the most hearts. If you are not in the lead spot, Blast Burn will give a good amount of hearts, as well as jamming the Pokemon ahead of you.
Even with Explosion over Mean Look -> Destiny Bond, this moveset can still get 37 hearts.
Cute

The Cute category has access to the combo Mud Sport -> Water Sport, as well having Teeter Dance as a useful jamming move. Swagger is the go to move when in the first position.
As for nature for the Cute category, any Spe raising nature will be beneficial when feeding Pokeblocks.

Surskit @ Pink Scarf
Timid Nature
- Water Sport
- Mud Sport
- Swagger
- Sweet Scent
1. Mud Sport
2. Water Sport
3. Mud Sport
4. Water Sport
5. Swagger (winning) / Sweet Scent (losing)
Mud Sport -> Water Sport is the main basis of this moveset. The combo gives a total of 14 hearts over two turns (Mud Sport gives 4 hearts w/ +1 for category bonus, Water Sport gives 8 hearts from the combo w/ +1 for category bonus). Using the combo twice gives a total of 28 hearts and one turn left to appeal. The other two moves are useful in different situations. Swagger is best used if you are going first for the final round, as it gives a total of 7 hearts (6 hearts for going first, and +1 for category bonus). Sweet Scent is to be used when you aren't first going into the final round. Although not as effective as Hyper Beam, it gives a total of 2 hearts (1 hearts + 1 for category bonus), as well as having a strong jamming effect to disrupt the Pokemon that are ahead of you.

Smeargle @ Pink Scarf
- Mud Sport
- Water Sport
- Swagger
- Teeter Dance
1. Mud Sport
2. Water Sport
3. Mud Sport
4. Water Sport
5. Swagger (winning) / Teeter Dance (losing)
This is the same moveset as the Non-Smeargle moveset, with one move change. Sweet Scent has been to changed to the stronger Teeter Dance, since it gives more hearts and jam while not being able to appeal the turn after. The idea behind the moveset is the same, to use Mud Sport -> Water Sport for turns 1 to 4, and then choose a last move based on the opposing Pokemon. If you are in the lead spot for the final round, Swagger will give the most hearts. If you are not in the lead spot, Teeter Dance will give a good amount of hearts, as well as jamming the Pokemon ahead of you.
Smart

The Smart category has access to the combo Curse -> Destiny Bond, which includes Destiny Bond as a finishing move with very high appeal. Disable / Flatter / Helping Hand / Spider Web / Spikes / Taunt are strong disruptive move when in the first position, potentially making the other Pokemon nervous. Faint Attack / Shadow Punch are the go to moves when in the first position.
As for nature for the Smart category, any SpD raising nature will be beneficial when feeding Pokeblocks.

/
/

Banette / Dusclops / Gengar @ Green Scarf
Calm Nature
- Faint Attack
/ Taunt
- Curse
- Grudge
/ Spite
- Destiny Bond
1. Faint Attack / Disable
2. Curse
3. Grudge
4. Curse
5. Destiny Bond
The Smart and Tough categories are very similar, due to the effectiveness of the combos Curse -> Grudge and Curse -> Destiny Bond.
Faint Attack is a solid first move since it gives 7 hearts if you won the primary round of judging. Taunt is an option if you want to use Gengar, as it can disrupt the other Pokemon as well as giving 3 hearts. Curse is an important move on this set, as it is part of two combos. Despite not giving any category bonuses, Curse -> Grudge is an effective combo that makes full use of Curse. Curse forces you to go last next turn, which combines well with Grudge, which is more effective the later you are in the turn order. This gives a total of 10 hearts (Curse gives 3 hearts, Grudge gives 7 hearts from the combo). Curse -> Destiny Bond is the main draw of this set, as it gives 20 hearts (Curse gives 3 hearts, Destiny Bond gives 16 hearts from the combo w/ +1 for category bonus) over two turns.
In a perfect scenario, this moveset can obtain 37 hearts.

Smeargle @ Green Scarf
Calm Nature
- Faint Attack / Shadow Punch
- Curse
- Grudge / Spite
- Destiny Bond
1. Faint Attack
2. Curse
3. Grudge
4. Curse
5. Destiny Bond
This is the same moveset as the Non-Smeargle moveset, since there aren't any good Smart jamming moves and Curse -> Destiny Bond is too strong to drop.
Tough

The Tough category has access to the combo Curse -> Grudge / Spite, as well the combo Curse -> Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond is a fantastic finishing move, as with the previous combo, it gives 16 hearts without any category bonus. Torment is useful as a disruptive move, potentially making the other Pokemon nervous.
As for nature for the Tough category, any Def raising nature will be beneficial when feeding Pokeblocks.

/
/

Banette / Dusclops / Gengar @ Yellow Scarf
Impish Nature
- Faint Attack
/ Torment
- Curse
- Grudge
/ Spite
- Destiny Bond
1. Faint Attack / Torment
2. Curse
3. Grudge / Spite
4. Curse
5. Destiny Bond
The Smart and Tough categories are very similar, due to the effectiveness of the combos Curse -> Grudge and Curse -> Destiny Bond.
Faint Attack is a solid first move since it gives 6 hearts in the Tough category if you won the primary round of judging. Torment is an option if you want to use Gengar, as it can disrupt the other Pokemon as well as giving 3 hearts. Curse is an important move on this set, as it is part of two combos. Curse -> Grudge is an effective combo that makes full use of Curse. Curse forces you to go last next turn, which combines well with Grudge, which is more effective the later you are in the turn order. This gives a total of 12 hearts (Curse gives 3 hearts w/ +1 for category bonus, Grudge gives 7 hearts from the combo w/ +1 for category bonus). Curse -> Destiny Bond is the main draw of this set, as it gives 20 hearts (Curse gives 3 hearts w/ +1 for category bonus, Destiny Bond gives 16 hearts from the combo) over two turns.
In a perfect scenario, this moveset can obtain 38 hearts.

Smeargle @ Yellow Scarf
Impish Nature
- Acid Armor / AncientPower / Swallow
- Curse
- Grudge / Spite
- Destiny Bond
1. Acid Armor
2. Curse
3. Grudge
4. Curse
5. Destiny Bond
This moveset has one change from the non-Smeargle moveset, Faint Attack -> Acid Armor. With the addition of Acid Armor, Smeargle is less vunerable to becoming nervous from the opposing Pokemon, which helps give this moveset more consistency. Although Acid Armor doesn't give as many hearts as first turn Faint Attack, it does give any move used after it +1, which offsets this difference.
In a perfect scenario, it can still achieve 38 hearts.

• (18/3/19) - Added Smeargle sets, which are more consistent. Added more info to each catergory introduction.

Feel free to suggest your own sets or improvements to any of my sets above.

Last edited:
I really wanted to reply here sooner, because I love the Pokémon Contest in RSE as well! Great to see a topic for it. :D

Let me say this first: you've put a lot of thought in these movesets per category. I don't think I can add more clever choices in terms of obtaining more hearts for each contest. The move combinations listed above are indeed really powerful, and at the time I played the Contests a lot I didn't check out a lot of combos. The only thing I find less effective in your movesets above (theoretically, I haven't tried it) is the combo you listed for the Smart contest. Curse -> Grudge/Spite works the same as in the Tough contest, but it excludes you from getting an excited crowd as the audience is indifferent about Tough moves in the Smart contest. However, given the lack of other options for Smart combos, I can imagine it makes up for the extra hearts you can earn for your appeal or by getting an excited crowd. I'm curious to try some of your movesets, especially Surskit (<3) and Dusclops for the combos, but since the clocks have died in both my Ruby and Emerald games, I cannot grow any berries or blend them with Berry Master anymore.

I have to admit I've played the contests a bit differently. Preferably, I picked up a move combo and/or highly appealing moves in the right contest category, a jamming move (or one that protects me against jamming from others), and a move from another category. A finishing move in the last slot is fine too, like Destiny Bond, Explosion and Hyper Beam. The latter is especially helpful because you can learn it to a lot of Pokémon, and by TM. In effect it's the same as Destiny Bond, unless a contestant before you protects itself against it. Generally speaking, I'm more focused at "crowd control" to get my bonus hearts. Especially in Master Rank you'll probably end up last in the introduction phase, unless you've blended a lot of berries with Berry Master. So for the first two rounds, I usually aim for a last position move + first position move, or a move-first move + first position move. If every contestant uses moves in the same category of the contest, you'll obtain the bonus for the crowd going excited. It's 6 hearts extra if I recall correctly, so if you get it in a combo it can lead to a tremendous amount of hearts. It's less effective in the lower ranks because you'll face a lot more jamming, inconsistent moves or Pokémon entering "the wrong" contest. ^^ Nevertheless, I aim to get it on my appeal turn and obstruct others from getting it with a move the audiences dislikes or is indifferent about.

Anyway, like battling, there are different tactics to go for in contests depending on the category, contestants and luck. Prepared to get jammed a lot in the Smart contest and try to outscore you opponents with hearts in the Cute contest (as there's almost no jamming involved). Or get nervous three appeal turns in a row if you're unlucky. You can even try to inflict negative hearts to all contestants instead of boosting your own. The contest can be frustrating, but when the odds favour you, you'll be able to win miraculously as well. The variation within this simple mini-game and the fact you can play it with any Pokémon makes it so fun. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)