Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fair to not want to see leaks but only discuss confirmed info...lol...

QuickBH

DOn't use Pokemon Refresh then, the idea of a Nuzlocke is to add extra challenge, so adding a "refresh clause" to keep the challenge isn't a bad idea. (But for all we know S/M could be terribly difficult and as such Pokemon Refresh is like a light among the darkness)

I've actually been misreading the Japanese name of that move this whole time. Turns out that it's ひっさつのピカチュート (Hissatsu no Pikachūto, which--based on the animation+the sound of the word--is most likely interpreted as "Killer Technique Pikashoot" (like Pikachu+Shoot, which if Inazuma Eleven has taught me anything is what they substitute in place of "shot")) as opposed to ひっさつのピカチュー (Hissatsu no Pikachu; lit. "Killer Technique of Pikachu"). IDK what I think about that honestly. It's pretty cool though, and it makes more sense than the English name does...
I would love they named the move "killer pikashoot" but kill is not a word that will pass as a name for any move on the localization team

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would love they named the move "killer pikashoot" but kill is not a word that will pass as a name for any move on the localization team
It's not that there is a word for killer in the actual name, it's just that Hissatsu can be roughly interpreted as killer technique. You could call it "special move" and probably a more accurate translation would be "certain kill", but it comes back to the same thing really. In video games it is just a word used to represent particularly powerful techniques (in this case, Pikachu's Z move), with the first example that comes to my head being Inazuma Eleven (where the English name for hissatsu is the less inspiring "special moves"). Honestly, I could have seen it being "Special Move: Pikashoot" or something along those lines, but it is what it is.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
A bit late to the new info, but man do I like the version exclusive monkey/ape mons. Passimian seems to confirm the leaks about the rugby/football monkey too.

I like Passimian's design, but I'm also interested in Oranguru's typing. Normal/Psychic is pretty cool on both offense and defense. I just hope its stats are actually decent, instead of being Girafarig 2.0

I swear, with each little bit of new info that is revealed, it's making it harder to choose between Sun and Moon

A magazine confirms that Megas will be in Sun Moon.

View attachment 70154 View attachment 70155

It was said that Jangmo-o 's ability sound proof, can block Mega Gardevoir's and Sylveon's Hyper Voice.
THE ARGUMENT IS FINALLY LAID TO REST

RIP Mega evolutions argument 2016-2016 you will not be missed

Also, a dragon type that is immune to Pixilate Hyper Voice can probably find some niche in being able to switch into those moves. If Jangmo-o (or it's evolution/s, assuming it gets any) gets a steel or poison type move, it could probably beat Sylveon or Mega Gardevoir 1v1

Last edited:

It was said that Jangmo-o 's ability sound proof, can block Mega Gardevoir's and Sylveon's Hyper Voice.
Maybe, although it could list those two since they both have Pixilate and were common users of Hyper Voice.

It can't be Catastropic + Pika but Catastropic isn't a thing, you're thinking of Catastrophic. So either way, the conjunction would lose the "f" sound in the trophic/trophe, but with /trophe, you get the "ee" sound that Peekachu has. So imma go with Catastrophe + Pika for this (very weird) discussion.

Pikatastropika. No wait. MEGA Pikatastropika.
Because English is a weird language (deer and dear are pronounced the same, but mot beer and bear) and I apparently didn't know how to spell Catastrophic.

And what a weird note to go out on, since I am planning on not really looking at new Sun/Moon stuff from here on out (about 58 days now) to make sure there's a few more things I won't see coming.

These past few months have been pretty fun though, hopefully it'll encourage me to be more active in more forums here as opposed to CAP (where even there I lurk a bit) and i still plan on trying to get in on the initial Sun/Moon theorymoning because that is right up my alley.

I guess one last thing to do is ask a couple of questions: With less than two months to go until the launch of Sun/Moon to most of the world, What are some of your overall favorite Pokemon revealed so far? What concepts revealed so far have you most excited to try out in competitive settings?

On the first one for me, Alola Vulpix/Ninetales have stolen my but then again Foxes are my favorite animal, so I am biased. Besides them, I do like the designs for Stufful/Bewear, Mimikkyu, and Type: Null the best, actually. I've always liked the derpy apperances for Stufful and Bewear, and the tag doesn't really turn me off towards their design. I do agree with the common assessmeny that Mimikkyu is adorable and am pleased that it's plan to become loved like Pikachu has succeeded. Type: Null's design looks bizarre enough for me to actually like, while the concept is interesting.
And the name suggests that the "cat with a typing that depends on the father" part of the otherwise busted leak is true. And I would love to see how a non-uber and non-mythic variation of Arceus would impact the metas.

On the second question: I still think Stakeout is one of more intriguing abilities revealed and will definitely try to make that work. Besides that there is obviously Instruct, since I am into VGC, as well as Reciever, but Comfey's Priority Healing Moves ability seems worth testing while Togedemaru will be worth a look at the move pool just to see if it looks like another Pachirisu. For Single Battles I would look into Dancer as a niche counter for DDance Pokemon, although I get the feeling none of the four birds would be able to do that too well.

Anyways, like I said, fun past few months riding this roller coaster of hype and salt, but I'm getting off before the end. Hope to talk to y'all more and hope the hype stays fresh.

Cheers!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Great, now I'm gonna have to speedrun through SM in 2 weeks so I can get the mega ring which is probably way in the post game, just so I have a chance at the london vgc tournament. ;_;

Great, now I'm gonna have to speedrun through SM in 2 weeks so I can get the mega ring which is probably way in the post game, just so I have a chance at the london vgc tournament. ;_;
Any VGC tournaments taking place this year are going to still use the 2016 rules and ORAS carts. If the London tournament you want to go to is in December, you won't have to speedrun Sun/Moon since you won't be using Sun/Moon at the tournament.

Personally, I'm really happy that Mega Evolution is returning. I'm in the crowd that thinks Mega Evolution was a great idea (except for Mega Rayquaza, what was Game Freak thinking when they made it?), and made some previously pretty bad Pokemon really good (i.e. Altaria, Kangaskhan, Mawile, etc.)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Any VGC tournaments taking place this year are going to still use the 2016 rules and ORAS carts. If the London tournament you want to go to is in December, you won't have to speedrun Sun/Moon since you won't be using Sun/Moon at the tournament.
haha nope

Championship Series events will usePokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire until November 30, 2016. On December 1, 2016, the format will change to Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, and all video game players will compete using those games through the remainder of the Championship Season.
Europe gets the games on the 25th? Nov, and this london tournament is on the 9th-11th Dec. It's not a tiny tournament either; it's basically the equivalent of a nationals, except this is the only one europe is getting.

No I don't know what the hell is going on at TPCi either.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Lets wait and see if this is true... I mean, Pixelate Hyper Voice was very popular across certain formats over the last two years. Hyper Voice is just an example, and the two Pokemon are also examples from this gen who use this move. I wouldn't read too deeply into it yet. Soundproof blocking those moves is nothing new, and it may be explaining it using current examples.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
haha nope

Europe gets the games on the 25th? Nov, and this london tournament is on the 9th-11th Dec. It's not a tiny tournament either; it's basically the equivalent of a nationals, except this is the only one europe is getting.

Which tour is this? 'cause I highly doubt that it's UK nats or anything like that considering that it's normally sometime around may (meaning that there will be other events later on). Like, there will be more opportunities in Europe so I wouldn't get too worked up if you don't do overly well.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Which tour is this? 'cause I highly doubt that it's UK nats or anything like that considering that it's normally sometime around may (meaning that there will be other events later on). Like, there will be more opportunities in Europe so I wouldn't get too worked up if you don't do overly well.
Read the link. Nationals have been replaced by internationals, and europe only gets one instead of four.
I mean sure there will be other events but none will give out as many points (or as big of prizes) as this.

haha nope

What... They don't even list what is gonna be allowed or disallowed. This is pretty lame.

Read the link. Nationals have been replaced by internationals, and europe only gets one instead of four.
I mean sure there will be other events but none will give out as many points (or as big of prizes) as this.
Yeah, they changed how tournaments are done this year. It's also a change that doesn't really affect NA at all, since our region (US, Canada, Mexico) only had the US Nats, while Australia is mixed in with a few other countries (I think all of Asia. RIP unique Australia meta) and Europe just has one now.

Regionals are now more common instead of having a bunch done three months a year, so that can make up for less EU Nats.

Martin

Oh god I misinterpreted that when I read it earlier. WTF are these guys on, holding such an important event so early on?

not sure if this was posted,

(insert very large picture that was deleted to not make this post huge)

under the snorlax, isn't that an ultra beast? proof that ultra beasts work like pokemon?
Huh...that sure looks like it. Didn't notice that at first.

Edit: Yeah, closer look it is Mecha Maid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)