Media General Music Discussion Thread

One band that I've been listening to a lot more recently is Smash Mouth. No, I am not shitposting.
It sucks that Smash Mouth is nothing more than a Shrek meme now since they actually have a unique sound to them and compose some pretty solid stuff. Probably my favorite track to share, Walking on the Sun has a nice, chill vibe to it, and I'm always a sucker for a well placed saxophone. I'd recommend checking it out as well as Can't Get Enough of You Baby and Hang On. It's a lot different than what you'd expect Smash Mouth to be making (although the Internet has basically made it so that nothing but All Star is what people hear).

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hey so If your looking for some Studying music or background music, or really just something to listen to when you looking to chill out or sleep I would suggest Lo-Fi Chillhop. I would start with this mix. It's what intially got me into the genre and it still continues to sound amazing every time I listen to it.

Further more if you are looking for some lyrics I would go more the route of this soundcloud rapper I found. He's actually a lyrical genius imo and each of his songs tells a fantastic story. He isn't like most of those Soundcloud rappers with tattoos and shit. I'll link the song that me and my girlfriend listen to a lot when we are together.
Enjoy!:psyglad:

Alright, so there's this relatively new band out and they're actually good musicians. They're called Ghost! Their gimmick is awesome, their songs sound beautiful, and honestly their stage presence and their unique sound bring them the large popularity they're currently receiving.

Here, check out my favorite songs off their brand new album, Prequelle:

If you want to hear a heavier side of Ghost, check out their first album, Opus Eponymous. These guys have been nailing it. But yeah, as for what I've been listening to lately (other than Prequelle), it'd have to be Type O Negative's album Slow, Deep and Hard. This is one of my favorites:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just discovered a Canadian power metal band called Unleash the Archers, really fun listen, their lead vocalist, Britney Slayes, is bloody fantastic!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

^Listening to that ATM. Probably one of the best ballads (traditional definition) ever written, at least IMO.

Also I've been re-listening to some of Tchaikovsky's ballets over the past day or two (specifically selections from Swan Lake, The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty). Really solid stuff; if anyone has any other ballet music to recommend me, Tchaikovsky or otherwise, please do so because I can't get enough of this type of music.

I will take the opportunity and share some Brazilian songs that I really like, I think this exchange of ideas is cool and you could be open to discovering new cultures:

Roberta Campos e Nando Reis - De Janeiro a Janeiro (Video Oficial)
Tribalistas - Velha Infancia
Edu Ribeiro - Me Namora
D Black - 1 Minuto
Ivete Sangalo - Quando A Chuva Passar
Ana Carolina, Seu Jorge - É Isso Aí (The Blower's Daughter) (Ao Vivo)
Papas da Lingua - Eu Sei

Thank you guys and I hope you all enjoy the list! :')

#Socialization

Does anyone here listen to shoegaze by any chance? I’m looking for some suggestions outside of the loveless/mbv albums or lush/ride but don’t really know where to start; I don’t have anything unique to suggest except for maybe bloweyelashwish by lovesliescrushing, which is itself p derivative of mbv

- the mbv album from 2013 was p great, she found now is amazing

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
Does anyone here listen to shoegaze by any chance? I’m looking for some suggestions outside of the loveless/mbv albums or lush/ride but don’t really know where to start; I don’t have anything unique to suggest except for maybe bloweyelashwish by lovesliescrushing, which is itself p derivative of mbv

- the mbv album from 2013 was p great, she found now is amazing
cocteau twins - heaven or las vegas
flying saucer attack - s/t
slowdive - souvlaki
masudore - s/t
galaxie 500 - on fire

off the top of my head 5 pretty popular shoegaze / dream pop records worth checking out. tried to provide some differant sounds so you can explore more with ones that you fancy

Been listening to some Brasilian Lofi recently, specifically from a guy named GabrielMZero

Some good ones are
Ela Partiu
Cantando eu mando a tristeza embora
uma guitarra e algumas cenas bonitinhas
pro resto da vida
happy birthday

I also love to listen to bossa nova from people like Joao Gilberto, Caetano veloso, Gil, Vinicius de moraes, Tom Jobim
Some good ones are
Chega de Saudade
Desde que o samba e samba
Maquina de ritmo
aguas de marco
ela e carioca
agua de beber
a felicidade (too lazy to bust out portuguese keyboard so sorry for the spelling errors)

This thread should be used more often!!!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i am a HUGE strokes fan and i gotta say that they are one of the best bands ive listened to of the 21st century

Every album offers something different to the listener, from the emotional introspective lyrics of First Impressions of Earth to the melancholy of Is This It to the falsetto in Comedown Machine, they offer a deep, rich discography. I find myself exploring so many songs of theirs when I shuffle through my music, and they are a huge inspiration for my own musical path in life.

First Impressions is probably top 3 of my favorite albums, I don't think there's a single misplaced part in the album.

Should check out the Voidz too, Virtue is super sick and although there are several songs that are not easily accessible, it is one of those albums that requires a deep dive into rather than a one listen thru. Strongly suggest listening to songs like Pink Ocean, Call it Fate Call it Karma, Welcome to Japan, Oblivius, You Talk Way Too Much, Hard to Explain, 15 Minutes, Evening Sun, My Friend the Walls, the list goes on

Been on a Third Wave Ska kick the last year or so, always looking for new groups if anyone knows any - also found Bo Burnham and Lemon Demon, so comedic stuff is good too

Ive been super into of igorrr lately, ive known about him for a while but never took much interest until now interestingly, back then i just took it as bunch of snare spam with some drum here and there, kinda similar to goreshit, but i have to say it has definitely grown on me.
Here are two of the songs i listen the most:

I've also been rewatching/rereading berserk and coming back to hear these great hits from hirasawa is a blessing.
My favourite of course being forces, i swear i get hard everytime time i hear that chorus:

And other great themes from the 97 anime:

I've also been going through an edm "phase" which is peculiar giving that ive never gotten interested in that genre before, maybe this in conjuction with igorrr is a sign that im getting more "musically open minded" if that even is a thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)