Media General Music Discussion Thread

As much as I appreciate the new releases from DJ Khaled (featuring Drake), I cannot with a good conscience say that the songs were very good. Just thought I'd share my opinions here, as in my opinion I thought Drake sounded out of his element and really delivered poorly on both POPSTAR and GREECE. Thanks for reading this.

Not very impressed with Headie One's new release 'Only You Freestyle', specifically because of Drake's verse. Not sure what the deal has been as of late, but Drake has been a part of some very low quality music. He mentions something about an 'Arabic Ting' then states he looks like 'Youssef' or 'Hamza', which are, I guess, stereotypical Arabic names? He then goes on to speak a little bit of Arabic himself, where he doesn't appear to really be saying anything at all. In all seriousness, it's funny to me that Drake uttered 'Geez' at the end of his verse as if he had done something. Overall 1/10.

folklore is Taytay's best album. If you are a fan of indie-folk music like I am you will love this album. The majority of the songs were produced by Aaron Dessner and you can really hear his influence if you are familiar with The National's discography. It's introspective, has beautiful strings and pianos, and great vocals by Taylor. "exile" is my favorite track off the album. It's a beautiful duet featuring none other than the GOAT, Justin Vernon. I'd highly recommend people don't sleep on this. 9/10.

I would also recommend Logic's album No Pressure. I am not familiar with any of his older work so I cannot compare it to them, but it's full of great beats and production with some heavy influence from the likes of Kanye, OutKast, and 80's hip-hop icons like Q-Tip. Favorite tracks: "No Pressure," "Celebration," "man i is." 8/10

Last edited:
It was in 1986. But this LP (that was the old name of albums) is always faaaaabulous. I'm listening it just now.

I challenge you to stand still and don't follow the beat with your foot/fingers ;)

Last edited:

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
It was mentioned a few times but 100% What's Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware is among the likes of Sawayama as best album of the year, if I were to compare it to Future Nostalgia due to its disco vibes I'd say Future Nostalgia is a modern pop take on the disco era of music(hence the "future" in its name, very aptly named album btw) and What's Your Pleasure? is straight up gut-punch 80s synth Disco with some inspirations of other more modern dance genres to just complete the package of fun dance music that I wish Jessie was making to begin with. Also unlike Future Nostalgia who's weakest tracks are the last 2 making the closing of the album feel very anticlimactic, I think the weaker tracks in What's Your Pleasure?(though there aren't any I dislike) are more towards the middle of the album which is typically where they should be. Overall it's my 2nd favorite album as of 7/27

Folklore is imo Taylor's best album to date, 15/16 of the tracks are amazing even if it can be a lot to go through if you listen to it in a single sitting. Betty is just an absolutely amazing song(The harmonica :blobuwu:) , and story wise connects with the previous tracks Cardigan (CloudyWithAChance uwu) and August with each song being from the perspective of James, Betty, the girl James cheated on Betty with respectively. Nobody expected a folk album from Taylor especially post Reputation and Lover but HOLY HELL she delivered something magical and I hope this is a sign of things to come in her future. I was also extremely interested in her colab with Bon Iver who's voice def grew on me greatly in Exile and now I can't imagine the song without his rich deep tone.

Sawayama is the best album of the year and if Grammys doesn't give her best new artist and aoty then it's confirmed Scammys. I could literally go off on a rant but I'll have some self control and just say that she masterfully explored multiple genres without making her album lose cohesiveness(I mean ffs she literally has a metal song that is followed by a pussycat dolls inspired pop track about capitalism and still made it work) she really covered every base here and I consider every song on the album extremely noteworthy, even the songs that I personally have an issue with like Bad Friend having meh production for my tastes(though it's a song many people do like), and Tokyo Love Hotel falling in that area of really good but hard to remember compared to the tracks before it, are still really fucking good songs(the bridge in Bad Friend might be the best bridge of 2020 fight me) Chosen Family also made me cry so any song that has that power behind it always deserves special mention to me. Sawayama has a BANGING opener and a BANGING closure that ends with a sample of my favorite Beethoven sonata (Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 first movement) makes the album an absolute pleasure to listen to all the way through and is honestly WAY too fucking good to be a debut album.

oops I still ranted...moving on

Manic is also the album I have listened to the most this year despite me thinking it's slightly worse than Hopeless Fountain Kingdom sonically, Halsey really pulled through and her lyricism in Manic are the best she has put out. She keeps it real from beginning to end, though the interludes I feel are when the album really gets in the weaker areas, Alanis' interlude is good for the lesbian vibes though. We stan bi queen Halsey. Personally I'm not a big fan of Badlands but I feel Halsey has constantly been growing as an artist and I'm excited for her future projects.

I'm also extremely excited for Katy Perry's Smile album though it was delayed to the 28th of August instead of the 14th, Lana is also dropping in September so hopefully it's better than NFR was
Now if only Adele would confirm she's making an album, and Evanescence gives us a damn release date on Bitter Truth

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Last July 27, I posted in Facebook regarding some of my choral nostalgia hits. That day featured an arrangement of a Visayan song that talks about moving forward despite the adversities. Here's the video that happened to be my most favorite rendition when this choir performed it in Llangollen, Wales in July 2011:

Three days after posting that, I found out that the arranger of the work (who is the conductor / ethnic drum player in the video) passed away, which was definitely a sad moment for me and for the Filipino choral community. So, I actually etched the last part of that piece into the ending of this video as part of paying respects to the late choral conductor and composer/arranger.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to share some of my personal favourite songs and my favourite album here just in case anyone cares.

If you want a broader idea of what I'm into I would say that I just like a lot of "old" rock and electro-swing, while I like some hip hop and some pop; pop being one of those genres where something is either p good (Oasis, Travis, The Verve, George Ezra, Coldplay, and Ed Sheeran's first album count as "good" IMO, as well as some isolated songs, usually one hit wonders or songs I got addicted to from Fifa which probably arent that good) or really terrrible (basically everything else) but each to their own ig.

I will say that England has probably produced the same amount of good singers as they have committed war crimes against the Irish people, which is saying something about both the quality of English singers and the Glorious British Empire.

this project is one of the most gripping and unique albums i've heard all year, legit. beautiful interpollation of rap/r&b/soul/pop elements into catchy hooks w. good production. none of the songs really miss except awake for me. check it out for sureeee.

Tenshi

Just wanted to drop a recommendation, highly recommend I Disagree album by Poppy, it's not something I expected to be into but it's honestly one of the best of the year

Tenshi

Ive been on a big Tori Amos kick this past month. I normally have only listened to her in small gaps of time throughout the many years I've listened to her music( though she still ended up being largely influential to my tastes regardless of me not listening to her super often)
My favorite album of hers is def The Beekeeper, Parasol. The Power of Orange Knickers, and Sweet the Sting are an amazing opening for an album fit with catchy melodies and amazing instrumentation. Then the album hits Barons of Suburbia....wew literally the closing of that track makes the entire album. Tori's vocal delivery in the outro "I'm piecing a potion to combat your poison" is so powerful and it's on a giant crescendo and just feels amazing to listen to honestly.
Id also shoutout to her newest album Native Invader for having really solid tracks, my favorite being Cloud Riders.
And honestly it's my life goal to learn how to play the piano solo to Cornflake Girl, its a magical song.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to share some of my personal favourite songs and my favourite album here just in case anyone cares.

If you want a broader idea of what I'm into I would say that I just like a lot of "old" rock and electro-swing, while I like some hip hop and some pop; pop being one of those genres where something is either p good (Oasis, Travis, The Verve, George Ezra, Coldplay, and Ed Sheeran's first album count as "good" IMO, as well as some isolated songs, usually one hit wonders or songs I got addicted to from Fifa which probably arent that good) or really terrrible (basically everything else) but each to their own ig.

I will say that England has probably produced the same amount of good singers as they have committed war crimes against the Irish people, which is saying something about both the quality of English singers and the Glorious British Empire.
Can you recommend some electro swing?

Idk how many of you listen to memphis rap, but if you don't I would recommend it. It's an interesting section of rap that has a bunch of different styles from horrorcore to the newer aged stuff that is called trillwave and phonk. It's a more darker toned style of music but it's really nice.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this just popped up on my rotation, haven't heard it for a few years, and i think it could be my favourite club tune of all time. the drop is so intense!

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
If I were to base my favorites from this old post of mine, time to add (and update) more choral repertoire after over four years!

#: 365 - Daniel Elder

A: And So It Goes - Billy Joel, arr. Bob Chilcott (performed by King's Singers)

B: Baba Yetu - Christopher Tin (performed by Soweto Gospel Choir)

C: Cikala Le Pong Pong - traditional Pakpaknese, arr. Ken Steven (performed by Parahyangan Catholic University Choir)

D: Daluyong - Ily Matthew Maniano (performed by Philippine Madrigal Singers)
Honorable Mention: Da Coconut Nut - Ryan Cayabyab (performed by Smokey Mountain)

E: Even When He Is Silent - Kim Andre Arnesen (performed by St. Olaf Choir)

F: Flight - Daniel Elder (from The Greatest of These; performed by Matthew Curtis)
Honorable Mention: Fáilte don Éan - Michael McGlynn (performed by Anúna)

G: Gapas - Eudenice Palaruan (from Pundayaw hi Apu; performed by Ateneo College Glee Club)
Honorable Mention: The Ground - Ola Gjeilo (performed by Central Washington University Chamber Choir)

H*: Hinbarra - Michael McGlynn (performed by Anúna)

I: Indodana - traditional isiXhosa, arr. Michael Barrett and Ralf Schmitt (performed by University of Praetoria Camerata)

J: Jubilate Deo - Saunder Choi (performed by Aleron)

K: Kaisa-Isa Niyan - Nilo Alcala II (performed by Philippine Madrigal Singers)

L: Lullaby - Daniel Elder (from Three Nocturnes; performed by Westminster Choir)
Honorable Mention: Leron, Leron Sinta - traditional Tagalog, arr. Saunder Choi (performed by Brigham Young University Singers)

M: Manifesto - David Lang (performed by Cantus)
Honorable Mention: Matibay - Von De Guzman (performed by Ateneo Chamber Singers)

N: Nomad's Carol - Ily Matthew Maniano (performed by Aleron)
Honorable Mention: Nearer, My God, to Thee - Sarah Adams and Lowell Mason, arr. James Stevens (performed by Brigham Young University Vocal Point)

O: O Dakilang Hiwaga - Gianpaolo Eleria (performed by Aleron)
Honorable Mention: Oremus - Urmas Sisask (from Gloria Patri; performed by The Chamber Choir Eesti Projekt)

P: A Parting Gift - music by yours truly (performed by Aleron)
Honorable Mention: Please Stay - Jake Runestad (performed by Capital University Chapel Choir)

Q*: Quem Vidistis Pastores - Francis Poulenc (from Quatre Motets pour le temps Noel, performed by Robert Shaw Festival Singers)

R: The Rose - Ola Gjeilo (performed by the Choir of Royal Holloway)

S: Sleepsong - Rolf Løvland, arr. Desmond Earley (performed by University College Dublin Scholars)
Honorable Mention: Sakura - Naotaro Moriyama, Kaito Okachimachi, arr. yours truly (performed by Boscorale)

T: Tango with God - Ysaye Barnwell (performed by Cantus)

U: Ühte laulu tahaks laulda - Veljo Tormis (from Kaksikpühendus; performed by Lunds Studentsångare)
Honorable Mention: Ubi Caritas - Ola Gjeilo (performed by Central Washington University Chamber Choir)

V: Varjele, Jumala, soasta - Veljo Tormis (performed by Yokohama National University Glee Club)

W: Wonder Tidings - traditional, arr. Stephen Paulus (from Three Nativity Carols; performed by University of Utah Singers)

X: (none)

Y: (none)

Z: (none)

I listen to rock in lots of subgenres. From blues rock to folk rock, from hard rock to heavy metal, from symphonic metal to grunge, from alternative rock to glamrock, from psychedelic rock to punk rock.

Favourite artists/bands... Queen, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Ronnie James Dio, Guns N' Roses, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Fleetwood Mac, Motörhead, The Rolling Stones, Donovan, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Nightwish, Within Temptation, The Cranberries, Soundgarden, Fairport Convention, Mott The Hoople, The Who, Bruce Spingsteen, Elton John, Free, Paul Rodgers, Bad Company, The Beatles, Blackmore's Night, AC/DC, The Doors, The Yardbirds, The Cure, Focus, Foo Fighters, Janis Joplin, Lou Reed, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Nine Inch Nails, Pixies, R.E.M., Triggerfinger, The Verve and many, many more.

My favourite musician ever? Brian May, guitarist of Queen. By far. When I think about my favourite Queen songs... Mostly songs written by him. Mostly heavy rock stuff with lots of guitar awesomeness. And I also love his solo work, and collaborations on album with Black Sabbath, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Motörhead and others. And let's not forget live with The Darkness, My Chemical Romance, Def Leppard, Mott The Hoople and Alice Cooper, making already great songs even better.

Favourite vocalists? Top 5:
1. Freddie Mercury (Queen)
2. Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath)
3. Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)
4. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
5. Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

The last song I listened to? Something I would recommend to anyone who is even remotely interested in rock and/or metal:

Last edited:
A genre I have found myself venturing into a lot recently is early alternative. It really amazes me how much influence artists like Lou Reed have had over the years, and I personally believe reed to be the most underrated musician of all time. I have friends who are not really fans of alternative who say that these songs are very acceptable, and I'd agree with that assessment tbh. some good examples are Pale Blue Eyes by the Velvet Underground, Perfect Day - Lou Reed, Life On Mars - David Bowie (dodgy whether that's alternative though), Oh Sweet Nuthin' - The Velvet Undeground and Lust for Life -Iggy Pop are all incredibly enjoyable to listen to in my opinion. If you're the type of person who prefers to listen to albums rather than individual songs, I'd recommend Loaded - The Velvet Underground and Transformer - Lou Reed as very good and very accessible early alternative albums. Transformer probably features all the best known alternative of the time, such as Satellite of Love and Take a Walk on the Wild Side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 1)