Genesect

its probably been said, but since i really have no input since everything's been said, what is the real reason to use genesect over scizor, other than movepool? it still has more or less same checks and counters, except scizor gets priority and an arguably better ability. download is only good if you can predict right. all the opponent has to do is switch on your predicted switch, or mess with the ivs a little. (granted, its still a good ability)

and since scizor and genesect are so similar, albeit, blissey+skarmory similar, will ou be seeing a core reminiscent of 4th gen ubers rayquaza and salamence?

EDIT: ok, genesect is like a special scizor. still, no priority and a trollish speed that basically has to always run flame charge or scarf
That is not how download works, if you see some of the logs in the DW Darkrai Tournament, you will notice that download activates the moment Genesect enters battle. For example, if genesect switches into Scizor while you switch to specially defensive Heatran, Genesect will obtain a +1 SpAtk boost if Genesect was the first to switch in.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
this whole idea of genesect vs scizor has been discussed here so i won't repeat myself entirely: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4315960#post4315960

summary of what i said in that discussion: genesect != scizor. i shake my head at the people who consider genesect a "specially offensive scizor". that blatantly ignores several differences between their standard sets: genesect is fast where as scizor is usually slow, scizor is bulkier (due to HP investment - yes we already know genesect has better base special defenses but i discussed in that thread how few genesect invest in bulk compared to scizor) and scizor has priority. scizor will be displaced by genesect for sure, but for the same reason as EVERY OTHER MON in ou: genesect is good, and when a good mon comes in, other guys gotta shuffle over to make room on the bench. it's hardly because genesect is entirely superior to scizor in some way. the only thing they share is bug/steel typing, and u-turn. those two factors alone hardly make two mons directly comparable; otherwise shouldn't we also be comparing with volt switch forretress? obviously they're different mons and they do completely different things

edit: @below, i'd probably only run ebelt if i wanted to bluff scarf; i'd rather run LO if i was running a rock polish set or something like that

Was an Expert Belt set deemed not viable?

I use an E-Belt Genesect on my Dream World Sand team, and it's pretty good actually.

326 Speed isn't too bad either.

Yeah I agree with alkinesthetase that Genesect and Scizor are completly differnt mon's, they both have differnt checks and counters. Genesect is faster and has a better special movepool. Scizor is generally have better bulk due to HP investment, prioroity and lets not forget recovery in the form of roost. Scizor also makes a better set up sweeper imo.

xenu

Banned deucer.
I've been having moderate to high success with a Sub/3attack set using expert belt, which capitalizes on Genesect's fantastic type coverage:

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Nature: Modest/Timid
~ Substitute
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Bug Buzz/Hidden Power Ground

Of course Genesect and Scizor are different, but being the same type, and having the same 4x fire weakness, means you're going to pick one or the other for your team, which is why Scizor usage is going to fall. Genesect is really good, and some teams are going to pass on Scizor because they want to use Genesect. I've been playtesting Genesect, and I have to say the thing is an absolute monster with a Choice Scarf. I've been really excited for Genesect's release, and so far it doesn't disappoint.

I actually had this set in mind, but keep in mind this is usually for Politoed on your team

Genesect @ Leftovers
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/6 Sp.Def
Nature: Modest/Mild
~ Bug Buzz/U-Turn/Flamethrower
~ Thunder
~ Ice Beam
~ Rock Polish

See here we have something that you can actually use to sweep...with a little help...so long as you have rain up and a +1 Sp.Atk and +2 Speed you can take out ALOT of stuff

What do you guys think?

Looks like AgiliZ with FAR superior typing but slightly lesser power. Given that you resist or only take neutral damage from the most popular priority attacks (Bullet Punch>ESpeed>Mach Punch) which shut AgiliZ down hard, I'd say it's a very potent late-game sweeper.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I think a mixed set will be best for him, because none of his special attacks do much damage to the pink blobs. Snorlax will also be an issue for this same reason. Of course, having a strong fighting type on your team is also an easy fix to this problem.

There really is no need to try and hit everything in the tier, team support is good enough.
Anyone try Focus sash genesect to bluff a scarf? Works really well and gets surprise ko's.
I try not to reveal it until mid game were I can just break everything down with genesect's amazing coverage.

I have swept teams countless of times with the Rock Polish set. Just slap a Life Orb, come in and get the Sp Atk. boost an start to hurt basically everything.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
as others have noted, a choiced sect should probably be running uturn, boltbeam and one of either fthrow or bug buzz. moves like hp ground are only really good for luring heatran - they're generally inferior to fthrow otherwise

EDIT: o_O wonder why people were discussing superpower then. duly noted

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Where is everyone getting the idea that Genesect learns Superpower? It's not in its tutor list. It doesn't even learn any Fighting-type moves at all (bar HP Fighting).

Sorry to bust your bubble but beside Nite, your set is also stopped by the Therians in rain and Genesect doesn't learn Fire Blast at all.

tehy

Banned deucer.
And blissey/chansey. And zapdos if anyone still uses it. And tentacruel. And gliscor, hell.

It's also stopped by the therians in general, especially considering landorus-t also stops it. an LO fire blast shouldn't KO any of them and they should probably KO back.

Geez, People are theorymoning about something which they havent try it out, Fire Blast Genesect? Check out their move they could learn please.

I appologize, I assumed as it learns Ice Beam + Blizzard, Thunderbolt + Thunder, and Flamethrower, that it would also learn Fire Blast too :p That's what I get for mis-reading.

In other news, after doing some calcs, Choice banded Landorus-T (the only type I've seen so far and also most likely to KO back) Is 100% OHKO'd by life orb'd Flamethrower (Assuming you have the obligitory SR up and there is no rain).

I do admit that it has a lot of faults, what would you suggest to improve it? :)

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, if they've got SR up and you've taken an LO hit, landorus T can probably finish you.

I don't know, it's sort of a niche thing, there can be no "improvement". It does what it does. Whether or not it's good is debatable, but changing it would just make it different.

So, What can actually reliable deal with this guy? My list consists of:

Bulky Rotom-H,
Heatran
Vaporeon, it is shaky, but with a spread of 252HP/224Def/32S.Def/ with a bold nature nets it an attack boost, to which point thunderbolt is only a 3HKO. +1 U-turn does even less (with a naive nature, mind you) You can even scout it's move with protect. A bonus is that with a naive nature, Vaporeon can 2HKO after Stealth Rock. You need Surf unfortunately to guarantee the 2HKO, but it's there. It can't come in a +1 Thunderbolt obviously.
Chansey, +1 U-turn doesn't even come close to 2HKOing it. Blissey fares decently, being 3HKO'd only by a +1 U-turn. Both of them often carry protect, which is a bonus.
Terrakion in Sand is also a good check. You might have to EV it so it gets an attack boost though.
Unfortunately, Gengar is 2HKO'd by anything that isn't U-turn or Bug Buzz.

Any others I'm missing?

So, What can actually reliable deal with this guy? My list consists of:

Bulky Rotom-H,
Heatran
Vaporeon, it is shaky, but with a spread of 252HP/224Def/32S.Def/ with a bold nature nets it an attack boost, to which point thunderbolt is only a 3HKO. +1 U-turn does even less (with a naive nature, mind you) You can even scout it's move with protect. A bonus is that with a naive nature, Vaporeon can 2HKO after Stealth Rock. You need Surf unfortunately to guarantee the 2HKO, but it's there. It can't come in a +1 Thunderbolt obviously.
Chansey, +1 U-turn doesn't even come close to 2HKOing it. Blissey fares decently, being 3HKO'd only by a +1 U-turn. Both of them often carry protect, which is a bonus.
Terrakion in Sand is also a good check. You might have to EV it so it gets an attack boost though.
Unfortunately, Gengar is 2HKO'd by anything that isn't U-turn or Bug Buzz.

Any others I'm missing?
Volcarona is the best switch-in to Genesect if Rocks aren't up, thanks to its ability. As a Genesect user, you have to be careful of spamming U-turn around Volcarona, because the 30% burn chance from its Flame Body seriously nerfs U-turn, your most important move.
Ninetales can take anything Genesect throws at it, although it won't enjoy switching into SR repeatedly. It has the added bonus of eliminating Genesect's preferred Rain.
Gastrodon with Defense investment handles Genesect reasonably well, barring Download-boosted Bug Buzz.
Infernape has a 4x resistance to U-turn, and Genesect's best move against it is Thunderbolt. Scarfed variants can outspeed and threaten to OHKO with Fire move of choice.
Toxicroak also has a 4x Bug resistance, and can threaten to set up Sub/Bulk Up/SD while Genesect switches out.
Tentacruel resists everything Genesect has, besides Thunderbolt, and won't be 2HKOed thanks to its excellent Special Defense. It wishes it had more reliable recovery, but Genesect is often paired with Rain, activating Tentacruel's Rain Dish - just beware of Thunder.
Jirachi with Special Defense investment in Rain doesn't like taking repeated U-turns, but can tank Genesect's Special moves with ease.
Metagross is rare, but its great Defense and Steel-typing allow it to take on Genesect in Rain. It lacks recovery, but deserves a thought if your team also has troubles against Tornadus-T and/or Lati@s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)