Multifaction/FFA Genius Game - Grand Final - Main Match 3 (Draft Mafia)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
- 8 Players Remaining? -

After a significant hiatus and not dropping any players on the net, it’s time to get this show back on the road with the next challenge - Fantasy Baseball Auction! Yes, I officially love the strategy behind auctions.

This one is pretty simple - for the basics of how auctions work, see Main Match 10. The basic gist of this one is this:
  • Everyone has 250$ to buy 12 players, one at each of C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, and RP, and 3 each at OF and SP (these are roster positions - you don't need to know what these stand for or mean, just know how many of each you need). Any dollars left over at the end of the auction are lost forever.
  • You may nominate for 0$ (therefore all dollars you spend are ‘discretionary’)
  • You may buy an additional 5$ for 1 garnet after the first, third, sixth, and tenth full rounds of nominations (in other words, after picks 8, 24, and 48, and 80). You may also spend these garnets before the draft begins, though there is no advantage to doing so.
  • You must buy a player at every position and you must only buy one player at each position
  • All players that you buy have pre-set statistics that you are buying. The rundown of these statistics can be found in the accompanying spreadsheet here: Spreadsheet - Expect to Refer to this Frequently
  • Expect to reference the above spreadsheet frequently, as you would be wise to do some numeric analysis of your own prior to the draft to determine relative player values and hammer out some draft strategy. Also expect to be on that sheet during the draft itself, as I've set it up so that players can track their progress in terms of dollars spent, current standings, current team stats, and their current roster makeup. Familiarize yourself with this spreadsheet because you'll want to be able to know where you stand at a glance during the auction - it'll be fast-paced and you won't want to be misunderstanding what things mean during it, since I won't be able to help you out at that point. The values in the blue cells in columns L:M of tab [All Players] are the only ones I will be changing - these cells have some test values in them currently, so that you can see how the sheet updates itself and what to expect from it. If anyone would like to request updates to the blue cells just to see how the tracking reacts please let me know.
  • Ultimately there are ten categories that you will be judged on: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), and Batting Average (BA) for hitters, as well as Wins (W), Strikeouts (K, don’t ask me why), Saves (SV), Earned-Run Average (ERA), and (Walks+Hits)/Innings Pitched (WHIP). Ultimately you need to know absolutely nothing about what any of these statistics represent or mean outside of the following:
    • The following seven categories are cumulative, meaning that you simply add up the totals of all of the players you have and that is your final score for the category, with the higher the score the better: R, HR, RBI, SB, W, K, SV
    • The following category is a ratio determined by taking the raw average across all hitters equally, with the highest ratio being the best: BA
    • The following categories are ratios determined by taking the weighted average of your SP ratios multiplied by 3 and your RP ratios multiplied by 1 (so, your SP ratios are worth 90% of your total ratios, as you must buy 3 SP and 1 RP), with the lowest average being the best: ERA, WHIP
  • In the end, you will get 8 points for being best in a category, and 1 point for being worst. You will add up your points across all ten categories, and whoever has the most points will win. The tiebreaker for all positions will be whoever started with the most garnets.
  • The rewards for this task are as follows:
    • 1st: 10 Garnets + a Token of Life + a Token of Life to give to one other player that is not the Death match candidate
    • 2nd: 4 Garnets + a Token of Life
    • 3rd: 6 Garnets
    • 4th: 4 Garnets
    • 5th: 3 Garnets
    • 6th: 2 Garnets
    • 7th: 1 Garnet
    • 8th: Death match candidate
You may of course collaborate with your fellow players during the auction. The auction will be held from 2-5 PM PST on Tuesday, July 3rd. There will be 96 picks (8 players with 12 picks per player) and I will not wait at all for anyone - you will have the following time limits and you will nominate players automatically for 0$ if you miss your turn / will not be able to bid once time is past for any reason. I will be extremely strict on this since we have to get through a lot of picks in 3 hours:
  • Nominations: 20 seconds
  • Time to bid: 15 seconds
  • Time extended if bid within 5 seconds of closing: to 5 seconds
  • You may only bid on a single player up to three times for any reason, and you cannot bid on a player if you do not bid within the initial 15 second window (consider this a closing out period). In other words, you cannot sit by and wait if there is a player you want. You must bid aggressively to get him from the get-go or you will either find yourself locked out or unable to raise the bid due to not having any bids left for that player. Keep these rules in mind because I will not be bending them whatsoever.
If there are any questions please post them here. Additionally, please note that attendance at this auction is not strictly mandatory - if you cannot make it, you may send me a list of bids to make on all players. When those players are nominated, if you do not yet have a player at that position, I will announce the highest bid from these ‘auto-bid’ lists. I would still recommend that you all attend anyway since you will probably be at a disadvantage, even given the nature of this challenge.

Please note that the values listed in the spreadsheet are only there to provide a snapshot into how the draft will be run. All of the blue cells on tab [All Players] will be cleared prior to the start of the draft - these are just to give you an idea of what to expect once people start buying players.

I will be showing up at 1:45 PST on Tuesday to the Circus discord to walk through anything that is outstanding with the players, or to help demonstrate how the draft spreadsheet works so that players can better track their own status in comparison to other teams. I would recommend everyone get there at that time if possible, and bear in mind that we will be starting at 2 PM PST sharp regardless of if you show up or not. If you do not show up, I will be auto-bidding the following amounts for you:
  • For a first-ranked player at a position: 40
  • For a second-ranked player: 35
  • Etc.
  • For positions where you draft three players (OF and SP), the auto-bidding will instead be set at 40 for the first 3, 35 for the next 3, etc. Obviously you won’t bid more than you have, you won’t automatically spend any garnets, and your auto-bids will be bound by which positions you still have open. I would prefer to not have to do this for anyone, and will frankly consider just dropping anyone who doesn’t show up AND doesn’t submit a auto-bid list.

Good luck all!

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
I will be taking a look at this. If anybody wishes to ally with me my DM's and Discord are open.

Looks like my draft league experience is about to pay off.

UncleSam

Leading this village
So it turns out I'm picking up someone from the airport at 2:30 PST, could people do the draft earlier tomorrow (say, 12 PST?) instead? If not I'll re-schedule for Wednesday.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Ok you know what

You all have 24 hours to fill out this survey. List your name next to the times that you cannot make. I will take the time that has the fewest conflicts, and if there are an equal number of conflicts then I will take whichever one is most convenient for me. I don't expect everyone will be able to make it, thus why you can submit auto-bids in advance.

If you do not fill this out in the next 24 hours then that is on you. You have until 3 PM PST tomorrow, Tuesday, to fill this out, at which point I will lock it and finalize a time.

Da Letter El zorbees apricity CaffeineBoost Blazade VigilanteVigoroth LightWolf ItzViper482

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Ok you know what

You all have 24 hours to fill out this survey. List your name next to the times that you cannot make. I will take the time that has the fewest conflicts, and if there are an equal number of conflicts then I will take whichever one is most convenient for me. I don't expect everyone will be able to make it, thus why you can submit auto-bids in advance.

If you do not fill this out in the next 24 hours then that is on you. You have until 3 PM PST tomorrow, Tuesday, to fill this out, at which point I will lock it and finalize a time.
Alright. In the meantime, mind if I ask about the OF positions? On the sheet there are borders that separate OF1-OF8, OF9-OF18 and OF-19-OF24. When we pick our three OF's, do we need to have one from each of those three sections or can it be any three we want?

Same question with SP's but they don't have the borders that I mentioned for OF.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Alright. In the meantime, mind if I ask about the OF positions? On the sheet there are borders that separate OF1-OF8, OF9-OF18 and OF-19-OF24. When we pick our three OF's, do we need to have one from each of those three sections or can it be any three we want?

Same question with SP's but they don't have the borders that I mentioned for OF.
Nope, you can draft SP1 / SP2 / SP3 if you want to pay for it. The borders are just to give people an idea of the cutoffs they should be aiming for.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Guys please read the rules. The entries there are PLACEHOLDERS meant to show how the tracking sheet works. No one has bought anything yet and the entires there already will be removed once the draft starts.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Apologies to itzviper, but there were only two times at which one person had a conflict, and the Sunday time is easier for me. So, I am setting the draft to be from 3-6 PM PST on Sunday, July 8th. Please plan to get there at least 15 minutes early so I can run through the rules etc. and show everyone how things will work in person.

ItzViper482, please let me know if you need help setting up autobids for this task.

Apologies to itzviper, but there were only two times at which one person had a conflict, and the Sunday time is easier for me. So, I am setting the draft to be from 3-6 PM PST on Sunday, July 8th. Please plan to get there at least 15 minutes early so I can run through the rules etc. and show everyone how things will work in person.

ItzViper482, please let me know if you need help setting up autobids for this task.
i said i could make 3-6pm pst on sunday, O_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)