#genvuu Challenge #3 - Rock Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
1804 with some obvious choices

As others have mentioned using, I too used a specs Yanmega, spiker Froslass, and awesome endgame sweeper Sharpedo. These there heroes were augmented by a support Registeel, a slightly bulkier subpunch Golurk to help Froslass keep hazards up, and a CB Azumarill who I'd never ever used before but man it does wonders with a few hazards down!

As ChrisIsMe pointed out, there are no available spinblockers worth wasting a valuable team slot on, so I didn't. Sometimes there was nothing I could do to prevent rocks from going up, but just as often SpecsMega doesn't even need more than those three precious switch ins to get the job done. Not going to bore with calcs, but with hazards down even the most specially defensive Zapdos is 2HKOd, and Snorlax is only forcing you out once before it falls to 2HKO range. Specsmega is certainly deserving of more usage (not to mention is amazing built in utility to wall both of Hera's STABs with no defensive investment)

Sharpedo is great per usual, paired very well with Azumarill because if one can only weaken you, the other can take you down. Azumarill has that faux speed in Aqua Jet so he sometimes acted as my late game cleaner. I gave him Superpower and enough speed to outrun support Empoleon because those things are incredibly annoying to my team, and it usually meant a OHKO on turn 1 + no rocks!

Golurk was a bit of a wild card, but as I tend to suicide Froslass I needed another ghost to spinblock, I won't win anything without hazards. He is also some pretty niche uses that most teams can benefit from, like countering Heracross (barring Night Slash), providing an electric immunity, and a flawless switch in to Snorlaxes lacking a coverage move, who then have to decide between switching out and giving Golurk a free sub, or eating a strong EQ/FPunch as it whirlwinds.

Registeel because I'm a fan and it counters Raikou and cripples Zapdos and I needed both of those things. It unfortunately is a huge failure against bulky water types, which was this teams biggest struggle. I never went for Lanturn, because while I'm sure he walls Milotic and Blastoise and Suicune all day, he doesn't quite strike the fear into their hearts that I wanted (also can it even beat down Milo and CM Cune with its weak attacks?)

I ended up just playing super sensitively with Yanmega when the team had a Suicune and Milotic, and to never allowing them a free turn to heal. a few switch ins with hazards and they were in KO range of things. But yea, bulky waters, especially the recovering ones, were my biggest issue. I considered Ammonguss and Tangrowth, but just havent gotten around to testing either. My biggest grievance against these options is that unlike Roserade/Shaymin/Zapdos, they are slower have to deal with the threat of TWO ice beams

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
how do you not get swept by heat wave zapdos?

i've managed around them with rotom h and lanturn. i've actually considered running volt switch on lanturn, since i could get two hits in and lanturn would be taking every attack

Registeel is my consistent Zapdos switch in, not 2HKOd by LO Heat Wave and not really threatened by defensive kinds. I usually paralyze it, set up rocks, then die, but a paralyzed offensive Zapdos is pretty much a dead Zapdos, espeically after three turns of LO recoil. Those that are switching out to avoid TWave just means losing 25% more from rocks Golurk also hits for a solid 50% with Shadow Punch if needed in a pinch. Certainly a threat but not one that has ever really stood out to me as a problem

edit: I also thought about volt switch lanturn but I didnt like that my only way to hit waters meant Lanturn was switching out, when the reason I probably brought him in was to wall them in the first place. I worry that it wouldnt only take one turn of seeing that my Lanturn is packing a measly base 70 power electric STAB before Milo and Cune decided it wasnt worth switching out of.

ss234

bop.
I'm at around 1500 now, with a fairly decent team. I'd like to show you guys some of the mons I've been using:

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp

Spiritomb makes for a great revenge killer in the current metagame, and is one of the few hard-counters to OTR Cofagrigus thanks to Pursuit and Sucker Punch. This set is my favourite, as being locked in on 1 move such as a Pursuit means that things like SD Heracross and things like Mienshao get a free substitute or SD or something like that can set-up all over your face. Pokemon like Mienshao and Heracross really appreciate having Spiritomb around, as it can get rid of or weaken their counters, like the aforementioned Cofagrigus and Slowbro, who takes heavy damage from Pursuit or Sucker Punch. Will-O-Wisp stops him from becoming set-up bait in front of Cobalion, although the combination of Choice Band and Trick can achieve much the same purpose with things like Gligar and Slowbro, crippling them for the rest of the match.

Braviary (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SDef / 64 Spd
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Braviary actually makes for a very surprising and effective wall-breaker. Once Braviary gets that sub up, many defensive teams will start to struggle, as Slowbro can't break his sub with scald, Gligar can't do anything what so ever, and the only way Suicune can do to him is phaze him out with Roar. The ev's allow him to take 2 Scald's from Slowbro and 2 Lava Plum's from defensive Arcanine. The great thing about this Braviary set is that it sets up all over it's normal switch ins, and then starts an almost impossible-to-stop sweep. Bronzong, for example, is normally a great switch in to Braviary, however this set can just PP stall Bronzong's Gyro Ball pp with SubRoost, and eventually finish it off with Brave Bird. Braviary should definitely be used more-it is a very effective wall-breaker.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Endure
- Reversal
- Rock Slide
- Mach Punch

And now for the star of the team. Hitmonlee has saved me many a time, and once Spiritomb and Braviary have done it's job, then Hitmonlee is almost impossible to stop. Have fun walling this beast-a full-power Reversal actually 1HKO's Nidoqueen after SR. The IV's may seem weird, but you want Hitmonlee to get to 1HP when ever he gets hit by a move, and these IV's and nature allow that to happen more easily. He has quite a few counters, but not as many as Heracross. OTR Cofagrigus is obviously the main one, and both Slowbro and Gligar beat him with ease too. That's why he is paired with Braviary and Spiritomb, as they both are able to eliminate his counters.

The credit for this set goes to Molk I think. Reversal and Endure is obvious and Naughty outspeeds Modest/Adamant Kingdra in the rain. Liechi Berry boosts his attack to stupendous levels, while Rock Slide hits the likes of Zapdos and Togekiss very hard indeed. Mach Punch stops the likes of Honchkrow from finishing his sweep prematurely, however Earthquake can be used for some reason or another(I can't remember which-maybe hitting Golurk).

Overall, Hitmonlee is a boss and should be used much, much more. As should the other two. But Hitmonlee more.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Endure
- Reversal
- Rock Slide
- Mach Punch
Wait, we have access to liechi berry now? Or am I playing in the wrong format? I had started to use hitmonlee for my challenge myself, but with the fake-out normal gem combo...

Currently at 1743 with a HO team. Froslass is still great, I don't know why this thing is below 30 usage. Sets up at least one layer of spikes and get a kill with destiny bond. Also, Lilligant is so good. Why it isn't uu is beyond me. The best set up move alongside sleep powder and it has also a nice speed stat. Allowing him to outspeed Heracross is really good.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Wait, we have access to liechi berry now? Or am I playing in the wrong format? I had started to use hitmonlee for my challenge myself, but with the fake-out normal gem combo...
Yes, we have access to all the pinch berries, so Hitmonlee with Liechi berry is perfectly fine.

how do you not get swept by heat wave zapdos?

i've managed around them with rotom h and lanturn. i've actually considered running volt switch on lanturn, since i could get two hits in and lanturn would be taking every attack
I'm at a 1782 rating with that exact thing. Toxic/Heal Beal/Scald/Volt Switch Lanturn is a kind of awkward but functional set. I've considered switching Scald for Protect to just get more stally, especially because Rotom-H has Will-O, but I think Scald works better.

Due to lack of available spinners, I've also been using Magic Bounce Xatu in conjunction with speed boost life orb Yanmega, and those two make a nice pair.

Azumarill and Hitmonlee also work together nicely as an offensive pair, though there is a notable lack of Cofag stopping power, which I normally take down by a lot of VoltSwitching between Lanturn and Rotom.

Of course, my team isn't the best. I just get lucky a lot. I've beaten a Trick Room team with Speed Boost Yanmega (the guy was REALLY greedy), I've won with only Xatu against a para'd Bronzong and para'd Azumarill by spamming U-Turn, and I've also beaten two guys with Sharpedo by using Fake Out on Hitmonlee without them realizing if they protected they'd win. I think the pure wtf factor of my team is half of why I'm doing so well.

Nas

Banned deucer.
Well there was a big red block letter message on the leaderboard page for the past week warning of another ladder reset, so no, he's probably not kidding.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Why didn't anyone tell me? Smfh.

Anyway, yeah just start over keep going until the 26th I guess....

Nas

Banned deucer.
I'm just going to leave this log here because it features a fantastic revenge-killer that has gone under the radar all this time. To the select few who have already been introduced to this ruthless killing machine but for whatever reason doubted its potential, this should serve as something of an eye-opener for you.

Regina Phalange joined.
sado joined.
Format: UU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Moody Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Regina Phalange's team: Froslass / Heracross / Diglett / Milotic / Honchkrow / Bronzong
sado's team: Virizion / Cofagrigus / Chandelure / Arcanine / Ambipom / Dusclops
Battle between Regina Phalange and sado started!
Regina Phalange sent out Froslass!
sado sent out Ambipom!
Turn 1

Korl joined.
The foe's Ambipom used U-turn!
It's not very effective... Froslass lost 12% of its health!
sado called Ambipom back!
sado sent out Chandelure!
Froslass used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!
Turn 2

Froslass used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of the foe's team!
The foe's Chandelure used Fire Blast!
It's super effective! Froslass lost 88% of its health!
The foe's Chandelure's Fire Blast was disabled!
The foe's Chandelure lost some of its HP!
Froslass fainted!
Regina Phalange sent out Diglett!
Turn 3

Diglett used Earthquake!
It's super effective! The foe's Chandelure lost 90% of its health!
The foe's Chandelure fainted!
sado sent out Virizion!
The foe's Virizion is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 4

Regina Phalange called Diglett back!
Regina Phalange sent out Heracross!
The foe's Virizion used Leaf Blade!
It's not very effective... Heracross lost 33% of its health!
The foe's Virizion lost some of its HP!
Heracross restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 5

The foe's Virizion used Stone Edge!
Heracross lost 47% of its health!
The foe's Virizion lost some of its HP!
Heracross used Megahorn!
The foe's Virizion lost 64% of its health!
The foe's Virizion fainted!
sado sent out Cofagrigus!
The foe's Cofagrigus is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 6

Heracross used Swords Dance!
Heracross's Attack sharply rose!
The foe's Cofagrigus used Toxic!
Heracross was badly poisoned!
The foe's Cofagrigus restored HP using its Leftovers!
Heracross was hurt by poison!
Turn 7

Heracross used Stone Edge!
The foe's Cofagrigus lost 78% of its health!
The foe's Cofagrigus used Haze!
All stat changes were eliminated!
Turn 8

sado called Cofagrigus back!
sado sent out Dusclops!
The foe's Dusclops is hurt by the spikes!
The foe's Dusclops is exerting its pressure!
Heracross used Megahorn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Dusclops lost 29% of its health!
Turn 9

Heracross used Megahorn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Dusclops lost 25% of its health!
The foe's Dusclops used Seismic Toss!
Heracross lost 14% of its health!
Heracross fainted!
Regina Phalange sent out Honchkrow!
Turn 10

Honchkrow used Brave Bird!
The foe's Dusclops lost 30% of its health!
Honchkrow is damaged by recoil!
Honchkrow lost some of its HP!
The foe's Dusclops fainted!
Honchkrow's Moxie raised its Attack!
sado sent out Ambipom!
The foe's Ambipom is hurt by the spikes!
Turn 11

The foe's Ambipom used Fake Out!
Honchkrow lost 33% of its health!
Honchkrow flinched!
The foe's Ambipom restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 12

Honchkrow used Sucker Punch!
The foe's Ambipom lost 90% of its health!
Honchkrow lost some of its HP!
The foe's Ambipom fainted!
Honchkrow's Moxie raised its Attack!
sado sent out Arcanine!
The foe's Arcanine intimidates Honchkrow!
Honchkrow's Attack fell!
The foe's Arcanine floats in the air with its Air Balloon!
Turn 13

The foe's Arcanine used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Honchkrow lost 38% of its health!
Honchkrow fainted!
Regina Phalange sent out Milotic!
Turn 14

The foe's Arcanine used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Milotic lost 30% of its health!
Milotic used Scald!
It's super effective! The foe's Arcanine lost 73% of its health!
The foe's Arcanine's Air Balloon popped!
Milotic restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 15

Regina Phalange called Milotic back!
The foe's Arcanine used Roar!
Milotic was dragged out!
Milotic restored HP using its Leftovers!
Turn 16

sado called Arcanine back!
sado sent out Cofagrigus!
The foe's Cofagrigus is hurt by the spikes!
Regina Phalange called Milotic back!
Turn 17

Diglett used Earthquake!
The foe's Cofagrigus lost 7% of its health!
The foe's Cofagrigus fainted!
sado sent out Arcanine!
The foe's Arcanine is hurt by the spikes!
The foe's Arcanine intimidates Diglett!
Diglett's Attack fell!
Turn 18

Diglett used Earthquake!A critical hit! It's super effective! The foe's Arcanine lost 10% of its health!
The foe's Arcanine fainted!
Regina Phalange won the battle!

Yes, you're looking at that right, that was a Diglett that took out 3 Pokemon, including one of the most physically bulky Pokemon in the entire tier. 3 kills, without taking a single hit? Now, that's revenge-killing on a level even Flygon and Heracross struggle to compete with.

Anyway, more to the point of why I'm posting this here. For those of you who are having difficulties with this challenge, I suggest you give Diglett a try; not only is it a great check to some of the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier, (GOML, Crobat) it also supports Pokemon that need a few specific Pokemon removed in order to sweep. (Think back people, why did we ban Gothitelle?) I wasn't even on my challenge alt when testing Diglett, but I looked at the usage stats for September and it didn't make the top 30, so Diglett is safe to use!

Happy battling :)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Diglett isn't really a crobat check at all. Brave Bird is a guaranteed OHKO without EVs and Eviolite, and Diglett can't even trap it.

Finishing off two Pokemon at >10% and one weak to Earthquake isn't exactly a remarkable feat...

Anyway i really want to brag about a cool battle I had. I was looking for a Suicune response that was better than just using Lanturn and I figured one out. All I did was switch Discharge for Volt Switch on Lanturn. It's really simple - Toxic it as it comes in, absorb a Scald or Calm Mind and Volt Switch to Rotom-H. Rotom-H is himself faster than Suicune, so it gets a second more powerful Volt Switch in and Lanturn takes all of the damage from Scald, which is basically nothing. I beat a Suicune by bouncing between these two until it was forced to rest and then cleaning with a physical attacker. It was so cool. I love the novel, creative shit you have to do to handle Pokemon in this tier.

Does anybody have a clue what can handle Rhyperior in this tier that isn't dog shit like Gligar?

Diglett isn't really a crobat check at all. Brave Bird is a guaranteed OHKO without EVs and Eviolite, and Diglett can't even trap it.

Finishing off two Pokemon at >10% and one weak to Earthquake isn't exactly a remarkable feat...

Anyway i really want to brag about a cool battle I had. I was looking for a Suicune response that was better than just using Lanturn and I figured one out. All I did was switch Discharge for Volt Switch on Lanturn. It's really simple - Toxic it as it comes in, absorb a Scald or Calm Mind and Volt Switch to Rotom-H. Rotom-H is himself faster than Suicune, so it gets a second more powerful Volt Switch in and Lanturn takes all of the damage from Scald, which is basically nothing. I beat a Suicune by bouncing between these two until it was forced to rest and then cleaning with a physical attacker. It was so cool. I love the novel, creative shit you have to do to handle Pokemon in this tier.

Does anybody have a clue what can handle Rhyperior in this tier that isn't dog shit like Gligar?
I think you misunderstood what RT said, I'm pretty sure he was comparing diglett to crobat in terms of checking lots of stuff (though honestly, I'm not that convinced).

Honestly, I don't think rhyperior is too much of a problem for this challenge, not only is it actually pretty rare and you don't have to worry about it walling your nitrous-charged fire type or raikou because you can't use either (and gligar isn't dogshit, js).

The main thing I find difficult is to deal with a lot of top tier threats without going for a lot of very defensive pokemon as you don't really have access to "all-in-one" walls like porygon2, bronzong or snorlax. Heavily physical teams are also really hard to run because you don't get any physical fire types or guts/shed skin abusers like hera and BU scrafty except for houndoom (who is way too easy to wear down thanks to lack of spinners) so sableye, arcanine, and cofagrigus completely screw you. I think I'm going to take another look at heavily-special, though this will be tough without venomoth, suicune, or shaymin.

There are a couple of cool mons to abuse for HO-special like omastar, lilligant, jynx, P-Z and yanmega ofcourse. I think that HO specially a lot more viable is than physical because Sableye screws them so hard without guts hera.

What are you guys running to check/counter the most common mons, like hera and chandelure?

TPO3

Gligar works to counter Heracross. Most of them aren't guts, so you can just set up Stealth Rock, and then you'll wall it. Even if Heracross is Guts, it won't 2HKO without Swords Dance. Toxic is just a bonus because bulky water-types like to switch in.

Lanturn is a cool option I've been considering to beat Chandelure, it can switch into everything barring a Specs Energy Ball. Otherwise there are plenty of mons that can trap it, like Houndoom and Honchkrow. I haven't had too much issues with it, although that's because the main sweeper i'm using is Sharpedo, which doesn't care about Chandelure at +1.

I do agree that Special HO is a lot easier to run than Physical. I'm using a Physically offensive team right now, and Sableye has just been a pain. Not only does it threaten to prankster Will-o-Wisp, but it can also completely shut down Froslass, which is what any offensive team in this challenge would use to set up spikes, aside from MAYBE Qwilfish, which isn't much more effective against Sableye. So if you run physical offense, you have to be sure to pack something for Sableye.

In as Brockbottom

I've already gotten to 1786 with a team of Honchkrow, Nidoqueen, Rotom-H, Liligant, Cobalion and Omastar, and the only thing I can say thus far is: Holy shit Honchkrow is amazing

TPO3

Dude I wish Nidoqueen was legal for this tourney. o_o

I think I can concur with what he says about Honchkrow though. I originally had Weavile on my team, but I Just switched it out for Honchkrow because it's just better. (Granted I was probably using Weavile wrong.) But Honchkrow has some really awesome coverage moves and Moxie turns it into a really threatening sweeper. Brave Bird at +1 OHKO's some pretty bulky pkmn. The coverage it gets between Heat Wave and Superpower is just a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)