Girafarig (BW2 Revamp) (2/3 QC )

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first C&C Analysis, so lets hope im doing it right.

[Overview]​
  • It can utilize one set that allows it to have an excuse to be on certain teams, which is a baton passer.Psychic/Normal typing gives it a handy ghost immunity.
  • Immense movepool with tons of attacking moves and support moves.
  • Great ability in Sap Sipper, which gives it another good immunity to grass types
  • Average offensive stats and frail defenses.
  • Outclassed offensively by many psychic types if you are wanting a special attacking set.

[SET]
name: Baton Passer
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Hyper Voice / Thunderbolt
item: Leftovers
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SPA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• This set utilizes Girafarig's only moves and ability that makes it different from other psychic types.
  • Calm Mind can be used to boost Girafarig's special attack and defense to give it a shot at sweeping, or to pass off the boosts to a teammate.
  • Baton Pass is obviously used here to pass the boosts off to teammates.
  • It is also used to avoid pursuits from pokemon like skuntank.
  • Psychic is a good STAB move to use against really anything neutral or weak to it like Gurdurr, Sawk, Vileplume, etc.
  • Hyper Voice can be used as a secondary STAB move with Psychic to hit dark types.
  • Thunderbolt can be used over hyper voice to deal more damage to pokemon such as Metang, Lunatone, and Solrock. It also 2 hit ko's physically defensive mandibuzz and has a chance to 2 hit ko the special variant after stealth rocks
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • You could also do max hp and speed with a timid nature to be a more bulky calm mind passer.
  • There arent really any better moves to use with this set besides maybe Grass Knot to hit seismitoad better or HP Fighting to hit steel types like lairon and bastiodon better.
  • Golem is a nice partner for girafirig as it can take common switch-ins to girafarig such as skuntank and doesnt mind having a sap sipper boost or substitute. It also can lure in grass types for girafarig tos switch into to get the sap sipper boost.
  • Girafarig could also have a sub calm mind set with baton pass and hyper voice if you want to, if you do that use max hp and speed since girafarig is now focusing more on passing calm minds and substitutes. keep in mind that ghost types beat you now if you use this moveset.
  • Girafirig also likes pokemon that can sweep easily with a Calm Mind boost like Charizard.
  • Girafarig likes having wish support from pokemon such as alomomola and audino to help it live longer.
  • You could also use substitute instead of Calm Mind but Girafarig is usually outclassed by sawsbuck when it uses subpass.
[Other Options]

• Girafarig can run a dual screens set but is generally outclassed by gardevoir, so use it if you absolutely need a grass immunity.
  • It can run a physical set but usually gets outclassed by miltank, so only a physical set with baton pass wouldnt be too outclassed.
  • Chioced Girafarig is viable enough since it has access to Trick to cripple walls that try to switch in, but once again be aware that gardevoir usually outclasses girafarig in this role.
  • Girafarig has the support moves to be a kind of good support pokemon but its to frail defensively to pull this off consistently.
  • Besides for these, girafarig could run different baton pass variants, but pretty much all of the other baton pass options are generally outclassed by sawsbuck who has a ghost immunity and grass immunity as well.
  • You could use shadow ball to hit psychic types but other coverage moves are generally better.
  • You could try to use Magic Coat somewhere on the set to bounce back status, whirlwind, roar, and taunt, but there isnt much of a place on the set to have it.
[Checks and Counters]

• Steel types almost always wall girafarig, but be wary of girafarig baton passing out without getting hurt. Good examples of these counters are metang, bastiodon, and klang.
  • Make sure you have entry hazard up on their side of the field so it gets hard for girafarig to switch in and out all the time since it has a lack of reliable recovery.
  • If you dont have a grass type or misdreavus on your team, you usually dont need to worry about girafarig too much since it cant take a strong nuetral hit. faster pokemon are good checks since they can usually one hit ko girafirig with a strong attack.
  • Taunt users such as skuntank and mandibuzz can work too since they can stop girafarig from using Calm Mind, Substitute, or Baton Pass.
  • Phazing moves can also be quite the hassle for girafarig since it wipes away its CM boosts or Substitute, and this coupled with entry hazards is even a bigger counter to girafarig.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Thundebolt deserves a place on the main set. The only common thing it really hits is Metang, and in that case I think it'd rather set up CM and pass because Metang can't do much back. I'm not sure if hitting Metang is worth it, just my two cents. I also think you should add Magic Coat somewhere (AC or OO) to bounce back Taunt, Roar and Whirlwind.

I think you should also list some examples in Checks and Counters. For example, for Taunt users, you could list Mandibuzz and Skutank as being able to beat it with Taunt (Skunk can also Pursuit it). You could also mention something about phazing moves since they normally have the bulk to live Girafarig at +1 and phaze it out unless it carries and predicts well with Magic Coat.

Changed it to what you said, besides for getting rid of thunderbolt. If there is actually a slight chance that girafarig might sweep, girafarig needs thunderbolt. also, a metang meteor mash can do quite a bit to girafarig. Thanks for the suggestions! =D

mention a max hp max speed set in ac if you want to focus on baton passing moreso than attacking
in checks and counters list metang or bastiodon (can phaze too) or probopass as examples for steel types
id like for somewhere that cm pass is really the only thig that girafarig can really do well without being outclassed because sawsbuck (also has a grass immunity and ghost immunity) can also bpass out with boosts such as sd or agility
also in ac you can add that you can opt to run subcmpass with psychic or something to set up easier on stuff like mushy or non foul play missy
looks good for a giraffe qc 1/3

[Overview]
  • Remember that the goal of the overview is to sum up the Pokemon's role in the metagame and to be as accurate but concise as possible. The first point can be cut, and the second one can be left in if you want to include it as a niche over other Psychic-types
[SET]
  • Move order should be Baton Pass / Calm Mind | Substitute / Psychic / Hyper Voice | Thunderbolt
  • Make sure and add a space between your slashes, i.e. Baton Pass / Calm Mind vs. Baton Pass/Calm Mind
[SET COMMENTS]
  • You can tack Mandibuzz in under the mention of what Thunderbolt hits since you'll always outspeed and with Life Orb 2HKO physically defensive variants and you have a chance to 2HKO specially defensive variants after Stealth Rock.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • When the EVs are straightforward max/max, you don't need to worry about explaining them
  • I'd probably move Shadow Ball to OO; I really don't think I'd ever use it unless I was running an offensive Calm Mind + three attacks set
  • Same with Magic Coat
  • When you mention Golem, you can also mention that it lures in Grass-types that Girafarig likes to switch in on
  • The point underneath Golem is really similar to the second point; you can merge those togeter
  • Give specific examples of Wish passers for partners; Lickilicky and Alomomola both come to mind for this
This looks good; just needs some fine-tuning before it's ready to be written up. Feel free to VM me or contact me on IRC once you've made these changes, and I'll give it a quick second look before stamping. :)

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Adding on to that you need to fix the formatting. It should look like this:

[SET]
name: Baton Passer
move 1: Calm Mind / Substitute
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Hyper Voice / Thunderbolt
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Mainly that the sections should not have capitalized letters and spacing between slashes.

I'll QC check it later.

Ok, i dont have time today to edit the overview to treecko and your liking so i will make sure i get it done tomorrow.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't like Substitute being slashed with Calm Mind mind honestly. CM is what separates it from Sawsbuck as a Baton Pass so I would make CM the only move and move Sub to AC. Also make the item Lefties only.

[Overview]
Remove first point, fluff. I wouldn't say it has good offensive stats, more decent than anything else. I has balanced stats, but it's not a jack of all trades, remove. I wouldn't mention that its outclassed by Normals when using a physical set because it wouldn't use a physical set anyways because it can't. On the last point talk specifically about its role and move this all the way to the top.

Fix Set Comments and AC to reflect the set changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)