Glalie (BW2 Revamp?) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Doesn't exactly have an analysis, so I guess this is just an plain old analysis? '~'

Code:
[I]To-Do List:[/I]
[LIST]
[*]WUT IT DO (establish its niche; admittedly I think it's pretty small :>) [✓]
[*]Confirm slashes / EV spreads; verify what deserves AC and what's OO material (it's 
kinda hard to draw the line of what is and isn't a "gimmick" on this 'mon '~') [✓]
[*]Control my Quality [✓]
[*]writ [✓]
[*]GPs [✓]
[/LIST]

Slick

[Overview]

<p>Glalie is a Pokemon that just seems to ooze mediocrity. Its average base stats, somewhat sparse movepool, and generic Ice typing aren't doing it many favors, and give it a lot of trouble. However, Glalie possesses two characteristics that allow it to function in the RU metagame: Spikes and Ice Body. Collectively, these traits make Glalie one of the few viable Spikes users on hail teams, being capable of healing itself passively while providing entry hazard support, as well as capitalizing on the accurate Blizzards that hail allows for. Even so, Glalie still faces serious competition from Pokemon such as Qwilfish, which offers better overall synergy with hail-based Pokemon, leaving it the better choice on only the most offensively paced of hail teams. While Glalie certainly isn't suited for every team, it is a useful Pokemon for strictly offensive hail teams where it can play to its strengths.</p>

[SET]
name: Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Super Fang / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Ice Body
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie's best bet at usefulness in RU is with a Spikes set. Thanks to its moderate bulk and reasonable Speed, Glalie is capable of finding a reasonable amount of free turns to set up Spikes. Glalie's Blizzard, while not hitting as hard as Glaceon's or other such powerful Ice-types, still remains moderately powerful and allows Glalie to soften up Ice-type resistances for more dedicated hail sweepers to better push through. Taunt is invaluable, as it prevents opponents from setting up and Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Slowking recovering off residual damage, as well as allowing Glalie to effectively shut down Smeargle. Super Fang allows Glalie to cleave bulky Pokemon such as Escavalier's and Munchlax's HP in half so that they can't take powerful Blizzards from teammates as effectively. On the other hand, Toxic allows Glalie to cripple common Ice-type resistances such as Slowking and Cryogonal, wearing them down alongside Taunt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie can run a more offensive spread, utilizing an alternative attacking move such as Hidden Power Fire or Rock, which would allow it to more immediately pressure certain Pokemon, such as Escavalier and Cryogonal, though this in turn gives Glalie fewer opportunities to set up Spikes. Protect can be used to gain another turn of Leftovers and Ice Body recovery and scout Choice users, though Glalie has difficulty finding room for it. Substitute is a viable option over Taunt, allowing Glalie to more comfortably take on Pokemon such as Slowking if it is running Toxic while also ensuring it isn't forced out as easily, though losing the ability to stop recovery moves and opposing setup hurts. When using Substitute, a spread of 236 HP / 20 SpD / 252 Spe is more reliable overall, guaranteeing that Glalie can set up a Substitute freely every other turn.</p>

<p>In terms of partners, Snover and a powerful Ice-type such as Choice Scarf Glaceon or Rotom-F are basically mandatory, with the former providing the hail Glalie needs and the latter taking advantage of the entry hazards it provides in order to sweep. Rapid Spin support is much appreciated in order to preserve Glalie's HP, and Kabutops is the man for the job, offering a reasonable buffer against Fire-type attacks while maintaining offensive momentum. Nidoqueen is a useful partner, providing continued offensive pressure, a fall-back against Rock- and Fighting-type attacks, and Stealth Rock all in one. Choice Band Spiritomb also makes for a solid partner, answering to Fighting-types rather well and Pursuit trapping dedicated special walls to allow for easier Blizzard spamming while also preventing Rapid Spin.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A suicide lead set can be utilized to decent effect considering Glalie has access to Taunt, Spikes, and even Explosion for avoiding Rapid Spin, as well as enough Speed to outpace Smeargle, though it faces direct competition from the more flexible, slightly faster Qwilfish. Disable is an interesting option and could be used alongside Substitute moderately well, though Glalie faces a lot of competition from the more well-rounded Walrein as a defensive hail Pokemon. Ice Shard offers Glalie STAB priority, though it is moderately weak overall. Fake Tears can be utilized to force out slower switch-ins with the prospect of a powerful Blizzard, though Glalie faces immediate competition from Glaceon in this respect. Block can be utilized alongside Toxic in order to rack up damage on Pokemon such as Slowking and Cryogonal, though this means either dropping Blizzard, leaving it vulnerable to anything and everything immune to Toxic, or Spikes, outright erasing its main niche in the tier. Finally, a Substitute + Protect stalling set can be used along with Toxic and Blizzard. The main advantage Glalie has here as a SubProtect user is its relatively high Speed, letting it possibly stall out neutral natured threats like Gallade.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Glalie is somewhat of an odd task, as its primary goal is to wear down certain Pokemon in any way possible for a partner to sweep. Cryogonal is the most lasting "counter" to Glalie, being capable of taking repeated Blizzards without much trouble and spinning away its entry hazards, though it does need to be cautious of Toxic variants that are capable of stalling it out with Taunt. Kabutops, unlike Cryogonal, can both spin away Glalie's Spikes and threaten it with a powerful Stone Edge and switches in with little trouble. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are both similar cases, though their inability to effectively take on Ghost-types and neutrality to Blizzard somewhat inhibits them. Steel-types such as Klinklang and Rock Polish Aggron can force Glalie out with their powerful attacks and in turn set up safely. Escavalier can switch into to all but Super Fang safely and proceed to threaten Glalie with either Megahorn or Iron Head while also being immune to hail damage. Powerful Fire-types such as Entei and Emboar can switch into Glalie with impunity and threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks, either KOing it or forcing it to switch out and take further entry hazard damage upon switching back in.</p>

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Glalie <3. I know this is a WIP but lemme give some input from my experience using Glalie:

- The EV spread of choice should easily be 252 HP / 6 SpD / 252 Spe. While Glalie has a terrible defensive typing, that bulk really helps it stick around throughout the match, especially considering with hail, Glalie is healing 12% of HP between turns, which isn't bad at all. Plus, Glalie just seems disappointingly weak as a Blizzspammer, since that base 80 Special Attack is pitifully mediocre in comparison to stuff like Glaceon, Rotom-F, Jynx etc, so setting up hazards and preventing the opponent from setting up their own is the best option for Glalie imo. The nature should be Timid, since outspeeding Smeargle and taunting it is crucial. I'll test out the set you have up at the moment though, since I guess it could be promising.
- Spikes and Taunt are mandatory moves for Glalie, because that's what it has over its fellow hail abusers. The remaining moves right now are a tossup between Blizzard, Super Fang, Protect, Toxic, and Ice Shard, though for now, make the third slot Blizzard / Super Fang, and put Protect in the last slot for now, and put Toxic / Ice Shard in AC.
- Make sure to stress that Glalie should mostly be used on hail teams; this exact same set can basically be pulled of by Qwilfish, who is faster, hits harder assuming Glalie doesn't have hail, and has a significantly better typing. The only reason Glalie should ever be used outside of hail is if you REALLY need the Spikes while also having a Pokemon who does decently against opposing hail teams (though Glalie doesn't do particularly well against stuff like Glaceon's Blizzard either...).

Will post more when the complete skeleton is done; I just wanted to put down some of my thoughts for now.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, looking through its movepool it has Super Fang, Toxic and Disable, which are basically the only other viable moves. Super Fang should probably slashed with Blizzard, as it does more damage to basically anything that resists Blizzard.

Thanks SV ^_^ If I could lay out my thought process for the current set, the reason I've found a more offensive variant to be more useful is just as you say, Qwilfish overall is a better defensive Spiker for Hail teams, having actual useful resistances and good bulk to pull it off. While Glalie is a weak Blizzspammer in its own right, the way I found Glalie best played was to wear down common checks to Blizzspam, such as Escavalier, Slowking, and Cryogonal, with its own Blizzards in tandem with Spikes damage, such that another more powerful hail sweepers can more easily clean up late-game. Maybe I just interpreted Glalie's niche in an odd way, but I feel that actually recovering HP passively in Hail really wasn't enough justification to run it over other Spikes users in the tier, especially when considering by this point you're stacking about 3 Ice-types to accomplish it :x However, I do agree that Protect is fairly mediocre and that Timid is pretty key if only for Smeargle. That being said, I'll change those bits for now, test the bulkier spread a bit more, and then hopefully reach a consensus everyone can be happy about =)

Ok, sorry for the lack of attention on this analysis, I'd be lying if I said this was a high-priority 'mon for me '~' Anywho, having done a bit more testing and not being so generally short-sighted, I agree with SV that a bulkier spread serves Glalie better, and am going with the proposed set with some minor differences. I decided to put Blizzard in the second slash on its own since I feel it better reinforces the fact that Glalie should be used exclusively on a Hail team, and used Toxic and Super Fang for the final slot (with Protect in AC) since they were the most effectual in doing things beyond setting Spikes and reinforced its ability to wear down Blizzard resists '~' Anywho, that in mind I think this is ready for review from QC, and again sorry for the lack of progress on this until now :[

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd probably give substitute a mention in the Glalie's AC over taunt, while taunt is generally the more useful option for stopping opposing hazard setters and set up sweepers, glalie DOES have ice body, and is perfectly capable of running a similar stalling set to Glaceon and Walrein while still being able to provide spikes for the team, while it isnt as good at the job as the aformentioned Pokemon, spikes gives it enough of a niche for the subtect set to be in AC imo.

If you decide to add substitute to the AC i'd also at least give a slightly tweaked ev spread of 236 hp, 20 SpD, 252 Speed timid a mention, this allows you to get the maximum recovery out of ice body and makes sure that Glalie can heal off the damage taken from setting up a substitute in two turns.

I'd probably add a suicide lead in other options as well, although i dont know what the rest of QC thinks about this given that qwilfish is generally the better option for this.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
ok this looks good

You should make it very very explicit that Glalie should only be used on heavy offense hail teams and absolutely nothing else. ZERO defensive partners should be included. The fact is that you are stacking two support mons already (Glalie and Snover) and including any more leaves you way too open to a variety of threats. I wouldn't even recommend having a designated Stealth Rock user outside of something very offensive like Nidoqueen or Druddigon.

I wouldn't mention Glaceon as a partner outside of the Scarf set, or any other Blizzspammer unless they're very fast, mostly cuz you already took up your two slow Ice-type slots with Glalie and Snover. It needs to go to something quicker like Scarf Glaceon or Rotom-F. Plus, the Spikes + SR (if you can get it) make it very easy for the Scarfers to get their needed kills with Blizzard anyway without having to use Specs or LO.

Be sure to mention that you NEED to lead with Glalie if you see Smeargle on the opposing side, and it isn't a bad idea to if you see Uxie either (you outspeed most standard Uxie that normally just aim for Nidoqueen).

Finally, I would personally slash Super Fang before Toxic because it's really the only major thing that Glalie has that Accelgor can't really do (aside from the Blizzard, but it's really not that strong coming off an uninvested base 80 SpA).

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Yeah, I intend to be verify specific with where and how Glalie should be used since it's niche is so tiny :x Thanks Oglemi, I'll start writing this up asap ^_^

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While the information here is really good so far, I'd like to see some sections of this beefed up a little more (Checks and Counters in particular, and maybe Other Options) before I stamp. Good work so far though! :)

I can understand that haha, I added a little more bulk to both sections, let me know if you want more (though I feel I might be pushing the envelope on "viable" options if I add more to OO '~')!

tehy

Banned deucer.
Heh, nice analysis. And Glalie definitely oozes mediocrity... but only when the heat's up, if you catch my drift...

Also maybe take out the top part of this post, I think you've done what you said you'd do in it lol

Edit: Also lol, Ice Body Recovery is way>Ice Body Healing, I slipped up there p. hard.
Double Edit: Well, this had fine prose, I didn't feel the need to touch that.
[Overview]
<p>Glalie is a pokemon that just seems to ooze mediocrity. Its average base stats, somewhat sparse movepool, and generic Ice typing aren't doing it many favors, and give it a lot of trouble in finding use in the tier. However, Glalie withholds two characteristics that allow it to function in the RU metagame: Spikes and Ice Body. Collectively, these traits make Glalie one of the few viable Spikes users on hail teams, being capable of healing itself passively while providing entry hazards as well as capitalizing on the accurate Blizzards that hail allows for. Even so, Glalie continues to face competition forrom pokemon such as Qwilfish, who offers better overall synergy with hail-based pokemon, restricting its use to all but the most offensively paced of hail teams. While Glalie certainly isn't suited for every team, it is certainly a useful pokemon for strict offensive hail teams, where it can play to its strengths.</p>
[SET]
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Glalie's best bet at usefulness in RU is with a Spikes set. Thanks to its moderate bulk and reasonable Speed stat, Glalie is capable of finding a reasonable amount of free turns to set up Spikes. Glalie's Blizzard, while not hitting as hard as Glaceon's or other such powerful Ice-types, still remains moderately powerful, and allows Glalie to soften up Ice-type resistances for more dedicated hail sweepers to better push through. Taunt is invaluable for preventing opposing setup, as well asnd preventing Pokemon such Cryogonal and Slowking from recovering off residual damage, as well as allowing it to effectively shut down Smeargle. Super Fang allows Glalie to cleave HP from bulky Pokemon such as Escavalier and Munchlax in half sucho that they can't as effectively take on powerful Blizzards from teammates. On the other hand, Toxic allows Glalie to effectively cripple common Ice-type resistances such as Slowking and Cryogonal, wearing them down alongside Taunt.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Glalie can run a more offensive spread, utilizing an alternative attacking move such as Hidden Power Fire or Rock, which would allow it to more immediately pressure certain Pokemon, such as Escavalier and Cryogonal, though in turn Glalie finds fewer opportunities to set up Spikes. Protect can be used to ascertgain another turn of Leftovers and Ice Body healing and scout choice users, though Glalie has difficulty finding room for it. Substitute is a viable option over Taunt, allowing it to more more comfortably take on Pokemon such as Slowking withif it's running Toxic damage, while also preventing it from being forced out as easily, though losing the ability to stop recovery moves and oposing set-up kind of sucks. When using Substitute, a spread of 236 HP / 20 SpD / 252 Spe is more useful overall, guaranteeing it can set up a Substitute freely every other turn.<p>
<p>In terms of partners, Snover and a powerful Ice-type such as Choice Scarf Glaceon or Rotom-F are basically mandatory, with the former providing the hail and the latter taking advantage of Glalie's hazards in order to sweep. Rapid Spin support is much appreciated in order to preserve Glalie's HP, and Kabutops is the man for the job, offering a reasonable buffer to Fire-type attacks while maintaing offensive momentum. Nidoqueen is a useful partner, providing continued offensive pressure, a fallback for Rock- and Fighting-type attacks, and a user of Stealth Rock all in one. Choice Band Spiritomb also makes for a solid partner, answering to Fighting-types rather well and Pursuit trapping dedicated special walls to allow for more lenienteasier Blizzard spamming, while also preventing Rapid Spin.</p>
[Other Options]
<p>A suicide lead can be utilized to decent effect considering Glalie has access to Taunt, Spikes, and even Explosion for avoiding Rapid Spin, as well as enough Speed to outpace Smeargle, though it faces almost immediate competition from the more flexible, slightly faster Qwilfish. Disable is an interesting option, and could be used alongside Substitute moderately well, though speaking generally it faces a lot of competition from the more well-rounded Walrein as a defensive hail abuser. Ice Shard offers Glalie STAB priority, though it remains moderately weak overall. Fake Tears can be utilized in order for Glalie to force out slower switch-ins with the prospect of a moderately powerful Blizzard, though it faces immediate competition from Glaceon in this respect. Block can be utilized alongside Toxic in order to rack up damage on Pokemon such as Slowking and Cryogonal, though this means either dropping Blizzard, leaving it vulnerable to anything and everything immune to Toxic, or Spikes, outright belittlerasing its main niche in the tier.</p>
[Checks & Counters]
<p>Countering Glalie is somewhat of an odd task, as its primary goal is to serve as a method of wearing down certain Pokemon for a partner to sweep in any way possible. Cryogonal is the most lasting "counter" to Glalie, being capable of taking repeated Blizzards without much trouble and spinning away its hazards, though it does need to be cautious of Toxic variants that are capable of stalling it out with Taunt, preventing it from healing off the damage. However, Kabutops, unlike Cryogonal, can both spin Glalie's hazards and threaten it with a powerful Stone Edge, switching into it with impunity. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are both similar cases, though their inability to effectively take on Ghost-types and neutrality to Blizzard somewhat hurinhibits thisem. Steel-types such as Klinklang and Rock Polish Aggron can force Glalie out with itstheir powerful attacks and in turn set up safely. Escavalier can switch into to all but Super Fang safely and proceed to threaten Glalie with either Megahorn or Iron Head, while also being immune to hail damage. Powerful Fire-types such as Entei and Emboar can switch into Glalie with impunity and threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks, either KOing it or forcing it to switch out and take further entry hazard damage upon switching back in.</p>

Comments: Are you allowed to say Blizzspam? I took it out in case, pretty sure you're not.

Whoops haha. Sorry for taking so long to implement your check tehy, pretty sure I got everything covered, Idk about the Blizzspam bit myself since it's never come up for me before, but its probably safe to assume it isn't proper terminology :x

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is my first time/attempt trying to edit, so hopefully I did well, we will see ^^;

Additions Blue
Remove Red

col49 said:
[Overview]

<p>Glalie is a pPokemon that just seems to ooze mediocrity. Its average base stats, somewhat sparse movepool, and generic Ice typing aren't doing it many favors, and give it a lot of trouble. However, Glalie holds two characteristics that allow it to function in the RU metagame: Spikes and Ice Body. Collectively, these traits make Glalie one of the few viable Spikes users on hail teams, being capable of healing itself passively while providing entry hazards as well as capitalizing on the accurate Blizzards that hail allows for. Even so, Glalie continues to face competition from pPokemon such as Qwilfish, who offers better overall synergy with hail-based pokemon, restricting its use to all but the most offensively paced of hail teams. While Glalie certainly isn't suited for every team, it is certainly a useful pPokemon for strict offensive hail teams, where it can play to its strengths.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie's best bet at usefulness in RU is with a Spikes set. Thanks to its moderate bulk and reasonable Speed stat, Glalie is capable of finding a reasonable amount of free turns to set up Spikes. Glalie's Blizzard, while not hitting as hard as Glaceon's or other such powerful Ice-types, still remains moderately powerful, and allows Glalie to soften up Ice-type resistances for more dedicated hail sweepers to better push through. Taunt is invaluable for, as it preventings opposing setup and preventing Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Slowking from recovering off residual damage, as well as allowing it to effectively shut down Smeargle. Super Fang allows Glalie to cleave HP from bulky Pokemon such as Escavalier and Munchlax in half so that they can't as effectively take powerful Blizzards from teammates as effectively. On the other hand, Toxic allows Glalie to effectively cripple common Ice-type resists such as Slowking and Cryogonal, wearing them down alongside Taunt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie can run a more offensive spread, utilizing an alternative attacking move such as Hidden Power Fire or Rock, which would allow it to more immediately pressure certain Pokemon, such as Escavalier and Cryogonal, though in turn Glalie finds fewer opportunities to set up Spikes. Protect can be used to gain another turn of Leftovers and Ice Body recovery and scout choice users, though Glalie has difficulty finding room for it. Substitute is a viable option over Taunt, allowing it to more more comfortably take on Pokemon such as Slowking if it is running Toxic, while also preventing it from being forced out as easily, though losing the ability to stop recovery moves and oposing setup hurts. When using Substitute, a spread of 236 HP / 20 SpD / 252 Spe is more usefulreliable overall, guaranteeing that it can set up a Substitute freely every other turn.<p>

<p>In terms of partners, Snover and a powerful Ice-type such as Choice Scarf Glaceon or Rotom-F are basically mandatory, with the former providing the hail and the latter taking advantage of Glalie's hazards in order to sweep. Rapid Spin support is much appreciated in order to preserve Glalie's HP, and Kabutops is the man for the job, offering a reasonable buffer to Fire-type attacks while maintaing offensive momentum. Nidoqueen is a useful partner, providing continued offensive pressure, a fallback for Rock- and Fighting-type attacks, and a user of Stealth Rock all in one. Choice Band Spiritomb also makes for a solid partner, answering to Fighting-types rather well and Pursuit trapping dedicated special walls to allow for easier Blizzard spamming, while also preventing Rapid Spin.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A suicide lead can be utilized to decent effect considering Glalie has access to Taunt, Spikes, and even Explosion for avoiding Rapid Spin, as well as enough Speed to outpace Smeargle, though it faces almost immediate competition from the more flexible, slightly faster Qwilfish. Disable is an interesting option, and could be used alongside Substitute moderately well, though speaking generally it faces a lot of competition from the more well-rounded Walrein as a defensive hail abuser. Ice Shard offers Glalie STAB priority, though it remains moderately weak overall. Fake Tears can be utilized to force out slower switch-ins with the prospect of a moderately powerful Blizzard, though it faces immediate competition from Glaceon in this respect. Block can be utilized alongside Toxic in order to rack up damage on Pokemon such as Slowking and Cryogonal, though this means either dropping Blizzard, leaving it vulnerable to anything and everything immune to Toxic, or Spikes, outright erasing its main niche in the tier.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>Countering Glalie is somewhat of an odd task, as its primary goal is to wear down certain Pokemon for a partner to sweep in any way possible. Cryogonal is the most lasting "counter" to Glalie, being capable of taking repeated Blizzards without much trouble and spinning away its hazards, though it does need to be cautious of Toxic variants that are capable of stalling it out with Taunt, preventing it from healing off the damage. However, Kabutops, unlike Cryogonal, can both spin Glalie's hazards and threaten it with a powerful Stone Edge, switching into it with impunity. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are both similar cases, though their inability to effectively take on Ghost-types and neutrality to Blizzard somewhat inhibits them. Steel-types, such as Klinklang and Rock Polish Aggron, can force Glalie out with their powerful attacks and in turn set up safely. Escavalier can switch into to all but Super Fang safely and proceed to threaten Glalie with either Megahorn or Iron Head, while also being immune to hail damage. Powerful Fire-types, such as Entei and Emboar, can switch into Glalie with impunity and threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks, either KOing it or forcing it to switch out and take further entry hazard damage upon switching back in.</p>

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

working on top of governess
[Overview]

<p>Glalie is a pPokemon that just seems to ooze mediocrity. Its average base stats, somewhat sparse movepool, and generic Ice typing aren't doing it many favors, (RC) and give it a lot of trouble. However, Glalie holds two characteristics that allow it to function in the RU metagame: Spikes and Ice Body. Collectively, (AC) these traits make Glalie one of the few viable Spikes users on hail teams, being capable of healing itself passively while providing entry hazard support as well as capitalizing on the accurate Blizzards that hail allows for. Even so, Glalie continues to face competition from pPokemon such as Qwilfish, which offers better overall synergy with hail-based pokemon, restricting its Glalie's use to all but the most offensively paced of hail teams. While Glalie certainly isn't suited for every team, it is certainly a useful pPokemon for strictly offensive hail teams, where it can play to its strengths.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie's best bet at usefulness in RU is with a Spikes set. Thanks to its moderate bulk and reasonable Speed stat, Glalie is capable of finding a reasonable amount of free turns to set up Spikes. Glalie's Blizzard, while not hitting as hard as Glaceon's or other such powerful Ice-types, still remains moderately powerful, and allows Glalie to soften up Ice-type resistances for more dedicated hail sweepers to better push through. Taunt is invaluable for, as it preventings opposing setup and preventing Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Slowking from recovering off residual damage, as well as allowing it to effectively shut down Smeargle. Super Fang allows Glalie to cleave HP from bulky Pokemon such as Escavalier and Munchlax in half so that they can't as effectively take powerful Blizzards from teammates as effectively. On the other hand, Toxic allows Glalie to effectively cripple common Ice-type resists such as Slowking and Cryogonal, wearing them down alongside Taunt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie can run a more offensive spread, utilizing an alternative attacking move such as Hidden Power Fire or Rock, which would allow it to more immediately pressure certain Pokemon, such as Escavalier and Cryogonal, though this in turn gives Glalie finds fewer opportunities to set up Spikes. Protect can be used to gain another turn of Leftovers and Ice Body recovery and scout Choice users, though Glalie has difficulty finding room for it. Substitute is a viable option over Taunt, allowing it to more more comfortably take on Pokemon such as Slowking if it is running Toxic, while also preventing it from being forced out as easily, though losing the ability to stop recovery moves and oposing setup hurts. When using Substitute, a spread of 236 HP / 20 SpD / 252 Spe is more usefulreliable overall, guaranteeing that it can set up a Substitute freely every other turn.<p>

<p>In terms of partners, Snover and a powerful Ice-types such as Choice Scarf Glaceon or Rotom-F are basically mandatory, with the former providing the hail and the latter taking advantage of Glalie's entry hazards in order to sweep. Rapid Spin support is much appreciated in order to preserve Glalie's HP, and Kabutops is the man for the job, offering a reasonable buffer to Fire-type attacks while maintaining offensive momentum. Nidoqueen is a useful partner, providing continued offensive pressure, a fallback for Rock- and Fighting-type attacks, and a user of Stealth Rock all in one. Choice Band Spiritomb also makes for a solid partner, answering to Fighting-types rather well and Pursuit trapping dedicated special walls to allow for easier Blizzard spamming, while also preventing Rapid Spin.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A suicide lead can be utilized to decent effect considering Glalie has access to Taunt, Spikes, and even Explosion for avoiding Rapid Spin, as well as enough Speed to outpace Smeargle, though it faces almost immediate competition from the more flexible, slightly faster Qwilfish. Disable is an interesting option, (RC) and could be used alongside Substitute moderately well, though speaking generally it faces a lot of competition from the more well-rounded Walrein as a defensive hail abuser. Ice Shard offers Glalie STAB priority, though it remains moderately weak overall. Fake Tears can be utilized to force out slower switch-ins with the prospect of a moderately powerful Blizzard, though it faces immediate competition from Glaceon in this respect. Block can be utilized alongside Toxic in order to rack up damage on Pokemon such as Slowking and Cryogonal, though this means either dropping Blizzard, leaving it vulnerable to anything and everything immune to Toxic, or Spikes, outright erasing its main niche in the tier.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>Countering Glalie is somewhat of an odd task, as its primary goal is to wear down certain Pokemon for a partner to sweep in any way possible. Cryogonal is the most lasting "counter" to Glalie, being capable of taking repeated Blizzards without much trouble and spinning away its entry hazards, though it does need to be cautious of Toxic variants that are capable of stalling it out with Taunt, preventing it from healing off the damage. However, Kabutops, unlike Cryogonal, can both spin Glalie's Spikes hazards and threaten it with a powerful Stone Edge and switches in with little trouble, switching into it with impunity. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are both similar cases, though their inability to effectively take on Ghost-types and neutrality to Blizzard somewhat inhibits them. Steel-types, (RC) such as Klinklang and Rock Polish Aggron, (RC) can force Glalie out with their powerful attacks and in turn set up safely. Escavalier can switch into to all but Super Fang safely and proceed to threaten Glalie with either Megahorn or Iron Head, while also being immune to hail damage. Powerful Fire-types, (RC) such as Entei and Emboar, (RC) can switch into Glalie with impunity and threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks, either KOing it or forcing it to switch out and take further entry hazard damage upon switching back in.</p>

great checks to both of you! However, there were still a bit many changes I made to consider them stamp-worthy. At any rate, tehy, that was one of the better checks I've seen you do; you should continue this style of checking, i.e. not focusing on prose but rather individual poor wordings and flat-out grammar errors.

[gp]1/2[/gp]

GP check. Good job on writing this.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Glalie is a Pokemon that just seems to ooze mediocrity. Its average base stats, somewhat sparse movepool (add comma) and generic Ice typing aren't doing don't do it many favors, (remove comma) and give it a lot of trouble. However, Glalie holds possesses two characteristics that allow it to function in the RU metagame: Spikes and Ice Body. Collectively, these traits make Glalie one of the few viable Spikes users on hail teams, being capable of healing itself passively while providing entry hazard support as well as capitalizing on the accurate Blizzards that hail allows for. Even so, Glalie continues to face still faces serious competition from Pokemon such as Qwilfish, which offers better overall synergy with hail-based pokemon, restricting Glalie's use to all but leaving it the better choice on only the most offensively paced of hail teams. While Glalie certainly isn't suited for every team, it is a useful Pokemon for strictly offensive hail teams, (remove comma) where it can play to its strengths.</p>​

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie's best bet at usefulness in RU is with a Spikes set. Thanks to its moderate bulk and reasonable Speed, Glalie is capable of finding a reasonable amount of free turns to set up Spikes. Glalie's Blizzard, while not hitting as hard as Glaceon's or other such powerful Ice-types, still remains moderately powerful, (remove comma) and allows Glalie to soften up Ice-type resistances for more dedicated hail sweepers to better push through. Taunt is invaluable, as it prevents opposing setup opponents setting up and Pokemon such as Cryogonal and Slowking from recovering off residual damage, as well as allowing it Glalie to effectively shut down Smeargle. Super Fang allows Glalie to cleave HP from bulky Pokemon such as Escavalier and Munchlax Munchlax's HP in half so that they can't take powerful Blizzards from teammates as effectively. On the other hand, Toxic allows Glalie to cripple common Ice-type resists resistances such as Slowking and Cryogonal, wearing them down alongside Taunt.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Glalie can run a more offensive spread, utilizing an alternative attacking move such as Hidden Power Fire or Rock, which would allow it to more immediately pressure certain Pokemon, such as Escavalier and Cryogonal, though this in turn gives Glalie fewer opportunities to set up Spikes. Protect can be used to gain another turn of Leftovers and Ice Body recovery and scout Choice users, though Glalie has difficulty finding room for it. Substitute is a viable option over Taunt, allowing it Glalie to more comfortably take on Pokemon such as Slowking if it is running Toxic, (remove comma) while also preventing it from being ensuring it isn't forced out as easily, though losing the ability to stop recovery moves and oposing setup hurts. When using Substitute, a spread of 236 HP / 20 SpD / 252 Spe is more reliable overall, guaranteeing that it Glalie can set up a Substitute freely every other turn.<p>

<p>In terms of partners, Snover and a powerful Ice-typez Ice-type such as Choice Scarf Glaceon or Rotom-F are basically mandatory, with the former providing the hail Glalie needs and the latter taking advantage of Glalie's the entry hazards it provides in order to sweep. Rapid Spin support is much appreciated in order to preserve Glalie's HP, and Kabutops is the man for the job, offering a reasonable buffer to against Fire-type attacks while maintaining offensive momentum. Nidoqueen is a useful partner, providing continued offensive pressure, a fallback for against Rock- and Fighting-type attacks, and Stealth Rock all in one. Choice Band Spiritomb also makes for a solid partner, answering to Fighting-types rather well and Pursuit trapping dedicated special walls to allow for easier Blizzard spamming, (remove comma) while also preventing Rapid Spin.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A suicide lead set can be utilized to decent effect considering Glalie has access to Taunt, Spikes, and even Explosion for avoiding Rapid Spin, (remove comma) as well as enough Speed to outpace Smeargle, though it faces almost immediate direct competition from the more flexible, slightly faster Qwilfish. Disable is an interesting option and could be used alongside Substitute moderately well, though generally it Glalie faces a lot of competition from the more well-rounded Walrein as a defensive hail abuser team member / Pokemon / some other word you prefer that isn't a form of 'to abuse'. Ice Shard offers Glalie STAB priority, though it remains is moderately weak overall. Fake Tears can be utilized to force out slower switch-ins with the prospect of a powerful Blizzard, though it Glalie faces immediate competition from Glaceon in this respect. Block can be utilized alongside Toxic in order to rack up damage on Pokemon such as Slowking and Cryogonal, though this means either dropping Blizzard, leaving it Glalie vulnerable to anything and everything immune to Toxic, or Spikes, outright erasing its main niche in the tier.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>Countering Glalie is somewhat of an odd task, as its primary goal is to wear down certain Pokemon in any way possible for a partner to sweep in any way possible (ignore my changes to this sentence if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying and you mean 'for a partner to sweep any way it can' not 'Glalie's goal is to wear down certain Pokemon any way it can'). Cryogonal is the most lasting "counter" to Glalie, being capable of taking repeated Blizzards without much trouble and spinning away its entry hazards, though it does need to be cautious of Toxic variants that are capable of stalling it out with Taunt. However, Kabutops, unlike Cryogonal, can both spin away Glalie's Spikes and threaten it with a powerful Stone Edge and switches in with little trouble. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are both similar cases, though their inability to effectively take on Ghost-types and neutrality to Blizzard somewhat inhibits them. Steel-types such as Klinklang and Rock Polish Aggron can force Glalie out with their powerful attacks and in turn set up safely. Escavalier can switch into to all but Super Fang safely and proceed to threaten Glalie with either Megahorn or Iron Head, (remove comma) while also being immune to hail damage. Powerful Fire-types such as Entei and Emboar can switch into Glalie with impunity and threaten it with their powerful STAB attacks, either KOing it or forcing it to switch out and take further entry hazard damage upon switching back in.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Very cool, thanks melvni =) Can't believe I let that "abuser" bit slip me by lol.

Anywho, unless QC has some last-minutes hangups with this, I'd call this ready for upload n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)