Gliscor (Analysis)

I didn't even think of Knock Off. Seriously, just use that instead. I guess Thief keeps Fling usable a bit longer, but who cares when you're just going to most likely throw the Leftovers or some boosting item.

Updated op with the minor changes, thief and knock off dont really deserve a own set, knock off could be mentioned though.

Currently in the process of writing it out

I just wanted to say Gliscor is awful against Porygon2, if you switch Porygon2 in you gain poison heal because of trace, so if you try flinging into a Porygon2, your in trouble, with poison heal and the Evolite stone Porygon2 almost becomes invincible, and can 1/2 hko it back with a ice beem

I still think that the Stallish Gliscor form 4th gen should be taken into account since it can toxic stall better than the poison heal variants do, due to the access of roost.

Has anyone else tried this set yet?

[SET]
name: Quicksand
move 1: Sand Tomb
move 2: Roost
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Toxic / Stealth Rock / U-Turn
item: Binding Band
ability: Sand Veil
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

It's a little out-there, but it works extremely well when used under the right circumstances thanks to the Binding Band boosting Sand Tomb's end-of-turn damage and Sand Tomb getting its base power changed from 15 to 35. At any rate, after you use Sand Tomb to trap your opponent and Taunt to prevent recovery moves, Baton Pass, or anything else, you can set up Stealth Rock or use Toxic or switch into another Pokemon to potentially take out your adversary or set up before your opponent succumbs to the residual damage. It can also be used closer to mid- to late-game if you already have a lead (ones with Toxic Spikes work best) and switch U-Turn into the last move-slot to help Gliscor escape and keep the momentum going. Obviously, Roost helps keep you alive and I probably don't need to mention how well this set works in the presence of a sandstorm.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or repeated someone else, but I figured this set bared mentioning if only because of its great potential. I also realize that it can be fairly situational and the EV's should probably be played around with but try to go easy on me; I'm new around here.

Are you serious? No mention of Flying gem gliscor anywere? Sure Gliscor is meant as a wall, but you have to admit it is pretty good with acrobatics. It can do pretty good on a sandstorm team with sand veil (since you cant use toxic orb). I'm pretty sure that flying/ground is only resisted by bronzong (who i haven't seen much this gen, like 1 or 2) and electross (or what ever its called). Air Balloon Excadrill (Doryuuzu for those who dont bother to learn the english names) will only resist this until you pop the balloon, but it will most likely switch since you wall it. Seriously, i dont see this combo much, and I think its way underrated.

Are you serious? No mention of Flying gem gliscor anywere? Sure Gliscor is meant as a wall, but you have to admit it is pretty good with acrobatics. It can do pretty good on a sandstorm team with sand veil (since you cant use toxic orb). I'm pretty sure that flying/ground is only resisted by bronzong (who i haven't seen much this gen, like 1 or 2) and electross (or what ever its called). Air Balloon Excadrill (Doryuuzu for those who dont bother to learn the english names) will only resist this until you pop the balloon, but it will most likely switch since you wall it. Seriously, i dont see this combo much, and I think its way underrated.
Flying Gem is generally inferior to Toxic Orb. The one time boost of Flying Gem doesn't warrant much use because you can use Fling to get rid of the Toxic Orb and fair better in the end. I'd take a stab 110 Base Power Attack + Consistent Automatic Recovery over a single power up to that aforementioned attacked any day. In the end, the long term healing is much better.

Leftovers will usually be the better option on Sand Veil Gliscor. Flying Gem could work, but I don't think it warrants its own set. Not really sure if it deserves to mentioned in OC either.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uhh...... You do realise that all other acrobats would be more powerful than the first right? (50% boost vs 2x boost)

Also, Optimusje, on the first set, why is Ice Fang the first slash and it isnt mentioned in the set comments section while Facade is? Maybe you edited the set without changing the writing, idk but you should probably fix that :p

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this analysis is bloody awful. The swords dance set is everywhere. What is it trying to do? Is it a wall? Is it offensive? Scrap the defensive set and list the fling set first. It's the most common and effective one.

[SET]
name: Acrofling
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Fling
move 4: Protect / Swords Dance / Taunt
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
evs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpDef

• Earthquake and Acrobat are both powerful STAB moves that give gliscor offensive presence and great coverage.
  • Fling Is the crux of the set, powering up acrobatics and threatening walls who stay in with poison.
  • The last slot can be customized to suit your needs. Protect will give gliscor room to recover 25% of it's HP over two turns, and can scout for ice moves on the pokes he walls, such as landorus.
  • Swords dance gives gliscor an offensive edge, giving him enough power to KO opponents such as reuniclus and hippowdon, who he would otherwise struggle against.
  • Taunt is always a solid choice, stopping stall in it's tracks and giving gliscor amazing utility.
  • 244 HP EVs give gliscor 352 HP, which is his highest lefties number, maximizing poison healing. Defense is maxed to take physical hits, and the rest is put in special defense to buffer gliscor against weak special hits, and give him a chance to survive weaker ice attacks. An unstabbed HP ice coming from 266 special attack (base 115 with o EV investment) fails to KO this gliscor.
  • U-turn, ice fang and fire fang are also options. Mention somewhere?
  • If you want more speed, take it out of his defense. Common speeds to aim for are:
240: outspeeds adamant breloom, OHKOing with acrobatics.
244: outspeeds jolly tyranitar.
260: outspeeds adamant blaziken. (moot now)
280: outspeeds timid heatran and adamant lucario
285: outspeeds all base 80 pokes.
289: Speed ties with other neutral base 95 pokes. Can possibly get the jump on darmanitan, KOing with earthquake.

[SET]
name: AcroBling (offensive booster)
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Rock Polish / Fire Fang
item: Flight Gem
ability: Hyper Cutter / Sand Veil
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

• Has surpise factor, decent speed, power and bulk.
  • Powerful STABs, with flight gem to boost acrobatics.
  • Rock polish with jolly hits 634 speed. Adamant maxes out at 578.
  • Fire fang hits ferrothorn and skarmory.
  • Other options include baton pass, ice fang (what would you be using this for?) taunt, roost and quick attack.
  • A base 110 power acrobatics off 578/634 attack is a powerful sweeping tool, especially when backed by STAB EQ. Flying has great neutral coverage.
Discuss. The old EQ/ice fang/stealth rock/roost type set could also be mentioned, as it's still a viable choice.

Or how about we don't because this has already been approved by QC with the EV spread on Swords Dance (which actually works amazingly in my time using it), and the name "AcroBling" has to be the worst set name you could've used, and it's really just shit considering that A) Your not using Poison Heal, which would be fine if you were using Roost, but you're not. B) Why the fuck are you using Flight Gem for? Leftovers would work 4x better in the item slot (or just use Poison Heal and get more healing and status immunity), and C) What the hell does Rock Polish or Fire Fang have over better options like Taunt and Roost?

244 HP EVs give gliscor 352 HP, which is his highest lefties number, maximizing poison healing. Defense is maxed to take physical hits, and the rest is put in special defense to buffer gliscor against weak special hits, and give him a chance to survive weaker ice attacks. An unstabbed HP ice coming from 266 special attack (base 115 with o EV investment) fails to KO this gliscor.
A Gliscor with no SpD investment always survives a unboosted Hidden Power Ice from 266 Special Attack, so that little buffer point is usless considering it only helps take 3% off from it, which is not going to help Gliscor survive at all. Also, hitting a Lefties number ( or Poison Heal number in this case) is completely usless and unescessary for Gliscor. Jibaku explained this last page and it seems you completely ignored him.

uhh...

Lefties numbers are overrated. In some analyses I would actually avoid Lefties number due to increasing residual damage as well (that is, if that Pokemon isn't immune to Sandstorm). Fortunately Gliscor is pretty much immune to every residual damage.

You don't actually gain anything from it and Gliscor gets a tiiiny bit more bulk with maxing out HP, but that's worth more than chopping down 8 EVs from his HP

Boring example
352 HP / 367 Def / 186 SpDef (stats from first set, -2 HP, +2 Def)

VS

354 HP / 365 Def / 186 SpDef (stats from first set)

Second spread has 0.57% more special bulk and 0.02% more physical bulk.

Yeah so no

Anyways I'd like to drop in to say that I approve of the Swords Dancer set though I wouldn't really like it being first because I hate facing it x_x

Lastly, The non-Poison Heal sets should only get mention in OO's. They really don't work as well because Gliscor needs every turn he can get to actually do something besides Roost and get almost nothing done.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Or how about we don't because this has already been approved by QC with the EV spread on Swords Dance (which actually works amazingly in my time using it), and the name "AcroBling" has to be the worst set name you could've used, and it's really just shit considering that A) Your not using Poison Heal, which would be fine if you were using Roost, but you're not. B) Why the fuck are you using Flight Gem for? Leftovers would work 4x better in the item slot (or just use Poison Heal and get more healing and status immunity), and C) What the hell does Rock Polish or Fire Fang have over better options like Taunt and Roost?

A Gliscor with no SpD investment always survives a unboosted Hidden Power Ice from 266 Special Attack, so that little buffer point is usless considering it only helps take 3% off from it, which is not going to help Gliscor survive at all. Also, hitting a Lefties number ( or Poison Heal number in this case) is completely usless and unescessary for Gliscor. Jibaku explained this last page and it seems you completely ignored him.

Lastly, The non-Poison Heal sets should only get mention in OO's. They really don't work as well because Gliscor needs every turn he can get to actually do something besides Roost and get almost nothing done.
First, I should apologize to Optimusje and the QC team. I really don't know why I was so rude before. I didn't mean to insult anyone.

I do think that the analysis needs to be changed a little though. The acrobling set is one of mine, and I'm suggesting it as an offensive option. It uses flight gem so it can have a full power acrobatics rather than use aerial ace. The max attack and speed spread is used to differentiate it from the defensive set. It would take too many turns to set up if it used fling IMO.

The acrofling set seems to be the most popular set. Why has it been listed last? Suggesting an offensive spread on the set seems backwards when you have a swords dance set listed that's obviously supposed to be offensive.

Toxic and facade on the defensive set seems inferior to fling and acrobatics. I'd suggest this:

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 2: Acrobatics / Facade
move 3: Fling / Toxic
move 4: Taunt / Protect / Swords Dance
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe

I completely forgot about the hp EV thing with Jibaku...

Also, Optimusje, on the first set, why is Ice Fang the first slash and it isnt mentioned in the set comments section while Facade is? Maybe you edited the set without changing the writing, idk but you should probably fix that :p
Yeah, Im currently writing it out (finally) and its just a bit outdated in here. It wont be in the final thing, so dont worry.

As to the thing about the sets being mixed up, if youd actually read a few bits back, theres plenty of explanation as to why they are in this order/have these moves/evs/etc. stuff like flight gem and non poison heal variants will get a mention, but they dont deserver their own set, as they are simply inferior to poison heal variants.

Anyways, ill probably get this done over the weekend, at long last ;_;

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The Swords Dance set should stay on the top. Here are a couple of reasons:

- For Acrobatics to become effective, a turn and moveslot must be spent for Fling. The Swords Dance set does not have to go through this. Facade hits a neat 140 base power to begin with (well Gliscor has to get Poisoned but getting Poisoned is automatic at the end of turn - Fling must be used to power up Acro) while Ice Fang hits some of the most notable Pokemon in OU for SE damage (Dragonite, Gliscor, Garchomp, Landorus, mainly).

- Swords Dance set has the potential to score sweeps on more stallish teams. This is much harder for the Acrobatics set because it can't get the boosts necessary to sweep away. Given Gliscor's virtual immunity to passive damage, it has a lot of opportunities to come in and pose a constant threat, especially considering that stallish teams cope with dangerous set up threats through passive damage.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, fair enough, But I still think that the acrofling set is being brushed aside to compensate for gliscors four moveslot syndrome. It's plenty powerful enough without swords dance (it can't sweep without it though) and facade seems like an inferior option to acrobatics. One of the main things that I worry about when facing gliscor isn't how to work around its defensive presence, it's avoiding the toxic fling. You can't counter it with certain pokes if they're going to be poisoned.

Could a sun-abusing set be viable? Like Instead of protect/taunt use fire punch or instead of Ice Punch?

Um... why? What exactly are you hitting with Fire? Grass and Bug are already killed by STAB Acrobatics. Ice? Weavile would not like to switch into you. You wouldn't want to switch into him either, because bulky as you are you will be OHKO/2HKOed by Ice Shard. Mamoswine is even worse, as he is bulkier than Weavile and can hit just as hard with Ice Shard. Ferrothorn, maybe, but you don't even need to kill Ferrothorn; just Taunt him away. Plus lack of STAB, loss of protection/chance to shut down walls/chance to kill opposing Gliscor, weather changers everywhere... no. Bad idea.

Forgot to mention Steel, but you have STAB EQ for that.

I just wanted to say Gliscor is awful against Porygon2, if you switch Porygon2 in you gain poison heal because of trace, so if you try flinging into a Porygon2, your in trouble, with poison heal and the Evolite stone Porygon2 almost becomes invincible, and can 1/2 hko it back with a ice beem
That's why you don't Fling onto a porygon2? You don't just hit it on whatever you're currently against. Use it wisely, or at least a little wiser than that..

He meant if you switch in a porygon2 on a predicted Fling from Gliscor. And even if it doesn't, porygon2 walls any gliscor that doesn't have SD and even then it is threatened with an ice beam that will near ohko it if not just straight out OHKO.

Yes, porygon2 with evolite is a pretty strong gliscor counter unless they have knock off.

So when are we going to mention Sub+Protect? It can stall out anything vulnerable to Toxic easily!

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Gliscor is an extremely important Pokemon in BW OU, and I'm disappointed that this thread hasn't seen many updates, especially since it's been up for quite some time.

Iconic has expressed interest in writing Gliscor, so I'll be giving it to him. He uses it on virtually every team so I know for a fact that he would write a top-notch analysis for this 'mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)