GlitchPop

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

GlitchPop is a fairly new and unkown genre. It started in grungy techno and E clubs in LA when some DJs finally got fed up with the overglossed, oversimplified, overcommercialized Techno/Dance/Trance/Extacy crap that was being puked out by the corporatemachines like Sony and Universal. You'll never see this stuff on MTV, or VH1, or whatever all the cool kids are all watching these days. GlitchPop is a fairly precise genre. One criticism that I always hear is that all GlitchPop bands sound alike, but that's kind of the point. That's what makes them GlitchPop bands and not Punk or Country or Rap bands. The thing that makes all GlitchPop bands GlitchPop bands is the focus on the "4 on the Floor" beat and Fat Synth Bass Lines. The thing that makes each individual GlitchPop band unique is their choice of sampling and mixing. You can easily tell each band apart after you've spent even a little time listening to each of them. I can't say I'm a fan of all the bands. Some times what they do with the sampling just drives me nuts. But the following are a handful of my favorites and I think you guys'll like them too.

Creepy Criminals
Don't Hate Me (Creeper Version)
I thought I'd start it off with a Vancouver band that a few of you might have heard. They started like way back in 1998, but had to produce crappy commercialized stuff because the technology just hadn't caught up with their brilliant songwriting yet. They released their first major GlitchPop album in 2010 titled "Crimes and Hatecrimes". It didn't sell very well, but they've got a great following in and around Vancouver. They're a little more "hardcore" as GlitchPop bands go, but I figure because of their former (thankgod) commercial background they'd be the easiest GlitchPop band for beginners to ease into. I saw them the last time they were at the Pageant here in St. Louis. Bought a CD and a shirt.

Seven Storey Blonde
Love Me / Hate Me
Seven Storey Blonde has some amazing live shows. I saw one on Youtube where the leadsinger almost ripped all her clothes off while stagediving in the middle of a song. Like, who does that? They've got a smoother sound than Creepy Criminals, but they're not like, sellouts or anything. I've listened to almost all of their albums and they're definitely still true to their belief in producing quality, low-fi anti-gloss, anti-simplified, anti-recordlabel, anti-establishment music. This song comes off the album Stop Looking At My Shirt from back in 2009 when they toured with DJPassive. The last time they were at Pop's here in St. Louis they were over-the-top. It was a great show!

The Yearling Sweater
Take My Hand (Take My Life)
Its hard to believe they recorded this stuff when they were all 16 and 17! They started making music together recording it in Adam's basement back in their Freshman year, but they didn't actually produce antyhing serious that anyone would want to listen to until their Junior year. Pretty much all their stuff after that is worth a listen too. As GlitchPop bands go, they've got a really young and fresh sound. That's probably because they were like 10 when older GlitchPop bands like Creepy Criminals were coming up with the first sounds. Its kind of refreshing to hear a new take on GlitchPop where you can still hear the roots if you listen hard enough. I was a mazed that these "kids" for lack of a better term almost filled up like half of the Scott Trade Center last summer! This stuff might actually finally really be catching on!

DJPassive Psychology And The Mood
thinking is for squares
I didn't really know if I should include these guys in this list. But they did tour with Seven Storey Blonde, and technically it is "Four on the Floor", so I don't really have any problem calling these guys GlitchPop too. This song is amazing. You know, its one of those "I can't stop listening to it and just leave it on repeat for hours" kind of songs. Most of DJPassive's stuff is a little more sampled and looped than I personally like, but this song fits right in. Their album Rorschach Test sold pretty well on the East Coast, New York and stuff like that. I'm kind of worried that they're going to sell out because they're actually selling records, but we'll just have to wait and hope and see.

The Flaming Autists
I'm Not Gay (I'm Just An Autist)
Hooray for Local St. Louis Bands! The Flaming Autists started in Maryville, near St. Louis and played their first big show down at Pop's. They're even on some local stations like The Point and The Wood around here. Its great to see a band that started in St. Louis finally getting somewhere! They still haven't reached a nationwide audience, but I think that's kind of the story for GlitchPop in general. I go see them a few times a year when they're playing downtown or around the area. Check out their new album "Ray Charles is my Savior". Its a great deal for the price!

So What do you guys think? Is anyone else into the GlitchPop scene? Do you know of any other good bands? Does it rock/suck?

discuss

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
these are all the same fucking song what you playing at here matt?

Seriously, I have listened to genres that all use the same sample (bounce's use of the triggaman beat -- see showboys dragrap) but they at least seem to be able to add some variability to each song. In this case I literally can't distinguish a few of the ones you listed.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Geez you guys. I said right there in the OP that the most common complaint about GlitchPop is that the songs all sound the same. Most GlitchPop artists do share the same samples and sources. Its the way they weave them together, what filters they use and where, and the overall "theme" and "feel" that each artist brings to the material.

After all, its not about telling a story. Its all about creating a mood, along with a great beat to dance to. One artist can take a certain sample and mold it like a master sculptor to create a dark, gloomy atmosphere. Another can take that same sample and create a fun, playful, light tune that just makes ya wanna jump! Its all about the subtleties and nuance and flavor of the individual.

It could just be that these beats are just too fresh for this crowd though. Society doesn't take well to change, and the lamestream media won't give these artists a chance.

But then again GlitchPop isn't for everyone. Everyone has their own tastes.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
LOL those videos were posted like an hour before you made this topic.

What a strange coincidence.
Not to mention that all of them were posted by the same user.

But I digress, this music, albeit new to my palette of favorite genres, is something I might look into.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Unlike the majority of posters, I actually enjoy this. I'll look into this some more.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I thought glitch was good because it steered so clear of melodical stuff?

I don't know I thought the song in the op was pretty good though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)