Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an offensive core that has worked wonders for me in UU, and functions decently in OU aswell.
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Knock off
-Crabhammer
-Superpower
-Aqua jet

Sharpedo @ Life orb
Ability: Speed boost
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
-Adamant/Naughty Nature
-Protect
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Earthquake/Ice beam
Basically, both Crawdaunt and Sharpedo share similar checks/counters, so the premise of this core is to bring in Crawdaunt, and fire off very powerful attacks, and wear down said shared checks. Once all those checks have been weakened/ko'd, Sharpedo comes in and cleans up. This core does share weaknesses, and both of them, especially Sharpedo, are pretty frail, but pair them with a nice defensive backbone to cover their weaknesses and give them free switches and it does work.
I would mention how devastating Mach Punch would be to this core, but since this is UU, Mach Punch isn't of issue unless you run into the rare offensive Hitmontop. I like what you got going here, with Crawdaunt breaking down walls for Sharpedo to come in and dispose of them. Ice Beam is a must, if you wanna get past Chesnaught easier.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
That is genius, sir. Editing the post. Didn't even occur to me lel.
Don't forget that Iron Ball actually still slows the opponent down, so things like Thundurus-T and other faster mons that can threaten a Revenge Kill get put down for the count, so at the cost of Sableye maybe getting a Scarf in return, you know have a much easier time attempting a midgame sweep, and don't have to pressure yourself anymore for getting MPinsir that +2 as bad. Also, while a gimmicky option, you could always add in Memento to make that happen easier.

Keep in mind, what I'm saying is still gimmicky, but simply some thoughts for food (did I get that right)?

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Brave Bird

not viable (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore/ Power-Up Punch

Not sure if this was posted or not. Definitely not sifting through 39 pages either. Bulky water, ground and water/ground types resist Talonflame's glorious Brave Bird's. That's where Breloom comes in, it effectively KO's the aforementioned pokemon types. Breloom struggles against Skarmory & Aegis along with Mega Venusaur, Mega Pinsir and etc. Talonflame can handle himself pretty well against those pokemon. Rock Slide to hit flying types on switches. 208 speed evs on Talonflame to outspeed jolly Mega-Pinsir's quick attack. Everything else is pretty standard for both pokemon.

Don't forget that Iron Ball actually still slows the opponent down, so things like Thundurus-T and other faster mons that can threaten a Revenge Kill get put down for the count, so at the cost of Sableye maybe getting a Scarf in return, you know have a much easier time attempting a midgame sweep, and don't have to pressure yourself anymore for getting MPinsir that +2 as bad. Also, while a gimmicky option, you could always add in Memento to make that happen easier.

Keep in mind, what I'm saying is still gimmicky, but simply some thoughts for food (did I get that right)?
It's food for thought xD but everything you typed is awesome, bro, just awesome. :]

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

^Pretty much the core I've been using on every team lately, usually with Deo-S. Since Latios gets hard walled by Chansey and Aegislash (To remedy Aegislash, I could run Shadow Ball, but T-Bolt is too good to pass up imo), Bisharp can threaten chansey with Knock Off and just straight up pursuit trap Aegislash very easily. I usually have rocks up when I use this core because of deo s, so if need be, i can wear down the opp's walls with aggressive double switching. I already posted this core, but I wanted to elaborate on it a bit.

Last edited:
Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

We all know what Mandibuzz does by now. It has immense overall bulk, Defog, Roost, Foul Play and Taunt. Furthermore, it deals with pokes like Aegislash and Talonflame very efficiently. I decided to couple it with Jirachi to get a solid defensive core. Mandibuzz takes physical hits, while Jirachi takes special hits. Jirachi also provides Wish, Stealth Rock and Paralysis support and, as you remember from 5th gen, ParaFlinch shenanigans. Together they have 13 resistances of which three immunities. For reference, there are 18 types ingame. Pretty good for just two pokemon.

So to sum it all up, the reasons you should use this core are:
- Taunt
- Defog
- Overcoat
- Physical wall
- Foul Play
- Wish support
- Paralysis support
- Stealth Rock Support
- Paraflinch
- Many resistances
- Good synergy
- Difficult to setup on
- Solid means of recovery
- Special wall
- Three immunities

The spreads and movesets can easily be played around with depending on your teams needs, e.g. you could run Knock Off on Mandibuzz, run more physical bulk (I just like Taunting max speed Adamant Scizor before it SD's), move Stealth Rock from Jirachi to something else and run Protect instead etc.

I posted a brief version of this in the Mega Ampharos thread but I'll post it here too, in more detail. This is sort of a combination of two cores at once, so it takes 4 pokemon. You're warned.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SAtk / 20 SDef / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast / Rest
- Heal Bell / Sleep Talk

Mega Ampharos is here for its biggest niche: slow, powerful Volt Switches. The actual set is up to you, you can either run 3 attacks and Heal Bell to take care of burns and paralysis on teammates, or run RestTalk to come in more often. Since it's a high offense core, the former is more likely better. Same deal with the EVs, run whatever balance of bulk and special attack that you want.

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost / whatever

Scizor does a similar role to Ampharos. It is somewhat support with Defog (the other two members desperately need it), and gives slow U-Turns to other members as well. Bullet Punch is just standard on Scizor, I guess, and Roost is good for obvious reasons but it's not mandatory. Scizor has nice synergy with Mega Ampharos, with every weakness covered except Ground. But Ground attacks are just another method of safe switch-in to...

Talonflame @ Sky Plate / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Swords Dance sweeping Talonflame. I'll spoil it and say that it's with Staraptor below, which is why there is the slightly weird looking SD+Uturn combo, to get convenient switches to Talonflame's counters, most of which are screwed up by CB Staraptor. Staraptor will just keep smacking anything that dares to try and think it can counter both Talonflame and Staraptor, wearing down nearly all of Talonflame's counters to the point where it should be able to sweep.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- Quick Attack / U-Turn

This Staraptor+Talonflame core is already pretty standard by now. Staraptor lures out a lot of Flying resists that happen to be Talonflame's counters, and smashes them really hard with Choice Band, Reckless, 120 Base attack, STAB, 120 base power Brave Bird. Or Close Combat, if the opponent dares to use something like a Heatran or Tyranitar, which normally counter Talonflame. Or Double-Edge, which is really just there for Rotom-W and Zapdos.

Both Talonflame and Staraptor are pretty frail as it is, but they also have stealth rock weaknesses and too much reliance on recoil. That's why Ampharos and Scizor are there to get them in without taking any hits, since even coming in on a resisted hit means they'll die faster. Every HP of damage Talonflame or Staraptor takes is 3 HP it can't dish back with STAB moves. Having Defog and Heal Bell support in those two pokemon is just even better.

I've been using this "defensive core" for a while, and it's been doing great.

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off

The screens only enhance M-Venusaur and Mandibuzz bulk, and allow them to take even more hits.

"Defensive core" because it wasn't meant to be a core. I put these guys together on a team around SD Talonflame, but they do so well on their on that Talonflame almost doesn't see the sunlight. I was using Klefki as a screener instead of Latias, but I feel Latias works better because I can switch to offense at any point.

What constitutes a good core?

Successful teams in the past (usually famous stall teams) have had to rely on up to 4 Pokemon at once but formed an amazing core.

Other cores can get the job done with a scant 2 Pokemon.

Should the aim be to find the most efficient and smallest core possibles, like SkarmBliss back in the day, or is the norm simply settling for 3 Pokemon?

This core here is a very good defensive core:

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

This set works similar to SkarmBliss. Sylveon keeps Aggron and Itself alive, while aggron dishes out damage. Aggron takes physical attacks while slyveon takes the special.

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall / Crabhammer

Talonflame @ Sky Plate / Sharp Beak
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance / U-turn
- Roost

I've been planning to use this core. On paper this looks like a decent offensive core. Talonflame removes those Bug, Fighting and Grass types while Crawdaunt destroys Talonflame's checks and counters like Tyranitar and cripples Rotom-W and co. rather well.

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 310-366 (101.9 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 226-268 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The only problem is that with Crawdaunt's pitiful speed, a max speed Adamant Crawdaunt only manages to outspeed uninvested Rotom by 1 point. :\ Revenge-killing could prove difficult as both carry priority moves. The Electric weakness can be an issue, so Excadrill can be a good team mate as he's immune to Electric attacks and can spin away hazards that are an issue for Talonflame who has x4 weakness to SR and Crawdaunt as he'll be switching in and out a lot. Azumarill can replace Crawdaunt though, but the sheer awesomeness of Knocking Off a wall's item is too good to pass up. Any thoughts on how to improve this core?

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Substitute/Hidden Power [Ground]

Bisharp @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

Now this core is something I like a lot. They cover each other so well it's amazing. I'm currently using this on my main team which also includes a Rotom-W to cover Bisharp's Fire weakness, although, with all of the physical Flare Blitz' going around Gardevior still takes them neutrally well.
Things like Rotom, Gengar, Quagsire, and even Porygon seem to make amazing teammates. Talonflame and Gengar make great late sweepers for these guys, as they aren't the fastest things in the regions. A good Prankster user (Not Klefki, oh god it's so bad...) also seems to benefit the team such as Thundurus. Gyarados might be a really good combo to go with because of Excadrill popping up here and there. The one thing that makes me sad is Gardevior's low defense, so I make it maxed out to at least be decent, and along with a good Calm Mind can generally sweep well. HP Ground is good if you'd prefer coverage > setting up time, as it'll take out your biggest counter, Heatran. Bisharp generally takes out a lot of the things Garden can't do on her own, though, a fighting type move may be a good choice.
The only thing that fully counters this core is Aegislash, so a good Garchomp or Dragonite could be quite useful in this sense.

I also use the Gardevoir / Bisharp offensive core, except I use Knock Off over Night Slash and I use it with Sticky Web support. With Sticky Web out, these two are incredibly hard to deal with.

You guys are probably getting sick of seeing me here all the time, but why not? This time, I got a core for RU.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs / Scarf
Ability: Blaze (Since Flash Fire isn't released yet. T_T)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Rock

Kabutops @ Life Ob
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Gourgeist-H @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Shadow Sneak
- Seed Bomb

Okay, where to begin? Typhlosion and Kabutops were excellent partners in BW RU, and they still are today. Kabutops provides Rapid Spin support so Typhlosion can unleash a full powered Eruption. However, Kabutops and Typhlosion also have pretty bad type synergy, as they share a Ground-type weakness, making Pokemon like Sandslash and Flygon terrors for the two to face off against. This is where the mighty physical wall Gourgeist comes in, possessing great 374/377 physical bulk, while covering most of Typhlosion and Kabutops' weaknesses. In addition, Gourgeist also has decent type coverage with the combination of Shadow Sneak and Seed Bomb, and the recovery from Leftovers and Leech Seed is enough for me to forgo Pain Split. What do you guys think, viable in RU?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You guys are probably getting sick of seeing me here all the time, but why not? This time, I got a core for RU.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs / Scarf
Ability: Blaze (Since Flash Fire isn't released yet. T_T)
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Rock

Kabutops @ Life Ob
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Gourgeist-H @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Shadow Sneak
- Seed Bomb

Okay, where to begin? Typhlosion and Kabutops were excellent partners in BW RU, and they still are today. Kabutops provides Rapid Spin support so Typhlosion can unleash a full powered Eruption. However, Kabutops and Typhlosion also have pretty bad type synergy, as they share a Ground-type weakness, making Pokemon like Sandslash and Flygon terrors for the two to face off against. This is where the mighty physical wall Gourgeist comes in, possessing great 374/377 physical bulk, while covering most of Typhlosion and Kabutops' weaknesses. In addition, Gourgeist also has decent type coverage with the combination of Shadow Sneak and Seed Bomb, and the recovery from Leftovers and Leech Seed is enough for me to forgo Pain Split. What do you guys think, viable in RU?
Well, you probably should've posted this here (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-possible-future.3492167/page-5#post-5249556), as this is the OU thread. RU isn't a metagame yet, but since you posted, I'll critique it. First, I love the Typhlosion/Kabutops core, as they both are offensive monsters. However, one thing I dislike is rapid spin on Kabutops. Sure, it's a viable user of it, and sure Typhlosion hates rocks, but when Rapid Spin
a) Takes away 10% every time you use it, and
b) Costs you the ability to use Waterfall,
I just don't think it's worth it. Also, I prefer phantom force on Gourgeist to stall out more turns of Leech Seed and Will-o-wisp.

Lastly, don't count Gourgeist out of UU just yet. Weavile got banned, so its usage will likely increase.

Overall, nice RU core.

I've been using a decent VoltTurn core of Rotom-W/Landorus-T:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge

Also fits well with Mega-Scizor if you have the mega slot open:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Erm, yeh.

I've been using a decent VoltTurn core of Rotom-W/Landorus-T:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge

Also fits well with Mega-Scizor if you have the mega slot open:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Erm, yeh.
I've been running a very similar Rotom-W / Landorus-T core, but without AV on Landorus-T. How do you think the vest helps and/or hurts him? I might want to try it out.

Well, you probably should've posted this here (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...e-possible-future.3492167/page-5#post-5249556), as this is the OU thread. RU isn't a metagame yet, but since you posted, I'll critique it. First, I love the Typhlosion/Kabutops core, as they both are offensive monsters. However, one thing I dislike is rapid spin on Kabutops. Sure, it's a viable user of it, and sure Typhlosion hates rocks, but when Rapid Spin
a) Takes away 10% every time you use it, and
b) Costs you the ability to use Waterfall,
I just don't think it's worth it. Also, I prefer phantom force on Gourgeist to stall out more turns of Leech Seed and Will-o-wisp.

Lastly, don't count Gourgeist out of UU just yet. Weavile got banned, so its usage will likely increase.

Overall, nice RU core.
Wait, Weavile is actually banned from UU? How is this thing supposed to function in OU with all the Conkeldurr running around?

I posted a brief version of this in the Mega Ampharos thread but I'll post it here too, in more detail. This is sort of a combination of two cores at once, so it takes 4 pokemon. You're warned.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SAtk / 20 SDef / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast / Rest
- Heal Bell / Sleep Talk

Mega Ampharos is here for its biggest niche: slow, powerful Volt Switches. The actual set is up to you, you can either run 3 attacks and Heal Bell to take care of burns and paralysis on teammates, or run RestTalk to come in more often. Since it's a high offense core, the former is more likely better. Same deal with the EVs, run whatever balance of bulk and special attack that you want.

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost / whatever

Scizor does a similar role to Ampharos. It is somewhat support with Defog (the other two members desperately need it), and gives slow U-Turns to other members as well. Bullet Punch is just standard on Scizor, I guess, and Roost is good for obvious reasons but it's not mandatory. Scizor has nice synergy with Mega Ampharos, with every weakness covered except Ground. But Ground attacks are just another method of safe switch-in to...

Talonflame @ Sky Plate / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Swords Dance sweeping Talonflame. I'll spoil it and say that it's with Staraptor below, which is why there is the slightly weird looking SD+Uturn combo, to get convenient switches to Talonflame's counters, most of which are screwed up by CB Staraptor. Staraptor will just keep smacking anything that dares to try and think it can counter both Talonflame and Staraptor, wearing down nearly all of Talonflame's counters to the point where it should be able to sweep.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- Quick Attack / U-Turn

This Staraptor+Talonflame core is already pretty standard by now. Staraptor lures out a lot of Flying resists that happen to be Talonflame's counters, and smashes them really hard with Choice Band, Reckless, 120 Base attack, STAB, 120 base power Brave Bird. Or Close Combat, if the opponent dares to use something like a Heatran or Tyranitar, which normally counter Talonflame. Or Double-Edge, which is really just there for Rotom-W and Zapdos.

Both Talonflame and Staraptor are pretty frail as it is, but they also have stealth rock weaknesses and too much reliance on recoil. That's why Ampharos and Scizor are there to get them in without taking any hits, since even coming in on a resisted hit means they'll die faster. Every HP of damage Talonflame or Staraptor takes is 3 HP it can't dish back with STAB moves. Having Defog and Heal Bell support in those two pokemon is just even better.
(Talonflame) Using U-Turn and Swords Dance in the same set is a bad idea, use one but not the other. Replace the one you want by Roost or WoW. l personally recommend taking off UTurn if you dont have any rapidspin/defog user.

U-Turn and Swords Dance aren't supposed to be used at the same time. U-Turn is so that you can bring Talonflame out early game, and before you actually get a sweep off, the opponent will probably switch to their talonflame counter. You can respond to whatever they switch to by U-turning to Staraptor or whatever else handles it. And There is a defog user right in the core, Scizor

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
My signature Dragonite-Excadrill core works absolute wonders!

Not only do they cover each others' type weaknesses (Dragonite resists Fighting, Fire, Water, and Ground while Excadrill resists Fairy, Rock, and Dragon while being neutral to Ice), but they also support each other very nicely! Dragonite easily disposes of Excadrill's counters like Talonflame, Scarftran, and Aegislash. And Excadrill gets rid of Stealth Rock, which Dragonite despises while also Iron Heading Fairies to death!

From my experience (1600+ Elo rank), this is a GREAT core!

Last edited:
Life for weavile certainly is difficult in OU :(

It still does hit very hard, and is viable, but Conk messes it up.
Oh, I think I can understand why. The Steel nerf makes Weavile's Dark-typing desirable for Ghosts, and Weavile has a decent Special Defense stat to go about switching into a Shadow Ball. In addition, the buff to Knock Off and access to Icicle Crash gave Weavile access to much more powerful STABs, and Icicle Crash has the added bonus of Flinching, while Knock Off can remove items. You know what? Infernape and Conkeldurr are the only common Mach Punch users in OU right now, as well as other priority users, so I can see Weavile's viability. But enough about Weavile, unless we decide to build a core around him...

EDIT: Okay, unless one of you devious users decides to take my idea, I'll do a Weavile core myself. (Grunts angrily)

Tricksten (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Not A Dragon (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze => Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

Let there be Stealth Rock! Yes, I know this core is extremely weak to the most common entry hazard in the game, but just hear me out. Weavile can't deal with stuff like Skarmory, Forretress, Scizor, and Conkeldurr, right? This is where MegaZard Y comes in, as it checks or counters all of those Pokemon that give Weavile trouble. Meanwhile, Weavile can actually dispose of Chansey thanks to Knock Off, and then proceed to finish it off with Ice Punch or Low Kick. As I said before, Rapid Spin support is a must, but I have a good idea for that.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Now, this may look like a weird Starmie set, right? I mean, what kind of Starmie doesn't carry Ice Beam? The reason I don't have Ice Beam is because I'm not worried about Grass or Dragon-types, as Weavile and Mega Charizard Y deal with both of those. I run Psychic over Ice Beam because I'm also worried about Tentacruel, who doesn't mind taking on the former two, as well as serving as a backup for Mega Venusaur in case I lose Charizard before then. (Drought Fire Blast 2HKOs even Specially Defensive Mega Venusaur) In addition, Thunderbolt is used for taking on Gyarados, who could deal with the other two Pokemon fairly easily. Finally, the three have great type synergy together, with the only weakness between them that goes unresisted being Rock. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)