*Good* Creative / Unusual Moveset Thread

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I've been playing with gimmicks for awhile and I was surprised to find UU didn't have a creative moveset thread to discuss them. So here we go!

Some guidelines for better posting:

1. Play with a set before you post it! This is not a thread for "lol look i can run lock on and sheer cold on articuno lol" theorymon. It's for sets you've actually played with and found success using that deviate from the bog standards.
  2. Post GOOD sets. As in, at least almost as good as the standard set. A lot of Pokemon CAN do a lot of things, but not a lot of them *should*. Please don't be stupid.
  3. Skim the thread before you post. I'm not sure if I'm going to "archive" good sets in the OP yet or not, depends on how many we get, but at least make sure no one's posted the same set before you make a post please.

cim

So here's my first Creative Set. Not fantastic, but I like it better than the standard.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Dual screen Xatu solves a lot of the problems this Pokemon has with momentum and lets Xatu fight more hazard users than it otherwise could. Basically the idea is to come in on a hazard, paralyze if faster, set up the appropriate Screen, Roost off the damage, and then switch to something that can immediately threaten the hazard setter.

Just for some examples - it can come in on Froslass Spikes, Thunder Wave as it Ice Beams, then Light Screen to survive the second Ice Beam, and then Roost until you get a full paralysis or adequate health. It can also come in on Rhyperior Stealth Rock, Reflect to survive Rock Blast most of the time, then Roost-stall the remainder of Rock Blast's PP.

Xatu does have a problem here with not being able to attack, but with Magic Bounce blocking Taunt, it's much less of an issue. Xatu still isn't great, but at least this set supports the team a little better.

I have two submissions about some RU Pokemon that add an interesting twist to their use in UU.

@ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 104 SpA /152 Spe / 204 SpD
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Looking at this set one might think that it is incredibly strange, and it is, but it is tailored to some very specific threats in the UU environment. This set attains incredible Special bulk, as much as any Defensive Lanturn set minus leftovers. The difference lies in the specific layout of its Special Attack and Speed EVs. Using this spread, Lanturn outpaces 4 Speed EV Base 85 pokemon. While this may seem like an odd benchmark, it places Lanturn just ahead of Gligar and Suicune who are 1 and 2HKO'd (after SR in Suicune's case) with the respective coverage move. The real boon of this set is its ability to put a cold stop to a SubCM Raikou set. It hard counters Raikou even more than the usual Lanturn; Surf will break a +1 Substitute every time with the given EVs. I've successfully tested this Lanturn on Balanced and Offensive teams. While it is very niche, its incredible special bulk paired with the useful speed tier and moderate power it possesses make it a worthy pokemon. It has good synergy with Defensive Arcanine and the Nidoqueen set below, though both compound its Ground weakness.

@ Black Sludge
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 SpA
Nature: Bold
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Toxic Spikes

The change to the Nidoqueen set is far less dramatic. By shifting 80 EVs into SpA, Nidoqueen gains a guaranteed OHKO on Gligar after Stealth Rock and guaranteed 2HKOs of Offensive Zapdos, Crobat, and Heracross, none of which can effectively respond to Nidoqueen. In order to cover all of those threats in one set, Nidoqueen drops a phazing move (Roar, Dragon Tail) in favor of important coverage. Nidoqueen can also be used to set up Toxic Spikes which is a valuable asset to almost any team. This set is far less niche than the Lanturn set and I find that it often fits better on to my teams than the standard defensive one does.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
[pimg]151[/pimg]
Set: Bulk Up Mew
Mew @ Leftovers/ Tanga Berry
Trait: Synchronise
EVs:252 HP/248 SDef./8Spe
Carefull Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch
- $ucker Punch
- Bulk Up

This is a suprisingly good Mew set I have been testing on the ladder,and I gotta say ots good.With Mews All 100 stat spread,It uses this set well,With 100/100/100 Bulk and 252/0/248 investment and Bulk up,it takes hits well at +1 you can surrvive CS Herras megahorn,And with tanga berry,you alugh at it while you zen headbutt the bug into oblivion.Drain Punch helps greatly for Staying power and covrage,Sucker Punch hits hard at +1 and acts as a mini e-speed,KOing manythings like ghosts that would take mew down like OTR cofag and CS Chandy.The goal of this set is to accumulate multiple boosts,sit at a good amount of health,and sweep with zen/drain/Sucker covrage.This set does its job well,As it has noproblem sweeping through many teams in this meta when used properly.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb

By foregoing Roserade's offensive prowess and spike laying abilities, you discover the most effective leech seeder in UU. This is because of Roserade's powerful sludge bomb and sleep powder. This sets Roserade apart from other subseeders such as sceptile and whimsicott by threatening grass types with sludge bomb. Sleep powder lets it still set up on water types carrying ice beam even though it lacks giga drain. You want stealth rock up as this set forces a lot of switches. This set also has trouble getting around opposing defensive Roserades. Don't try hp investment because Sludge bomb will become a mediocre attack.

Cresselia@Tanga Berry
Trait: Levitate
EV's: 252Hp/252Def/4SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Moonlight

This set is built to be a great support set for any team who is having trouble with Heracross. Even at +1 or +2 with defensive EV's, Nature, and Tanga Berry MegaHorn will fail to OHKO you, at which point you Thunder Wave Hera and cripple it, or fire off a Psychic if it is weakened enough. Ice Beam keeps you from being walled by Gligar and Moonlight is your obvious recovery due to your lack of Leftovers.

I just love Froslass in this hail meta. She has an amazing speed tier, great stabs, and decent coverage. I've been trying out offensive-lass on a hail team and its been working wonders!

Froslass@Choice specs / Life Orb
Nature Timid
Ev: 252 SpA 4 spD 252 Spe
Blizzard
Shadow Ball / Spikes
Thunderbolt
Trick / Destiny Bond

Froslass has an amazing speed tier outspeeding the common base 100's. Late game on a hail team, she does a great job cleaning up. Stab blizzard hits really hard, and her stab shadow ball and thunderbolt compliment her coverage well. Spikes is a decent option over shadow ball due to boltbeam having flawless coverage as it is. This allowing froslass to support her hail team when needed and allows her to hold 3 niches(offensive, hazard setting, spin blocker). Trick does a great job on making walls like bronzong and snorlax(both of which who give hail trouble) a liability throughout the match. While destiny bond may seem like an odd choice, with the right prediction, it can be use as a last resort to take down a troublesome bulky sweeper.

cim

i guess i have trouble justifying specs froslass when you could use scarf rotom-f

Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 132 HP / 248 Atk / 128 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Encore

Sorry if this set isn't in line with the spirit of the thread. I only tweaked the EVs from RU to UU. I have 128 in speed for base 85s with 4 EVs of investment. 4 EVs have been moved from Atk to HP to reach a leftovers number. This Poli is made to counter bulky Water types and since they use mono water, sometimes ice beam and status/utility moves, his job is very easy. Aside from that, his Encore has helped me in almost every battle. Anything slower that uses stealth rock, sets up, statuses me as I sub, or uses a not very effective move can be encored to death. If you still don't think he's worth a shot, know that he carried me to rank 4 on the UU ladder.
In action-http://youtu.be/Mkuo4VvPmUo (Look Bigfoot is an alt btw, I got to #4 on Conker)

i guess i have trouble justifying specs froslass when you could use scarf rotom-f
Her speed and typing is why she's better(well not better but worth using). She has more opportunities to switch in, while having an excellent speed tier, and generally more utility. She's also more difficult to revenge kill due to an immunity to fighting and normal type priority. If you're gonna run offensive hail, a fast hard hitting ice type that can also set up hazards is pretty darn good.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
offensive froslass=ew only 80 base spa? i know blizzard is good stab and 110 base speed is nice but yeah rotom-f looks way cooler with electric typing and assuming the same set rotom-f is way stronger and bulkier. still fast enough to troll base 85s like Kingdra or nidoking

Poliwrath looking nice getting past scald burns but i think losing to Slowbro is a no-no if Poliwrath is supposed to counter bulky waters.

Sub Seed Roserade also looks fine but there are other things I rather be doing...like killing random shit with Leaf Storm.

you know what Pokeon could be here? Gothorita its good and although it doesn't have a weird moveset its uncommon so by extension I think this means any Gothorita set is an unusual one.

gothorita@specs
modest:252spa, 252 spe
  • psyshock/psychic
  • tbolt
  • grass knot
  • trick/hp ice

For the record this is way stronger than Scarf Gothitelle being able to OHKO all Swampert where Scarf Gothitelle failed to. Find yourself weak to a select few defensive threats? Slowbro is easily 2hkod as is Milotic and all other bulky waters and Hitmontop. Umbreon is completely crippled. P2 and Gligar is crippled although you can go use HP ice if you are desperate not to mention you steal eviolite which might help. Snorlax is crippled or taking heavy damage. there are more but its too boring to list them all and the best thing is gothorita even with a modest nature maintains enough speed to outpace Suicune and Gligar. Timid lets you beat even Xatu although I think Modest's power is better unless you are weak to xatu. And fyi is you need to get an OHKO on defensive Qwilfish use Tbolt not Psyshock because it has such low spdef Tbot actually does significantly more than Psyshock.

this guy is not bad at all especially when paired with offensive pokemon with uturn (Mienshao, Darm, Flygon) to further ease trapping.

Look at that beast!

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Morning Sun
- Close Combat

This is pretty similar to the physically defensive set on Smogon but I like this better.

The EVs and leftovers allow it to function as a bulky Arcanine and it works well with a Rapid Spinner. If there are no Stealth Rocks on the field, it becomes one of the best Choice Scarf Heracross counters and it doesn't even need to be physically defensive.

The combination of Flare Blitz, Close Combat and Extremespeed provides really good coverage and allows Arcanine to rip through teams with 252 Attack EVs. The only problem with this set is that Arcanine can't hit Slowbro. However, whenever Arcanine switches in on a Heracross and gets hit by a Close Combat(does only about 40% due to Intimidate), you might predict that the opponent will switch into Slowbro. Then, you will switch into a counter like Raikou. This set requires prediction to work effectively.

All in all, the main goal of this set is to rip through teams without resistances to Arcanine's attacks and provide a great counter to Choice Scarf Heracross. It isn't really good against Choice Band Heracross, but you just have to pair it with something that can take a Close Combat and you'll be fine.

I've had some surprising success with this set lately.

Set Name: Arpeggio

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Wait, what? Speed Positive Scarf Mello? What is this? Well, it was supposed to be a gimmicky answer to scarf Heracross, but after running this set for a bit now, I've found it to be quite an effective revenge killer.

Firing off some impressive coverage from a respectable 128 base special attack, Meloetta might not be able to trump some of the premier special walls around without some CM boosts to back her up, but speed positive scarf allows her to outspeed and OHKO speed positive scarf-cross, adamant Moxiedile, Weavile (who would otherwise OHKO with crunch, or Pursuit trap her), Crobat, and +1 Sharpedo, among others. This extra bit of speed can catch anyone not expecting it off guard very easily, possibly ruining what would appear to be an otherwise unstoppable sweep.

What makes Mello shine in the scarf role however isn't just her excellent base power, but also the amount of special bulk she brings, even uninvested. Modest Specs Chandy Fire Blast will just fail to OHKO as long as you can keep hazards cleaned up on your side of the field, and other unboosted neutral hits can fall hilariously short of doing appreciable damage. This lets her switch into some things that other, more frail scarfers wouldn't even dream of switching into such as +1 LO Modest Raikou T-Bolts (71.93% - 84.5% damage, not that you would, but it's an option,) and do appreciable damage back. In addition, her normal typing allows her to serve as an excellent pivot into pokes that rely on Ghost type coverage moves, such as Mew, Azelf, and other Meloetta.

Togekiss is standing on those scrawny feet?!

Togekiss @ Choice Specs
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Tri Attack
- Trick / Grass Knot
- Fire Blast

This is also similar to the Choice Scarf set of Togekiss on Smogon except for a few changes I preferred. I like this set as you can pretty much Flinch-stall many slow pokemon such as Snorlax and Umbreon(yes, I have fainted Snorlax and Umbreon with this set.) This set is a monster especially if paired with entry hazards.

You can choose between Trick and Grass Knot. Trick allows you to lock walls and stuff like that into a move so that they are pretty much useless for the rest of the match. Grass Knot, on the other hand, is a coverage move that allows you to hit most Rock and Ground types(stealth rock leads) hard as they are usually really heavy(Regirock, Golem). You could also run Timid nature instead of Modest nature, but Timid nature pretty much only lets you outspeed Choice Specs Chandelure and you can't really switch freely into Choice Specs Chandelure. Even if you do, you can't really take a Fire Blast that well and not getting a flinch will really disappoint you. Togekiss also needs the extra power to take down walls.

Basically, this set is to take down walls(while getting free hits due to flinches). Grass Knot also provides you with extra coverage to check many stealth rock leads.

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 104 SAtk / 136 Spd
Naive Nature
- Transform
- Aura Sphere
- Psychic
- U-turn

Hey guys, lookie here, it's Choice Scarf Mew! Not just ANY sort of Choice Scarf Mew, though:

This one's the transforming type! While it's gimmicky (that's partly the point) it's also ruthlessly effective at luring and smashing apart its general counters, such as Jolly Heracross, Scarf Chandelure, and so on and so forth. First of all, the move picked depends entirely on the situation; this is a true utilitymon. If the opponent is setting up a booster, steal the boosts, outspeed and KO with whatever threatens them the most. Enemy Mew check? Destroy with suitable coverage moves. Low-health Pokemon in urgent need of revenge-killing? U-turn out to preserve momentum.

EV's are very specifically tuned. Max HP to survive heavy blows and actually have a significant advantage over the opponent's Pokemon, in stark contrast to Ditto who will mostly be lower HP than the opponent. Speed is fine-tuned to outspeed Jolly Scarf Heracross, one of the most common checks, by 1 point; it thus also outspeeds the entire unboosted tier and any scarfer below base 85. 144 Speed is another option to outspeed Base 86 scarfers, namely the Rotom formes. The rest is somewhat arbitrarily divided between SpA and Attack, and honestly don't have anything in mind for now, just focusing on maintaining decent firepower.

This set has a few advantages over Ditto; the primary three are its other moves, its base stat total and its large HP stat. The latter of these is what allows Mew to hold its own against the copied Pokemon in a prolonged battle; anything with a lower HP stat than it and no leftovers will surely fall to the mighty CSTransform Mew!

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Toxic

One look and you will be like, "What kind of Mienshao is this?!" Well, this is a SubToxic+2 attack Mienshao(obviously). To be honest, I am pretty proud of this moveset.

If you don't like to have a Ambipom-wannabe on your team, this is another moveset to separate it from an Ambipom. Mienshao doesn't really need U-Turn for coverage nor power, just for scouting. That is why, Hi Jump Kick and Stone Edge gives it just as much coverage as it had before, except that it will be less of a lead and utility pokemon. This Mienshao is more of a wallbreaker.

Hi Jump Kick and Stone Edge are for coverage that hits most threats pretty hard. Ghosts can take Hi Jump Kicks but Stone Edges put a huge dent in them(especially Chandelure). With Substitute, Mienshao can hide behind a little dinosaur whenever it predicts a switch. The Substitute and Toxic combination can wear down many pokemon, enough for other teammates to finish up or for Mienshao to finish up itself.

I'm just not sold on this one. First off, I'm not entirely sure you could consider Mienshao an "Ambipom Clone" as both do entirely different things (such as being a legitimate physical threat/offensive pivot and sucking really bad respectively.)

Secondly, I'm not really sure Mienshao is really cut out to stall anything. It doesn't have any appriciable bulk, nor a particularly good defensive typing. If the goal is to put some damage on a poke you wouldn't be able to otherwise deal significant damage to, the fakeout set does this cleaner, and is walled by fewer pokes with access to better coverage moves, and allows access to U-Turn to get out of hopeless situations into a check. If the goal is to cripple walls with toxic and then switch out to a more legitimate threat, why not baton pass the sub, or at least keep U-Turn around to do a little damage on the way out? Other than shock value, I can't really see what this set is supposed to accomplish?

I'm just not sold on this one. First off, I'm not entirely sure you could consider Mienshao an "Ambipom Clone" as both do entirely different things (such as being a legitimate physical threat/offensive pivot and sucking really bad respectively.)

Secondly, I'm not really sure Mienshao is really cut out to stall anything. It doesn't have any appriciable bulk, nor a particularly good defensive typing. If the goal is to put some damage on a poke you wouldn't be able to otherwise deal significant damage to, the fakeout set does this cleaner, and is walled by fewer pokes with access to better coverage moves, and allows access to U-Turn to get out of hopeless situations into a check. If the goal is to cripple walls with toxic and then switch out to a more legitimate threat, why not baton pass the sub, or at least keep U-Turn around to do a little damage on the way out? Other than shock value, I can't really see what this set is supposed to accomplish?
It also completely fails to get past Gligar, one of the most prominent switch-ins to mienshao outside of ghost-types.

I wasn't sure if I should post them or keep on using them for a while, but I figured what the hell, I'll just do it.
In my newest team, and arguably the most fun to use, which gave me a win/loss ratio of 7:3 in 60 battles, two Pokes stand out for the unusual or underrated sets – though not extremely creative.
These are:

Roserade @

- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Rock / Flying
Trait: Natural Cure
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe (for HP Rock)
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

Choice Scarf Roserade. The idea came when I was browsing through old RMTs and I found one that's arguably the best one of Heracross's short period on DPP UU before its ban, Boss Balance. I figured that, since Roserade is faster and more powerful, it should do a decent job, even if it was much less bulky. Having the fastest non-gimmicky Sleep Powder outside of weather is extremely useful, too, putting to sleep many threats 75% of the time. The EV spread is to get the jump on Timid Scarf Rotom-H, since I already lost the speed tie against opposing base 90 scarfers due to the Hidden Power used. Sludge Bomb is the main STAB move due to Leaf Storm's great drawback, but it can still be used to put the hurt on many things. Hidden Power Rock was a move of my choice to 2HKO Crobat and all Chandelure variants Roserade drew in, since it allowed Heracross to perform a cleaner sweep. Hidden Power Flying is another alternative to revenge kill Heracross, and you can always run HP Fire or HP Ice, if that's your thing. This Roserade set is specific to my team's needs, but you can use whatever move you feel like using.

The next Pokemon is a big threat from past metagames, which can still perform extremely well now. I present to you,

Heracross @

- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
Trait: Moxie
IVs: 30 HP
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

The mighty SubSalac Heracross from the ADV and DPP eras. Due to Moxie, it can afford to not run Swords Dance to boost its Attack stat and that way get amazing coverage thanks to Stone Edge (you can use Rock Slide if you don't like the shaky accuracy). This thing actually takes advantage of the fact that Scarf Hera is so common nowadays, forcing switches to set up a Substitute (kinda like a miniature RP Genesect in OU, though not half as broken). Then, it can keep using it until it gets the Salac Berry boost, getting the jump on a huge part of the unboosted metagame. If it couldn't manage to keep the Sub up, it performs as a weakened Scarf Heracross that can switch moves, so that's scary enough. If it did, then it doesn't have to fear priority messing with it and get a clean sweep. Admittedly, I didn't manage to sweep in as many opportunities as I should've, considering I used it in 60 matches, but the fifteen or so times I did, it was extremely nice. Substitute Heracross has the benefit of not fearing burns, and it can be extremely devastating after it gets that important first kill. The sweet thing is, it requires pretty much the same support as Scarf Hera: having Gligar and Cofag/DuscLOLps removed from the match, and having Crobat, Chandelure and Zapdos weakened. Heracross is extremely good, surviving LO Sharpedo's Waterfall and +1 SubCM Raikou's Thunderbolt 15 out of 16 times after SR, effectively being able to revenge kill those extremely powerful late-game threats (Raikou after a bit of prior damage), getting the Salac Berry boost and countersweep late-game if the opponent lacks a priority user or a Choice Scarfer – this works for ScarfHera too, of course, but being able to switch moves makes it a better cleaner.
30 IVs make Salac Berry activate after three Subs, and I chose a Jolly nature to outspeed Timid Togekiss before the boost, and tie with opposing Jolly Heras after it, so that I can actually revenge kill them if they're locked into any move but Aerial Ace.

If anyone's interested, I can provide logs showing the team in action. Admittedly, the team was made to provide Heracross with the chances to sweep, but it still doesn't make the sets any less effective...

Just wanted to say thatI would like to attest to subsalac heracross as a major threat. I've only played it about twice, and the only reason it did not steamroll me was due to megahorn missing. The mindgames that set can play...now there is something to fear.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
When it comes to gimmicks, I am queen. All my teams use some kind of gimmicks.

Victini @ Charcoal
Brave Nature (+Attk, -Spe)
0 IVs
252HP/252Attk/4Def
---
Trick Room
V-Create
Bolt Strike
U-Turn

Get rid of shits like Swampert, Slowbro, Rhyperior, Arcanine, etc from the opposing teams and its's game over after using Trick Room then V-Create. This set gives him both power and bulk. With 252HP, not much can OHKO it. With charcoal, Vcreate ohkos countless of things.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Im kinda sad nobody commented on my Bulk Up mew but other than that this has been a exelant thread so far cim.And Im loving these sets so far nice job guys!^_^.Also White queen add Life Orb as a slash and make u turn to grass knot since LO Bolt Strike Takes care of Arc. And Swampy and rhypy both get cleanly 2orOHKOd by 4 SpA grass knot I think.

Sceptile (F) @ White Herb
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
Ive have seen this set on the Battle factory Tier on PO and by the looks of it, it can prove to be deadly(Tried and Tested). All Sceptile has to do is Leaf Storm and it outspeeds the entire UU metagame(Even 110 Scarfed Pokemon)and the cool thing is that sceptile has one last chance to fire off a powerful Leaf Storm on par with Rotom-C as a last resort move is Sceptile is low on health(wont be as powerful without overgrow boost however). However the main problem this set has is fire types so water types like milotic are necessary to beat them.

That Victini sounds devastating... V-Create spamming will beat full teams if they lack priority.
Zap Cannon Eelektross is gimmicky but can work, anyway I think your opponent could've done something else. White Herb Sceptile, as opposed to the Eel, does sound like a big threat, I wonder why it isn't used much seeing that UU has many gimmicky things.

So I started playing with a Hail team just now, mainly because I didn't want to screw up with my SubSalac Hera team, but also for funsies. Since Snover is extremely weak and frankly the Protect+Leech Seed set isn't very appealing to me, I wanted to try out something different, so I went with the Focus Sash set.

Snover @

- Blizzard
- Grass Knot / Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Nature: Mild (+SpA, -Def)

Blizzard+Ice Shard hits many leads hard, and I'm guaranteed I'll survive a hit. Additionally, it's nice to screw with Crobat leads that expect the SubSeed set and opt for Taunt instead of Brave Bird / U-Turn, effectively giving me a free kill. Hidden Power Ground to do something to Fire-types, Hidden Power Fire is mainly for Bronzong and other Snover leads. Per White Queen's suggestion, I changed the Hidden Power place for Protect, to prevent Fake Out users from breaking the Sash.
While it may seem like a pushover without Eviolite, it's pretty fun watching little Snover getting me a kill more than half the matches I've played (though they haven't been much), and Ice Shard can pick off weakened things later if you decided not to sac it for some reason.
164 EVs give me the jump on Adamant/Impish Swampert, the rest goes into maximizing Special Attack first and then Attack

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Im kinda sad nobody commented on my Bulk Up mew but other than that this has been a exelant thread so far cim.And Im loving these sets so far nice job guys!^_^.Also White queen add Life Orb as a slash and make u turn to grass knot since LO Bolt Strike Takes care of Arc. And Swampy and rhypy both get cleanly 2orOHKOd by 4 SpA grass knot I think.
That set's main purpose is to abuse Trick Room + V-Create. U-Turn is an excellent momentum grabbing move. U-Turn to Shaymin or something when the opponent switches in Slowbro, etc. Bolt Strike is really just a filler move on that particular set, but a good one at that.

Life Orb is not needed, because like I said, that set is to abuse V-Create once the opponent's Victini's resist(s) is dead. Then Victini cleans house with a powerful, boosted, Charcoal'ed V-Create. Charcoal is only 10% less than Life Orb, so it's the item of choice. Without realizing what Victini is holding, you're also playing mind games with your opponents, so that in itself is worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)