Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think Adamant nature would be best with my Goodra. and Luckily I have an Adamant male Skrelp to breed Poison tail and adamant onto my Goomy. So, here is my final set.

Nature: Adamant
Item: Assault Vest
Poison Tail
Outrage
Aqua Tail
Power Whip

252 in attack and HP, rest in SpD.

With this set, she will hit hard and tank ANY Special attack. Not having a health recovery kinda hurts... but though I right now have Lapras planned on my team(want to use Freeze Dry Lapras)... I COULD switch out for Alomomola for huge wishes. Is it possible for her to get regenerator now though... or do I need to wait for Pokebank? I prefer Lapras though... but that idea is pretty nice...

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
That would be the 1 pokemon that can wall it. My team will have a Sheer force life orb Nidoqueen with Flamethrower to deal with it.
its not like its just going to stay in and die though. Most people knows that the nidos would carry a fire move.

If that one pokemon can wall everything else it has and is common enough in the metagame then I would think yes but its really up to you.
I think I should be fine. I have a few pokemon on this team I am planning that should be able to deal with Ferrathorn(Like NidoQueen, Meowstic, Gougeist, possibly even Mega Mawlie, if i run Fire Fang over Swords dance... though with swords dance Sucker Punch will hurt Ferrathorn a lot thanks to huge Power)

EDIT
I would personally change out that poison tail for sludge bomb/wave and put Ev's into special attack
Even with an Adamant nature? Sure, Poison tail is... weak to put it lightly, but wouldn;t the sap sipper boost and Adamant Nature, plus higher Crit chance, make up for it?

Go for the relaxed nature because the lost to def and goodra caring little about speed
Relaxed? a defense boosting nature? Wouldn't I want brave to Power up Outrage, Aqua Tail, and Power Whip?

EDIT: Where is the damage calc? The one I found doesn;t have Poison Tail listed...

Also, since most fairies have lower Physical Defense, I would think hitting with a Physical Poison Move would be better then a Special Poison Move.

Last edited:
Adamant Goodra is GOOD... ra. Infestation/Dragon Tail/EQ/Power Whip. Handles a lot of things. I run a team with 5 trappers and dare things to switch in against my gummy drake. Klefki, Ferrothorn or Scizor can switch in, if they want; they'll be dead in a couple of turns. Azumarill can switch in; it gets outsped and faces a KO. Togekiss can actually switch in, and I don't have a solution for that, yet. But I haven't needed one, I haven't seen many Togekiss at all.

If I wasn't running Infestation (which is a bad idea imo), I'd run Fire Blast for said Bug/Steels

Someone brought up a really interesting point in the forums. You can run Goodra with some combination of speed, tanky stats, and/or SPE. Use an assault vest, run a mixed or focused SPE attacks with good coverage.

And then set Goodra up with shell smash and baton pass. This could be just scary on a water team. The idea would be to setup with drizzle and possibly screen or try to soften the opponents, swap to Huntail/gorebyss and then shell smash and baton pass to Goodra.

At that point you are attacking with a shell smash Goodra... who potentially goes first? This could open the potential of running 252 SPA/252 SPE with Timid and sweeping the enemy team.

With this said there is an entire article with a number of different baton pass options listed: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-article-wip.3454903/

Reading through this, there are some interesting options which Goodra could be passed via baton.

That's a good point - with its great movepool, and good all-around stats, getting something passed to it would be -great-, and with the right investment, at 100/110 attack stats, it's honestly pretty scary, especially since even with no investment it's not going to be EASY to take down

EDIT: To keep discussion going, I want to ask a few questions for people to consider!

What is the most likely switch-in or counter to Goodra? What would -you- switch in to fight a goodra? Whatever is the most likely threat to it is what coverage moves should be for, although it probably doesn't have enough moves to destroy -everything- it wants to.

I'm not sure there's a 100% safe switch in, since very very little can take all of Goodra's hits with impunity and kill back, with Garchomp being one of the only ones that can. Sylveon could be tricky with screens and SE moves, but Goodra's got huge SpD, can hit physically if light screen goes up, and if it tags Sylveon on the switch with an SE poison move, Sylveon won't want to stay around, especially since since Goodra will go first unless it's investing in Spe for some reason. Maybe I should run up what pokemon -need- certain moves to be handily dealt with, so we can see ahead of time what's our biggest threat.

Last edited:
Adamant Goodra is GOOD... ra. Infestation/Dragon Tail/EQ/Power Whip. Handles a lot of things. I run a team with 5 trappers and dare things to switch in against my gummy drake. Klefki, Ferrothorn or Scizor can switch in, if they want; they'll be dead in a couple of turns. Azumarill can switch in; it gets outsped and faces a KO.
Uhm... why does no one ever see sap sipper azumarill coming? Whatever be a generic blue egg.

Btw, I know goodra gets counter via egg move. Will it see any use?

Im having luck with this set. (I lead with a weather starter, rain dance is just in case, and its pretty handy with prediction.)
Goodra @ Leftovers
Modest, 252 Hp, 252 Sp. Atk.
Ability: Hydration
Dragon Pulse/ Draco Meteor/
Rest
Rain Dance
Sludge Wave/ Sludge Bomb
Its not quite a stall goodra, but it delivers quite a punch, and can keep rain momentum going on my rain team.
I've been trying out something like this and I like it quite a lot, but I have a stallier EV setup:

Goodra @ Damp Rock/Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 204 SDef / 236 HP / 68 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Rest

It'd obviously get walled pretty hard by Ferrothorn, but I think it could be a valuable contribution to a Rain team.

Uhm... why does no one ever see sap sipper azumarill coming? Whatever be a generic blue egg.

Btw, I know goodra gets counter via egg move. Will it see any use?
While it sounds good... I don't think most people will pass up of Huge Power.

Hmmm, it may see some use I suppose. On a rest/hydration set you can keep countering all day long.

Someone brought up a really interesting point in the forums. You can run Goodra with some combination of speed, tanky stats, and/or SPE. Use an assault vest, run a mixed or focused SPE attacks with good coverage.

And then set Goodra up with shell smash and baton pass. This could be just scary on a water team. The idea would be to setup with drizzle and possibly screen or try to soften the opponents, swap to Huntail/gorebyss and then shell smash and baton pass to Goodra.

At that point you are attacking with a shell smash Goodra... who potentially goes first? This could open the potential of running 252 SPA/252 SPE with Timid and sweeping the enemy team.

With this said there is an entire article with a number of different baton pass options listed: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-article-wip.3454903/

Reading through this, there are some interesting options which Goodra could be passed via baton.
That is a interesting idea. I myself rarely used Baton passing sets since I normally get screwed when I use it, but it could work quite well.

If you're not using Huge Power Azumarill, why are you even using Azumarill in the first place? What can Sap Sipper Azumarill possibly accomplish, even with the boost, that other offensive Water-types like Gyarados, Kingdra, and Rotom-W can't?

Last edited:
May I recommend never to use op pokemon on pokemon showdown. This is the second time that I've swept through team after team only to bring rise to my team's counters. The more we use goodra, the less powerful it gets. On that note, I'd like to say garchomp is the best counter I've seen yet (and by that I mean the worst). He destroys goodra, and then you're forced to ohko it with outrage (which has a 50/50 chance of hitting it in doubles)

Ehhh I usually play on PO rather than Showdown but I don't think there's much difference as far as 6th gen goes. Anyway, here's a Goodra set I like to use:

Goodra @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Rest

As people have said Goodra faces a lot of competition from Latias and defensive Kyurem-B, so you want to capitalize on what Goodra offers over them. This set is a good check to Rotom-W like all Goodra sets, however this one doesn't mind W-o-W as much. You can wear Rotom-W down with Dragon Pulses and eventually regain all your health with ChestoRest. Now it's pretty obvious why you'd want to use this over Latias. Focus Blast does solid damage against Tyranitar, and in combination with Dragon Pulse will take out all non-specially defensive variants. Scizor and Ferrothorn both get roasted by Fire Blast, and standard Ferro is actually OHKO'd 87.5% of the time. Being able to switch in on Rotom-W and destroying Scizor is very helpful against VoltTurn teams. Speed and powerwise it's not off the charts, but tieing with Mamoswine and outspeeding Breloom (which you can absorb Spores from) is good enough for what this set does. Gooey and Hydration are good alternative abilities, especially if you struggle with Rain teams it's worth using Hydration since you have Rest.

Dragon/Fire/Fighting is flawless coverage as far as I know, and makes for a very potent pokemon that's definitely worth a team slot.

Can Goodra outspeed Mega Garchomp? I'm thinking if Goodra has a beneficial speed nature, whereas most Garchomps are invested in attack completely.

I wasn't expecting to switch in with it. I was interested if you could give Goodra a speed nature, and lure a switch in, then hopefully ice beam it or something.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can Goodra outspeed Mega Garchomp? I'm thinking if Goodra has a beneficial speed nature, whereas most Garchomps are invested in attack completely.
Actually, Mega Garchomp's most beneficial nature is Jolly because it needs to be able to outspeed prominent threats like Adamant Lucario, Jolly Gyarados, and nuetral base 100s like Volcarona and Salamence. Mega Garchomp is already so powerful that it doesn't really need to max out its Attack entirely, and it has access to Swords Dance anyway to boost it. Goodra on the other hand, really appreciates having as much power as possible, as a base 110 SpA tanky Pokemon will really appreciate the extra power from a Modest nature and investing a few EVs in bulk. Besides, Mega Garchomp isn't nearly as common at the moment to run a +Spe nature on Goodra JUST to lure it, and the fact that most Mega Chomps tend to gravitate towards a +Spe nature, I really see no point in sacrificing Goodra's much needed power just to pick off the occasional Adamant Mega Garchomp. You're better off running a spread of 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe Modest nature to outspeed neutral base 70s like Breloom and Politoed, while also outpacing Adamant Swords Dance Scizor. Max Speed is okay to tie with Adamant Mamo and other Goodra I guess, but it's a very bad idea to risk the tie anyway.

Last edited:
Actually, Mega Garchomp's most beneficial nature is Jolly because it needs to be able to outspeed prominent threats like Adamant Lucario, Jolly Gyarados, and nuetral base 100s like Volcarona and Salamence. Mega Garchomp is already so powerful that it doesn't really need to max out its Attack entirely, and it has access to Swords Dance anyway to boost it. Goodra on the other hand, really appreciates having as much power as possible, as a base 110 SpA tanky Pokemon will really appreciate the extra power from a Modest nature and investing a few EVs in bulk. Besides, Mega Garchomp isn't nearly as common at the moment to run a +Spe nature on Goodra JUST to lure it, and the fact that most Mega Chomps tend to gravitate towards a +Spe nature, I really see no point in sacrificing Goodra's much needed power just to pick off the occasional Adamant Mega Garchomp.
I actually see a lot of them in wifi play. idk about Pokémon Showdown, but those suckers are everywhere in wifi.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
252 HP /100 SpA/ 152 Def
Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
Earthquake
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower

Okay so I've been running the pokemon calculator ragged for this set. The HP and Def is to maximize your ability to take a punch on the physical side. The SpA guarantees OHKOs on scizor and Forretress, and a 98% chance at a 2HKO on Ferrothorn. Meteor or Pulse is whether you want to keep it in, or to go all-in on an attack against something you don't have coverage for. Ice Beam helps you against flying things, other dragons (Although you won't OHKO Garchomp unless you max your SpA and catch him on the switch), while Thunderbolt will let you hurt bulky water types that might otherwise cause you a lot of trouble. They're still painful to deal with - Vaporeon is going to be a close fight no matter what you do, although something like tentacruel or jellicent isn't going to beat you up too much anyway. Coverage is mostly for whatever you need, unless you want to take out a STAB attack to get even better coverage. Power Whip and Focus Blast aren't particularly useful unless you're afraid of a Swampert or Quagsire, which it will deal with quite well in that case.

The things that hurt it the most are obviously on the physical side, but I'm not sure what ability to run. Gooey might be fun, because you might tag two hits in a row on something just marginally faster, but sap sipper could be good if you're expecting a grass attack, because boosting your earthquake another point will give you a chance to OHKO Terrakion with rocks, and perhaps you might want to toss in another physical move, like Aqua Tail or Rock Slide if it'll help you cover things. Hydration isn't really useful, unless you're planning on using Goodra to soak an expected status move and you already have rain.

Also: This is my first ever pokemon moveset! If I made any huge mistakes, let me know!

Quick Edit: Dragon Tail might be useful - if you switch it in right, it'll take almost no damage from the attack, and then you can use dragon tail to see what they tried to switch in before it gets bounced right out. Then they have to choose whether to try again, or try and swing at you with whatever you dragged out.

Honestly, it's a pity that Blissey exists, because it seems sometimes that there just aren't enough specially-oriented pokemon for you to menace.
This set is very similar to what I am running and it is very, very good. Eats up special attacks and deals good damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)