Google Wave

I heard about this before.

It's supposed to have email, IM, forums, and wikis on it; sounds pretty interesting to me. They claim it's going to be the best way to communicate on the internet, but I guess we won't really know until it comes out in a few months..

It seems really cool, but honestly I don't expect this to really "revolutionize" communication any more than gmail "revolutionized" email - All the hard core fans will be all over it, while your average person will be ignorant or indifferent.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i watched that entire video, looks to be fantastic. I'm excited,who needs email!

with it being open source, the potential is endless...especially the playback feature.

I'm already having visions of playback of a pokemon battle so people dont have to read logs they can just watch the battle on playback, much like that chess game

Tl; dw.

Anyways, is it like putting tevo on your computer in a way? You can play back what has been done in the last X amount of time? Like an auto record/rerecord system?

Neat. This scares me in much the same way facebook scared me. I'm such an old man.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I heard about it last week but didn't realize there was a full out video. All I had was a screen and I didn't understand it. My boss sent me the video and I need to check it out once I have time.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Essentially, a Wave is a collaborative entity that is hosted online with a set of participants who interact with it. It's very general and can be used in an e-mailish way, a document editing way, an instant messaging way, etc. There are all kinds of extension possibilities as well, and surely there will be tons of applications for this that no one has thought of yet.

The demo is long but impressive. Some of the things I liked:
- Messages can be transmitted character by character as they are typed, so instant messaging is more interactive
- Robots (software controlled wave participants) can be built to perform any of the tasks that humans can do. They can edit the wave contents for things like spell checking and language translation.
- All of the changes made to the wave are stored with a history, so you can playback this sequence of changes as a video to see how a wave evolved.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
- Messages can be transmitted character by character as they are typed, so instant messaging is more interactive
Fuck that noise, do you know how many times I've been talking with a girl and typed something that I then immediately backspaced? No thanks.

From Google's standpoint, they would want to obviously throw out the current email. Highly unlikely, but for them, that's the best-case scenario.

They just have to make it extremely compatible with email, so people slowly start using it. Eventually, if enough people do, Yahoo and the like will have to try to compete.

Fuck that noise, do you know how many times I've been talking with a girl and typed something that I then immediately backspaced? No thanks.
Yeah, it basically undermines the whole reason you're using this medium to connect. You might as well just talk to the person haha

They're reasoning behind it is that you waste so much time waitingfor a response, think how you will respond to it, and then typing it, now you can just think of it while they type.

I'm not saying it's better, but I do see their logic. Then again, I'm a google fanboy.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, it basically undermines the whole reason you're using this medium to connect. You might as well just talk to the person haha
Er, I really don't think you understand the medium if you think that. I'd never use that feature as it goes against how I type, but yeah. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to internet communication and real time typing is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I know, but I'm just saying that one of the main points of talking to girls on AIM is so that you can have more control over how you present yourself, and you only have to show what you want to show. Not saying this would ruin it entirely, it would just take away some of its charm.

Interesting, but then again, Google usually claims that everything they come out with is new and revolutionary (like Gmail and Chrome)

I'm really liking the collaborative document feature. I can just see a bunch of my friends in the same classes make a real-time lecture note page and then save it to a folder for examcram time.

Well, I do find it annoying when on MSN you see the little message noting that someone is typing something, then they all of a sudden stop and start again. I'm always curious as to what they initially typed. Plus, it's not like I delete my speech as I talk, so I think I can live with it. If anything, it does make communication more interactive.

Or when people are typing something, and they get up and go take a shit or something in the middle of their sentence, so it just says "xxx is typing their message" for twenty minutes. Hate that shit.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
I've always enjoyed Google's ambitious desire to single-handedly revolutionize the Internet in its own little fashion. Web engineering sure has outdone itself this time with the help of one of the largest, most creative pool of programming heads existing today. I mean, a "contextual spell checker" in all honesty......is something i'd expect my grandkids to unravel in their time of hacking a couple decades down the road -- not Google 2009. Then again, it is always great to have a reputable figurehead for upcoming and aspiring developers to ensue and further extend the intuition that is the Internet today. so, yeah, catch the wave...and heh, yeah, google wave woohoo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)