Pokémon Granbull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmm Nothing personal but i'm just seeing that set like an invitation for Aegislash and Talonflame to come and setup fairly easy... Hell, even Chariblast can come in, mega evolve and burn Granbull to ashes... XD
Yeah, it was looking more at the lower tiers; you didn't see Lanturn running sets like that in OU for the same reason; scald would be walled by jellicent and pretty much all the water types in the tier to some degree (although the burn chance helped). Still, it might have some viability in the lower tiers, since Granbull's STAB Play Rough off of 120 base attack should be fairly threatening for even frailer resists, even without investment. It does have the nice advantage of having nothing immune to it, which few types can claim anymore.

Yup, i actually take your point, but i guess that if you go that way with Granbull, maybe a setup move like bulk up (i don't remember if Granbull learns that or Curse) to make you more resilient to damage or more damaging to the enemy could be more appealing in such a set, more or less like Suicune...

85/95 is pretty decent physical defense, if you're referring to Togekiss. I don't know what Granbull's defense stat would equal if one was to factor in Intimidate, though.
Factoring in intimidate he has 90/122 defenses I believe.

Considering his impressive physical defense, dragon immunity and ability to therefore force switches (as well as having some good resistances to primarily physical attacks- fighting, bug, dark) I can see a substitute set working.

Something like this:

Granbull @ Leftovers/Expert Belt | Intimidate
Impish | 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Substitute
-Focus Punch / Close Combat
-Earthquake
-Play Rough

I think the best option is probably leftovers, but having access to expert belt is also pretty potent considering its great super effective coverage and high bp attacks.
Pair this Granbull with Gyarados and you have a double intimidate core, not to mention that Granbull resists bug and fighting type moves that M-Gyarados won't appreciate. I might explore this core in more detail.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Factoring in intimidate he has 90/122 defenses I believe.

Considering his impressive physical defense, dragon immunity and ability to therefore force switches (as well as having some good resistances to primarily physical attacks- fighting, bug, dark) I can see a substitute set working.

Something like this:

Granbull @ Leftovers/Expert Belt | Intimidate
Impish | 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Substitute
-Focus Punch / Close Combat
-Earthquake
-Play Rough

I think the best option is probably leftovers, but having access to expert belt is also pretty potent considering its great super effective coverage and high bp attacks.
Pair this Granbull with Gyarados and you have a double intimidate core, not to mention that Granbull resists bug and fighting type moves that M-Gyarados won't appreciate. I might explore this core in more detail.
I like that set idea and it'll probably take a bit of testing and messing around with, though you WILL need a partner to cover Bisharp. Just a general rule of thumb when using Granbull as your ideal physical tank in general due to Defiant

I like that set idea and it'll probably take a bit of testing and messing around with, though you WILL need a partner to cover Bisharp. Just a general rule of thumb when using Granbull as your ideal physical tank in general due to Defiant
Yea I've actually been using (wait for it) choice scarf mold breaker pangoro with this and that helps to cover it. Having a fast hammer arm hitting for 4x is great, as well as parting shot going through defiant due to mold breaker, and on other pokemon that leads to -2 attack from the switch, whether you switch to gyarados or granbull.

I essentially need to look into a good Granbull set for my somewhat-gimmicky all Intimidate team, and Granbull is the only one that resists Dragon. Its speed is unfortunate, but access to Heal Bell is a huge boon actually and would be a very good fit indeed with Mega Manectric/Landorus-T/Hitmontop/Staraptor/Gyarados. It has a surprisingly diverse physical attack movepool with tons of high BP moves AND support movepool, to the point where it has 4MSS horribly bad. The only mandatory move seems to be Play Rough. Thunderwave/Toxic and Roar can be pretty useful with Leftovers, and... well, a million and one other things.

I essentially need to look into a good Granbull set for my somewhat-gimmicky all Intimidate team, and Granbull is the only one that resists Dragon. Its speed is unfortunate, but access to Heal Bell is a huge boon actually and would be a very good fit indeed with Mega Manectric/Landorus-T/Hitmontop/Staraptor/Gyarados. It has a surprisingly diverse physical attack movepool with tons of high BP moves AND support movepool, to the point where it has 4MSS horribly bad. The only mandatory move seems to be Play Rough. Thunderwave/Toxic and Roar can be pretty useful with Leftovers, and... well, a million and one other things.
Earthquake is somewhat mandatory too, since it gives you amazing coverage in two moves with eq hitting poisons and steels for super effective. That gives you two other moveslots free for whatever, which is usually enough

Earthquake is somewhat mandatory too, since it gives you amazing coverage in two moves with eq hitting poisons and steels for super effective. That gives you two other moveslots free for whatever, which is usually enough
Fire Punch would be a better option actually for Scizor, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Genesect and the most common Poison types I can think of are Scolipede, Roserade and Venusaur. All of those are neutral to Ground and weak to Fire. I know Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat but at the least it can't switch into a Fire Punch if it hasn't Megavolved yet. expecting to tank a Play Rough or something. I need a Fire attack somewhere other than Manectric's Flamethrower, and Landorus and Gyarados have Earthquake already. EQ is only really more useful against Heatran and Aegeslash, and I'd simply rather not fight either.

Honestly Play Rough isn't horrible for a solo attack, and Fairy/Dark gets great neutral coverage with only really Klefki and Bisharp resisting both, and with his speed Assurance becomes a decent second move. I'm trying to see what three support moves go well with just Play Rough. Heal Bell is useful, as is Substitute, but not optimal with its poor speed. Thunder Wave or Toxic is likely a really good idea considering how good defensively Fairy is.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fire Punch would be a better option actually for Scizor, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Genesect and the most common Poison types I can think of are Scolipede, Roserade and Venusaur. All of those are neutral to Ground and weak to Fire. I know Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat but at the least it can't switch into a Fire Punch if it hasn't Megavolved yet. expecting to tank a Play Rough or something. I need a Fire attack somewhere other than Manectric's Flamethrower, and Landorus and Gyarados have Earthquake already. EQ is only really more useful against Heatran and Aegeslash, and I'd simply rather not fight either.

Honestly Play Rough isn't horrible for a solo attack, and Fairy/Dark gets great neutral coverage with only really Klefki and Bisharp resisting both, and with his speed Assurance becomes a decent second move. I'm trying to see what three support moves go well with just Play Rough. Heal Bell is useful, as is Substitute, but not optimal with its poor speed. Thunder Wave or Toxic is likely a really good idea considering how good defensively Fairy is.
Bisharp's actually neutral to Fairy, due to being part Dark-type. Minor nitpick haha...Though it is noteworthy to consider Earthquake's higher general BP compared to Fire Punch, even against neutral targets. But far as it goes, Play Rough + Thunder Wave + Toxic + Heal Bell sounds like the best set if you want just a mono-fairy attacker

I'm trying Thunder Wave and Taunt at the moment with Heal Bell. Thunder Wave is very surprising, and if its something that generally tries to status or set up, Taunt just ruins them further and the speed advantage helps immensely. Helped me win a game recently.

From a thread about typing coverage here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/attack-pair-analysis.3490312/page-3
Question: What's the maximum number of types you could hit SE with four moves?

150 with Fairy / Rock / Ground / Ice.
157 with Fairy / Rock / Ground / Freeze Dry.
Granbull @ Expert Belt | Intimidate
Brave | 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Play Rough
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

Barring water, and with TR support..he hits everything! (Provided Stonemiss)

Why not a bulk up set? Sure some things pull it off better than granbull but pure fairy typing and decent bulk may give granbull quite a few opportunities to set up.

Something like
Granbull @leftovers/air balloon
Trait: intimidate 252 hp/ 252 def / 4 atk
Adamant nature
-play rough
-heal bell / fire punch
-bulk up
-earthquake/ice fang/ t wave

I think physical wall is the way to go but with granbulls impressive attack stat, getting a bulk up off can really allow him to do some good damage. Hadn't really tested this out much but I think it could have potential!

Also I like the idea of assault vest granbull but have no clue what exactly it can tank with an assault vest.

Granbull has a very respectable niche as a Conkeldurr counter. I've been running bulk up on mine.
I really like Granbull, but countering Conkeldurr isn't a niche for the Fairy Dog. Other Fairies that can specifically outclass Conk such as Clefable and Mawile are more useful in the OU tier.

Why not a bulk up set? Sure some things pull it off better than granbull but pure fairy typing and decent bulk may give granbull quite a few opportunities to set up.

Something like
Granbull @leftovers/air balloon
Trait: intimidate 252 hp/ 252 def / 4 atk
Adamant nature
-play rough
-heal bell / fire punch
-bulk up
-earthquake/ice fang/ t wave

I think physical wall is the way to go but with granbulls impressive attack stat, getting a bulk up off can really allow him to do some good damage. Hadn't really tested this out much but I think it could have potential!

Also I like the idea of assault vest granbull but have no clue what exactly it can tank with an assault vest.
Why on earth would you run air balloon Granbull, it is not even a joke like air balloon Rotom fan.

has any one tried the doubles set for this it uses granbull's hidden ability and beat up to give it a huge speed boast

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What do you guys think Granbull's best set in OU is? I've seen people use RestTalk + Play Rough mostly, and Roar, Heal Bell, Bulk Up, EQ, Fire Punch, Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Close Combat all make sense in the last slot. I personally think I like Heal Bell the most, but I'm unsure if it's definitely the best option.

What do you guys think Granbull's best set in OU is? I've seen people use RestTalk + Play Rough mostly, and Roar, Heal Bell, Bulk Up, EQ, Fire Punch, Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Close Combat all make sense in the last slot. I personally think I like Heal Bell the most, but I'm unsure if it's definitely the best option.
I've tried a sub + bulk up set with play rough and close combat. It's decent enough I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)