GSC In-Game Tier List Mark V

I tried Raikou and Entei against Morty and unsurprisingly they won really easily. Everything was obviously outsped, Gastly and Haunter were OHKOed (Haunter 2 was a range for Entei but it doesn't matter) and Gengar was a 2HKO so just a Berry to cure Sleep was needed for the sweep at level 40 with Ember and Thundershock.

Chuck was no trouble for Entei as it OHKOed Primeape and 2HKOed Poliwrath with Pink Bow Strength. Jasmine was obviously easy for Entei, OHKOing Magnemite and 2HKOing Steelix without any problem while taking really well Rock Throw. Pryce was an easy win too, Seel is OHKOed and Dewgong 2HKOed by PB Strength and Piloswine is 2HKOed by Ember. Clair wasn't good for Entei though as it only 3HKOes Kingdra which 2HKOes back and Dragonair are only 2HKOed by Strength/Headbutt. At least, it can beat 2 dragonair.

Regarding the rank, I still believe Entei and Raikou should be C-rank. They are hard to find but it's feasible with RNG Manip I guess and need ThunderDance and SunnyBeam+ FireBlast. However, they make up for it by being extremly strong, sweeping with ease most gym, Will and Koga. Not much to add really, they are always great except for Lance.

=============================================================================================

aegon the unlikely : good luck with your run, that should be quick, using this time and while Totodile, Spearow and Kadabra seem well-settled, providing further testings about Flareon, a mon Ryota was unsure about its rank, will be great.

I agree with Growlithe and I'll explain it later in this post. But don't you get it in route 35 ? Bulbapedia tells it's only possible to get it there (and later in route 36 and 37). I also found Morty way more consistent that Whitney (still a win most of the time tho).

Regarding Typhlosion, I didn't feel the need to use Sunny Day against Will as it's only needed for Xatu 2 anyway. Setting up isn't that easy by the way, you want to avoid Xatu because of Confuse Ray, Slowbro due to Amnesia, Jynx potentially putting asleep and Exeggutor doing a lot with Psychic. Xatu 2 didn't 2HKO so barring massive hax, it wasn't a problem anyway. I wasn't clear about SolarBeam sorry, I meant that when doing the Elite 4, I was thinking about maybe using it but didn't even bother to try (which would have done nothing as it can't learn it as you said lol).

Yeah, Fire Blast 2HKOes Muk but even considering that, Koga should be an easy win.

I didn't bother to try Sunny Day + Fire Blast on Umbreon because Fire Blast is already unaccurate as it is and if you add Sand Attack (and Confuse Ray), Typhlosion will rarely land 2 hits.

=============================================================================================

Ryota Mitarai : Really interesting post and you were courageous to use all these bad things. I had the same experience overall (I had more level for Whitney which might explain the 4/5HKO and I didn't use Dig). D-rank seems good thanks to Jasmine and Koga and as Growlithe seems pretty smilar to it, so that should be the same rank.

Not surprised about Shellder, Poliwag and Bellsprout but a bit more about Staryu and Exeggcute. In my Exeggcute run, I was level 21 and beating Miltank wasn't that hard tho training Exe up to level 21 was a real nightmare and I was expecting a better Chuck. Still looking forward to use everything but I think I'll have the same rank as yours.

And I need to use more things in C and D, but I might revisit my Exeggutor and Butterfree tier.

Regarding your reference list (great puns by the way haha), thanks for making it because it will make tiering easier. I agree with most automatic E-tier, with the exception of Doduo and possibly Skarmory (I'm still really doubtful about it). The rest is just plain bad and Umbreon is hard to get for no utilities outside of possibly winning against Will. I wouldn't mind Ledyba being E-tier because it was bad but at least it had some utilities. It sometimes won 1v1 against Scyther from Bugsy, Silver's battles were mostly good (and this is good if you have Cyndaquil as a starter), could take Gastly+Gengar + Haunter 2 against Morty, could defeat Chuck's Poliwrath 1v1 and could beat 1/2 mons against the Elite 4. Training it wasn't easy but having boltbeam is alright (especially on route 40) and while it took time it could train by itself (unlike Hoopip I juste used lol) not to mention it's in the fast group. I wouldn't necessarly disagree with E-tier though as it's still Ledyba. As I said, more tests on it would be great. I'm more sure about Spinarak being D-tier tho, as it was more usable. It won easily against Bugsy, did alright against Morty and Chuck, could at least beat Magnemite against Jasmine (and dent Steelix if using Night Shade). Bruno is what makes me certain it deserves D-tier, because it can beat the 3 hitmon (pretty cool because Onix is incredibly easy to take down and that frees up for something that can only 1v1 Machamp). Karen was also mostly alright as it can take down Vileplume+Murkrow+Gengar if lucky enough. I feel Beedrill should be pretty similar and might be worth D-tier (I mneed to test it to be sure, especially when it doesn't learn Dig, which made Spinarak/Ariados way better but being faster could help). Swinub, Teddiursa (shame considering how good it is Crystal) and Phanpy are probably D-tier, they just come too late and at a low level for Ursaring.

==============================================================================================

Now, onto the ranks I'm going to add a small text about availability and how the training was because it's way easier to understand the overall performance with that.

Falkner (11) : Pidgey is 3HKOed and PIdgeotto is 4HKOed by Quick Attack. By using Defense Curl twice, Sentret can take down both while living at 2 HP. Nice win

Bugsy (17/18) : It's incredibly easy to set up 6 Defense Curl on Metapod (String Shot doesn't matter when you use Quick Attack anyway), then Furret 3/4/5 HKO (according to how much it used Harden), 3HKO Kakuna and was a range for the 4HKO on Scyther, that can't do much back due to boosts. Tried this different times and even with Kakuna poisonning it was still a win. Excellent matchup

Rival (18) : Mud Slap 2HKOes Gastly that can't damage back. Zubat is 2HKOed by Quick Attack and Bayleef is 4HKOed while it can't 4HKO back. Barring Razor Leaf critting twice, it should be a solid win

Whitney (22) : Taught Furret Rollout for this battle. By setting up 2 Defense Curl, Furret is bulky enough to take on Whitney. Rollout will 2HKO Clefairy and Miltank (that sometimes go for Milk Drink after the first hit lol). Even if Miltank flinches, 3 Rollout is going to ko Miltank while 3 Rollout from it won't ko. It's still not a 100% win but having tried it several times, Furret has great odds to win (barring like Metronome picking really strong moves or Miltank flinching twice).

Rival (22) : Outspeed and OHKO Haunter with Dig as it uses Curse. Then OHKO Magnemite with Dig and Zubat with Strength. Bayleef is a range for the 2HKO with Strength (didn't have Pink Bow but I guess it would have secured the 2HKO). If Bayleef gets 2HKOed that's a solid win. And if it somehow survives, it's extremly close to a win. Great match nevertheless.

Morty (25) : I tried 2 things, using Rollout and Dig, with the former having better odds. Furret is only outsped by Gengar, which is defeated if using Mint Berry. Furret can use Defense Curl and then OHKO everything with Curse. Missing is annoying but only missing on Gengar is going to matter as Haunter is 2HKOed. It has a 72,9% chance to win as you need 2 Rollout before Gengar. Alternatively, it's possible to use Dig but odds are worse (64% chance with a Mint Berry but Gengar doesn't always use Hypnosis and sometimes goes for Mean Look). Furret is really solid here.

Chuck (30) : Return barely misses the OHKO on Primeape and only 3HKO Poliwrath. Both are outsped and the AI is kinda weird so it's winnable but still defavorable.

Jasmine (31) : Dig OHKOes Magnemite. Steelix is 3HKOed by Surf and 2HKOes with Iron Tail so barring a miss, it's a loss.

Pryce (32) : Return OHKOes Seel, 2HKO Dewgong and is a range to 2HKO Piloswine. Furret can't take Aurora Beam from Dewgong and 2 Blizzard from Piloswine. It can take down 2 mons at least and Piloswine is reliant on AI (it often goes for Mist first for some reasons) and Blizzard misses. Quite good matchup.

Rival (35) : Golbat is 2HKOed by Return, Magnemite is OHKOed by Dig and Haunter gets koed ith Dig+Curse. Sneasel is a 2HKO and Meganium is a range for the 2HKO (but often goes for Reflect, so it's like 75% of the time a 3HKO). Curse ruins the sweep but at least Furret can take down 4 mons.

Clair (38) : Furret can either take down one Dragonair (it's easy to get overwhelmed between only 2HKOing and Dragonair attacking) or hope to 1v1 Kingdra. Kingdra was 3HKOed and its Surf was a range for the 2HKO on Furret. Pretty bad as it's unreliable but Furret at least does something.

Rival (40) : Outspeed and 2HKO Sneasel with Return. OHKO Magneton and Haunter with Dig. Outspeed and OHKO Kadabra and 2HKO Meganium. Solid sweep.

Will (40) : Xatus and Exeggutor are 2HKOed by Return, Slowbro is 3HKOed and Jynx is outsped and OHKOed. Seeing that Furret can take 2 Psychic from Xatus, it can claim 3 kills (Psychic from Xatu 1 + Psychic from Exeggutor + Quick Attack from Xatu 2 is a 3HKO). Slowbro is going to be tricky with Curse and Body Slam so it's better to hope taking down Xatu 1 + Jynx + Xatu2/Exeggutor.

Koga (41) : Ariados and Venomoth are outsped and 2HKOed with Return. Fire Punch is an OHKO on Foretress. Crobat is 3HKOed and Muk is 3HKOed. It's Koga and hax is going to be involved but it removes the 3 bugs and can hope to beat either Muk or Crobat.

Bruno (41) : Furret beats Hitmontop without taking damage by using Return, then Dig on his Dig to avoid damages (it's going to use Detect) and then another Return. Afterwards, it can beat another Hitmon because Hitmonchan doesn't 2HKO with Mach Punch and Hitmonlee doesn't OHKO and both are outsped and 2HKOed. Onix is also OHKOed by Surf. Pretty good as it beats 3 mons despite the type disadvantage.

Karen (41) : Equip Soft Sand because Pink Bow wasn't needed. Return 3HKOes Umbreon and 2HKOes Vileplume and Murkrow. Houndoom outspeeds and 2HKO with Flamethrower. Gengar is OHKOed by Dig if it uses Curse. Furret can hope to take 3 mons here.

Lance (41) : Can beat 1v1 Gyara as it goes for Rain Dance and then 2HKOes while Furret outspeeds and 3HKOes with Return. Charizard outspeeds and 2HKOes with Flamethrower. It can't really defeat Dragonite reliably unless they use Hyper Beam because it only 3HKOes and gets 2HKOed by the special move (not to mention paralysis).

Great matchup : Falkner, Bugsy, Rivals (all of them really), Whitney (really high chance to win)

Good matchup : Morty (great odds to win still), Pryce (AI reliant but winnable), Koga

Okay matchup : Chuck, Jasmine, Will, Bruno, Karen

Bad matchup : Clair, Lance

Catching Sentret is easy and it levels up really quickly. Something annoying tho is how slow Sentret it as even Caterpie from trainers outsped lol and it made fleeing from wild encounters often impossible. Sentret is still strong enough and it evolves really early so that's alright. Sentret wasn't hard to train (second easiest after Vaporeon) thanks to decent power, bulk and speed even if sometimes I wish it was a bit more powerful. It also required a few contested TMs (Return and Dig) and can be an useful HM Slave still useful in battle with Strength + Surf I guess.

Falkner (11) : Only beats Pidgey as Pidgeotto 2HKOes with Gust.

Bugsy (17) : Defeats Cocoons (be wary of poison tho). Scyther is only 10HKOed by Tackle and does way too much damages.

Rival (17) : Gastly is immune to Tackle. Zubat is 5HKOed by Tackle. It's possible to outstall Bayleef by using Poison Powder.

Whitney (20) : Tried this multiple times and it's winnable. With Synthesis, Leech Seed and Sleep Powder, it's highly probable to be nearly full health for the Miltank. From there, it doesn't 2HKO with Rollout and you can put it asleep and heal with Synthesis. Obviously, it will depend a lot on sleep luck and hitting Sleep Powder, but it's going to be a win most of the time, which is good considering how hard Whitney is.

Rival (22) : Wins against Zubat and Haunter as Leech Life and Lick are outhealed by Leech Seed. Avoid Magnemite (Sonic Boom does a lot) and Bayleef.

Morty (25) : It's possible to win against Gastly and Haunter 1 as they are outsped. Gengar is obviously going to win and Haunter 2 outspeeds and does a lot with Night Shade.

Chuck (30) : Probably the best matchup. Jumpluff outspeeds both, Leech Seed outstalls Karate Chop from Primeape and Poliwrath isn't going to do much damages so both should be outstalled quite easily.

Jasmine (31) : Avoid Magnemite as they are going to para. Steelix 2HKOes with Iron Tail, even after Leech Seed and often uses Sceech for the OHKO.

Pryce (32) : lol

Rival (33) : Can beat Golbat as Wing Attack doesn't 2HKO. Haunter is going to Curse and Magnemite to use Thunder Wave. Faint Attack does nothing so Sneasel is beatable too.

Clair (38) : Dragonair are hard stops with Thunder Wave. Jumpluff actually beats Kingdra 1v1 as it can only 2HKO with Hyper Beam.

Rival (40) : Sneasel is beatable, Kadabra always uses Future Sight so it's possible to outstall it and that's it.

Will (40) : Psychic 2HKOes and with Confuse Ray from Xatu, it's going to be hard to confortably win. Beating Slowbro is possible thanks to the AI but it's going to be hard to take down more than one thing.

Koga (40) : Can beat Ariados and Venomoth (Gust does very little damages) and that's it. Foretress can explode, Cobat nearly OHKOes and Muk OHKOes.

Bruno (40) : Easily beats Hitmontop and Hitmonlee. Hitmonchan is feasible thanks to Ice Punch not 2HKOing. Machamp does too much with Rock Slide and Onix sets up Sandstorm.

Karen (40) : It can beat Umbreon and Murkrow.

Lance (40) : Only beats Gyarados that 2HKOes with Hyper Beam and goes for Rain Dance first turn. Dragonite are going to paralyse so it's not feasible and lv50 has Fire Blast.

Great matchup : Chuck

Good matchup : Whitney

Okay matchup : Morty, Clair (can take down the star), Koga, Bruno, Karen, Lance

Bad matchup : Falkner, Bugsy, Jasmine, Pryce, Will

Training the Hoppip line was incredibly frustrating, it was by far the worst thing to level I've used since now in GSC. Hoppip needs babying as it only learns Tackle at level 10. Speaking of which, Tackle is going to be its main move during the whole game and it's incredibly weak (at level 35, it failed to OHKO Slowpoke from the trainer in the underground lol). Battles take forever and it requires switch grinding almost all the time. It doesn't take to much exp to level, but wow this was incredibly annoying.

Whitney : tried this both as Growlithe an Arcanine to try to see differences so gonna post both (by the way back track is long especially when the NPC doesn't want to give you the Fire Stone). Afterwards, it's only going to be Arcanine

Growlithe (20) : 4HKO Clefairy with Ember. Miltank is obviously going to Rollout and win.

Arcanine (20) : 3HKO Clefairy with Ember. Miltank is really AI reliant. It gets 5HKOed by EMber + 4 Dig and most likely goes fo Rollout. Stomp is a loss and you want to use Dig to disrupt Rollout. It's hard but that can be a win.

Rival (22) : Bite OHKOes Haunter and Magnemite is OHKOed by Ember. Bayleef and Zubat are 2HKOed by Ember. that's a clean win.

Morty (25) : Arcanine outspeeds everything. Gastly and Haunter are OHKOed by Bite and Gengar is 2HKOed by it. So, by equiping a Mint Berry, that's a guaranteed win.

Chuck (30) : Headbutt 2HKOes Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath. Taking down Primeape isn't too hard but Poliwrath is way harder as Surf 2HKOes. It's really AI and luck reliant but it can be feasible with Headbutt flinch I guess, still a loss most of the time but better than Quilava as you can at least do half to Poliwrath.

Jasmine (31) : OHKO Magnemite with Ember and 2HKO Steelix with it. You're not even 2HKOed by Rock Throw, so it's a guaranteed win.

Pryce (32) : 2HKO Seel with Headbutt. Dewgong is still outsped after a speed drop and 3HKOed, while not doing much back ith Aurora Beam. Piloswine is 2HKOed by Ember. Solid win, no matter what happens.

RIval (33) : Arcanine outspeeds everything. Golbat is 3HKOed by Ember, Haunter OHKOed by Bite, Magnemite OHKOed by Ember. Seasel and Meganium are both 2HKOed. Barring Confuse Ray hitting too much from Golbat, this should be a clean sweep.

Clair (38) : Arcanine can 2HKO Dragonair, so it can hope to take down Dragonair 2 and Dragonair 3 at once. Kingdra is outsped but only 4HKOed and 2HKOes with Surf.

Rival (40) : Outspeed everything. Everything is OHKOed by Fire Blast and Kadabra is OHKOed by Headbutt so that's a clear win.

Will (41) : Fire Blast OHKOes Xatu 1 and is a range for Xatu 2. It oustpeeds and OHKOes the rest except for Slowbro.

Koga (41) : OHKO the bug and 2HKO Muk and Crobat. Only Crobat is annoying due to Double Team (Arcanine can 7HKO with Headbutt after FUll Restore but it's not adviceable due to Double Team).

Bruno (41) : Arcanine can use Headbutt, then Sunny Day on Dig. From there, it can OHKO Hitmontop, Onix and 2HKO Machamp with Heabutt + Fire Blast. Sun fades and you can put a dent on Hitmonlee. Pretty good as it takes down 3 mon, including the only concerning one and does 70% to another one.

Karen (41) : Didn't bother to try to hit Umbreon due to accuracy problems. Vileplume and Murkrow are OHKOed by Fire Blast. Gengar is 2HKOed by Fire Blast and might go for Curse Arcanine can actually take down Houndoom as it outspeeds, isn't 2HKOed by Crunch and 3HKOes with Heabutt (Karen somehow didn't use a Full Restore). Pretty nice as it can take down 3 mon, including the main threat and potentially Gengar if you're willing to try.

Lance (41) : Only beats Charizard, it 4HKOes and isn't 3HKOed by Slash.

Great matchup : Morty, Jasmine, Pryce, Rival
Good matchup : Will, Koga, Bruno, Karen
Okay matchup : Whitney, Chuck
Bad matchup : Clair, Lance (still took down 2 and 1 mon respectively)

Getting Growlithe was incredibly easy, getting Fire Stone was incredibly annoying tho. I tried it before Whitney and it took forever. It required like 15 calls to get the Fire Stone and back-track is always annoying (playing on emulator is great to gain time at least). Training Arcanine was painfull because it required lots of experience and its STAB was incredibly weak but the great bulk kinda made up for this. Something annoying about Arcanine is relying on the unreliable Fire Blast, which is unaccurate has few PPs and is rather expensive. Otherwise, it didn't need an important TMs (Dig is only to improve odds against Whitney and Headbutt cn easily be bought).

Rival (22) : Vaporeon OHKOes everything but Bayleef (3HKO) with Surf (and even then Razor Leaf didn't do much) and nothing was a problem really as only Haunter outsped.

Morty (25) : Outspeed and OHKO Gastly and Haunter with Surf. As you 2HKO Gengar, there is like a 70% of chance to defeat it with a Mint Berry (it went for Mean Look multiple times). Haunter 2 outspeeds but it doens't matter as you OHKO it and Night Shade does paltry damages.

Chuck (31) : Surprisingly outspeed Primeape but it's a range for the OHKO with Mystic Water. Poliwrath is 4HKOed by Surf and only 3HKOes with Dynamic Punch. Still a loss most of the time but you can try it I guess.

Jasmine (31) : Outspeed and OHKO everything with Surf

Pryce (32) : 2HKO Seel. From my different tests, Dewgong is ging to try to outstall with Rest and doesn't get 3HKOed. Piloswine is OHKOed by Surf.

Rival (33) : Golbat is a speed tie and 2HKOed by Surf. Magneti is OHKOed. Haunter and Sneasel are 2HKOed and don't do much back. Meganium is only 4HKOed so avoid it. Pretty nice as it takes down 4 mons.

Clair (38) : You can take down 2 Dragonair as you 2HKO them with Aurora Beam. Kingdra is impossible to beat.

Rival (40) : OHKO Sneasel with Surf, 2HKO Meganium with Aurora Beam, outspeed and OHKO Haunter and Magneton. Kadabra outspeeds but goes for Future Sight anyway and Golbat is 2HKOed. Clean win

Will (40) : 2HKO Xatu 1, 2HKO Exeggcute with Aurora Beam as it goes for Leech Seed (it used it like 90% of the time in my tests), Jynx is OHKOed by Spell Tag Shadow Ball. Avoid Slowbro and 2HKO Xatu 2. It's really luck reliant due to Confuse Ray but Vaporeon can hope taking down 3 mons (4 if lucky with confusion) as it can take 3 Psychic. Slowbro is 3HKOed by Shadow Ball but I found it better to avoid it.

Koga (41) : Rain Dance on Ariados and you can OHKO the bugs. Muk is 2HKOed by Surf and Crobat by Aurora Beam/Surf. Barring evasion, confusion, it should be a sweep.

Bruno (41) : 2HKO everything but Machamp (3HKOed) and Onix (OHKOed). Vaporeon can hope to take down Hitmontop, Onix and either Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan. Vaporeon won't be able to do much more as it only 2HKOes and easily gets overwhelmed.

Karen (41) : Houndoom was a range for the OHKO (and she used Surf thus it's easy to fish for the OHKO). Umbreon is actually 2HKOed which is a great perk. If this koes, then Vaporeon can take down Murkrow as well (OHKOed by MW Surf) and Gengar (2HKOed but usually go for Curse). It's possible to 2HKO Vileplume with Aurora Beam but it's way better to beat Houndoom tbh. Pretty nice as Vaporeon can take down 4 mons if lucky enough and just beating Umbreon and the dangerous mon is great by itself.

Lance (41) : 2HKO Dragonite as they 2HKO you with Hyper Beam so you can take down 1. Otherwise, you can beat Aerodactyl+Charizard. Kinda deceiving without healing.

Great matchup : Jasmine
Good matchup : Morty, Koga, Karen
Okay matchup : Chuck, Pryce, Clair, Will, Bruno, Lance

Getting Eevee was easy and it comes at a good level and didn't need much grind to catch up to the rest of the team. The problem is that getting Water Stone was absurdely long and I had to use the DST Trick like 40 times to insure I'd have it. Afterwards, Vaporeon was really easy to train, it requires much less experience than something like Lapras and can easily ko things with Surf (getting right of the bat is amazing btw) and was my go to go for switch grinding with Jumpluff. It only ned the Shadow Ball (still don't feel it's absolutely necessary but at least it helped for Jynx).

Now onto the ranks :

Sentret is B-rank. I thought it would be the exact same as Rattata but relied a bit more on Defense Curl. Anyway, this was solid and had a great start, destroying Falkner and Bugsy. Whitney was a pretty solid fight too, like Morty despite not being 100% reliable. Gyms 5/6/7 weren't that good but at least it could do something, Pryce was a win most of the time and unike Raticate, Furret can actually at least dent Steelix with Surf. Clair and Lance were bad but the Elite 4 was pretty good, taking down 3 mons each time, even against Bruno. Between being immediatly available, leveling up really easily and strong performance in the begening, good against the Elite 4, being always dominant against the rival, HM Slave with Surf+Strength and ability to always contribute in battle, Sentret should be B-rank. It's a bit better than Raticate but both deserve the same tier.

Hoppip is D-rank. Wow, this thing was incredibly painfull to use. Training it was really that bad and except for few things like Wobbufett, I don't expect a mon to be that hard at training. In spite of this, Hoppip and its evos were mostly alright in battles. They could hope to at least defeat something in each battle (except for Pryce and Clair), sometimes including the signature mon like Miltank. Obviously, this isn't consistent but it has a niche as being able to slowly outstall something which worked well against Chuck for instance. Just like in the logs, not much to say really, it's useful for beating some mons and easily defeating Chuck so D-rank is warranted. Really I advice no one to try this as it's that hard to train and battles take forever.

Growlithe is B-tier (I wouldn't mind C-tier too but B seems better). It's to put it simply a better Quilava that comes later and that has neither Flame Wheel nor Thunder Punch. Whitney was better and actually winnable, Morty was a 100% sure win (without the need of the contested TM Dig), Chuck was a bit better, Jasmine was the same, Pryce was more consistent and then the rest was mostly the same. The Elite 4 was pretty much the same, trading the ability to beat Slowbro and Gyarados with Thunder Punch for the ability to beat Houndoom. Really, I think Growlithe should be in the same tier as Cyndaquil, it comes later, is more reliant on Fire Blast but has a better mid-game and pretty much the same Elite 4.

Vaporeon is also B-tier. Back track is annoying but it makes up for it by leveling really fast and coming at a good level. Jasmine was an amazing matchup and outside of that Vaporeon was always decent to great. There were no bad matchup really and Vaporeon always contributed to a good level in spite of not always being dominant. Really, Vaporeon is pretty straightforward in this game, just a strong bulky water with alright coverage for the game that always contribute in battle and win most with healing and it perfectly fits B-tier.

Next run is going to be Hootoot, Gengar, Cubone and Marill.

I expect Hoothoot to be C-tier, Gengar to be A-tier (Ryota really hyped me with his post and it seems really great), Cubone to be D-tier (requires coins and I don't think it will be good in battle) and Marill D-tier (seems really weak).

Honestly Hoppip sounds like an E to me. Failing to OHKO a Slowpoke some 20 levels lower is a level of horrid offenses I haven’t seen since BW1 Cottonee, which in retrospect we debated putting in E.

I mean sure you can do support stuff with Hoppip but…why would you want to? Most gyms in this game really aren’t that bad aside from Clair so I don’t see why you’d need the support options anyway. Also beating Chuck really is nothing to get excited over, Primeape tends to be free and quite a few things can beat Poliwrath thanks to it wasting a turn with Mind Reader.

Maybe I’m off base but when you tell everybody to basically avoid it at all costs that sounds like an E to me.

Yeah I guess it would make sense. It was that hard to train and made things way slower than they should have been. It was kinda usable in most battles, being able to take down things like Clair's Kingdra.

I have to agree with you that except for Clair (and Whitney) gyms are easy, as is the Elite 4 except for like Karen's Houndoom and Lance. I tried to rank like LeafGreen but GSC is overall easier. I need to use more things in C-,D- and E-tier and will try to reconsider my noms afterwards (Hoppip, Exeggcute(C) and Butterfree). I'm pretty sure for the upper ranks tho. Totodile is more A than S due to not being dominant enough, Spearow loses badly to Jasmine and Magmar to Clair. Mareep is fine in A because it beats Bugsy, gyms 5-7 and is great for the Elite 4 except for Bruno. Geodude is fine in B (still need to try Golem but looks to be the same tbh) because it's probably the best mon for the first 4 gyms and is mediocre afterwards. Tauros is really strong but B-tier due to bad matchup against Morty, Jasmine and average performance against Clair and Lance as well as being found in mid-game. Gyarados is B-tier because it really lacks the Special Attack mostly (not OHKOing Magnemite with Surf for instance). Jynx is B-tier due to strong matchup against Clair, Lance and most of the Elite 4. Raticate is a sure B-tier because it has a strong early game and while not as good still puts in work in late game and it's literally the same for Sentret. Lapras was incredible and one of the best things I used, being able to beat Clair by itself for instance but can't be A due to being in the slow exp group and found in mid-game (requiring back track). Magmar is clearly A-tier, no doubt about that and only weak performance against Clair and Lance (and I guess being available after the third badge) prevent it from being S-tier. No doubt for Cyndaquil in B-tier too, it just had too many struggles in mid-game. Vulpix seems fine in D-tier (and Ryota confirmed it). Stantler is fine in B-tier, it's a good normal-types that can defeat Whitney that hits hard and is just bulky enough. Lugia will need more tests and it's a matter of philosophy but A-tier looks good for it as it easily wins by itself. Chikorita is fine in C-tier because it always helps the team. Spinarak was alright between beating Bugsy and doing well against Morty and Bruno and it could at least do something most games (like against Karen). Suicune seems fine in B-tier it's great but not as dominant as Lugia. Ursaring as incredibly strong, probably the strongest normal-types and A-tier is perfect for it. Magneton relied a ton on ThunderDance but was great against the Elite 4 really( having something that beats Koga through evasion and that reliably beats Karen's Umbreon is amazing really) and it had unexpectedly good Lance. Legendary dogs are fine in C-tier I guess, they are really strong despite the need of FireBlast/Thunder. Arcanine probably deserves B-tier, it's a Cyndaquil with a better mid-game really, trading a later encounter for the ability to fare better. Sudowoodo is fine in D-tier, it was quite frankly bad and except for Pryce it just didn't win.

I'm going to try to use all Normal-types, this way is should be easier to have a general view of the tiers as it's not hard to graduate them and I can use them as reference for the other rank. I still have Girafarig (seems really strong as it beats Morty and Psychic-types help for Chuck, Will and Bruno), Miltank (looks like a slightly worse Tauros that could defeat Morty with Curlout and has Milk Drink), Meowth (looks bad but will try to use Pay Day), Snubull (seems like a worse Teddiursa really but should still be alright), Dunsparce (which might be the worst normal-type) and Aipom (this looks really bad honestly). I guess Hoothoot, Pidgey and Farfetch'd could be considered as Normal-types too. Going to try Water-types too and that should help at having a proper raking. Afterwards, it should be clearer as things will be well-settled (S-rank and A-rank will probably be small btw). And, I'll be able to rank more accurately Exeggutor, Butterfree and Ledyba.

So several things here before I disappear into the deep recesses of this thread before I am summoned again.

Zebes I appreciated the enthusiasm, but can you perhaps tone down the walls of text you post? While I’m all for you posting your thoughts, it’s a tad excessive. If you could make them a bit more concise and to the point, I’d greatly appreciate it.

I do not really condone the usage of RNG Manipulation. Now, if we are talking more about altering the routes they appear in, that’s fine. That’s a simple move back and forth between a route and city. But if we are talking about manipulating the results of capture, then no. It takes A LOT of effort to get that manipulation down and not what this list is aiming for. It’s generally assumed you would be catching Raikou and Entei with the Master Ball which is post Clair. The sheer amount of money required to Capture them and even more so, get them to full power can potentially be astronomical.

Also, I do not wish to see more talks on the Cyndaquil line until this list is ready for that topic. A warning was issued by DHR-107 regarding this. Please be advised that talks regarding this mon can lead to consequences. I have not given the go ahead to continue with these talks. Please wait until you see that specific post.

Now onto myself, I’ve started a test with Totodile, Pidgey, Nidoking, and Butterfree. I’ll post my logs once I get Whitney done. After this test, placements will happen to the following Pokémon: Totodile, Nidoking, Growlithe, Spearow.

While the placements are short, they’ve had a good chunk of tests and are ready to be in their official tiers for this list. If the ones listed are being tested by anyone, you have 2 weeks to get your logs in before I move on.

Thank you all for your continued tests. Let’s see this list to completion.

I'm gonna post my Cyndaquil logs alongside my thoughts about it later, I'm on Lance and about to finish the logs when the post above was posted.

=Falkner=
Geodude L11
Rock Throw 1HKOs Pidgey and 2HKOs Pidgeotto(close to 1HKOing)
Shaky matchup due to Mud-Slap, but great overall.
=Bugsy=
Geodude L16
Rock Throw 1HKOs the cocoons and Scyther
=Rival 2=
Geodude L16
Magnitude 1HKOs Gastly
Rock Throw 1HKOs Zubat
Croconaw is a no
=Whitney=
Geodude L20
Dig 2HKOs Clefairy and 4HKOs Miltank

Attempted to Rollout sweep
Set up 1 Defense Curl
Rollout 2HKOs Clefairy and 3rd hit 1HKOs Miltank. Only watch out for Attract.
=Rival 3=
Geodude L20
Magnitude 1HKOs Haunter and Magnemite
Rock Throw 1HKOs Zubat
Croconaw is a no.
=Morty=
Geodude L23
Magnitude 1HKOs Gastly and Haunter, and 2HKOs Gengar(Magnitude 7 is close to 1HKOing)
=Chuck=
Graveler L30
Magnitude 2HKOs Primeape. Poliwrath is a no
=Jasmine=
Graveler L30
Magnitude 1HKOs Magnemite and Magnitude 9 puts Steelix in yellow. Steelix 1HKOs back.

Attempt 2:
Set-up 1 Defense Curl and used a held Bitter Berry against Magnemite, so Graveler survives an Iron Tail afterwards. Still a loss, its reliant on luck involving a high Magnitude number and Steelix missing an Iron Tail to win this.
=Pryce=
Graveler L31
Soft Sand Magnitude 8 1HKOs Seel(2HKOs if 7 or below) and 7 appears to be a 3HKO on Piloswine. Piloswine 1HKOs back
Rock Throw 2HKOs Dewgong. Dewgong outspeeds and 2HKOs back
=Rival 4=
Graveler L33
Rock Throw 2HKOs Golbat and Sneasel(close to 1HKOing)
Magnitude 1HKOs Haunter(after it uses Curse) and Magnemite
Feraligatr is a no.
=Clair=
Graveler L38
Nope, gets destroyed by Surf. It can only beat Thunderbolt Dragonair by 2HKOing with Magnitude 7, but it 3HKOs back.
=Rival 5=
Graveler L39
Rock Throw 1HKOs Sneasel and 2HKOs Golbat
Magnitude 1HKOs Magneton, Haunter and Kadabra
Feraligatr is a no.
=Will=
Graveler L40
Rock Throw 2HKOs Xatu. All 2HKOs back except Jynx who 1HKOs back instead. Bad
=Koga=
Graveler L40
Rock Throw 2HKOs Ariados and Venomoth and 3HKOs Crobat(close to 2HKOing). Graveler outspeeds Ariados,but it almost gets 1HKOed back.

Set-up 1 Defense Curl against Forretress
Rollout 3HKOs Forretress, and 4th hit 1HKOs Muk

I used 1 Rare Candy to see Earthquake
Earthquake 2HKOs Ariados and Venomoth, 3HKOs Forretress and 1HKOs Muk
Rock Throw reliably 2HKOs Crobat
=Bruno=
Graveler L41
Soft Sand Earthquake 1HKOs Hitmontop(after it uses Dig) and Hitmonlee, 2HKOs Hitmonchan and is close at 1HKOing Onix
Machamp outspeeds and 1HKOs back.
=Karen=
Graveler L41
Earthquake 3HKOs Umbreon and 1HKOs Gengar and Houndoom . Umbreon 3HKOs back, Vileplume 1HKOs back, and Houndoom almost 1HKOs back
Rock Throw 2HKOs Murkrow.
Houndoom and Murkrow went for Roar/Whirlwind for some reason...
=Lance=
Graveler L42
Rock Throw 2HKOs Aerodactyl, 1HKOs Charizard and 3HKOs the Dragonites. Thunder one 3HKOs back with Twister and the other two 1HKOs back with Blizzard and Outrage, Gyarados 1HKOs back, and Charizard almost 2HKOs back with Flamethrower
Geodude is... weird. Its performance is rather lopsided between actually amazing and quite mediocre. Geodude just loses a lot of good quality post-Morty and combined with low speed, it struggles to contribute properly against bosses bar Rival, Jasmine and Koga. I am mixed between A or B on this one, though leaning slightly towards the latter. I just couldn't properly pinpoint its overall performance because there's a huge gap between early game and late game in terms of what it can do.
=Bugsy=
Flaaffy L16
Thundershock 2HKOs the cocoons and Scyther
=Rival 2=
Flaaffy L16
Thundershock 2HKOs Gastly and Zubat, and 3HKOs Croconaw(close to 2HKOing)
=Whitney=
Flaaffy L20
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Clefairy and 3HKOs Miltank. Miltank 3HKOs back
=Rival 3=
Flaaffy L22-23
Magnet Thunderpunch 2HKOs Haunter(1HKOs after it uses Curse),1HKOs Zubat, and is close at 1HKOing Croconaw(Level 23 reliably 1HKOs)
Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite
=Morty=
Flaaffy L23
Thunderpunch 1HKOs Gastly, 2HKOs Haunter(1HKOs after it uses Curse), and 3HKOs Gengar
=Chuck=
Ampharos L30
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Primeape and Poliwrath.
=Jasmine=
Ampharos L30
Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite and 2HKOs Steelix
=Pryce=
Ampharos L31
Magnet Thunderpunch 1HKOs Seel and is close to 1HKOing Dewgong
Fire Punch 2HKOs Piloswine
=Rival 4=
Ampharos L33
Magnet Thunderpunch 2HKOs Sneasel, 1HKOs Golbat, Haunter and Feraligatr
Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite
=Clair=
Ampharos L38
Return 3HKOs the Dragonairs(close to 2HKOing)
Thunderpunch 3HKOs Kingdra. Kingdra 3HKOs back

Ampharos used Thunderpunch
Ampharos's attack missed!
Enemy Kingdra used Surf
Enemy Kingdra used Surf
Enemy Kingdra used Surf
Ampharos fainted!
=Rival 5=
Ampharos L39
Magnet Thunderpunch 2HKOs Sneasel, 1HKOs Haunter and Golbat, and is close to 1HKOing Kadabra and Feraligatr.
Fire Punch 1HKOs Magneton
=Will=
Ampharos L40
Magnet Thunderpunch 1HKOs the Xatus and 2HKOs Slowbro
Fire Punch 2HKOs Jynx and Exeggutor
=Koga=
Ampharos L40
Magnet Thunderpunch 2HKOs Ariados and Venomoth, 3HKOs Muk and is close to 1HKOing Crobat
Fire Punch 1HKOs Forretress
=Bruno=
Ampharos L41
Magnet Thunderpunch 3HKOs the Hitmons(close to 2HKOing) and Machamp. Machamp 2HKOs back
Fire Punch 4HKOs Onix(close to 3HKOing)

This may be a rare occurrence but, my Ampharos speedties with Hitmontop and makes the matchup awkward.
=Karen=
Ampharos L41
Magnet Thunderpunch 4HKOs Umbreon, 2HKOs Gengar(1HKOs after it uses Curse), 1HKOs Murkrow and 3HKOs Houndoom. Houndoom 2HKOs back
Fire Punch 2HKOs Vileplume
=Lance=
Ampharos L42
Magnet Thunderpunch 1HKOs Gyarados and Aerodactyl, 4HKOs L50 Dragonite, has a roll to 3HKO L47 Dragonite, and is close to 1HKOing Charizard
Mareep is kinda a little bit weak until Thundershock, but it can reach that easier thanks to Medium Slow level rate and after that, it becomes a solid pokemon. Getting Thunderpunch and Fire Punch through TM and learning Thunder Wave as Flaaffy is great. I'm going for A Tier on this one, the rest of my thoughts are already mentioned by Ryota and Zebes.
=Morty=
Magmar L23
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Gastly and 2HKOs Haunter(close to 1HKOing) and Gengar
=Chuck=
Magmar L30
Fire Punch 2HKOs Primeape.
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Poliwrath. Magmar can tank a Surf, but gets 1HKOed by Dynamicpunch if Primeape went for Leer.
=Jasmine=
Magmar L30
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite and 2HKOs Steelix(close to 1HKOing)
=Pryce=
Magmar L31
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Seel(close to 1HKOing) and Dewgong.
Charcoal Fire Punch has a roll to 1HKO Piloswine.
=Rival 4=
Magmar L33
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Golbat and Feraligatr
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite and Sneasel, and is close at 1HKOing Haunter(1HKOs if it uses Curse)
=Clair=
Magmar L38
Strength has a roll to 2HKO the Dragonairs
Thunderpunch 4HKOs Kingdra. Kingdra almost 1HKOs back
=Rival 5=
Magmar L39
Fire Punch 1HKOs Sneasel, Haunter and Magneton, 2HKOs Golbat and is close to 1HKOing Kadabra.
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Feraligatr.
=Will=
Magmar L40
Thunderpunch 2HKOs the Xatus and Slowbro(3HKOs after it uses Amnesia)
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Exeggutor and is close to 1HKOing Jynx

I used 1 Rare Candy to see Flamethrower
Sunny Day Charcoal Flamethrower 1HKOs both Xatus
=Koga=
Magmar L40
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Ariados, Venomoth, and Forretress
Thunderpunch 3HKOs Crobat(close to 2HKOing)
Set-up Sunny Day against Forretress.
Sunny Day Charcoal Fire Punch 3HKOs Muk(close to 2HKOing) and 2HKOs Crobat

Used 1 Rare Candy to see Flamethrower
Charcoal Flamethrower 2HKOs Crobat
Sunny Day Charcoal Flamethrower 2HKOs Muk and Crobat
=Bruno=
Magmar L41
Charcoal Flamethrower 2HKOs the Hitmons and Onix, and 3HKOs Machamp(close to 2HKOing)
Sunny Day Charcoal Flamethrower 2HKOs Machamp and is close at 1HKOing Onix.
=Karen=
Magmar L41
Charcoal Flamethrower 3HKOs Umbreon, 1HKOs Vileplume and 2HKOs Gengar
Thunderpunch is close at 1HKOing Murkrow
Return 3HKOs Houndoom

Sunny Day Charcoal Flamethrower has a roll to 2HKO Umbreon and it 3HKOs Houndoom
=Lance=
Magmar L42
Magnet Thunderpunch 2HKOs Gyarados(close to 1HKOing) and Charizard, and 6HKOs the Dragonites(close to 5HKOing L47 ones). Aerodactyl 1HKOs back
Return 5HKOs Dragonite
Even with some availability issue, Magmar is amazing with immediate Fire Punch and Thunderpunch and gaining Flamethrower around Elite 4. This is A tier for sure.

Geodude - A/B
Mareep - A
Magmar - A
I'm gonna go for Silver run using Jigglypuff, Zubat(Union Cave), Drowzee, and Golbat(Tohjo Falls) next. I want to test which path Zubat should be caught the best, and as for Golbat, i decided to catch one on Tohjo Falls because Mt. Mortar Golbats(Screech) are exclusive to Crystal(Screech Golbat is unobtainable in Gold/Silver and the ones at Mt. Mortar are Level 30 and are locked to a waterfall) and I want to specify that this Zubat/Golbat is same in all version, so no Screech Golbat. Tohjo Falls also has higher 20% encounter rate than Dark Cave's 5% encounter rate. I'm not gonna used Friend Ball on this one because i'm assuming the early game Zubat is probably gonna evolved into Crobat sooner and i want to see if there's an actual difference between Golbat's 80 Atk and Crobat's 90 Atk and if Golbat's 90 Speed is sufficient enough against bosses, so Tohjo Falls Golbat is going to stay unevolved for this next entire test.

Ryota Mitarai Quite a good list of auto-E tiers, my one exception to it would be Natu. STAB Fly as well as a decently timed evolution let it deal with the second half of Johto okay and have it have meaningful E4 contributions (most notably resisting Will's Psychics while killing Exeggutor and safely 3HKOing Slowbro due to Night Shade). It very definitely cannot ever go higher than D due to Xatu still being fairly mediocre (lacking Psychic STAB until Kanto hurts) and needing a backtrack, but at least it's somewhat functional and doesn't belong in the same trash tier as Ditto, Ledian, Hoppip or Shuckle.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For some things on my E-tier list, I may test them in the future to make sure they are E-tiers, but keep in mind that they are incredibly low-priority to me and those tests will happen after I test everything else I want to, if I even get around to testing them on first place.

Anyways, did my run with Haunter / Togepi / Stantler / Koffing. Haunter's logs start from Morty, as I've already covered Gastly in my Gengar run. Togepi assumes no DST tricks, just like Espeon, since that alone would knock it down a lot.

Haunter

Morty(25): Gastly is the only thing you 2HKO and it likes to Curse anyways. Bad matchup

Chuck(31): beats Primeape with no problems. Can beat Poliwrath with Curse + Hypnosis

Jasmine(31): lol no, Steel resists Ghost in most generations

Pryce(31): Shadow Ball 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong, outspeeding both even at -1. Piloswine will generally finish it off, so might as well Curse on it

Silver(33): Shadow Ball 3HKOes Golbat and OHKOes Haunter. Meganum can be crippled with Curse, Hypnosis, and Night Shade, if not even defeated

Clair(38): Spell Tag Shadow Ball doesn't even 2HKO Dragonair, which 3-4HKOes with special moves

Silver(40): beats Kadabra, Haunter, and Meganium

Will(41): at best kills Jynx. The rest live one Spell Tag Shadow Ball and pretty much nuke it with Psychic

Koga(41): can't 2HKO anything, though things like Ariados and Muk don't have a good way of hitting you either

Bruno(41): Spell Tag Shadow Ball 2HKOes only Hitmonlee. Hitmonchan can be beaten with no problems and Curse or Hypnosis can be used on the rest, if needed

Karen(42): it's useful for Cursing Umbreon, but for anything else, it's ehhh

Lance(42): can Curse on all DNites to assist teammates

Togetic

Bugsy(17): Scyther overwhelms it

Silver(17): beats only Zubat

Whitney(20): PB Return 3HKOes Clefairy. Miltank wins, unless you confuse it, Charm it, and get lucky with Metronome

Silver(22): beats Zubat only

Morty(25): lol no

Chuck(30): (Togetic) PB Return 2HKOes Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath. Support moves can help against Poliwrath, but still luck-based

Jasmine(30): Fire Blast 2HKOes Steelix and OHKOes Magnemite. Hf missing

Pryce(31): reliably beats only Seel

Silver(33): PB Return 3HKOes Golbat. Shadow Ball KOes Haunter after it Curses (Haunter is faster). Sneasel and Magnemite are OHKOed by Fire Blast. Meganium is 2HKOd. Not a great matchup due to Togetic being very inconsistent

Clair(38): PB Return doesn't 2HKO anything, though Double-Edge most likely does. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt are problematic

Silver(40): Fire Blast OHKOes Sneasel and Magneton and 2HKOes Meganium. PB Return OHKOes Kadabra and puts Golbat in range for Double-Edge

Will(42): can only 2HKO Jynx and Exeggutor, the rest are 3HKOs at best and they can 3HKO back with little difficulty

Koga(42): Fire Blast 2HKOes Venomoth and OHKOes the other Bugs.

Bruno(42): Fly cannot OHKO anything. Super effective coverage is problematic and Hitmonlee likes to Swagger it.

Karen(42): 2HKOes Vileplume with Fire Blast. Can also kill Murkrow, I guess

Stantler

Whitney(20): PB Headbutt 2HKOes Clefairy and 3HKOes Miltank. Miltank is faster and 3HKOes with Stomp. Your best bet here is to put it to sleep with Hypnosis and hope you get lucky enough. If it goes for Rollout, though, you generally win

Silver(22): beats Zubat and Bayleef

Morty(25): nope, unless you have Mud-slap, but still luck-based

Chuck(30): PB Headbutt 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath. Sweep is luck-based

Jasmine(30): at best you can do something here with Mud-slap, but ehhh

Pryce(31): PB Headbutt 3HKOes Piloswine and 2HKOes the rest. Blizzard 3HKOes, but it prefers to go for Fury Attack for some reason

Silver(33): PB Headbutt beats Sneasel, Golbat, and Meganium (Meganium is 3HKOed with no Reflect)

Clair(38): outspeeds and puts Dragonair in red with PB Return. Their special moves 5-6HKO, so you may be able to actually kill all of them without healing

Silver(40): PB Return OHKOes Kadabra and Sneasel. Earthquake OHKOes Magneton and Haunter. Golbat and Meganium are 2HKOed by PB Return, though Meganium seems like a roll

Will(41): PB Return 2HKOes Xatu and OHKOes Jynx. Slowbro is 3HKOed. Exeggutor is 2HKOed, iirc, but can't remember. Psychic is a 3HKO from Xatu and a 2HKO from Exeggutor. Hypnosis is your best way to do significant damage to his team

Koga(42): PB Return 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth and 3HKOes Crobat. Earthquake 2HKOes Muk. Not a terribl matchup

Bruno(42): PB Return 2HKOes Hitmonchan and OHKOes Hitmonlee. Hitmontop dies to EQ while Digging. If you have taken no damage, Hitmonchan 3HKOes with Mach Punch

Karen(42): beats Murkrow, Vileplume, anad Gengar

Weezing

Silver(22): easily handles Bayleef, but gets haxed by Zubat often and can't touch the others

Morty(25): you can try to build up Hard Stone Rollout, which sooner or later OHKOes everything, but is luck reliant

Chuck(30): beats Primeape. Poliwrath 2HKOes it with Surf, so nope

Jasmine(30): Fire Blast 2HKOes Steelix and OHKOes Magnemite. Hf missing

Pryce(31): reliably beats Seel only. Dewgong is 3HKOed by PBarb Sludge Bomb, but it also 3HKOes back with urora Beam after taking on Seel, so you need to get a lucky poison to win. Blizzard 2HKOes Koffing and Fire Blast also 2HKOes Piloswine

Silver(33): Thunder 2HKOes Golbat, Fire Blast OHKOes Magnemite, and PBarb Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Sneasel and Meganium. Not a great matchup, given it's not very consistent

Clair(38): PBarb Bomb 2HKOes Dragonair, you are taking out two at best without healing

Silver(40): Fire Blast OHKOes Sneasel and Magneton. PBarb Sludge Bomb OHKOes Kadabra and 2HKOes Meganium. Thunder almost OHKOes Golbat and OHKOes Haunter after Curse

Will(41): lol no

Koga(41): beats Ariados and Forry. Venomoth 2HKOes with Psychic, the rest are simply unreliable or bad matchups

Bruno(41): PBarb Bomb 2HKOes the Hitmons. If you get a Swagger from Hitmonlee and make it through, you can even 2HKO Machamp

Karen(41): PBarb Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Murkrow, while Fire Blast 2HKOes Vileplume. The rest are not worth fighting

thoughts:

Gastly (No Trade)
Honestly, while I expected this, I find it somewhat saddening that, for once, Haunter is significantly worse than Gengar. In almost every other game, they are typically the same rank or Haunter is only a tier below Gengar. The problem with Haunter is that it doesn't learn the elemental punches. To make things worse, it also doesn't learn Sludge Bomb. Your only forms of consistent damage are Shadow Ball and Night Shade. With that said, it had the room to run Hypnosis and Curse for the whole run. Hypnosis is situational, but Curse came in clutch againts difficult opponents like Kingdra and Umbreon. Outspeeding and Cursing Lance's Dragonite is also somewhat good. In terms of rank, I am gonna go with D-tier. Shadow Ball rarely 2HKOes major opponents and Haunter doesn't do much beyond Cursing, but it's useful enough where you can't put it in E-tier.

Togepi
Honestly, I want to say E-tier on it. You first have to hatch it as an egg (preferably before you continue with your journey), though that at least gives you friendship of 120 instead of 70. However, even with a full-power Return, Togetic would often fail to 2HKO the bulkier opponents and had to rely a lot on super effective Fire Blasts (expensive and inaccurate TM) for some OHKOs. It was particularly bad for Silver, where it only managed to do things with the aforementioned Fire Blast. It levels up fast and can be useful with support moves like Encore, Sweet Kiss, and Charm, but as Drums said, the games are so easy that I would question whenever you truly need support moves in this game. Could be D-tier and me just being too harsh on it, but I wouldn't be exaggarating if I said that Togepi is awful

Stantler
I am not sure if it's me, but I have some doubts about B-tier and feel like a case for C-tier can be made. I think the issue is that Stantler's coverage for most of the game is pretty bad, since it doesn't learn Shadow Ball or some other cool move, with Mud-slap being its only other option. With that said, its Headbutt is pretty powerful early on, most likely outmuscling almost everything else you have available at that time. Unfortunately, thta is useless for Jasmine and Morty and Normal typing against Poliwrath is pretty bad. Its end-game performance was acceptable, so I could mayyybe see B-tier, but another test on this for C vs B would probably be good.

Koffing
Yeah, D-tier as always. Koffing almost always looks good only on paper till you actually use it and realize that it's simply not that good. For starters, its starting movepool is terrible and its strongest move for that time is Rollout. Sludge and then Sludge Bomb help out, though Bomb, in particular, sees usage in like three Gyms only. Koffing is reliant on GC TMs to hit some opponents harder and, on top of this, it doesn't even learn Rain Dance to combine it with Thunder. Koffing is all-around a Pokemon that is either reliant on the inaccurate and expensive GC TMs or simply not great, as seen at the E4, where it flops against Will, Karen, and (presumably) Lance. D-tier seems good for it

next team: Hoothoot / Cubone (C) / Machop (No Trade) / Shellder (C). Expect possible delay for those logs.

Last edited:
Turdterra : Sorry, will try to make shorter posts (and use hide tags if needed) and smaller replies to other posts. As for RNG Manip, with what you said (I agree that manip would take too much time and lucky encounters won't always result in catching them) and I still believe that Entei and Raikou should be in C-tier due to how good they are against the Elite 4.

Ryota Mitarai : I was a bit on the fence regarding Stantler for the reasons you mentionned but I still believe it should be in B-tier. Whitney was mostly positive (tried about 15 times and Miltank uses Rollout like 80% of the time) and Chuck wasn't that bad between being able to take a Headbutt and possible flinch. We had similar experiences with Stantler but with Return outdamaging Headbutt at this time, Pryce was a bit more consistent as Seel is OHKOed and Piloswine was a range for the 2HKO. It would be cool to have another test on it tho.

Now, onto my runs, except for Gengar, which was amazing the three other mons were really that bad. I'm looking forward to seeing Ryota's posts on them.

Falkner (11) : Only beats Pidgey, 3HKOing it. Pidgeotto outspeeds, 4HKOes with Gust and needs 6 Tackle.

Bugsy (17) : Hoothoot 3HKOes Metapod and 2HKOes or 3HKOes Kakuna (if it uses Harden). Scyther is 4HKOed by Peck and 4HKOes with 4 consecutive Fury Cutters but thanks to Hypnosis, it should be a win. Good matchup.

Rival (17) : Outspeed and 3HKO Gastly with Peck. It's better to avoid Zubat because Hoothoot only 5HKOes it and SuperSonic is going to be annoying. Bayleef is 3HKOed by Peck. Hoothoot can just hope to take Gastly and Bayleef really.

Whitney (21) : Noctowl only 5HKOes Clefairy, not even being sure to beat it. Miltank is obviously going to win handily.

Morty (25) : Noctowl can only hope to beat Gastly which is OHKOed by Peck after Curse and Haunter that is 3HKOed by Peck, as long as it doesn't put it asleep. Haunter 2 can't hit it so taking it down will be easy. Gengar will be really troublesome because Peck only 6HKOes it so it will have plenty of time to use Hypnosis+Dream Eater.

Chuck (30) : Outspeed and 2HKO Primeape with Return. Poliwrath only gets 4HKOed and 2HKOes back. Mediocre matchup

Jasmine (30) : Nop

Pryce (32) : Can only hope to defeat either Seel or Dewgong. Seel is going to use Icy Wind and Dewgong outspeeds after speed drop and can 3HKO with Aurora Beam while being 3HKOed itself. Piloswine does too much with Blizzard. Bad matchup

Rival (33) : Noctowl can defeat Golbat, outspeeding, 3HKOing while taking half from 2 Wing Attack. Haunter is outsped and Fly+Curse should kill even tho you should probably switch out. Sneasel is 2HKOed by Return. It can be tricky for Meganium as it can use Reflect on Fly and Body Slam does decent damages. Shouls beat 3 mons so alright

Clair (38) : Return is a range to 2HKO Dragonair (most of the time it seems to 3HKO tho). Noctowl can hope to only beat the first one as Ice Beam and Thunderbolt 3HKOes it. Kingdra is only 4HKOed by Return and with Hype Beam 2HKOing, Smokescreen and Hyper Potion, it will be really hard to get past it.

Silver (40) : 2HKO Sneasel with Return. OHKO Haunter with Fly if it uses Curse. Golbat is a range for the 2HKO and Confuse Ray can be annoying. Kadabra is outsped and OHKOed by Return. Meganium is 3HKOed by Fly and won't be easy to beat due to Reflect and Body Slam.

Will (40) : Taking down either Xatu will be hard because while you outspeed the first one, Return is only a 3HKO and Confuse Ray added with Psyhic 3HKOing is going to be too much. Jynx is a speed tie is 2HKOed by Return and Ice Punch does a lot and Lovely Kiss is bad. Exeggutor is beatable as it gets 3HKOed by Fly, even though Reflect is going to be annoying. Slowbro is only 4HKOed and beteen Curse and Body Slam is going to prove to be a threat. Pretty bad matchup as despite its great special defense, Noctowl can only claim one safe kill.

Koga (41) : Return 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth. Foretress is impossible to get through, Muk is 4HKOed and between Minimize Acid Armor and Sludge Bomb 2HKOing unlikely to be beaten and Crobat is only 3HKOed and is gonna hax.

Bruno (41) : Can beat 2 Hitmon as it takes 3 Quick Attack and either 2 Mach Punch or one Double Kick/High Jump Kick, while 2HKOing Hitmonchan and Hitmontop. Machamp is only 3HKOed by Fly and Rock Slide is almost an OHKO.

Karen (41) : Noctowl beats Vileplume and Murkrow, 2HKOed by Fly and Return respectively . Umbreon is only 5HKOed by Return and is going to hax. Houndoom 3HKOes with Flamethrower and is only 3HKOed by Return. Gengar is only 2HKOed by Fly after Curse and is going to use Destiny Bond.

Lance (41) : Nop. Outspeed and 4HKO Gyara but Rain Dance + Surf + Hyper Beam koes. Everything else is going to ko it with Hyper Beam.

Good matchup : Bugsy

Okay matchup : Morty, Chuck, Rival, Will, Koga, Bruno, Karen

Bad matchup : Falkner, Whitney, Jasmine, Pryce, Clair, Lance

Finding Hoothoot was really easy but training it was painfull. Med fast group is terrible in GSC and Noctowl was really that weak (it's the first time STAB Return doesn't OHKO Jynx for instance) but at least its solid special bulk could make up for it. It only ned a contested TM in Return.

Falkner (11) : Nop

Bugsy (17/18) : Beating the cocoons takes forever as it will require around 20 licks but isn't problematic as Metapod can't hurt and Kakuna does 1 damage with Poison Sting. Scyther is surprisngly good as Curse and 3 Licks koes it while Gastly was able to take 3 Fury Cutter even after Curse, surviving with 3 HP. Great matchup

Rival (18) : 2HKO Gastly with Lick, avoid Zubat as it has Bite and you can Curse Sleep Bayleef. Bayleef may be sometimes able to take down Gastly if it was previously hiy by Lick but taking down 1 mon and severly harming the biggest threat is great.

Whitney (21) : Can Curse Miltank and try to put it asleep as it takes 2 Rollout.

Silver (22/23) : Can beat Bayleef, 3HKOing with Night Shade and 2HKO Magnemite with it. Curse from Haunter will be too annoying and Zubat uses Bite.

Morty (25) : Gengar outspeeds everything. Gastly is OHKOed, Haunter 2HKOed and Gengar 3HKOed. The problem is that if Haunter uses Curse, then Gengar can OHKO with Shadow Ball. Still an alright matchup as Gengar can try putting asleep Haunter and Gengar and can hope to defeat Gastly and both Haunter.

Chuck (30) : Thunder Punch 2HKOes Primeape (that can't hit Gengar) and Poliwrath, which does like 35% with Surf. Easy win.

Jasmine (31) : Fire Punch OHKOes Magnemite and 2HKOes Steelix and Gengar lives an Iron Tail. Clean win

Pryce (32) : Thunder Punch OHKO Seel and 2HKO Dewgong while Fire Punch 2HKOes Piloswine. Gengar can live Aurora Beam + Blizzard so that's another solid win.

Rival (33/34) : Gengar outspeeds everything and OHKOes Golbat with Ice Punch, OHKOes Sneasel and Magnemite with Fire Punch, Haunter with Shadow Ball and 2HKOes Meganium with Ice/Fire Punch. Another easy win.

Clair (38) : NeverMeltIce Ice Punch OHKOed Dragonair. Sadly, Kingdra is only 3HKOed and 2HKOes with Surf. Still great as Clair is difficult and Gengar beats the first 3 mon.

Rival (40) : Just like the underground fight, everything but Meganium (that does nothing backand is 2HKOed) is OHKOed by elementary Punch or Shadow Ball. Another clean win.

Will (40/41) : Outspeed everything and OHKO both Xatu with Ice Punch, OHKO Jynx with Shadow Ball. Slowbro is 2HKOed by Thunder Punch (Thunder Punch + Shadow Ball koes if it goes for Amnesia but from my tests it always used Psychic) but you barely take a Psychic. Exeggutor seems to be a range with NeverMeltIce Ice Punch but OHKOes with Psychic. Great matchup nevertheless as you beat 4 mons at least and the last one is a range.

Koga (41/42) : Fire Punch OHKOes Ariados and Foretress and 2HKO Venomoth. Crobat is 2HKOed by ThunderPunch and Muk is 4HKOed. Considering Muk barely does damages with Sludge Bomb, it should get beaten and that should result in a sweep as Gengar easily takes Psychic from Venomoth + Wing Attack from Crobat. Great matchup.

Bruno (42) : Shadow Ball 2HKOes Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan that can't do much back and Ice Punch OHKOes Onix. Hitmontop is only 2HKOed and Dig does a lot. Rock Slide from Machamp 2HKOes and it's only 3HKOed (not to mention Full Restore)

Karen (42/43) : Murkrow is OHKOed by Ice Punch, Gengar is OHKOed by Shadow Ball and Vileplume is 2HKOed by Ice Punch so Gnegar can take down the three.

Lance (43/44) : Thunder Punch OHKOes Gyarados and NVI Ice Punch OHKOes the three Dragonite. Aerodactyl was 2HKOed by Ice Punch while it surprisingly couldn't 2HKO with Rock Slide. Gengar was also able to solo Charizard as it easily takes a Flamethrower but is unfortunably unable to take Rock Slide + Flamethrower. Really amazing matchup as Gengar beats Gyarados, the three Dragonite and you can choose between killing either Aerodactyl or Charizard. (My Gengar was probably a bit overleveled and I found weird that it outsped Aero but regardless barring a rock slide flinch it should defeat Aero).

Great matchup : Chuck, Jasmine, Pryce, Rival, Koga, Lance
Good matchup : Bugsy, Clair, Will
Okay matchup : Whitney, Morty, Bruno, Karen
Bad matchup : Falkner

Catching Gastly was easy and training was actually fairly easy. Most mons only have Normal-types attacks in the begening and won't be able to hit Gastly. Around Goldenrod things were a bit more difficult due to Lick being weak but Night Shade made up for it. When it evolved, Gengar was incredibly to train, as it could easily OHKO or 2HKO almost everything and wasn't outsped. The elementary punches are cheap so ne problem getting them and Shadow Ball is barely used honestly. The Medium Slow group is amazing and Gastly and Gengar leveled up really quickly so that was an additionnal perk.

Whitney (21) : Cubone can 3HKO Clefairy with Headbutt. Miltank is too much and even Rollout destroys Cubone.

Rival (22) : Cubone OHKOes Haunter and Magnemite with Bone Club. Avoid the rest.

Morty (25) : Cubone OHKOes everything with Bonemerang. Equiped with a Mint Berry, a win is largely possible as long as both Haunter and Gastly don't use Hypnosis and hit. Pretty nice matchup even though misses can occur

Chuck (30) : Can only beat Primeape as Poliwrath outspeeds and 2HKOes with Surf

Jasmine (31) : Outspeed and OHKO both Magnemite with Dig. Leer and 2 Bonemerang koes Steelix as it can't 2HKO with Iron Tail. Solid win as long as you hit.

Pryce (32) : Only beats Seel.

Rival (33) : Beats Sneasel, Magnemite and Haunter.

Clair (38) : Just beats one Dragonair as it 2HKOes and takes ton of damages from them.

Rival (40) : Beats Sneasel, Kadabra, Magneton and Haunter.

Will (40) : Surprisingly, it can only claim a kill on either Jynx or Slowbro. Jynx can't OHKO even with Ice Punch and Slowbro gets 3HKOed while not 2HKOing with Psychic.

Koga (40) : 2HKO Ariados and Venomoth with Earthquake. Foretress is 3HKOed (I guess Fire Punch might OHKO it but didn't bother trying it). Muk is 2HKOed by Earthquake and Sludge Bomb does paltry damages. Pretty good outside of Crobat.

Bruno (41) : Earthquake OHKOes Hitmontop as it uses Dig. Then Marowak can hope to beat either Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan 2HKOing with Earthquake while taking half and Onix, barely living 4 hits. Alright matchup

Karen (41) : Beats Houndoom 1v1 as it takes a Flamethrower and OHKOes with Earthquake and wins against Gengar.

Lance (41) : Nop

Great matchup :

Good matchup : Morty, Jasmine, Koga

Okay matchup : Whitney, Clair, Bruno, Karen

Bad matchup : Chuck, Pryce, Will, Lance

Getting Cubone was actually really expensive and I had to use nearly all my money on it (wasn't that much of a problem tho as it's easy to earn mone afterwards and I had no troubles buying the elementary punches). Med Fast group is annoying but Cubone and Marowak are quite strong and having a STAB right of the bat clearly helped.

Rival (22) : Doesn't do much outside of beating Zubat as it can't start curlout. Haunter is OHKOed by Surf if it uses Curse. I guess it should beat Quilava easily but the rival had Bayleef.

Morty (25/26) : Curlout can possibly beat the team by setting up on Gastly, OHKOing after its Curse, 2HKOing Haunter and OHKOing Gengar and last Haunter (which doesn't ko with. The problem with this strategy is how unreliable this can be. Azumarill is outsped by everything and guaranteed to lose half health due to Curse. Haunter and Gengar can very well use Hypnosis (they mostly used Mean Look for some reasons), Gastly can para and Rollout can miss. Possible but unreliable sweep

Chuck (30) : Rollout can be used and will 4HKO Primeape and nearly OHKOes Poliwrath. The problem with this strategy is that it's once again unreliable and both outspeeds and will have the time to do severe damages.

Jasmine (31) : Magnemite are 2HKOed by Surf and Thunderbolt 2HKOes so it's better to avoid them. Azumarill 2HKOes Steelix with Mistyc Water Surf through Sunny Day. It should be a 3HKO if Jasmine uses an Hyper Potion but as Azumarill is only 5HKOed by Iron Tail, it easily defeats it.

Pryce (32) : Curlout beats Pryce easily, 3HKOing Seel and OHKOing Dewgong and Piloswine. Even when disrupted, it's not a problem as Seel and Dewgong barely do damages. Piloswine is 2HKOed by Surf if needed. Easy win.

Rival (33) : Beats Sneasel and Haunter. Golbat is potentially beatable but it's only 3HKOed and Confuse Ray is going to be annoying.

Clair (38) : Azumarill only beats one Dragonair as it 4HKOes with Strength. Kingdra is unbeatable.

Rival (40) : Easily beats Sneasel and Golbat 2HKOing them with Surf. Kadabra is 2HKOed by Strength and Haunter is OHKOed by Surf if it uses Curse. Avoid the rest

Will (40) : Azumarill can only hope to defeat Xatu 1 as it 4HKOes with Psychic while getting 3HKOed but even then Confuse Ray is annoying. Xatu 2 3HKOes with Psychic and gets 3HKOed so it wins, like Jynx that can also put asleep. Exeggutor is 5HKOed by Strength and 3HKOes with Psychic. Slowbro 4HKOes with Psychic and gets at best 5HKOed. Pretty bad matchup.

Koga (40) : Can at best beat the 3 bugs, range to 2HKO Ariados and 3HKO Venomoth and Foretress. Even then, Supersonic from Venomoth is annoying and Explosion from Forretress does too much. Muk and Crobat are gonna win.

Bruno (41) : Only beats Hitmontop and Onix.

Karen (41) : Beats Houndoom 1v1, 2HKOing with Surf while being 3HKOed by Crunch. Won't do much outside of that as Surf doesn't even OHKO Gengar after Curse and 2 Crunch and 2 Faint Attack is gonna kill.

Lance (41) : Nop

Great matchup : Pryce
Good matchup : Morty
Okay matchup : Chuck, Jasmine, Koga, Bruno, Karen, Rival
Bad matchup : Clair, Will, Lance

Finding Marill was extremly easy but training hard could take a bit of time because it's really weak but being in the fast group largely makes up for it (it leveled up in like every major battle). It had great utilities as an HM Slave learning Surf, Waterfall (really hard to find a Pokemon that learns it), Whirlpool and Strength.

Hoothoot is a clear D-tier. It's really that weak even with STAB Return (3HKOing only Xatu with Return for instance) and didn't have many good matchup. Winning against Bugsy was great but it was its only perk in the whole run and wasn't worth outside of it. Whitney and gyms 5/6/7 were pretty bad as were Lance and Clair and most of the time outside of them, Noctowl only was passable at best. The Med Fast group is also terrible because (like Cubone) it required lots of experience and with base 50 Attack, it wasn't exactly easy. Outside of this, not much else to say, just an early mon bad most of the time and passable the rest of the time but as it's helpful and has its uses, D-tier looks fine for it.

Gengar is without a doubt A-tier. After Morty, it had amazing matchs, beating with ease gyms 5/6/7, the rival and Koga. Clair and Lance, probably the hardest fights in the game were amazing for Gengar. While it couldn't hope to defeat Clair by itself, it could take down the three Dragonair and at least weaken Kingdra, which is great considering how complicate she can be. Lance was really impressive as Gengar could easily defeat Gyarados, the three Dragonite and according to what you want kill either Aerodactyl or Charizard. The Elite 4 was also great, potentially beating Will, defeating Koga with ease and picking up 3 mons against Bruno and Karen. Even Morty was alright as Gengar had uses between Hypnosis and 2HKOing or 3HKOing. Beforewards, Gastly wasn't even bad as it could claim a win against Bugsy and Curse Sleep Miltank. Being in the Medium Slow group was an additionnal perk that helped a lot. Really Gengar was amazing, Ryota already said a lot about it and I recommend everyone using it, it was on par with Ursaring as one of the best things to use.

Cubone is D-rank. It was pretty bad most of the time but still had its use to avoid E-tier. Getting it wasn't that easy and cost a lot, it took away lots of experience due to being in the med fast group and relied on unaccurate moves (Bonemerang and Bone Club seem to miss nearly all the time lol). However, it was still useful at times, doing well against Morty and Jasmine most notably. Other matchup weren't as good but Marowak could at least put in work and at least ko one thing. It looks better on paper than in actual game but due to its flaws and not having many good matchup, it fits perfectly D-rank.

Azumarill is D-tier. It'a great HM Slave, just like Gyarados but not particularly helpful outside of it and beating Pryce. Morty and Chuck weren't reliable and it couldn't tale down more than 1 mon most of the time. The Elite 4 was particularly bad outside of Koga (which is rarely a problem anyway) ane it can defeat Houndoom 1v1. Really Marill was a way worse Gyarados that can't defeat many things. All in all this may need some more tests but I can't see it above D-rank, it's cool to have an HM Slave but it doesn,'t contribute enough in battles.

Next run is going to be Pidgey (expect C-tier), Bellsprout (expect C/D-tier), Psyduck (expect C-tier) and Nidoking (expect B/C-tier).

I’m sad to say that my previous computer has kicked the bucket so I’ll be having my previous run not count towards their tiering as it is incomplete. Moving on to my current run now: As stated, I am testing Totodile, Nidoking, Pidgey, and Caterpie.

Totodile (9 -> 11): Rage. Just Rage. Rage 3 finishes off Pidgey, Rage 4 puts Otto in a 3HKO range but if you get Rage 5 it’s a 2HKO

Butterfree (10): Harden +3 on Pidgey (+2 will not work). Confusion is a 2HKO on Pidgey while a 4HKO on Otto. You sweep.

Pidgey (10): You 2-3HKO Pidgey with Gust but hard lose to Otto without Heal Spam.

Pidgey (16 -> 17 w/Pink Bow) Gust 2HKOs the Cocoons and 3HKOs Scyther. Easy Sweep.

Totodile (15 -> 16 w/Pink Bow): Sweeps with Rage Spam. Metapod has to hit you a bunch with Tackle.

Butterfree (15 -> 16) Harden to 3 on Metapod. Confusion is a 3HKO. Scyther needs to be put to Sleep then Confusion Spam. This is around a 6-8HKO. I was lucky and got it confused. Kakuna is a 2HKO with Confusion. Sweeps.

Whitney:
Croconaw (19 w/Pink Bow): The only effective way to deal with this is Rage. You are dependent on Clefairy hitting you at least 4 times. 5 for best results (Double Slap). If you get the 4-5 range, Clefairy is 2HKO by Rage. Miltank is around a 3HKO (I Crit getting me a 2HKO). If you only get hit 3 times by Doubleslap, you will not sweep. For the purpose of RNG reliance, this is a mediocre MU.

Nidorino (19): Double Kick is a 3HKO (I am counting the individual hits from the move for ease of translation). Miltank will kill you with Rollout 3, while Double Kick is about a 8HKO (again, individual hits). You need Rollout to miss you.

Pidgeotto (19): Gust is a 2-3HKO on Clefairy. Miltank is an immediate loss due to Rollout.

Butterfree (18): For the purposes is this tiering, I am not using Nightmare at all. It’s an inefficient method. This MU is just straight terrible for Free. You put Clefairy to sleep and spam Harden until +6. Keep repeating till it dies. Confusion is a 4-5HKO. Then Miltank is just an auto loss. Doesn’t matter if you are +6. It will kill you on Rollout 3, not even gonna try to estimate the KO range

The levels that have an arrow are levels obtained mid fight. As for Croc, I did a test at Level 20 and all it does is decrease the KO range on Miltank by 1 to a 2HKO.

Ryota Mitarai Quite a good list of auto-E tiers, my one exception to it would be Natu. STAB Fly as well as a decently timed evolution let it deal with the second half of Johto okay and have it have meaningful E4 contributions (most notably resisting Will's Psychics while killing Exeggutor and safely 3HKOing Slowbro due to Night Shade). It very definitely cannot ever go higher than D due to Xatu still being fairly mediocre (lacking Psychic STAB until Kanto hurts) and needing a backtrack, but at least it's somewhat functional and doesn't belong in the same trash tier as Ditto, Ledian, Hoppip or Shuckle.
They can also use Sunny Day + Solarbeam to do decent damage, though Grass admittedly isn't the best type to throw at the E4, and a Fire or Grass-type might much prefer either or both TMs so it's not much of a selling point. Still interesting I guess.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Solar Beam comes so late that I don't see anything ever using it to a great extent (I mean, Will, Koga, Karen, and Lance mostly resist it, so...)

Nitpicks aside, did my run with Hoothoot / Machoke / Cubone / Cloyster. Zebes Marill is in D-tier due to a preliminary test that I did, so assume that (ok well, it's a fact, so no need to assume) that I also agree with D-tier. Unless someone wants to challenge D-tier, I think it will be staying in D-tier.

anyways, back to my run. Cubone doesn't assume Thick Club, because you cannot get it within the main game (as it appears only on wild ones, which are post-game). Machoke logs start from Chuck, since the previous matchups are the same.

Noctowl

Falkner(11): can't beat Pidgeotto, as Peck deals too little damage.

Bugsy(17): Peck 4HKOes Scyther, but its Quick Attack also 4HKOes Hoothoot. In most cases, the AI will derp and use Fury Cutter at some point (even if it used Leer), but you can technically lose here. At level 18, however, Peck becomes a 3HKO, seemingly, so you can secure the matchup that way

Silver(18/19): Peck 3HKOes everything, with Bayleef maybe being 4HKO. Anyways, Zubat is by far the only thing that can actually hit you hard, though Bayleef can be a slugfest due to Growl + Reflect

Whitney(20): beats only Clefairy by 3HKOing with PB Return. Miltank is 6HKOed, but quickly overwhelms you with Rollout, unless you get lucky with Hypnosis

Silver(22): PB Return 2HKOes Zubat. Peck muscles through Haunter and Bayleef. Avoid Magnemite

Morty(25): Peck 2HKOes Gastly and 3HKOes Haunter. Curse can be annoying, but you can beat all three of those thanks to the fact that Gengar comes in after Haunter #1 and thus you can switch out

Chuck(30): Peck beats Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath.

Jasmine(31): lol

Pryce(31): beats only Seel

Silver(33): PB Return 3HKOes Golbat and 2HKOes Sneasel. Peck 4HKOes Meganium, while Fly should 2HKO. Haunter Curses as it, which means you cannot beat the rest reliably

Clair(38): PB Return 2HKOes Dragonair. Super effective coverage 4HKOes Noctowl. Taking out two at best without healing

Silver(40): PB Return OHKOes Kadabra and 2HKOes Sneasel / Golbat. Peck 4HKOes Haunter and Meganium, so Fly should 2HKO them if there's no Reflect

Will(42): bad. Its only 2HKOs here are Jynx with PB Return and Exeggutor with Fly if it doesn't set up Reflect. Bad matchup

Koga(42): Fly 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth

Bruno(42): Peck is needed on Hitmontop due to Detect. Fly OHKOes Hitmonlee and 2HKOes Hitmonchan

Karen(42): Fly 2HKOes Vileplume

Whitney(20): Bone Club 3HKOes Clefairy and 5-6HKOes Miltank. Miltank can theoritically be beaten if it goes for Rollout turn one and you heal or use Dig when appropriate, but is not a reliable way of winning

Silver(22): Bone Club kills Haunter and Magnemite. Headbutt 3HKOes Zubat, though it is faster and can hax you

Morty(25): Bone Club 2HKOes Gengar and OHKOes the rest. However, everything outspeeds you, so prepare for some hax. Bonemerang OHKOes Gengar if you are willing to risk it

Chuck(30): Bonemerang 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath.

Jasmine(30): beats Magnemite. Bonemerang 3HKOes Steelix, but Iron Tail also 3HKOes. Jasmine healing it complicates the matchup even more

Pryce(31): Bonemerang OHKOes Seel and 2HKOes Dewgong. Piloswine finishes you off. Dewgong 3HKOes with Aurora Beam

Silver(33): Bone Club kills Haunter nd Magnemite, Bonemerang 2HKOes Sneasel, and Headbutt seems to 3-4HKO Golbat, which likes to hax you

Clair(38): Bonemerang 2HKOes Dragonair. However, hf dealing with super effective coverage

Silver(40): EQ OHKOess everything but Golbat and Meganium

Will(42): there isn't much you can do here, most of the team resists Ground and Jynx is an Ice-type, so...

Koga(42): EQ 2HKOes Muk, Ariados, and Venomoth

Bruno(42): EQ OHKOes Hitmontop while it's Digging and 2HKOes Hitmonchan / Hitmonlee. You need to heal to beat all three

Karen(42): EQ OHKOes Houndoom and Gengar.

Chuck(30): beats Prmeape. Karate Chop 5HKOes Poliwrath, so you are likely losing

Jasmine(30): beats Magnemite

Pryce(31): Karate Chop 2HKOes everything. You beat only Seel and Dewgong reliably. Piloswine has to miss with Blizzard twice in a row to lose.

Silver(33): beats Magnemite, Sneasel, and Haunter

Clair(38): Vital Throw 2HKOes Dragonair, which 4HKO with special moves. Taking out two at best without healing

Silver(40): EQ OHKOes Haunter, Magneton, and Kadabra, while Karate Chop OHKOes Sneasel

Will(42): nooooope

Koga(42): EQ 2HKOes Ariados and Muk

Bruno(42): pretty bad, you aren't taking out more than two threats here without healing

Karen(42): Vital Throw 2HKOes Umbreon. Didn't bother with the rest, as I doubt it's beating Houndoom

Silver(22): Surf 2HKOes Haunter and OHKOes Magnemite on rolls. Aurora Beam 2HKOes Bayleef, which doesn't attack turn one, and OHKOes Zubat

Morty(25): Surf 2HKOes Gengar and OHKOes the rest, with Gengar being the only one that is faster. Great matchup

Chuck(30): beats Primeape

Jasmine(30): MW Surf OHKOes Magnemite and 2HKOes Steelix, easy sweep

Pryce(31): MW Surf OHKOes Piloswine and 3HKOes Seel. Avoid Dewgong, unless you magically have some sort of strong coverage for it

Silver(32): MW Surf in rain OHKOes everything but Golbat (2HKO, even with Aurora Beam) and Meganium. Meganium can be beaten with Aurora (2HKO) if you can live a Razor Leaf. Haunter is faster and Curses

Clair(38): NMI Aurora Beam OHKOes Dragonair while outspeeding them. Cannot beat Kingdra due to it 2HKOing with Dragonbreath. Amazing matchup, nevertheless

Silver(40): Surf in rain OHKOes everything but Meganium and Golbat, which are 2HKOed and OHKOed by NMI Aurora Beam, respectively. Kadabra is faster and sets up Future Sight. Meganium goes for Reflect turn one, so you may be able to sweep.

Will(42): NMI Aurora Beam OHKOes Xatu #1 and 2HKOes Exeggutor and Xatu #2. You are beating only Xatu #1 and Exeggutor, as Psychic is a 2HKO. Furthermore, you need Xatu #1 to go for Confuse Ray and that you don't hit yourself in confusion

Koga(42): Surf in rain OHKOes Ariados and 2HKOes Forry and Venomoth. NMI Aurora Beam 2HKOes Crobat, which deals nothing with Wing Attack

Bruno(42): Surf in rain 2HKOes Hitmons, so prepare to take some super effective damage. Didn't test this thoroughly, since it doesn't look like a particularly great matchup

Karen(42): beats Murkrow (and Gengar, I guess?). Houndoom is faster and can nuke it with special moves, though never saw if Surf OHKOes or not. Vileplume kills it with Petal Dance since Aurora Beam can't OHKO

Lance(42): at this level, NMI Aurora Beam doesn't seem to be able to OHKO Dragonite at all, or it's just a roll. However, at level 43, it becomes an OHKO on lv. 47 Dragonite or the roll is higher. Lv. 50 one, however, can live an Aurora Beam from a level 43 Cloyster and almost OHKO it back with Outrage. Aero is almost OHKOed by Surf.

thoughts:

Hoothoot
D-tier. Hoothoot has some uses here and there, but its stats aren't exactly great and its movepool is pretty bad. You don't have Headbutt and instead need to go with the weaker in the beginning Return, while your Flying STABs are Peck and Fly only. There isn't much to say that isn't in my logs already, it's just not a great option

Cubone (C)
D-tier. Pretty much the same as Hoothoot. It doesn't have the stats to perform well. Its movepool is slightly better, but it still has some issues with physical coverage, or lack thereof. Not much to say that's not in my logs

Machop (No Trade)
Tentatively C-tier, though I could see it merge with Machamp. Both Machamp and Machoke are good for their main functions, which are to beat Whitney and to provide an answer to Umbreon, while leveling up quickly. Machamp can pick up a KO or two that Machoke cannot, but, for most parts, they are similar(ly bad).

Shellder (C)
Gonna go with C-tier here. It started out relatively good, as it was a typical good Water Pokemon and later on managed to kill all of Clair's Dragonair with no issues. However, it then decided to flop completely at the E4, where even Lance is a bit of an ehh matchup for it. Couple it with Slow growth rate and the need to backtrack to perform the DST trick, C-tier seems fair, though I considered B at the beginning

next team: Ekans / Dratini (GS) / Mankey / Seel

It’s worth noting that Muscle will always have a bad performance. Since it’s Female, it will always have an attack DV/IV lower than 8. In Muscle’s case, it’s 2. While I understand that the Whitney MU is great for it and trade XP is amazing, perhaps a test on a Wild one would provide a bit better results?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
My problem with Machamp specifically was moreso that its Speed and typing aren't that great in the long-run. Fighting is great for few key fights, but it's not really suitable for the E4, where Lance and two members outright resist it. Pre-Gen 3 Fighting is pretty sad, since only Hitmonlee ever had good STAB moves that didn't have some stupid drawback. Vital Throw is the closest to a good STAB move (which is vital (pun intended) for Umbreon) but the negative priority means that you won't really be able to spam it without taking unnecessary damage.

So yeah, the reason why I said B on Machamp isn't due to the Attack IV (it's three, by the way, not two), because Machamp is hitting hard enough. The problem is simply that Fighting isn't a great typing for the E4 and Machamp could be an idea faster in order to sweep more consistently when it doesn't have a type disadvantage (for example, Pryce is potentially not a sweep due to Icy Wind and Blizzard). It could be more relevant to Machoke due to its lower Attack, but for the most essential traits, they are the same. I don't think catching it later as a wild solves the issue.

anyways, did run with Ekans / Dratini (GS) / Mankey / Seel

Arbok

Bugsy(14-15): lol no

Silver(15): beats Gastly and Zubat. Bayleef can theoritically be muscle through with Poisonsting, but the chances are that it's Bayleef who will muscle through you

Whitney(21 / 22): even as an Arbok, the matchup isn't great. Headbutt doesn't deal a lot to Miltank and your only way of winning is if it spams Rollout and misses. By the way, Miltank is faster

Silver(22): Dig OHKOes Magnemite and puts Haunter in red. Headbutt spam covers the rest

Morty(25): Dig OHKOes everything but Gengar. You also outspeed Gastly and Haunter #1

Chuck(30): PBarb Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath, though both are faster kills if you get lucky poisons. Surf 3HKOes Arbok, but Arbok is faster

Jasmine(30): Dig kills Magnemite

Pryce(31): only Piloswine is an issue due to it living multiple Headbutts, though flinches can help here. You take out 2/3 with no problems and you achieve a sweep with a little luck

Silver(33): PBarb Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Sneasel and Meganium. Dig 2HKOes Haunter and OHKOes Magnemite. Golbat is 3HKOed by Headbutt

Clair(38): Pbarb Bomb 2HKOes Dragonair and 3HKOes Kingdra. Kingdra is slower and can be paralyzed by Glare for a teammate. Dragonair seems to 6HKO with Dragonbreath, so you are likely taking out two of them at best

Silver(40): PBarb Bomb OHKOes Sneasel and Kadabra and almost OHKOes Meganium. Golbat is 3HKOed by Headbutt and the rest is OHKOed by Dig

Will(41): no

Koga(41): EQ 2HKOes Muk

Bruno(41/42): PBarb SBomb 2HKOes the Hitmons. No issues there. You lose to the rest, obviously

Dragonair

Whitney(19 / 22): lol at level 19. At level 22, Dragon Rage 2HKOes both, but Miltank is faster and 3HKOes with Stomp (2HKO if you took a Double Slap from Clefairy). Gl reaching level 22 then sweeping

Silver(22): Dragon Rage 2HKOes everything. It's mostly a matter of hax if you sweep or no

Morty(25): Dragon Rage 2HKOes everything, so it's a matter of luck if you can sweep or no. Note that Spite makes this strategy less reliable

Chuck(30): Dragon Rage 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath

Jasmine(30): you need Fire Blast to win here

Pryce(30): beats only Seel

Silver(32): even with super effective coverage, your only OHKO here is Magnemite. Matchup is simply unreliable.

Clair(38): NMI Blizzard OHKOes Dragonair, if it hits

Silver(40): Fire Blast OHKOes Magneton and Sneasel. NMI Blizzard OHKOes Golbat and 2HKOes Meganium, Haunter, and Kadabra

Will(42): NMI Blizzard OHKOes Xatu and Exeggutor. Slowbro is 2HKOed by Thunder

Koga(42): Charcoal Fire Blast OHKOes Ariados and Forry and 2HKOes Venomoth. Crobat is 2HKOed by Thunder

Bruno(42): nope, special attacks are never good for Hitmons and Machamp

Karen(42): Blizzard OHKOes Murkrow and 2HKOes Vileplume

Lance(42): Thunder OHKOes Gyarados on rolls, which just sets up rain for you anyways. NMI Blizzard seems to OHKO Lv. 47 Dragonite, but both are faster and paralyze it, with the second one spamming Blizzard. Lv. 50 is faster and just kills you with Outrage. Without NMI, Blizzard looks like a roll only.

Primeape

Silver(22): Dig OHKOes Haunter and Magnemite and Zubat is 2HKOed by Headbutt.

Morty(25): Outspeeds and OHKOes everything but Gengar with Dig. Gengar is faster and is 2HKOed

Chuck(30): KChop 2HKOes Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath. Unlikely to sweep

Jasmine(30): Dig kills Magnemite

Pryce(31): 2HKOes everything with KChop and outspeeds even at -1. No problems here

Silver(33): Karate Chop OHKOes Sneasel and Dig covers Magnemite and Haunter

Clair(38): BBelt KChop 2HKOes Dragonair, which 4HKOes with special moves. Takes out two at best

Silver(40): BBelt KChop OHKOes Sneasel and Magneton. Dig OHKOes Haunter. Headbutt OHKOes Kadabra.

Koga(41): nope. Can't even 2HKO anything here. Muk spams Minimize while you Dig, Crobat and Venomoth are lol, Forry booms on you, and Ariados spams DTeam, though is 3HKOed by Headbutt

Bruno(41): KChop 2HKOes Hitmonlee and 3HKOes the rest. Against Hitmontop, always use Dig the turn after it uses Dig to avoid damage. You can beat all three Hitmons without healing, depending on luck

Karen(41): BBelt KChop 3HKOes Umbreon, with Dynamic Punch, in spite of its faulty accuracy, almost OHKOing.

Dewgong

Chuck(30): beats Primeape

Jasmine(30): can 1v1 Steelix. You need to override sun with your rain to make the matchup a secure one

Silver(34): MW Surf 2HKOes Haunter (OHKO with rain) and Sneasel and OHKOes Magnemite. NMI Aurora Beam 2HKOes the rest. Sweep is unlikely due to Curse, but possible

Clair(38): NMI Aurora Beam puts Dragonair in red. You are paralyzed, so it's hard to say how many you will take out, but assume around two on average

Silver(40): Surf in rain OHKOes Sneasel, Magneton, Haunter, and Kadabra. The rest is 2HKOed by NMI Aurora Beam

Will(41): NMI Aurora Beam 2HKOes Xatu and Exeggutor, but you will be worn down very easily, so you aren't doing much

Koga(42): best for 1v1ing Crobat. The rest aren't particularly notable matchups, as even in rain, MW Surf won't OHKO anything

Bruno(42): most Water-types struggle here, imagine Dewgong being any better with that Fighting weakness

Karen(42): can 1v1 Houndoom, which 3HKOes with Flamethrower

Lance(42): NMI Aurora Beam puts Dragonite in red. Yeah, needs lots of maintenance here to do something

thoughts:

Ekans
Ehhh, D-tier seems possible, but nothing higher than that. Ekans starts out incredibly bad, as Wrap is its only attacking move. It doesn't learn anything useful until Bite at level 15 and Headbutt and Dig through TMs, at which point it starts to become usable. However, getting to level 15 isn't gonna be easy, since you have to switch grind it due to how pathetically weak it is even against underleveled opponents. Anyways, it has some uses here and there, with Sludge Bomb and EQ assisting a lot in the end-game, while the former also serving me some use for the mid-game Gyms, but it's not a Pokemon I recommend ever using. Proposing D-tier, but I could live with E-tier too, it's not like I would ever tell anyone "hey, Ekans is worth using"

Dratini (GS)
Honestly, I want to say E-tier. First of all, it costs 2100 coins. This means you need 41k dollars if you want to buy it immediately. I myself am at 15K when I reach Goldenrod. If you fight all trainers (including on the next routes), never buy ABSOLUTELY anything, and sell everything you get, you can probably get one before Whitney, but how are you gonna train it for her? The only way to get those money and have some trainers left is to play on the slots (pro-tip: play on the rigged slot). Dragon Rage looks cool on paper, but post-Morty, it starts to miss out 2HKOs, so you might as well forget it after that. Did I mention that it's also in the Slow growth rate? Yeah, that thing drained out tons of Exp. due to coming underleveled. Finally, its movepool is pretty bad and you basically need GC TMs to ever KO stuff with it. Normally, I already sanction Pokemon for needing GC TMs immediately (and not, say, only for the E4, when you can reasonably afford one), but Dratini deserves a special mention here, because you already spent 41k dollars just getting it relatively quickly and effortlessly, so how are you going to buy TMs for it again?

All in all, it's simply too expensive to actually maintain. Its performance isn't even that great, given you rely heavily on your moves not missing. I think E-tier makes sense here, though maybe D-tier works if you are reaaallyyy generous to it. I think it's obvious, but this nomination assumes a Dragonair, since you aren't evolving Dragonair in any realistic manner before Kanto and I doubt you can even evolve it for Kanto efficiently anyways.

Mankey
Leaning towards C-tier. It is relatively useful for the mid-game Gyms, performing excellently against Morty and not being an outright deadweight against the next Gyms. It has some use against Silver. E4 performance flopped, but Karen's Umbreon can be put in red with Dynamic Punch. And yeah, that move is inaccurate as hell, but you need to land it only once, so I find it reasonable to use, not to mention I cannot think of anything that seriously wants Dynamic Punch, so TM contesting shouldn't be an issue. Could mayybee be D-tier, but at least it's better than the HGSS one, which had tons of issues.

Seel
Seel has a somewhat awkward availability, as it's locked behind Whirlpool. This means that, in order to not distort its performance negatively, you need to beat Team Rocket and Pryce first so that it can be used on Chuck and Jasmine. In general, Seel isn't exactly great before evolving, only being average at best for the two matchups it participates. Dewgong is disappointingly weak as well, as it cannot OHKO any Dragon with Aurora Beam and its E4 performance isn't anything spectacular either. D-tier due to awkward availability and all-around weakness, at least for now.

next team: Dunsparce / Aipom / Venomoth (C) / Horsea. Horsea has similar issues to Seel and it doesn't look great either. I will most likely use Kingdra and do a nomination for both formes, since their stats are very similar.

=Falkner=
Jigglypuff L11
Pound 3HKOs Pidgey(close to 2HKOing) and 4HKOs Pidgeotto
Set-up 1 Defense Curl to (almost)survived all hits (not needed if you have a Berry)
=Bugsy=
Jigglypuff L15-16
Pound 4HKOs Metapod and 3HKOs Kakuna(both are 5HKO'd after a Harden turn 1) and 6HKOs Scyther. Metapod speedties while Kakuna outspeeds. Jigglypuff has to land an inaccurate Sing against Scyther to win
=Rival 2=
Jigglypuff L17
Mud-Slap is close to 2HKOing Gastly
Pound 3HKOs Zubat and 5HKOs Quilava. Quilava 4HKOs back
=Whitney=
Jigglypuff L19
Set-up 1 Defense Curl
Rollout 3HKOs Clefairy, and 4th hit 1HKOs Miltank

Shaky matchup, Clefairy outspeeds and can chip it a lot to the point Miltank will almost always go for Stomp and potentially flinched it.
=Rival 3=
Jigglypuff L22
Fire Punch 2HKOs Haunter (after it uses Curse) and Magnemite
Headbutt 2HKOs Zubat and 3HKOs Quilava

=Morty=
Jigglypuff L24
Fire Punch 2HKOs Gastly(1HKOs after it uses Curse),3HKOs Haunter, and 6HKOs Gengar

Rollout 2HKOs Gastly and Haunter, and 5th hit 1HKOs Gengar
=Chuck=
Wigglytuff L30
Return 2HKOs Primeape and 3HKOs Poliwrath. Poliwrath outspeeds and 2HKOs back(1HKOs if chipped by Primeape)
Thunderpunch 3HKOs Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Wigglytuff L30
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite and 3HKOs Steelix(close to 2HKOing). Steelix 2HKOs back
=Pryce=
Wigglytuff L31
Pink Bow Return 2HKOs Seel and 3HKOs Dewgong(close to 2HKOing) and Piloswine
Fire Punch 2HKOs Piloswine
=Rival 4=
Wigglytuff L33
Pink Bow Return 2HKOs Golbat, Sneasel, and Quilava
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite and Haunter(after it uses Curse)
=Clair=
Wigglytuff L38
Return 2HKOs the Dragonairs and 3HKOs Kingdra.
=Rival 5=
Wigglytuff L39
Pink Bow Return 1HKOs Sneasel and Kadabra, 2HKOs Golbat and Typhlosion
Fire Punch 2HKOs Magneton and Haunter(1HKOs after it uses Curse)
=Will=
Wigglytuff L40
Pink Bow Return 2HKOs the Xatus,1HKOs Jynx and 3HKOs Exeggutor.
Fire Punch 2HKOs Exeggutor
Slowbro is 3HKOed by through Thunderpunch into 2 Return or Return into 2 Thunderpunch depending on if it uses Amnesia/Curse turn 1. Thunderpunch is a 3HKO without Amnesia boost
=Koga=
Wigglytuff L40
Return 2HKOs Ariados and Venomoth, and 3HKOs Muk and Crobat
Fire Punch 1HKOs Forretress
=Bruno=
Wigglytuff L41
Pink Bow Return 2HKOs the Hitmons
Ice Punch 1HKOs Onix
Machamp outspeeds and 1HKOs back.
=Karen=
Wigglytuff L41
Pink Bow Return 3HKOs Umbreon and Vileplume and 2HKOs Murkrow and Houndoom
Fire Punch 3HKOs Gengar after it uses Curse
=Lance=
Wigglytuff L42
Pink Bow Return 3HKOs Gyarados and the Dragonites, and 2HKOs Charizard
Nevermeltice Ice Punch 2HKOs the Dragonites and Aerodactyl
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Gyarados
I'm going for D Tier on this one. No attacking moves until getting Pound at level 9, and the worst thing is... that's its only attacking move until Headbutt, and that's the same point where you can catch a Jigglypuff in Crystal. Its slow and has to backtrack for Moon Stone. I initially thought it could used Return + 3 e-punch reliably, but it turns out Return is just enough on its own and Ice/Thunderpunch only hit very few specific targets, which are around in Elite 4. This makes me think if its better to merge Jigglypuff(C) and Jigglypuff(GS) together?
=Whitney=
Drowzee L19
Confusion 5HKOs Clefairy and appears to be a 8HKO on Miltank. Miltank 2HKOs back with Stomp
=Rival 3=
Drowzee L22
Confusion KOs Haunter after it uses Curse, 2HKOs Zubat, and 7HKOs Quilava(close to 6HKOing
Fire Punch 2HKOs Magnemite
=Morty=
Drowzee L24
Confusion 2HKOs Haunter and is close to 1HKOing Gastly(guaranteed KO after it uses Curse). Gengar 1HKOs back.
=Chuck=
Hypno L30
Confusion 2HKOs Primeape and 3HKOs Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Hypno L30
Charcoal Fire Punch 3HKOs Steelix and has a roll to 1HKO Magnemite. Steelix 2HKOs back.
=Pryce=
Hypno L31
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Seel and 3HKOs Dewgong
Charcoal Fire Punch 2HKOs Piloswine
=Rival 4=
Hypno L33
Confusion 2HKOs Golbat and Haunter(1HKOs after it uses Curse), and 4HKOs Quilava,
Charcoal Fire Punch 1HKOs Magnemite and 2HKOs Sneasel
=Clair=
Hypno L38
Ice Punch 2HKOs the Dragonairs and 5HKOs Kingdra.
=Rival 5=
Hypno L39
Fire Punch 2HKOs Sneasel and Magneton, and 3HKOs Kadabra
Confusion 2HKOs Golbat and Haunter and 5HKOs Typhlosion
=Will=
Hypno L40
Nevermeltice Ice Punch 2HKOs the Xatus and Exeggutor
Fire Punch 3HKOs Jynx
Thunderpunch 5HKOs Slowbro after it uses Amnesia turn 1
=Koga=
Hypno L40
Charcoal Fire Punch 2HKOs Ariados, Venomoth and 1HKOs Forretress
Confusion 4HKOs Muk and 3HKOs Crobat
=Bruno=
Hypno L41
Confusion 3HKOs the Hitmons and is close at 3HKOing Machamp
Nevermeltice Ice Punch 1HKOs Onix.
=Karen=
Hypno L41
Nevermeltice Ice Punch 6HKOs Umbreon, 3HKOs Vileplume, and 2HKOs Murkrow
Confusion 3HKOs Gengar
Thunderpunch appears to be a 6HKO on Houndoom. Houndoom 2HKOs back
=Lance=
Hypno L42
Thunderpunch 2HKOs Gyarados and 3HKOs Aerodactyl and Charizard
Nevermeltice Ice Punch 2HKOs the Dragonites
This is perfectly a C Tier. E-punches are great but, its stats are kinda average at best, and its stuck with STAB Confusion for the entire game because Psychic is late at Level 49. Its just a worse Abra.
=Bugsy=
Bite 3HKOs the cocoons and 9HKOs Scyther(close to 8HKOing)
Swift 7HKOs Scyther(close to 6HKOing). Scyther 3HKOs back with Quick Attack.

Not a good matchup. it has to rely on landing a Supersonic and hope for confusion to stop Fury Cutter, and it has to hope Scyther is not randomly going for Quick Attack.
=Rival 2=
Zubat L16
Bite 2HKOs Gastly, 5HKOs Zubat(close to 4HKOing), and seems to be a 8HKO on Quilava. Gastly speedties, and Quilava 3HKOs back
Swift 3HKOs Zubat and 6HKOs Quilava.
=Whitney=
Zubat L19
Bite 7HKOs Clefairy(close to 6HKOing)
Swift 5HKOs Clefairy(close to 4HKOing)
Miltank 2HKOs back while Zubat is barely doing anything against it

I grinded to Level 22 to see Golbat...
Swift 3HKOs Clefairy
Bite appears to be a 5HKO or 6HKO against Miltank
Still bad... Not only you have to get Zubat to Level 22 at this point, but it also had to rely on Confuse Ray and Bite flinch to beat Miltank.
=Rival 3=
Golbat L22
Bite 2HKOs Haunter
Swift 5HKOs Magnemite(close to 4HKOing), 2HKOs Zubat, and 4HKOs Quilava
=Morty=
Golbat L24
Bite 1HKOs Gastly, 2HKOs Haunter, and 3HKOs Gengar
=Chuck=
Golbat L30
Wing Attack 1HKOs Primeape and 2HKOs Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Golbat L30
Nope
=Pryce=
Golbat L31
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Seel and 3HKOs Dewgong and Piloswine
=Rival 4=
Golbat L33
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Haunter, Sneasel and Quilava and is close at 2HKOing Golbat
Return 3HKOs Magnemite
Union Cave Golbat outspeeds Sneasel.
=Clair=
Golbat L38
Wing Attack 2HKOs the Dragonairs and 4HKOs Kingdra
=Rival 5=
Crobat L39
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Sneasel and Haunter, has a roll to 2HKO Golbat, 1HKOs Kadabra and 3HKOs Typhlosion
Sharp Beak Fly 2HKOs Sneasel and Golbat, 1HKOs Haunter and Kadabra, and is close at 2HKOing Typhlosion.
Return 5HKOs Magneton
=Will=
Crobat L40
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Xatu, Jynx and Exeggutor and 4HKOs Slowbro(5HKOs after it uses Curse turn 2)
=Koga=
Crobat L40
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 5HKOs Forretress, 3HKOs Muk and Crobat, and has a roll to 1HKO Ariados and Venomoth.
=Bruno=
Crobat L41
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Hitmontop and Machamp and 1HKOs Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.
Bite 3HKOs Onix.
=Karen=
Crobat L41
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Murkrow and Vileplume and 3HKOs Gengar and Houndoom
Pink Bow Return 4HKOs Umbreon and is close to 2HKOing Houndoom
=Lance=
Crobat L42
Pink Bow Return 3HKOs Gyarados and Charizard, 4HKOs the L47 Dragonites, and 5HKOs L50 Dragonite
Crobat outspeeds Aerodactyl and 6HKOs with Bite. Aerodactyl 2HKOs back.
=Chuck=
Golbat L30
Wing Attack 1HKOs Primeape and 2HKOs Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Golbat L30
Nope
=Pryce=
Golbat L31
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Seel and 3HKOs Dewgong and Piloswine
=Rival 4=
Golbat L33
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Sneasel and Quilava and is close at 2HKOing Golbat. Sneasel outspeeds
Bite 5HKOs Magnemite. Magnemite 3HKOs back
=Clair=
Golbat L38
Wing Attack 2HKOs the Dragonairs and 4HKOs Kingdra
=Rival 5=
Golbat L39
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Sneasel and Haunter, 1HKOs Kadabra, 3HKOs Typhlosion and is close to 2HKOing Golbat
Bite 8HKOs Magneton.
Return 7HKOs Magneton.
=Will=
Golbat L40
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 3HKOs Xatu, 2HKOs Jynx and Exeggutor and appears to be a 4HKO on Slowbro
=Koga=
Golbat L40
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOs Ariados and Venomoth, 5HKOs Forretress, 4HKOs Muk, and is close at 3HKOing Crobat.
=Bruno=
Golbat L41
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 1HKOs Hitmonlee and 2HKOs Hitmontop, Hitmonchan and Machamp
Bite is close to 3HKOing Onix
=Karen=
Golbat L41
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 5HKOs Umbreon, 2HKOs Vileplume and Murkrow, and 3HKOs Gengar and Houndoom
=Lance=
Golbat L42
Sharp Beak Wing Attack 5HKOs the Dragonites, 4HKOs Charizard and is close at 3HKOing Gyarados
Aerodactyl is a no.
For some reason, the Golbats in Tohjo Falls are Level 22 instead of Level 24 in Silver? but anyway

Leech Life Zubat is horrendous until Level 12, and without some wild grinding, it struggles quite hard to get there before facing Falkner due to joining at Level 4 and having a Medium Fast level rate, so it's better off to catch a Union Cave Zubat instead if you want an early game Zubat, where it can immediately learn Swift TM for somewhat easier grinding. Even with Swift and Bite, there's still a brief period where its offenses still falls off by a decent amount until evolving into Golbat. Early Game Zubat also needs a haircut and some vitamins in order to get to Crobat much sooner. My Union Cave Zubat evolves into Crobat around after Clair. This is without haircut and vitamins and... yeah, that was not the "sooner" part that i'm expecting. Post-Morty Golbat is somewhat quite restrictive when it comes to catching it, specifically requiring to be caught on a Friend Ball and its kinda iffy between Golbat's 90 catch rate and Friend Ball's capture rate being same as a regular Pokeball. Even if Crobat only gets a minor offensive stat boost upon evolution(+10 Atk, +5 SpA), there's still some KO range that Golbat misses out on that Crobat achieves. I was initially going for D, but i think it has a shot at C Tier.

Jigglypuff(GS) - D
Drowzee - C
Zubat - C/D

I'm going for Crystal Run with Staryu, Vaporeon, Tentacruel, and Golduck next.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
did Dunsparce / Aipom / Venomoth (C) / Horsea. Horsea, I decided to use it as Kingdra, but my nomination will be for both Seadra and Kingdra. Run assumes you evolve after beating Clair, since that's when you get Waterfall and thus can get the Dragonscale from Mt. Mortar.

Dunsparce

Falkner(8): decided to try this underleveled for fun. But yeah, Rage spam wins here easily, even if not outleveling. They don't deal much damage either.

Bugsy(17): PB Rage spam wins here. I had only two Rages built up when I faced Scyther, which then proceeded to build up one more and cause a 3HKO. Then it attacked again and that caused a KO.

Silver(18): avoid Gastly. Spam PB Rage on Zubat and you are winning, unless you get haxed really hard here

Whitney(20): two options here. First one is spamming PB Rage. This depends a lot on Clefairy hitting you a few times with Doubleslap. Miltank is faster and seems 50/50 on choosing Rollout / Stomp. Option two is to set up a Defense Curl and click Rollout. This one will end the fight in four turns after clicking it, but Miltank can flinch you with Stomp, not to mention that it can miss.

Silver(22): PB Headbutt covers Zubat and Dig covers Haunter/Magnemite. Sweep isn't doable due to Curse

Morty(25): Curlout can sweep, but you are slower than everything, so don't bet on a consistent sweep

Chuck(31): PB Headbutt 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath

Jasmine(31): beats Magnemite with Dig

Pryce(32): Best way to sweep here is with Curlout. PB Headbutt can kill most of the things, but isn't much of a reliable sweep

Silver(33): Dig handles Haunter and Magnemite and PB Headbutt handles Sneasel and Golbat. Cannot sweep due to Curse

Clair(38): Curlout is your only way of killing all Dragonairs. Sweep isn't doable, obviously

Silver(40): Curlout with Hard Stone is your only way to sweep, albeit it's unlikely to do so.

Will(41): generally 3HKOed by Psychic and you are slower. You can try Spell Tag Shadow Ball, but you won't KO many things. Rollout is inconsistent here

Koga(42): Curlout can be used to sweep here. If you build it up on Forry, you can even OHKO Muk. Not consistent, but spamming Return here isn't a great option either

Bruno(42): Spam DCurl to the max on Hitmontop, which makes even Fighting moves 3HKOs at best. After this, spam Return on the Fighting-types and Rollout on Onix. One healing is needed to sweep. Critical hits are dngerous here and will ruin your sweep attempt.

Karen(42): beats Murkrow and Gengar

Whitney(20): Fury Cutter spam comes close to a victory here, but falls short of an OHKO. You spam it on Clefairy and when Miltank comes in, it is left in red. However, Miltank is faster and 3HKOes with Stomp, so you are unlikely to sweep, unfortunately.

Silver(22): beats Bayleef and Zubat

Morty(25): no

Chuck(31): PB Headbutt 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath. Primeape cannot OHKO you

Jasmine(32): no

Pryce(32): PB Headbutt 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes the rest. You are unlikely to sweep, but you beat 2/3 of his team

Silver(33): beats Golbat, Haunter, and Sneasel.

Clair(38): PB Headbutt 2HKOes Dragonair. At best, you take out two

Silver(40): beats Kadabra, Haunter, Golbat, and Sneasel. Meganium potentially as well if you are healhty enough

Will(42): Spell Tag Shadow Ball OHKOes Jynx and 2HKOes the rest at best. You won't be able to take out many due to Psychic 2HKOing at worst

Koga(42): PB Return 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth

Bruno(42): lol no

Karen(42): beats Murkrow and Gengar

Venomoth

Silver(22): beats everything but Magnemite

Morty(25): Confusion 3HKOes Gengar, OHKOes Gastly, and 2HKOes the rest. Matchup is pretty good, overall, though you are unlikely to sweep

Chuck(31): PBarb Bomb 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath. Surf is also a 3HKO. Sweep is doable, but dependent on Hypnosis not hitting

Jasmine(31): no

Pryce(32): beats Seel and Dewgong

Silver(33): beats Meganium and Haunter. Sneasel can be beaten if there's no Reflect

Clair(38): PBarb Bomb 2HKOes Dragonair. I managed to beat two only

Silver(40): beats Sneasel, Meganium, Haunter, and Kadabra. Golbat can be 2HKOed with Psybeam if you are fine with potential hax

Koga(41): beats Ariados and Venomoth. Muk can be muscled through with Psybeam, but evasion makes it a lengthy task

Bruno(41): Psybeam 3HKOes Hitmons. You won't be able to sweep whatsoever, unless you heal and take advantage of Swagger.

Karen(42): beats Vileplume. Also beats Gengar if you don't mind DBond / Curse

Kingdra

Chuck(31): beats Primeape

Jasmine(31): MW Surf has a low chance of OHKOing Magnemite. Steelix is put in red, then you can override sun with rain, then OHKO with Surf

Silver(34): MW Surf in rain OHKOes everything but Meganium

Clair(38): NMI Blizzard OHKOes Dragonair

Silver(40): set up rain and spam MW Surf. Everything dies to that bar Meganium. Kingdra has a better time taking on Meganium, but in both cases, you will need Blizzard to hit it hard

Will(41): writing off memory. MW Surf in rain OHKOes Xatu only, with Psychic being a 3HKO. You are taking out around two threats at best

Koga(42): MW Surf in rain 2HKOes Venomoth and OHKOes the other Bugs. The rest are annoying with evasion, so it's recommended to just skip them

Bruno(42): MW Surf in rain 2HKOes the Fighting-types. You are unlikely to sweep, but you can beat the Hitmons, in most cases

Karen(42): can 1v1 Houndoom if at full HP

Lance(42): outspeeds and OHKOes Dragonite with Blizzard. MW Surf in rain also OHKOes Charizard.

thought:

Dunsparce
Leaning towards D-tier, though C-tier *might* be possible. Dunsparce has some availability issues; either it's a 1% encounter rate or you need to do a massive backtrack for it; the way to obtain it with the backtrack is to get Hiker Anthony's number on Route 33 and then go to your mom to perform the DST trick and trigger his call. Anyways, early Rage is nice, but you have to forget it at some point, as it won't really hold on for long. Dunsparce's stats aren't exactly great, which forces you to rely heavily on DCurl + Rollout to actually sweep. This means that it's not a very reliable choice for sweeping in the long-run. It doesn't help that it's fairly slow, which opens it up for all sorts of hax, especially ones that can stop a Rollout sweep. Thus, gonna say D-tier due to availability and reliance on Curlout, though C-tier might be possible if people feel like D is too harsh on it.

Aipom
C-tier seems fair, but I wouldn't rule out D-tier either. I didn't use Screech like Kioskate, since I doubted that I'd need it or that there would be situations where I would need it for reliable victories. It levels up quickly and can be made quite useful upon capture, so it can be great right off the bat. However, Aipom never sweeps any fight reliably and its E4 performance was pretty abyssmal for me, never claiming more than two KOs there. That's why I am gonna suggest D-tier as a possible tier, though Aipom's low maintenance could maybe push it to C, albeit barely.

Venomoth (C)
D-tier. Its encounter rate at 5% is not really good and Venomoth isn't the best thing to use, but it has its uses. It's great for Morty and Sludge Bomb lets it have some usefulness against mid-game Gyms and rival fights. Its E4 performance was abyssmal, as it never OHKOed anything there and beat very few things.

The more interesting question is what do we do with Venonat (GS). You cannot obtain it as a Venomoth there, so you miss out on a great Morty matchup and are stuck with a Venonat until level 31. After this, they should be the same, but this could maybe knock Venonat to E-tier there, though the usefulness against the Rival could maybe keep it in D-tier, albeit on the lower end of it. I am not gonna bother testing Venonat (GS), because the performance should be the same starting level 31.

Horsea
I think Seadra and Kingdra should be the same tier and merged. Kingdra's better Special Defense allows it to claim a few KOs more than Seadra, but you need to make a massive backtrack to Mt. Mortar (massive because the dungeon is pretty big, I bet that most people don't know where to find it exactly) or you need to hunt it off a 2% chance. The differences between them are negligible for the backtrack, so you won't be getting a significant boost in performance if you go for an evolution.

Anyways, onto its performance. For Gyms 5-6, Horsea is slightly better than Seel due to being capable of OHKOing Jasmine's Magnemite, albeit unlikely. It can also be evolved into Seadra reaonably for that fight. Seadra is generally good for rival fights with rain, as it can OHKO many things with MW Surf in rain. E4 performance for Kingdra was a 50/50; it wasn't particularly great for Will or Karen, but it can do something against Lance with luck and get more than two KOs on the other members. C / D, leaning more towards D due to awkward availability, but this needs more testing, particularly as Seadra for the E4.

next team: Zubat / Paras / Pinsir / Farfetch'd.

Okay, finished a test on Pokemon Gold with Mareep, Wooper, Nidoran Male, and Girafarig.

Mareep: This thing is awesome. Never falters in any major battles until the very end (Karen really is about the only one it's not completely relevant in). Gets Thundershock fast enough, evolves in time for Bugsy and the rival, and gets the elemental punches and evolves again right when it needs to. Easiest A tier ever, honestly feel similar to Spearow in that I can see hints of S but I'm not gonna make an argument this time around and fully understand it just being a really good A, similar to HGSS Golem.

Wooper: Oh man, this thing. This is honestly all over the place. Wooper early on hits like a baby and isn't useful for either Bugsy or the rival because the offenses are just that absymal. Once it evolves and gets its moveset going, it's...alright? It's weird. While leagues better than what Wooper was doing, I never felt Quagsire was above B tier and it even felt like a C sometimes (average major battle performance, low Speed, bad earlygame being the main reasons). Struggles against both Whitney and Morty, meh for Chuck (Mind Reader underground DynamicPunch Poliwrath), Pryce (Attack drops from Dewgong off Aurora Beam suckkkkkkkk) and Clair, not particularly standout at the League aside from Bruno and Koga, EQ doesn't mean a whole lot at the League where it struggles with the Dragonites that more or less 2HKO with Hyper Beam, even with Ice Punch....

I think we need more tests on Wooper or even catching Quagsire after Surf. Feels like the definition of a borderline mon. Far from awful but also never exceeds your expectations. It's a shame. B / C borderline, leaning C.

Nidoran Male
: Picture Wooper, but with a slightly better earlygame (Horn Attack and Double Kick are alright, though it's bad for Whitney and Morty) and all elemental punches later, and that's basically it. Nidoking is competent in everything save Will, but similar to Quagsire, wasn't really standout. I can see B for this way more but C also seems feasible, with it not coming online as King till post Morty and the backtrack to Tohjo Falls being big reasons. Honestly I think Drowzee could be a better investment, and that's in C, so make of that what you will. I apologize for the mon comparisons here but I don't have much to say otherwise.

TLDR: Decent elemental puncher but if you really want one I think there are less annoying options to use. B / C borderline, leaning B.

Giarafarig
: It's really good for the midgame gyms aside from Jasmine and is decent for the League. 2HKOing consistently is pretty good though, as is the relatively low maintenance movepool. I can lean toward A but think it also feels borderline B (not the earliest thing out there, flops completely on Lance), I feel similar to Ryota. A tier, but only barely if I had to choose a side.

In case you couldn't tell: I think all my mons save Mareep could use more tests. Apologize for my fluctuating opinions here, my party was very hard to get concrete opinions on.

Last edited:
I’m playing a casual Crystal run and I found Dig Quagsire to trivialise the Whitney and Morty matchups.

Miltank couldn’t charge up Rollout’s power and Gengar got 2HKOd after missing Hypnosis.

I had given it Quick Claw for its speed issue though, so maybe it was more to do with that.

I’m playing a casual Crystal run and I found Dig Quagsire to trivialise the Whitney and Morty matchups.

Miltank couldn’t charge up Rollout’s power and Gengar got 2HKOd after missing Hypnosis.

I had given it Quick Claw for its speed issue though, so maybe it was more to do with that.
Mine kept getting stalled out by Milk Drink and status / Curse is awful for Quagsire. Not horrible but I wouldn’t call either favorable. This isn’t to say that your experience is invalid though! Any data helps.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
double post, but done with Zubat / Paras / Pinsir / Farfetch'd. Golbat evolved around the Rocket Tower, though I kind of went out of my way to evolve it, doubt it'd have changed much

Crobat

Falkner: no

Bugsy(17): it's possible to win, actually. Fury Cutter at max is only a 3HKO and it will take a while for it to build up. You can spam Pink Bow Swift and heal when needed. Not a reliable victory, though

Whitney(20): beats Clefairy

Silver(22): beats everything but Magnemite

Morty(25): Bite OHKOes Gastly, 3HKOes Gengar, and 2HKOes Haunter. Outspeeds all.

Chuck(30): Sharp Beak Wing Attack OHKOes Primeape and 2HKOes Poliwrath, good matchup

Pryce(31): Sharp Beak Wing Attack 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong. You won't sweep, but you beat those two if you don't get critted

Silver(32): SBeak Wing Attack 2HKOes Sneasel, Meganium, and Haunter. Fly can be used on Haunter to avoid Curse. Golbat is 3HKOed by Wing Attack

Clair(38): Wing Attack 2HKOes Dragonair, but Ice Beam and Thunderbolt will end your journey pretty quickly, along wth paralysis

Silver(40): beats everything but Magneton

Koga(41): beats the Bugs, assuming Forry doesn't explode. Muk seems to be 3HKOed by SBeak Wing Attack, though I never tested further for ranges

Bruno(42): SBeak Wing Attack OHKOes Hitmonlee and 2HKOes Machamp, while Fly OHKOes the other Hitmons. Great matchup

Karen(42): beats Murkrow, Gengar, and Vileplume

Parasect

Bugsy(13): lol no

Silver(13): Fury Cutter spam could maybe get past Bayleef, but I forgot to do this...

Whitney(20): Fury Cutter spam doesn't win here, as you cannot OHKO Miltank and it's faster and 2HKOes with Rollout. I probably should have been a lower level to build up more Fury Cutter but *shrug*

Silver(21): Dig OHKOes Haunter after Curse and Magnemite. Fury Cutter muscles through Bayleef

Morty(25): Dig 2HKOes Gengar and OHKOes the rest. However, you are slower than everything, so you aren't sweeping due to Curse.

Chuck(30): PBarb Sludge Bomb 2HKOes Primeape and 4HKOes Poliwrath. Put both of them to sleep. Against Poliwrath, use Spore immediately after the first successful one to counter the Full Heal. Dynamic Punch can be annoying

Jasmine(30): Dig beats Magnemite. Even with Spore, Steelix is inefficient to take on

Pryce(31): put Seel to sleep and spam Fury Cutter. You outspeed only Seel and you need Piloswine to miss Blizzard. Otherwise, though, you sweep here

Silver(33): Dig OHKOes Haunter and Magnemite, while Fury Cutter spam gets through Sneasel and Meganium

Clair(38): Fury Cutter can get through Dragonairs, but this involves putting the first one to sleep and not getting paralyzed. You are unlikely to beat all three, but it's possible.

Silver(40): can beat everything but Golbat. However, you cannot take them out all at once due to Curse. Best to just stick to Sneasel, Kadabra, Magneton, and Meganium

Will(42): bad matchup, you have a hard time getting past anything here and Spore is your only way of killing anything here

Koga(42): nope

Bruno(42): Spore + SBomb spam is, at this point, your only way of consistently taking out anything

Karen(42): stopped bothering

Pinsir

Whitney(19): Fury Cutter spam can sweep. 3HKOes Clefairy then 2HKOes Miltank. Miltank is faster, but in most cases, two Rollouts won't KO Pinsir. Not reliable, but possible

Silver(21): beats Bayleef and Zubat

Morty(25): now this is some new level of deadweight

Chuck(30): PB Strength 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath

Jasmine(30): lol no

Pryce(31): best way to sweep here is with Fury Cutter spam. PB Strength is also good, but isn't good for sweeping, as it will allow Pryce to weaken it and then KO it with Piloswine's Blizzard

Silver(32): PB Strength 2HKOes Sneasel and Golbat. Fury Cutter gets through Meganium, watch out for Body Slam paralysis

Clair(38): PB Strength 2HKOes Dragonair. You are taking out two at best

Silver(40): beats Sneasel, Golbat, Meganium, and Kadabra.

Will(43): SD twice and OHKO everything with PB Strength while outspeeding. Confuson can make setting up hard, though

Koga(43): SD to the max and spam PB Strength for the victory

Bruno(43): SD to the max and spam PB Strength for the victory

Karen(43): SD to the max on Murkrow and beat it, Vileplume, and Houndoom

Lance(43): you cannot really sweep here, as Zard and Aerodactyl beat it with no problems. In general, max Strength outspeeds and OHKOes the rest, but it will require lots of switching around and healing to beat those

Farfetch'd

Silver(21): beats everything but Magnemite

Morty(25): Sharp Beak Peck OHKOes everything after SDing to the max. You outspeed only Gastly, though.

Chuck(30): spam SD to the max and OHKO both with Headbutt. Poliwrath seems to be outsped. Keep in mind that Primeape may be able to beat you. Poliwrath can live attacks that are not +6.

Jasmine(30): haha no

Pryce(31): SD twice and set up one Agility. Seel won't be able to KO you without crits. After setting up, you outspeed and OHKO everything with PB Headbutt

Silver(33): the best way to destroy the fight is to SD to the max and then to set up one Agility and OHKO everything. Sneasel is the best Pokemon to perform this on, as Golbat haxes you way too much.

Clair(38): you need to SD to the max, set up one Agility and heal off any paralysis. Dragonair #1 4HKOes you. It is possible to sweep with just one healing, but it's unlikely

Silver(40): SD to the max, Agility, then spam PB Return or Fly to OHKO everything

Will(41): +2 PB Return OHKOes Xatu and Jynx. Slowbro then finishes you off. Gl setting up, as you are 2HKOed by Psychic and confused as well

Koga(42): SD to the max, Agility once, then spam PB Return. Explosion is about your only issue here

Bruno(42): sweeping is not possible due to Onix. Beat Hitmontop, then switch in on Hitmonchan, SD once, Agility once, then OHKO Machamp with Fly and Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee with Return

Karen(43): best way to do something here is set up on Murkrow with two SDs and one Agility, though you will have to heal at least once. Then OHKO everything that's not dead with appropriate move

Lance(43): nope, too weak and frail to set up

thoughts:

Zubat
I think this is moreso C-tier rather than D-tier. You can catch it at the Union Cave, like Roldski mentioned, and skip the Leech Life period by teching it Swift. Golbat and Crobat are useful in a number of fights, including Chuck, Koga, Bruno, and rival fights. Bruno is notable due to the fact I rarely beat Machamp and all Hitmons with one Pokemon. Karen wasn't a bad matchup either with 3 KOs there. All in all, I think C-tier is better for it (nothing higher, though), but I can see D-tier as well

e: Morty is a good matchup too, forgot to mention

Paras
D-tier, albeit barely. I caught mine at Ilex Forest, but it's probably better to get it off the National Park contest, because the Ilex Forest one is awful early on. In general, Paras has some usefulness with Spore and taking out some threats, but it's really bad all-around and isn't efficient either. D-tier and nothing higher. Worth mentioning you can hold off evolving for one level to get Spore earlier, but it's not necessary.

Pinsir
Kind of wanna say D-tier on it, but C-tier might be more fair to it. In general, Pinsir is unimpressive before SD, having two matchups where it's incredibly bad and the other matchups not being exactly great either. It's reliant on Fury Cutter to sweep Whitney and Pryce as well. Its E4 performance is okay, but it has to spam SD to the max to sweep and that may not work against Will and you cannot sweep Lance either. So D / C, leaning towards D myself. Note that it is also hard to obtain due to catch rate + rarity + National Park contest and levels up slowly. More tests on this would be good. Note: level 43 might be hard to get to as well, I needed to pop in a few Rare Candies to reach that level.

Farfetch'd
Wanna say D-tier on it. In general, it can techncally beat a lot of opponents, even the tougher ones, but it has to set up like a madman and that means you are open to hax and this takes some time + healing resources to keep it healthy. Even then, you cannot sweep every opponent this way, as shown against Will, Bruno, and Lance. Could be C-tier maybe, but the amount of setup needed to sweep anything is unbelievable.

next team: Hoppip / Heracross / Sudowoodo / Corsola. I have started to run out of things to test, so may test things like Ledyba / Spinarak / Weedle and then the post-Pryce stuff.

Last edited:
Gonna put here what they have in common: they are good with immediate Surf and being able to learn Ice moves can be good, especially against Lance's Dragonites
=Rival 3=
Starmie L22-23
Surf 1HKOs Magnemite and Zubat, 2HKOs Haunter and 4HKOs Croconaw(close to 3HKOing)
=Morty=
Starmie L24
Surf 2HKOs Gengar and 1HKOs the rest. Starmie outspeeds Gengar and can survive a Shadow Ball, but Gengar often goes for Hypnosis
=Chuck=
Starmie L30
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Primeape and has a roll to 4HKO Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Starmie L30
MysticWater Surf 1HKOs all
=Pryce=
Starmie L31
MysticWater Surf 3HKOs Seel, 4HKOs Dewgong and 1HKOs Piloswine.
=Rival 4=
Starmie L32-33
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Golbat and Sneasel, and 1HKOs Haunter and Magnemite, and 4HKOs Feraligatr
=Clair=
Starmie L38
Icy Wind 2HKOs the Dragonairs and 5HKOs Kingdra
Thunder 3HKOs Kingdra
=Rival 5=
Starmie L39
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Golbat, 1HKOs Haunter, Magneton and Kadabra, 4HKOs Feraligatr and is close at 1HKOing Sneasel
Thunder 2HKOs Feraligatr
=Will=
Starmie L40
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs the Xatus and Jynx
Icy Wind 2HKOs Exeggutor
Thunder 2HKOs Slowbro and 1HKOs the Xatus
=Koga=
Starmie L40
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Ariados, Venomoth and Forretress, 3HKOs Muk and has a roll to 2HKO Crobat.
Thunder 2HKOs Crobat
=Bruno=
Starmie L41
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs the Hitmons, 1HKOs Onix, and 3HKOs Machamp
=Karen=
Starmie L41
MysticWater Surf 3HKOs Umbreon, 2HKOs Gengar, and is close at 1HKOing Murkrow and Houndoom
Icy Wind 3HKOs Vileplume
=Lance=
Starmie L42
Thunder 1HKOs Gyarados
Icy Wind 2HKOs the Dragonites
MysticWater Surf 1HKOs Aerodactyl and and has a roll to 1HKO Charizard(needs a MysticWater to 1HKO Aerodactyl)
This is a solid B Tier. Its problems are the backtrack to get this and the Water Stone. Recover is nice to have sometimes.
=Rival 3=
Vaporeon L22-23
Surf 2HKOs Haunter(1HKOs after it uses Curse), 1HKOs Magnemite and Zubat, and 4HKOs Croconaw(close to 3HKOing)
=Morty=
Vaporeon L24
Surf 2HKOs Gengar and 1HKOs the rest.
=Chuck=
Vaporeon L30
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Primeape and has a roll to 4HKO Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Vaporeon L30
=Pryce=
Vaporeon L31
MysticWater Surf 3HKOs Seel, 4HKOs Dewgong and 1HKOs Piloswine.
=Rival 4=
Vaporeon L32-33
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Golbat and Sneasel, and 1HKOs Haunter and Magnemite, and 4HKOs Feraligatr
=Clair=
Vaporeon L38
Aurora Beam 2HKOs the Dragonairs and 5HKOs Kingdra
=Rival 5=
Vaporeon L39
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Golbat, 1HKOs Haunter, Magneton and Kadabra, 4HKOs Feraligatr and is close at 1HKOing Sneasel
=Will=
Vaporeon L40
Aurora Beam 2HKOs Exeggutor
Bite 3HKOs Slowbro(4HKOs if it uses Amnesia turn 1)
=Koga=
Vaporeon L40
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Ariados, Venomoth, Forretress and Crobat, and 3HKOs Muk
=Bruno=
Vaporeon L41
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs the Hitmons, 1HKOs Onix, and 3HKOs Machamp
=Karen=
Vaporeon L41
MysticWater Surf 3HKOs Umbreon, 2HKOs Gengar, and is close at 1HKOing Murkrow and Houndoom
Aurora Beam 2HKOs Vileplume
=Lance=
Vaporeon L42
Bite 7HKOs Gyarados(close to 6HKOing)
Aurora Beam 2HKOs the Dragonites
MysticWater Surf 1HKOs Aerodactyl and and has a roll to 1HKO Charizard(needs a MysticWater to 1HKO Aerodactyl)
This can go for B Tier. The backtrack can be a bit annoying, but its otherwise solid overall, though its kinda slow sometimes.
=Chuck=
Tentacruel L30
Sludge Bomb 2HKOs Primeape and 3HKOs Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Tentacruel L30
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Steelix and has a low chance of 1HKOing Magnemite
=Pryce=
Tentacruel L31
Sludge Bomb 2HKOs Seel and 3HKOs Dewgong(2HKOs if poisoned)
MysticWater Surf 1HKOs Piloswine
=Rival 4=
Tentacruel L32-33
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Golbat and Sneasel, and 1HKOs Haunter and Magnemite
Sludge Bomb 4HKOs Feraligatr(3HKOs if poisoned on 1st/2nd hit)
=Clair=
Tentacruel L38
Sludge Bomb 2HKOs the Dragonairs and 4HKOs Kingdra(3HKOs if poisoned)
=Rival 5=
Tentacruel L39
Mystic Water Surf 2HKOs Sneasel, Golbat and Magneton, and 1HKOs Haunter
Sludge Bomb 1HKOs Kadabra and 4HKOs Feraligatr(3HKOs if poisoned)
=Will=
Tentacruel L40
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs the Xatus
Sludge Bomb 2HKOs Jynx and Exeggutor and 4HKOs Slowbro.
=Koga=
Tentacruel L40
MysticWater Surf 2HKOs Ariados, Venomoth and Forretress, and 3HKOs Muk and Crobat
=Bruno=
Tentacruel L41
Set-up Barrier against Dig Hitmontop
Sludge Bomb 3HKOs Hitmontop and Hitmonchan(both are 2HKOed if poisoned on first hit) and 2HKOs Hitmonlee
Surf 1HKOs Onix and 3HKOs Machamp
=Karen=
Tentacruel L42
MysticWater Surf 4HKOs Umbreon, and 2HKOs Gengar, Murkrow and Houndoom
Sludge Bomb/Icy Wind 3HKOs Vileplume
=Lance=
Tentacruel L42
Sludge Bomb 4HKOs Gyarados(3HKOs if poisoned)
Icy Wind 2HKOs L47 Dragonites and is close at 2HKOing L50 Dragonite
Surf 2HKOs Charizard and Aerodactyl
I'm going for C Tier on this one for now, but i think it has some semblance of a B Tier? STAB Sludge Bomb can be nice to have sometimes, but otherwise its just a generic Water.
=Chuck=
Golduck L30
Surf 2HKOs Primeape
Confusion 3HKOs Poliwrath
=Jasmine=
Golduck L30
=Pryce=
Golduck L31
Strength 2HKOs Seel and 3HKOs Dewgong
MysticWater Surf 1HKOs Piloswine.
=Rival 4=
Golduck L32-33
Strength is close to 5HKOing Feraligatr
=Clair=
Golduck L38
Ice Punch 2HKOs the Dragonair and 5HKOs Kingdra
=Rival 5=
Golduck L39
MysticWater Surf 1HKOs Haunter, 2HKOs Golbat, 4HKOs Feraligatr and is close to 1HKOing Sneasel, Magneton and Kadabra.
=Will=
Golduck L40
Ice Punch 2HKOs Exeggutor
Strength 6HKOs Slowbro without Curse boost
=Koga=
Golduck L40
Surf 2HKOs Ariados, Venomoth and Forretress, and 3HKOs Muk
Nevermeltice Ice Punch 2HKOs Crobat
=Bruno=
Golduck L41
MysticWater Surf 3HKOs Machamp, 1HKOs Onix, and has a roll to 2HKO the Hitmons.
=Karen=
Golduck L41
Ice Punch 2HKOs Vileplume.
=Lance=
Golduck L42
Strength 4HKOs Gyarados
Ice Punch 2HKOs the Dragonites
I'm going for B Tier on this one. Psyduck is weak until Surf and evolves a bit late at Level 33, so its better off to catch a Golduck at Route 35 instead. Route 35 Golduck differentiate itself to other Mid-game Waters by having a Medium Fast level rate compare to Slow level rate that others have (Staryu, Tentacruel, Chinchou, Shellder, Mantine, Lapras).

Staryu(C) - B
Eevee(Vaporeon)(C) - B
Tentacool - C
Psyduck - B

I'm gonna do another Crystal Run with Wooper, Qwilfish, Chinchou and Lapras next. This next run will be my last run and i'm going on a break from doing logs for a couple of weeks, i'm still going to stay here around and do as much help as i can. I would still continue doing a few logs after a break.

Finished my run, I used both nidos to compare them (and they are incredibly similar tbh and just deserve the same tier). It wasn't hard to grind as they are in the mid slow group

Falkner (12/13) : Gust 3HKOes Pidgey and is a range for the 3HKO on Pidgeotto but as Pidgey outspeeds so it's a solid win.

Bugsy (18/19) : 2HKO Metapod and outspeed after String Shot and OHKO Kakuna with Gust. Scyther was 2HKOed and couldn't do much. Easy win

Rival (19) : 2HKO Gastly with Gust and 3HKO Zubat and Bayleef with it. Solid win as outside of confusion it should be a win.

Whitney (21) : Clefairy is 3HKOed by Quick Attack. Miltank is like 8HKOed and Rollout does way too much

Rival (22) : Haunter is 2HKOed by Gust after Curse. Avoid Magnemite. Bayleef and Zubat are 3HKOed by Gust so beating 3 mons is feasible

Morty (25) : Outspeed and 2HKO Gastly (OHKOes if it uses Curse). Both Haunter outspeed and are 3HKOed. Gengar is only 5HKOed and is most likely going to win with Dream Eater.

Chuck (30) : Outspeed and 2HKO Primeape with Gust. Poliwrath is a 3HKO. As Pidgeotto is 2HKOed by Dynamic Punch (even after Leer from Primeape), assuming a miss and not hitting itself in confusion, it can be a win even though it's not reliable.

Jasmine (31) : Nop

Pryce (31) : It can only beat Seel by 2HKOing it. Dewgong outspeeds after the speed drop and 2HKOes with Aurora Beam while getting 3HKOed in exchange. Piloswine OHKOes with Blizzard.

Rival (32) : Only beats Meganium and Sneasel, 2HKOed by Fly and Return respectively. Magnemite is hard to get past and Fly doesn't OHKO Haunter after Curse. Golbat outspeeds and can troll with Confuse Ray.

Clair (38) : Pidgey can hope to take down either 3 Dragonair if lucky with paralysis, 2HKOing with Return + Quick Attack while taking Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. Otherwise, it can beat Kingdra 1v1 as Pidgey outspeeds Kingdra, Return+Quick Attack+Return 3HKOes while not putting it in Hyper Potion range and SUrf doesn't actually 2HKO. Pretty good as it's Clair and beating Kingdra 1v1 one is always great (or 3 Dragonair with luck but that's less consistent).

Rival (40) : Outspeed and OHKO Sneasel. Flee Magneton. OHKO Kadabra with Return. 2HKO Meganium and Haunter with Fly and Golbat with Return.

Will (40/41) : Pidgey outspeeds everything and 2HKOes Xatu with Return, OHKOes Jynx with Return, 2HKOes Exeggutor with Wing Attack and 3HKOes Slowbro. Slowbro is a bit tricky due to Curse but Pidgey should beat both Xatu and Jynx as 2 Psychic and Quick Attack doesn't kill. Alternatively, it can beat Jynx and Exeggutor if needed.

Koga (41/42) : Ariados is 2HKOed by Wing Attack. Flee Forretress. Venomoth is OHKOed by Fly. Muk is a range for the 2HKO by PB Return and Crobat is 2HKOed by it. Watch out for evasion but great matchup outside of Forretress.

Bruno (42) : Sharp Beak Wing Attack + Quick Attack 2HKOes Hitmontop. Fly OHKOes Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee. Wing Attack 2HKOes Machamp while not activating Hyper Potion range. As such, Pidgey can beat everything but Onix because it can take Quick Attack + Rock Slide from Machamp. Really great matchup especially since Onix is really easy to take down.

Karen (42/43) : Return 3HKOes Umbreon. Vileplume is 2HKOed by Wing Attack. Gengar is 2HKOed by Fly even after Curse and goes for Destiny Bond so avoid this if you wish to fight Houndoom and Murkrow. Houndoom is outsped and 2HKOed by Return. Murkrow is outsped and OHKOed by Return. Pretty solid as it 3HKOes the annoying Umbreon without too much unluck and can either take down Vileplume + Gengar or Houndoom+Murkrow.

Lance (43) : Outspeed and 2HKO Gyarados (almost always goes for Rain Dance) and Charizard (takes confortably a Flamethrower). It can also hope to take down a lvl 47 Dragonite, 3HKOing with 2 Return and Quick Attack.

Falkner (11) : Only beats Pidgey, 4HKOing it. Pidgeotto is like 7HKOed and nearly 2HKOes with Gust.

Bugsy (17) : Bad matchup as expected, it will only beat the cocoons thanks to Growth. It's possible to use Sleep Powder and Growth to setup and then trying to beat Scyther thanks to Sleep, Vine Whip and Wrap but it's way too unreliable.

Rival (17) : It's possible to beat either Bayleef 1v1 with Sleep Powder and Growth but it's going to take forever. Zubat and Gastly will be too hard to get past due to Hypnosis, Lick paralysing and Supersonic.

Whitney (21) : Tried this both as Weepingbell and Victreebel :

- Weepingbell : Bad matchup. It's possible to try to use Sleep Powder and 2 Growth to 2HKO Clefairy and 3HKO Miltank, while trying to put them asleep but it's definitely not reliable.

- Victreebel : Same as above really. You can try the same strategy while only needing a Growth, the problem is that Miltank does way too much with Stomp and Sleep Powder in unaccurate.

Rival (22) : Haunter takes nothing and has Curse, Magnemite can paralyse and has Sonic Boom and Zubat is too much. Sleep Powder+Growth can win against Bayleef but it takes too many boosts.

Morty (25) : nop

Chuck (30) : First good matchup. Primeape outspeeds (might be my DVs) but does nothing anyway and gets 2HKOed. Poliwrath can't really do much and is 2HKOed. Easy win as you easily take hits and 2HKO each mon.

Jasmine (31) : Nop, Magnemite are going to paralyse. Steelix 2HKOes with Iron Tail and it takes 3 Growth to 2HKO it.

Pryce (31) : OHKO Seel and 2HKO Dewgong with Sludge Bomb, while taking Aurora Beam. Piloswine is 3HKOed by Vine Whip and Blizzard does way too much so except with sleep luck, Victreebel with only beat Seel and Dewgong.

Rival (33) : Only beats Sneasel and Meganium, both 2HKOed.

Clair (38) : 2HKOes Dragonair so can take the first one and the one without Ice Beam. Otherwise, it's possible to 1v1 Kingdra as it can't OHKO with Hyper Beam and Sludge Bomb is a range for the 2HKO (pretty nice considering the poison chance).

Rival (40) : Beats Sneasel, Meganium and Kadabra, all OHKOed by Sludge Bomb while not doing much back.

Will (40) : Beats Exeggutor, OHKOing with Poison Barb Sludge Bomb. The rest outspeeds, except for Slowbro that is only 3HKOed by Vine Whip and OHKOes with Psychic and OHKOes.

Koga (40) : Nop

Bruno (40) : Hitmonchan and Hitmontop are 2HKOed by Sludge Bomb, Hitmonlee is OHKOed and Onix is obviously OHKOed by Vine Whip. Strong matchup as it outspeeds Hitmonchan, Hitmontop and Onix takes their hits confortably to the point it beats 4 mons. Machamp is hard to beat 1v1 as it 3HKOes with Rock Slide, while getting 3HKOed by Sludge Bomb while having an Hyper Potion.

Karen (41) : Beats Vileplume and Murkrow easily, both 2HKOed while taking 2 Faint Attack and Petal Dance easily. Sludge Bomb only 3HKOes Umbreon.

Lance (41) : Beats Gyarados, 2HKOing with Sludge Bomb while taking Hyper Beam. Dragonite are 3HKOed and do way too much (Blizzard OHKOes for instance).

Whitney (21) : Clefairy is outsped and 2HKOed by Double Kick. Miltank is 3HKO but (barring low rolls and not being hit by Clefairy) 3HKOes back with Rollout or Stomp.

Rival (22) : Beats Magnemite by 2HKOing with Double Kick. Zubat is too much problem with confusion. It's possible to beat Bayleef but it takes forever.

Morty (25) : Nop

Chuck (30) : 3HKO both with Thunder Punch but Poliwrath 2HKOes with Surf.

Jasmine (30) : OHKO Magnemite with Fire Punch and 2HKO Steelix with Mystic Water, easily taking an Iron Tail. Clear win

Pryce (32) : 2HKO Seel with Thunder Punch, Dewgong is a 3HKO and is still outsped but it 2HKOes with Aurora Beam. Piloswine is 2HKOed by Fire Punch and Nidoking can take a Blizzard. Only beats one mon and that's it as even Icy Wind from Seel put it in Blizzard range.

Rival (32) : 2HKO Golbat, Sneasel outspeeds but doesn't do much and is 2HKOed anyway. Magnemite and Haunter are OHKOed by Fire Punch and Shadow Ball respectively. Meganium is a 3HKO with Fire Punch. Nidoking should beat the rival here

Clair (38) : 2HKO Dragonair with Ice Punch. Can at most beat two as it can't take Ice Beam, Surf and Dragon Breath. Kingdra is too much tho.

Rival (40) : Outspeed and OHKO Sneasel, Magneton, Haunter and Kadabra with Earthquake, 2HKO Golbat with Ice Punch, 2HKO Meganium with NeverMeltIce Ice Punch.

Will (40) : It only beats Xatu that doesn't OHKO with Psychic and is outsped and 2HKOed by Ice Punch. Jynx is outsped and OHKOed by Earthquake. Exeggutor OHKOes with Psychic and Slowbro 2HKOes but is only 3HKOed by ThunderPunch.

Koga (40) : 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth with Fire Punch or Earthquake. OHKO Foretress with Fire Punch. OHKO Muk with Earthquake. 3HKO Crobat. Great matchup, just watch for evasion on Crobat and that should be a clear win.

Bruno (41) : Earthquake kills Hitmontop when it uses Dig. Ice Punch OHKOes Onix. 2HKO Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee. Machamp is too much as it 3HKOes with Cross Chop while getting 3HKOed and having Hyper Potion.

Karen (41) : Umbreon is 3HKOed. Vileplume is 2HKOed by Earthquake. Gengar and Houndoom are OHKOed by Earthquake. Murkrow is 2HKOed by Ice Punch. Sadly, Nidoking can't take a Flamethrower and a Faint Attack from Murkrow so at best, it can hope to beat Umbreon, Gengar and Houndoom or Umbreon, Gengar and Vileplume.

Lance (42) : Outspeed and 2HKO Gyarados with Thunder Punch. Can't beat Charizard as it outspeeds and 2HKOes with Flamethrower. Blizzard from Dragonite OHKOes. It can hope to defeat another Dragonite assuming it didn't get hit by Surf from Gyarados as it outspeeds and 2HKOes with Ice Punch. Aerodactyl is 2HKOed by Surf and can't 2HKO so it's also beatable 1v1.

Whitney (21) : Clefairy is outsped and 2HKOed by Double Kick. Miltank is 4HKOed but 4HKOes back with Rollout or Stomp.

Rival (22) : Beats Magnemite by 2HKOing with Double Kick. Zubat is too much problem with confusion. It's possible to beat Bayleef but it takes forever.

Morty (25) : Nop

Chuck (30) : 3HKO both with Thunder Punch but Poliwrath 2HKOes with Surf.

Jasmine (30) : OHKO Magnemite with Fire Punch and 2HKO Steelix with Mystic Water, easily taking an Iron Tail (even after a crit). Clear win

Pryce (32) : 2HKO Seel with Thunder Punch, Dewgong is a 3HKO but outspeeds after the speed drop and and 3HKOes with Aurora Beam. Piloswine is 2HKOed by Fire Punch and Nidoqueen can take a Blizzard and outspeed even after Icy Wind. Only beats one mon and that's it as even Icy Wind from Seel put it in Blizzard range.

Rival (33) : Outspeed and 2HKO Golbat, Sneasel outspeeds but doesn't do much and is 2HKOed anyway. Magnemite is OHKOed by Fire Punch. Haunter outspeeds but goes fo Curse anyway and Shadow Ball koes it. Meganium is a 3HKO with Fire Punch. Worse than Nidoking here due to Curse.

Clair (38) : 2HKO Dragonair with Ice Punch. Can beat 3 Dragonair as it can take Ice Beam, Surf and Dragon Breath. Kingdra is too much tho.

Rival (40) : Sneasel outspeeds and does nothing and gets OHKOed. Magneton, Haunter and Kadabra are OHKOed by Earthquake, 2HKO Golbat with Ice Punch, 2HKO Meganium with NeverMeltIce Ice Punch. Shoudn't have any trouble here.

Will (40) : It can beat either Exeggutor, that doesn't OHKO with Psychic or Jynx.

Koga (40) : 2HKOes Ariados and Venomoth with Fire Punch or Earthquake. OHKO Foretress with Fire Punch. OHKO Muk with Earthquake. 3HKO Crobat. Great matchup, just watch for evasion on Crobat and that should be a clear win.

Bruno (41) : Earthquake kills Hitmontop when it uses Dig. Ice Punch OHKOes Onix. 2HKO Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee. Machamp is too much as by this time, it will 3HKO with Cross Chop while getting 3HKOed and having Hyper Potion. Unlike Nidoking, Nidoqueen can actually beat Machamp 1v1 as

Karen (41) : Umbreon is 3HKOed. Vileplume is 2HKOed by Earthquake. Gengar and Houndoom are OHKOed by Earthquake. Murkrow is 2HKOed by Ice Punch. Unlike Nidoking, Nidoqueen can take 2 Faint Attack and a Flamethrower, so it can at most beat 3 mons.

Lance (42) : Gyarados outspeeds but can't 2HKO with Surf so yu can beat it. Charizard doesn't 2HKO with Flamethrower and gets 2HKOed by Thunder Punch. Dragonite outspeed but except for the Blizzard one, Nidoqueen can take 2 hits. Aerodactyl is easily defeated 1v1, being 2HKOed by Surf.

Chuck (30) : Outspeed and 2HKO Primeape with Surf. Confusion is a 4HKO and Poliwrath 2HKOes due to the chip damages from Primeape. Luck reliant battle.

Jasmine (30) : Outspeed and OHKOes everything with MW Surf.

Pryce (32) : Surf in Rain Dance 2HKOes Seel and 3HKOes Dewgong, meaning the latter can't outstall with Rest. Piloswine is OHKOed by Surf. Clear win

Rival (33) : Outspeed and 2HKO Golbat with Surf, OHKO Magnemite and Haunter with Surf, 2HKO Meganium with Ice Punch, and 2HKO Sneasel. Easy sweep as only Sneasel outspeeds.

Clair (38) : Can take down 2 Dragonair at most, 2HKOing with Ice Punch. Kingdra is too much.

Rival (40) : Set up Rain Dance on Sneasel, OHKO it and Magneton, 2HKO Meganium. Set up Rain Dance on Golbat, OHKO it Haunter and Kadabra. Ez win.

Will (40) : MW Surf 2HKOes Jynx and Xatu and Ice Punch 2HKOes Exeggutor. Slowbro takes no damages. Golduck can beat either Xatu + Jynx or only Exeggutor as it hits too hard with Psychic.

Koga (41) : 2HKOes the bugs (Rain Dance is a range on Foretress and Venomoth). 3HKO Muk and 2HKO Crobat. You have to watch out for evasion but Golduck should put in work.

Bruno (41) : Set up Rain Dance on Dig and 2HKO Hitmon, OHKO Onix and 3HKO Machamp that 2HKOes with Cross Chop. Golduck should beat 2 Hitmon and Onix.

Karen (41) : Ice Punch 2HKOes Vileplume. Surf 3HKOes Umbreon. By setting up on Murkrow, it's possible to beat both Murkrow and Houndoom (MW Surf doesn't OHKO sadly). Gengar is 2HKOed by Surf (OHKOed if it goes for Curse). Pretty good as Golduck can take down up to 3 mons.

Lance (41) : Golduck can only beat either Dragonite, Charizard or Aerodactyl but will have to heal to kill more than 1 thing.

Pidgey is C-tier. It was great for the frst 2 gyms, sweeping without any problem but the mid-game was extremly long. Pidgeotto was just bad and lost ein every important fight from Whitney to Pryce, even getting past the rival's Golbat was hard and Chuck was kinda unreliable. However, it became way better when it evolved, being able to put in work against Clair and having a great Elite 4. The league was unexpectly good and I was surprised to see Pidgeot potentially 2HKOing Muk or beating Houndoom or Charizard without too much troubles. It had the right combination of speed, bulk and power and probably had the best overall E4 performance of the team. That being said, Pidgey can't be above C-tier, the Pidgeotto phase is just overwhelmingly bad and can't be ignored.

Victreebel is terrible and deserves D-tier. It had some uses like being able to beat Chuck with ease, potentially winning against Kingdra 1vs1 and having a strong Bruno fight. But, outside of that, it could sometimes get a ko or two but was a liability most of the time. DST Trick is annoying and takes time and training Victreebel is awful. Vine Whip is extremly weak and Sludge Bomb is only available in late-game, both moves having low PP. It could potentially use Sleep Powder and Growth but that's too unreliable. I still need to try Weepingbell but reading Ryota's logs, Victreebel is only slightly better than its pre-evo and merging them would make sense.

Nidoqueen and Nidoking are just too similar and both deserves C-tier. They were some differences, King was slightly better against Whitney, Rival and Will while Queen did better against Clair, Karen and somewhat Bruno. Some fights were different but Nidoqueen's bulk made up for the lack of speed (might be my DVs, it seemed really slow) and sometimes each mon could take down different foes.

Anyway, both weren't great. They required several TMs (I bought several times the elementary punches tms to ensure they would do as good as possible in the E4) and except for the win against Jasmine (and Rival I guess), they didn't have a strong matchup. They just aren't powerful enough and fail to OHKO and sometimes 2HKO even with super effective moves. The med slow group is great even though it actually takes a bit of time to get the Moon Stone. Not much to say, C-tier looks better for them, they almost always contribute (except for Morty) but they just don't win important battles by themself because they aren't strong enough.

Golduck is B-tier. It's really solid and gets Surf right off the bat was great and it came at around the same level as the rest of the team (I caught mine at level 24). It was amazing for Jasmine, Pryce and Rival and put in work against Clair and Chuck. The E4 was good as it could take down 2 to 3 mons most of the time and is great against Lance assuming it has healing. Not much to say, just a solid Water-types that hits hard and deserves the same tier as Vaporeon.

Next run is going to be Poliwag, Weedle, Snubull and Flareon.

By the way, it would be cool Ryota Mitarai if you could test Teddiursa in Crystal. I don't know if you tested it but I found it really great and it's currently in B-tier. I still need to try other Normal-types like Miltank or Girafarig but it's probably the best Normal-type as it wins in most important battles and can defeat Clair by itself.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
By the way, it would be cool Ryota Mitarai if you could test Teddiursa in Crystal. I found i really great and it's currently in B-tier.
I have used Teddiursa in a preliminary run, which is why it's B-tier. My main issue with it was that getting one early on was a pretty painful task due to the fact that it's got a flee rate of 50%, has a catch rate of 45 (relevant since you wanna catch it from first try), and it being level 2 also makes it easy to accidentally kill if you decide to risk the fleeing. You can opt for Ursaring at level 25-30, though this is a post-Surf one and has to be caught in a Friend Ball for a full-power Return (something which early Teddiursa wouldn't have to worry about). This one won't skip on many matchups, as, per experience, its only good matchups from Gyms 1-4 is Falkner. With that said, some things like the Clair sweep happened to me as well iirc, but I'd need to check my logs for more details (I also remember 2HKOing Umbreon)

anyways, I was planning on posting logs as well on Hoppip / Heracross / Sudowoodo / Corsola. Heracross assumes that you get it as early as possible.

Jumpluff

Falkner(13): beats Pidgey only

Bugsy(18): PB Tackle is a 9HKO on Scyther. You can beat it by putting it to sleep as it tries to overwhelm you with Fury Cutter, but that is unreliable due to shaky accuracy

Silver(19): can muscle through Bayleef with Poisonpowder and Tackle, with PB Tackle also 4HKOing Zubat

Whitney(20): PB Headbutt 4HKOes Clefairy. Miltank is faster and can hit you hard, your only way of winning here is getting extremely lucky with Sleep Powder

Silver(22): beats Zubat and Bayleef, the latter with Sleep Powder

Chuck(30): PB Headbutt 3HKOes Primeape. Poliwrath can be beaten with Sleep Powder + Leech Seed + Headbutt

Jasmine(30): SleepSeed and hope for the best

Pryce(31): Seel can be beaten with Headbutt spam. SleepSeed is needed on the rest, as they can 2HKO or OHKO with Ice STAB.

Silver(33): Sneasel is about the only Pokemon you are KOing without needing SleepSeed.

Clair(38): SleepSeed everything. Kingdra can be 1v1ed this way, as it 3HKOes with Hyper Beam as well, though Smokescreen can be annoying

Every fight onwards(40+): SleepSeed is your only way to safely beat anything, other than things with pathetically weak attacks

Hera

Whitney(20): Fury Cutter spam is your only way of winning here. Note that Miltank is faster and can flinch you with Stomp.

Silver(22): beats Zubat and Bayleef

Chuck(30): PB Strength 2HKOes Primeape and 3HKOes Poliwrath. Avoid Hypnosis and you are fine

Jasmine(30): no

Pryce(31): PB Strength 3HKOes Piloswine and 2HKOes the rest. Sweeping is highly likely, but not guaranteed due to Pryce healing Piloswine and it KOing you with three Blizzards

Silver(33): beats Sneasel, potentially Golbat, and Meganium. Avoid the rest

Clair(38): PB Strength 2HKOes Dragonair. They seem to 6HKO you, so it's possible to beat all three of them if you don't get unlucky with paralysis

Silver(40): EQ handles everything but Golbat and Meganium. Meganium can be muscled through with Fury Cutter, watch out for paralysis from Body Slam. Avoid Golbat

Will(41): nope, gets 2HKOed by Psychic, can't OHKO anything

Koga(41): PB Strength 2HKOes Venomoth and Ariados, while EQ 2HKOes Muk

Bruno(41): PB Strength 3HKOes Hitmontop and 2HKOes the other Hitmons. Onix is 2HKOed by EQ. Machamp is a flat 2HKO with Counter after Cross Chop, but I'd advise against fighting it.

Karen(42): beats Murkrow and Gengar. Vileplume too if you don't mind paralysis

Sudowoodo

Silver(22): beats everything but Bayleef

Morty(25): Dig OHKOes everything but Gengar. You are slower than everything

Jasmine(31): beats Magnemite

Pryce(31): beats Seel and Dewgong with Hard Stone Rock Slide. Piloswine is 3HKOed, but 2HKOes with Blizzard

Silver(33): Dig OHKOes Magnemite and Hard Stone Rock Slide OHKOes the rest but Meganium

Clair(38): Hard Stone Rock Slide 2HKOes Dragonair. However, the first one packs Surf.

Silver(40): beats everything but Meganium. Curse and Thunder Wave can cause problems, though

Will(41): Hard Stone Rock Slide OHKOes Xatu and Jynx, which 3HKO with Psychic. If you get lucky with confusion hax, you can beat them all

Koga(41): HS Rock Slide 2HKOes Crobat and OHKOes Ariados and Venomoth. EQ 2HKOes Muk

Bruno(42): no

Karen(42): beats Houndoom and Murkrow, though it barely lives against Houndoom after taking on Murkrow

Corsola

Silver(22): Surf spam 2HKOes everything but Bayleef

Morty(25): Surf OHKOes Gastly, 3HKOes Gengar, and 2HKOes the rest. You are slower than them, though

Jasmine(31): 1v1s Steelix. Magnemite is left in red by MW Surf and then paralyzes you.

Pryce(32): muscles through Seel and beats Piloswine

Silver(33): MW Surf OHKOes Magnemite and 2HKOes the rest bar Meganium.

Clair(38): Mirror Coat after Surf ALMOST OHKOes Kingdra. I am wondering if it can OHKO for sure at level 37

Silver(40): MW Surf in rain OHKOes Sneasel. EQ OHKOes Magneton and Haunter and 2HKOes Kadabra, though Magneton is faster

Will(42): MW Surf 2HKOes Xatu, but Corsola is 3HKOed by Psychic. Can't do much here

Koga(42): MW Surf 2HKOes Ariados and Forry. Muk is 3HKOed by EQ. Venomoth is also 3HKOed by Surf

Bruno(42): no

Karen(42): stopped bothering

thoughts:

Hoppip
Honestly... E-tier. It has the same issues as Exeggcute, which is that its beginning is awful (unlike Exeggcute, this thing doesn't even have an attacking move upon joining), though at least it levels up quickly due to Fast growth rate, and relying on SleepSeed to get past 99% of the game. Tackle and Headbutt aren't enough to save it either, as they lack power due to the line's pathetic Attack stat; I rarely 2HKOed anything with those attacks (granted, Return might have improved this, but I doubt it'd change my thoughts), so yeah, you can see why SleepSeed was needed. Yeah, it can 1v1 Kingdra this way and can be useful to teammates, but let's be honest, a majority of the Pokemon in this game is pretty usable, even if considered "bad", and support moves and in-game stalling aren't exactly needed here as a consequence. So I'd rather just have this in E-tier due to being inefficient in general.

Heracross
This one can be a bit difficult to tier due to the circumstances regarding its capture. For people that aren't aware, Heracross is only available on rare Headbutt trees, whose location is decided based on your Trainer ID. In most cases, you will be able to get it after beating Bugsy, but there are cases where you can only get it after beating Whitney. To be more specific, in Crystal, Heracross can be found in Azalea Town as long as your trainer ID's last digit isn't 7. In GS, it can be found on Route 30/31 (which means you have to backtrack) regardless of the digit, though the exact location may vary. The image below (which I blatantly stole from a Reddit thread), can be useful for determining which trees can have Heracross:

For its Crystal ranking, I will assume that the player prepares a Trainer ID that doesn't end in 7 beforehand.

Now, onto performance and other things. First, note that it has a flee rate of 10% (approximately) and a catch rate of 45. This means that catching it won't be an easy task. Anyways, another issue with Heracross is Slow growth rate, so it will eat your experience (although at least it's good on the routes for that purposes). Heracross's movepool is pretty shallow, consisting entirely of Fury Cutter and Headbutt/Strength until you teach it EQ through TMs. It is bad for Morty and Jasmine, while needing Fury Cutter to sweep Whitney. Its E4 performance was ehhh, its best matchup there was Bruno, the rest were around two KOs before it got at worst crippled significantly.

As for a tier, I am not sure if I agree with C-tier. It is not exactly the best thing to use on Gyms, though it's not a total deadweight either. I found the E4 performance unimpressive and Heracross isn't easy to catch (disregarding the whole rare tree mechanics) due to the flee + catch rate. I'd say D-tier sounds more appropriate, though I admit I may be too harsh on it. Third test on this would probably solve this issue, it's not like I am completely set on D-tier.

Sudowoodo
D-tier. It's incredibly slow and that ruined many of its matchups for me. It comes just at the moment when Rock stops being useful. Its E4 performance is mostly bad with around two KOs at best if you aren't lucky enough to get more. In general, it can do okay in fights, but it gets haxd too often and it's not a world beater either, it mostly capitalizes on the matchups that almost everything else can cover as well.

Corsola
D-tier. It's not great, but it's usable. It levels up fast and can be taught Surf almost immediately. It will do well against a few opponents, but it will drop in usefulness at the E4. Mirror Coat can make it useful against Kingdra, depending on level and IVs as well. In general, it's not good, but it's incredibly low-cost and can contribute enough to not be E-tier.

next team: Steelix / Poliwrath / Politoed / Sunkern (note: this team was decided before Zebes posted). Onix assumes Union Cave one due to disobedience early on, though if you don't care about Bugsy, the traded one is probs better in the long-run. Politoed is assumed to be caught as a Poliwhirl, then evolved with King's Rock from Slowpoke Well.

If the Nidos are C (which I support despite my post above as they really didn’t sweep much at all) then I think Wooper needs to go down there too.

I know we don’t tier based on comparisons but Quagsire is a mediocre Water type, whereas a Ground type the only thing it has going for it is free EQ, which I don’t even count as much of a plus when it doesn’t see much use as the League anyway. I mean sure the stats are comparable to other Waters in power but I don’t see why you’d specifically want Quagsire when there are loads of better options that are much more reliable.

My other problem with Wooper is that unlike 95% of other Waters it has really low Speed. A lot of the appeal of a Water type is firing off a quick Surf or Ice Punch, and Quagsire ain’t quick at all. The bulk is okay but that doesn’t mean much due to the hits adding up again thanks to how slow it is.

Sure it’s early but it’s just not all that great. Dig for Whitney means more Milk Drink, and while I can accept a bleh Morty matchup (honestly the most annoying fight in the game by far) it never really sweeps outside Jasmine and just doesn’t feel like it meets the B tier standard.

Sorry for repeating myself, just kinda wanted to solidify my opinion now that the Nidos seem by and large kinda mediocre.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
For the record, I hinted at possibly putting Wooper in C at one point. I think the problem is that Wooper is never truly bad in any matchup, but can't exactly force its way through them either. I suggested in the linked post to place it somewhere, then potentially move it to the other tier once the ranks are more established and we get a better idea of each tier's expectations. With that said, I don't mind Nidos and Wooper in either tier, though I do remember Nidoqueen being on par with Hypno in terms of power.

(by the way, I don't recommend catching a wild Quagsire due to flee rate of 50%).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)