Resource Guide to the ORAS OU metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, is that how it works? I'd gotten used to the other one's toggle option. Also, the sets appear to be repeated -- for instance, all of Mega Altaria's sets are under plain Altaria.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh, is that how it works? I'd gotten used to the other one's toggle option. Also, the sets appear to be repeated -- for instance, all of Mega Altaria's sets are under plain Altaria.
yeah that's the main problem with the calc.

Bored at work. Something that has always confused me is optimal HP numbers. So I did some digging (thanks google! Although a lot of the info was wrong...) and put this together, for my reference and others. Could this post be linked be in the op? if someone can show me where to find item sprites I'll edit them in for ease of reading.

This post is to explain the slightly confusing HP mechanics of Pokemon for newer players. Reading the forums and analyses you'll see mentions of life orb numbers, stealth rock numbers, leftover numbers etc. with regards to HP EVs. But what does that all mean, and how can you work out optimal HP spreads for yourself?

Before we get started, there are two things you need to know. First, every 4 EVs put into HP increases your maximum HP by one point at level 100. Second, the Pokemon games will always round down. For example 10% of 109 HP is 10 HP because 10.9 is rounded down.
To maximize the efficiency of items you want to reach a number that corresponds to the % of the item in question.

Leftovers restores 1/16 of your total HP per turn. This means that to maximise leftovers recovery you want a HP number that is divisible by 16. For example 304 HP will always give you 19 HP recovery.

The same rules apply for recoil damage, except this time you want to minimise the damage. Life orb for example takes 10%, so to minimise recoil from life orb you want to aim for a number that is divisible by 10, then subtract 1 (so basically any number that ends in a 9). This means that you're losing the lowest proportion of your HP and after 10 uses you are left with 9 HP.

This also applies to Stealth Rock which will deal 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32 damage to you. Spikes also does 1/8. Meaning if you make your HP divisible by 8 (or whatever your weakness multiplier is) and subtract 1, you have minimized Stealth Rock damage.
However, this may also minimise leftovers recovery, so if you're running lefties, it is actually more optimal for your HP to be divisible by 16 +1, which still reduces the hazard damage whilst only compromising your leftovers recovery by 1 point (basically over 10 turns of leftovers recovery you only lose out on 1 HP point total).

Then we have Substitute. It will always take 1/4 of your HP so aim for a number divisible by 4 - then subtract 1 so you can produce 4 Substitutes before fainting. Again if you're running lefties then a number divisible by 16 plus 1 is preferred. Another important detail for substitutes are the 101 HP subs. To reach this benchmark you require a minimum of 404 HP at lvl 100, this number is important because it means the substitute can't be broken by a single Seismic Toss or Night Shade.

Next, Belly Drum. It takes exactly 1/2 of your HP. To activate a Sitrus Berry you must fall exactly to 50% of your HP which means your HP must be divisible by 2. Sitrus Berry however gives you 25% health recovery, which means to optimise that your HP ideally should to be divisible by 4. This also applies if you are using subsalac or any other berry - your HP needs to be divisible by 4 in order to reach 25% after a belly drum and a substitute which then activates the berry of choice.

Sand and hail do 1/16 damage, so the same rules apply as for leftovers, except you -1 because this time you want to minimise the damage as opposed to maximising leftovers recovery. Again if you are running lefties +1 is most optimal.

Burn, poison, rough skin and iron barbs take 1/8, which handily works with the 1/16 common integer. Rocky Helmet however will deal 1/6 of the HP as damage so to minimise rocky helmet recoil, you guessed it, a HP number divisible by 6 then -1 (or + with lefties).

So what's the best overall number?

If running leftovers, a number divisible by both 6 and 16, + 1 will minimize all recoil and hazard damage, and maximize leftovers recovery. For example - 241, 289, 337.

However if not running leftovers, a number divisible by 6 and 16 - 1 is preferable as it reduces recoil and hazard damage further and you don't benefit from the leftovers benchmark. In this case 239, 287, 335 are your magic numbers.

If running life orb, a number divisible by 6, 10, and 16 -1 gives the maximum possible reduction to all hazard and recoil damage. 239 and 479 are pretty much the only useable examples.

Obviously it can be difficult to reach these exact numbers so generally you just go with whichever is most beneficial for your set! Ie are you SR weak, do you hate life orb recoil, is maximising lefties a priority, are you using subs, etc.

TL;DR A number divisible by 16 is best for recovery from Leftovers, Sitrus Berry, Black Sludge etc. A number divisible by 4 is best to activate berries after using Belly Drum. A number divisible by 16 - 1 is best to minimize Burn, weather and hazard damage, except if you have leftovers, then a number divisible by 16 + 1 is optimal. A number divisible by 10 - 1 is best to minimize Life Orb recoil.

Still TL;DR, I just want to play Pokemon!
If you don't want to be that anal, you can just remember that in general an odd HP number takes less damage from hazards and recoil than an even one :]

Last edited:
hey! i have a few suggestions and stuff:
  • afaik -Clone- has ended the player of the week series (if i'm wrong correct me), and i don't really thing that's something a beginner necessarily needs in the first place tbh.
  • ctc's teambuilding (role) compendium is pretty terrible... especially for a beginner. you already have fleggumfl's role compendium thread on there, so you might as well remove ctc's.
  • that pokemon of the week thread is dead (firehusky hasn't been seen for quite awhile), so that kinda needs to be removed.
  • you have 2 threads listed under teambuilding shop (both link to the same thing).
  • that guide to lures thread is locked, i'd replace it with Team Pokepals's lures compendium thread. tbh, i don't really thing this is needed at all in a guide like this.
  • sanger zonvolt's teambuilding thread has been locked, so i'd replace it with BlazeLatias's OU teambuilding thread.
  • i'd definitely add OrdA's improved breakmyteam. it's a super useful tool that gets that old breakmyteam thing, but uses the checks compendium to back it rather than usage stats or whatever the old one used.
  • the sets viability rankings thread might be something nice to add, but tbh it's pretty dead.
other than adding and removing stuff, i think the thread needs a bit of organization honestly. the bulk of this thread is the useful links, of course, but they're just kinda thrown on there. the reason i said the lures thread & potw aren't really needed (above) was because i really think this thread should be as streamline as possible for beginners. having links that don't really pertain to or help beginners at all is definitely counter productive. in that same vein, the links being generally disorganized isn't the best :x

i'd just kinda categorize everything (you can make a little subheader that says "tools" for links like the damage calc, team magma builder, improved breakmyteam, etc., for example.). also, if possible, can you (or an OU forum mod) make all these links hyperlinks? this is obviously just a little nitpick, and it's just me being anal more than anything, but it just looks much cleaner that way :p

hopefully this stuff could help! i really like this thread & the idea of it, and i think it's definitely something that beginners should take a look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)