Hardest Relative NPC

You say the Hoenn Elite Four are jokes, but not so much Steven (or even Wallace). Those of you who didn't pick up the Root Fossil back in the day might have had no idea that his Cradily was a Fossil 'Mon, and as such couldn't recognize the typing, until a team member used a move like Ice Beam. Also, dat Metagross. As for Wallace, some of the fight is a joke (seriously, Seaking on the Champion's roster!?) but CURSE that blasted Milotic...

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I have trouble with Hoenn Elite Four all the time, what do you guys use to make them so easy to beat? Then again I like using bad pokes in my Emerald runthroughs. I don't like cycling Quaza because I want Rotom save my Master Ball for cloning purposes.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I usually use sceptile or cradily for wallace. And bug takes out sidney, and any dark takes out Phoebe. Altaria usually takes out dragon dude, but anything with ice beam does as well. I forgot the last one, that's how much of a joke they muse be.

Yeah, hoenn elite four has always been so easy for me. I solo'd 2 of them all with an under-leveled (level you get it) castform using one item, outside of battle.

Edit: Oh wow 5 second ninja!

I have trouble with Hoenn Elite Four all the time, what do you guys use to make them so easy to beat? Then again I like using bad pokes in my Emerald runthroughs. I don't like cycling Quaza because I want Rotom save my Master Ball for cloning purposes.
Well, Blaziken has a field day in R/S, he kills the champion as well as Sydney and Glacia. Mightyena killed Phobe and if you had a Pokemon that could learn Ice Beam, you were basically set. If I remember right, the best teams I used were...

Sceptile/Mightyena/Gardevoir/Tentacruel(Or Gyarados)/Swellow/HM Slave
Blaziken/Gardevoir/Gyarados/Salamence/Waillord/HM Slave
Swampert/Swellow/Breloom/Flygon/Magneton/HM Slave

Magnemites awesome ingame for beating Winona Tate and Wallace/Juan all on its own for the most part if you use him he can also beat the majority of the elite 4 as no one besides Steven and Drake carries a super effective move for him to deal with those two your best bet is probably to use an ice type move from Tentacruel (I don't see how anyone could not have a water type in Houen) can beat Drake, and Steven is handled by Skarmory electic and fire Claydol ice Armaldo Water Cradily fighting (magneton can beat it though) I don't recall his 5th member and Metagross gl. Magneton and tentacruel should be able to handle the elite 4 on their own it really isn't a problem

R/S/E I always found to be one of the easier games purely as the starters (Barring Treecko) were so potent. A well leveled Mudkip has a great movepool and struggles in only one battle.

My first time through was using Blaziken as my starter, and I forget what the rest of the team was. I think a Salamence because I remembered grinding like hell to get it, and it was my main flyer.

On a new playthrough, Swampert, Swellow/Crobat, Magneton and the ultimate HM Slave Tropius are literally all I need to get through the game. I'll throw in 2 more pokes as death fodder before the E4.

The Hoenn Elite 4 are jokes, besides, I'm traditional in the sense that I save my one and only MasterBall for the damn Lati. Regi's, Groudon, and Kyougre are not difficult to catch when compared to the Lati's and Rayquaza.
but I couldn't catch a regirock at 1 HP, paralysed using like 12 ultra balls. then I got pissed and resetted to clone master balls :)

dcae

plaza athénée
Imo Regi's were pretty hard to find without using YouTube, but it was one of the best feelings of accomplishment. Too bad they were crappy and it took forever to catch them.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Whitney's Miltank, being fairly new to the game (I was better than all my schoolmates) I got murdered by the cuddly evil cow. My team of a level 30 Bayleaf got the bajeezusus out him, I then caught a ditto who out rolled the cow of doom. My two way overleveled pokemon then carried me through the game until I got ho oh, who just beat everything
She took me 3 tries to beat her... urgghhh...

But I think the NPC that was really hard for me was Ghetsis--
I couldn't believe that I was using up a batch of revive herbs... outside Elite4.
I didn't even use half the amount when I battled then entire E4 + Iris.
Ghetsis' Hydreigon was evil.

Celever

i am town
Clair Clair Clair Clair.

Playing through heartgold again it made me realize. She has a level 41 kingdra, at that point in the game, with 6 pokemon, you should be somewhere between 30-35 in levels. Oh, easy grinding then! Oh wait, highest levels of wild pokemon is level 23 o_o.
You can find level 21 in the grass as well. That is half of Kingdra's level. I am not kidding here.

Furthermore, gamefreak gives you a big middle finger. They give you under-leveled pokemon in ice cave. "Oh my god! I found a Jynx! That should be amazing to use against this dragon leader!"
One of her dragonair knows fire blast. Ya. I know.
Her gyarados that she leads with knows dragon rage, and she just spams it. 3HKO on all of your pokemon.
Both of her dragonair know thunder wave and use it every time you send a new pokemon out. They then spam dragon rage, while out-speeding you, and you have no way to combat it. The only hard special wall you can have at that point is mantine, but he can't hurt them at all (yeah, I'm using one this time) and is slowly demolished anyways.
Kingdra... you can only have a super-effective attack on it if you win the lottery on a particular day or you wasted half your life on voltorb flip and bought one. It knows smokescreen, just to flip you over, and then hyper beam, dragon pulse and holy frickin' hydro pump. Level 41. You cannot beat that woman. You really can't. I beat her very occasionally, and that is on solo or duo runs. ;_;

Clair Clair Clair Clair.

Playing through heartgold again it made me realize. She has a level 41 kingdra, at that point in the game, with 6 pokemon, you should be somewhere between 30-35 in levels. Oh, easy grinding then! Oh wait, highest levels of wild pokemon is level 23 o_o.
You can find level 21 in the grass as well. That is half of Kingdra's level. I am not kidding here.

Furthermore, gamefreak gives you a big middle finger. They give you under-leveled pokemon in ice cave. "Oh my god! I found a Jynx! That should be amazing to use against this dragon leader!"
One of her dragonair knows fire blast. Ya. I know.
Her gyarados that she leads with knows dragon rage, and she just spams it. 3HKO on all of your pokemon.
Both of her dragonair know thunder wave and use it every time you send a new pokemon out. They then spam dragon rage, while out-speeding you, and you have no way to combat it. The only hard special wall you can have at that point is mantine, but he can't hurt them at all (yeah, I'm using one this time) and is slowly demolished anyways.
Kingdra... you can only have a super-effective attack on it if you win the lottery on a particular day or you wasted half your life on voltorb flip and bought one. It knows smokescreen, just to flip you over, and then hyper beam, dragon pulse and holy frickin' hydro pump. Level 41. You cannot beat that woman. You really can't. I beat her very occasionally, and that is on solo or duo runs. ;_;
Yes. I know what you mean.

On my first HeatGold run, I beat Whitney in one try with no one fainting. Then Clair took me three tries. Kingdra has Smokescreen to screw around. I remember when I finally won I crit that thing to death while it was frozen by my Gyarados's Ice Fang. And it was my only mon left.

Liza and Tate. Not sure why but everything I sent out seemed to get OHKO'd by either Lunatone or Solrock. Probably the only gym where I've had to do extra training to specifically beat the gym leader.
it took me 6 years to figure out that i can just trivialise the entire battle with sharpedos >__________>

dcae

plaza athénée
I don't understand what was the problem with Ghetsis Hydreigon. I was going through my White and I beat it pretty easily with Haxorus, if I remember correctly. Didn't really stick out as a tough battle. Cynthia in my Diamond, on the other hand, as hellish to face. That level 66 Garchomp would tear apart my underleveled team every time, because I am generally late 40 early 50 in levels when beginning the E4, burnt then hey go from lvl 52 bugs to a level 66 monster. Ugh.

As a little kid on my first playthrough the hardest fights I found were:
RBY:
-Misty of course, that Bubblebeam....
-Gary on the S.S Anne
GSC:
-Whitney's Miltank
-Jasmine's Steelix, holy hell I had no idea how to kill Steel types I got massacred there
RSE:
-Norman's Slaking
-Liza and Tate

I was old enough to easily cruise through all of the later games without much trouble though.

Celever

i am town
I don't understand what was the problem with Ghetsis Hydreigon. I was going through my White and I beat it pretty easily with Haxorus, if I remember correctly. Didn't really stick out as a tough battle. Cynthia in my Diamond, on the other hand, as hellish to face. That level 66 Garchomp would tear apart my underleveled team every time, because I am generally late 40 early 50 in levels when beginning the E4, burnt then hey go from lvl 52 bugs to a level 66 monster. Ugh.
I also had no trouble with Ghetsis. Or cynthia (I've beat her once, and I've beat Lucian once. Lucian is way harder, I swept Cynthia with a girafarig and a snover. Not evolved.).
Anyway, I can try to explain to you about how it is hard. Thanks to it's perfect coverage in just Dragon pulse(?) and flamethrower, as well as then lots of your pokemon super-effectively with surf (?) and dark pulse. It's also fairly over-leveled.
To be fair, I don't get why Cynthia, the woman commonly thought of as the hardest trainer in all of pokemon, is actually hard. She's easy. ~'_'~

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To be fair, I don't get why Cynthia, the woman commonly thought of as the hardest trainer in all of pokemon, is actually hard. She's easy. ~'_'~
If this is in DP, basically, Cynthia is similar to Clair in GSC/HGSS—They are fairly over-levelled relative to what is around them. I mean, Volkner's strongest Pokémon is a Lv49 Luxray. One route, Victory Road, & several E4 Encounters away, her Garchomp is Lv66—17 Levels higher than Luxray. While Clair was basically annoyingly difficult to beat in general, Cynthia is not as bad, but she can certainly give unprepared teams headaches. That was pretty much the big issue with her, because of how over-levelled she is compared to the final gym... She is a bit more manageable in Platinum though (Lv50 for Volkner's Electivire, Lv62 for Cynthia's Garchomp), but still, the level gap in DP was... yeah. -.-'

Celever

i am town
If this is in DP, basically, Cynthia is similar to Clair in GSC/HGSS—They are fairly over-levelled relative to what is around them. I mean, Volkner's strongest Pokémon is a Lv49 Luxray. One route, Victory Road, & several E4 Encounters away, her Garchomp is Lv66—17 Levels higher than Luxray. While Clair was basically annoyingly difficult to beat in general, Cynthia is not as bad, but she can certainly give unprepared teams headaches. That was pretty much the big issue with her, because of how over-levelled she is compared to the final gym... She is a bit more manageable in Platinum though (Lv50 for Volkner's Electivire, Lv62 for Cynthia's Garchomp), but still, the level gap in DP was... yeah. -.-'
I suppose it must have been because I was like 2 levels lower than Cynthia when I battled her thanks to the difficulty of Lucian requiring me to grind up for him.

Gen 1:

Misty: DAT Bubblebeam. I remember many talked about how Misty is the last challenge in RBY

Gen 2:

Whitney: Before i learned to use Pineco

Morty: Before i learned to use Scary Face Tauros

Clair: DAT HYPER BEAM KINGDRA. Seriously though, unless i am using like.... Meganium, Kingdra is a pain to deal with

*and then I learned to use Growl

Blue: Ballanced overall team, and the first time the leveling curve of GSC shows its blatant flaw

Gen 3:

can i say the whole game? Okay, maybe the E4.

IMO gen 3 is the hardest in the series because there are not many easy to abuse, significantly gamebreaking pokemon.

I never understood why people had trouble with Tate and Liza, the anime was pretty clear on how to beat them Swellows are pretty easy to get just catch a voltorb or something and use Thunder

Tate and Liza are easy yes ... Just grab a Water or a Grass Pokemon, and nuke them ... Only Xatu can be difficult, but a Ice/Electric attack ruins it ...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Unfortunately, the best place to train for Clair is in the small grassy area just south of the Safari Zone... Everything theire is sort of mid 20's but there is a chance for Tauros who gives decent XP.

As far as I can tell this is literally the only place/best way to grind... Unless I guess you fish for Gyarados in the sea or something. I struggled against Clair a few times on some of my runs. There is such a low level curve and siddenly she is at 42's. I would agree that Quagsire is probably the best way to beat her unless you have something like Haunter/Gengar.

Is that HGSS? I assume there are a lot more broken stuff in HGSS that make Clair somewhat more manageable....

In GSC the best grinding place until post game is like.... Surfing east of Ecruteak and the grass below Clair's town

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)