Pokémon Hatterene

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.

Type: Psychic / Fairy
Base Stats
: 57 HP | 90 Atk | 95 Def | 136 SpA | 103 SpD | 29 Spe
Abilities: Healer | Anticipation | Magic Bounce (H)

[Notable Moves]
- Aromatherapy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Giga Drain
- Trick Room
- Mystical Fire
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball
- Future Sight
- Dark Pulse
- Stored Power
- Nuzzle
Level Up Moves:
- [01] Psycho Cut
- [01] Brutal Swing
- [01] Confusion
- [01] Play Nice
- [01] Life Dew
- [01] Disarming Voice
- [Evo] Psycho Cut
- [15] Aromatherapy
- [20] Psybeam
- [25] Heal Pulse
- [30] Dazzling Gleam
- [37] Calm Mind
- [46] Psychic
- [55] Healing Wish
- [64] Magic Powder
TMs:
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM10] Magical Leaf
- [TM14] Thunder Wave
- [TM17] Light Screen
- [TM19] Safeguard
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM28] Giga Drain
- [TM29] Charm
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM41] Helping Hand
- [TM44] Imprison
- [TM60] Power Swap
- [TM61] Guard Swap
- [TM65] Shadow Claw
- [TM69] Psycho Cut
- [TM70] Trick Room
- [TM71] Wonder Room
- [TM72] Magic Room
- [TM76] Round
- [TM87] Draining Kiss
- [TM92] Mystical Fire
- [TM97] Brutal Swing
TRs:
- [TR00] Swords Dance
- [TR11] Psychic
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR25] Psyshock
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR29] Baton Pass
- [TR33] Shadow Ball
- [TR34] Future Sight
- [TR40] Skill Swap
- [TR49] Calm Mind
- [TR58] Dark Pulse
- [TR72] Power Whip
- [TR82] Stored Power
- [TR90] Play Rough
- [TR92] Dazzling Gleam
Egg Moves:
- Aromatic Mist
- Nuzzle
- After You
- Quash

[New Moves]

Life Dew
- The user scatters mysterious water around and restores the HP of itself and its ally Pokémon in the battle.
Magic Powder - The user scatters a cloud of magic powder that changes the target to Psychic type.

[Pros]

- Great Special Attack stat. Since it's already very slow, it also has the luxury of running a Modest / Quiet nature
- Gets Mystical Fire to hit Steel-types that resist its STAB combination
- Magic Bounce lets it shut down passive Pokemon like Toxapex
- Good utility movepool includes moves like Calm Mind, Trick Room, Healing Wish, and Nuzzle

[Cons]

- Low Speed makes it easier to pivot around and / or revenge kill than Tapu Lele if Trick Room isn't set
- Since it doesn't automatically set Psychic Terrain, its Psychic is much weaker than Tapu Lele's Psychic
- Does not get Moonblast; Modest Dazzling Gleam is slightly weaker than Timid Tapu Lele's Moonblast
- Low HP stat

[Dynamaxing Potential]

Hatterene has a good amount of Dynamaxing potential. Max Mindstorm sets Psychic Terrain, which can shield it from revenge killing by priority users under Trick Room. Max Starfall sets Misty Terrain, which could improve its stallbreaking capabilities, although it's already immune to Toxic due to Magic Bounce and it doesn't really mind Scald burns. Max Darkness allows it to lower the target's Special Defense stat so it can hit them harder with its next attack.

[Potential Movesets]

[Offensive Trick Room]

Hatterene @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire

I think this set has the most potential right now given how fast-paced the metagame currently is. Trick Room allows Hatterene to make use of its very low Speed to turn the tables on offense and avoid being revenge killed by Ditto. Since people will often try to dance around Hatterene, such as with Toxapex + Ferrothorn, you may want to use Leftovers instead of Life Orb to increase its longevity.

[4 Attacks]
Hatterene @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Future Sight / Dark Pulse

With this set, Hatterene gets immediate breaking power and greater longevity, but prediction is more important compared to the other sets. Future Sight lets it force your opponent into making predictable plays later, Dark Pulse hits Psychic-types and has good neutral coverage to ease prediction (chosen over Shadow Ball for its Dynamax effect).

[Defensive]
Hatterene @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam / Sleep Talk
- Mystical Fire

This set can come in on and force out some common hazard setters like Toxapex + Ferrothorn. It takes very little damage from Gyro Ball due to Hatterene's low Speed. A replay where it was successfully used can be found here

Last edited:
This Pokemon has a massive Achilles Heel; that renders Magic Bounce useless, and that weakness is Excadrill with Mold Breaker. I have ran into plenty of them in Showdown. Leading with her and setting up Trick Room with her is a terrible idea. She does have Calm Mind, but due to her low HP it is very irksome with Physical Attackers. I will say this again after testruns; do not lead with her. She needs to be with a Trick Room on the field like Copperajah. Have a user with bulk Cofagrigus/Runerigus and Bronzong are your best bets..

This trick room set is exactly what I've been running, with lefties for longevity. It's been working wonders so far.
I experimented Healing Wish and Calm Mind in the Dazzling Gleam slot, But Dazzling gleam is just a better option overral, to hit opposing Hatterenes and Hydreigons. But Healing Wish is a cool niche option if your team is in need of it, since you'll be able to use it first under trick room.

Magic Bounce is easily the best thing about Hatterene. Competing with Xatu and Espeon in that regard, Hatterene out tanks Xatu due to better stats and typing while hits just as hard as Espeon with additional STAB coverage at the cost of speed. The most important thing the differentiates her from the others is beating out several Dark types that shut down the other two.
In addition she has decent coverage with Fairy/Psychic stab and Dark/Fire/Grass moves to cover certain key matchups. Her low speed is also a blessing; she can force out more Pokemon than other TR setters and set it up for herself and her team or alternatively use Healing Wish to suicide to let her teammates have a free switch. Copperajah is an excellent teammate and helps cover some of her bad matchups.

That all being said she is hard countered by Sandstorm Teams. Slower than most other Pokemon, OHKO'd by Excadrill and the prevalence of Tyranitar who can check her means it is going to struggle in OU most likely.

You gotta mention the gigantamax. Being able to confuse the foe is arguably better than setting Misty Terrain in most situations, since Hatterene isn’t too vulnerable to status, it can mess up your Psychic Terrain, and getting a confusion turn can make a difference against more offensive foes

Last edited:
I completely spaced on Trick Room for some odd reason when I first saw this witch. I actually looked at Hatterene from a purely defensive lens at first:

Calm Tank
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV's: (HP 252) (Def 252) (Sp.Def 4)
Calm Mind
Life Dew
Stored Power/Psychic/Psyshock
Dazzling Gleam

Set up Calm Mind to boost special attack and special defense and use Life Dew when needed. Invest all EV's into HP and defense to make Hatterene as physically bulky as possible since Calm Mind covers special defense. Stored Power is remarkable if you can get in two or better yet more boosts, Psychic is more reliable, and Psychock handles specially defensive threats. The last move goes to its most powerful secondary STAB Dazzling Gleam. Leftovers provides added recovery and Magic Bounce allows Hatterene to set up without an open invitation for the opponent to passively wear you down with status effects. This set has no method to effectively damage Steel types though since there is no room for Mystical Fire. Can't really do well without a second attacking move, recovery, or Calm Mind after all. Or maybe you can...

Kiss of the Silent Witch
Item: Leftovers/Big Root
Calm Mind
Draining Kiss
Mystical Fire

Just a few tweaks to make room for Mystical Fire's Steel coverage and a means to fight a little less passively. By replacing Dazzling Gleam with Drain Kiss you give Hatterene a means to heal AND damage the opposition. Not as reliable as the recovery from Life Dew, and the power drop is noticeable compared to Dazzling Gleam, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Interestingly, if you want to try a different held item than Leftovers, Big Root combined with Draining Kiss boosts the 75% drain rate to a whopping 97.5% which is almost 100% leech efficient. Worth a mention even if it is gimmicky.

Side note:
I love this Pokemon's entire concept. A witch that detests noise and overpowering human emotions. As an empathic individual I can totally relate to Hatterne's pain and frustration. Kinda makes me want to share a cup of tea in a tall tower alongside this magnificent mage while we waste entire towns with G-Max Smite every time someone disturbs our peace and quiet. Also, ITS PRE-EVOLUTIONS ARE SO F***ING ADORABLE!

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I completely spaced on Trick Room for some odd reason when I first saw this witch. I actually looked at Hatterene from a purely defensive lens at first:

Calm Tank
Item: Leftovers
Calm Mind
Life Dew
Dazzling Gleam

Set up Calm Mind to boost special attack and special defense and use Life Dew when needed. Invest all EV's into HP and defense to make Hatterene as physically bulky as possible since Calm Mind covers special defense. Stored Power is remarkable if you can get in two or better yet more boosts, Psychic is more reliable, and Psychock handles specially defensive threats. The last move goes to its most powerful secondary STAB Dazzling Gleam. Leftovers provides added recovery and Magic Bounce allows Hatterene to set up without an open invitation for the opponent to passively wear you down with status effects. This set has no method to effectively damage Steel types though since there is no room for Mystical Fire. Can't really do well without a second attacking move, recovery, or Calm Mind after all. Or maybe you can...

Kiss of the Silent Witch
Item: Leftovers/Big Root
Calm Mind
Draining Kiss
Mystical Fire

Just a few tweaks to make room for Mystical Fire's Steel coverage and a means to fight a little less passively. By replacing Dazzling Gleam with Drain Kiss you give Hatterene a means to heal AND damage the opposition. Not as reliable as the recovery from Life Dew, and the power drop is noticeable compared to Dazzling Gleam, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Interestingly, if you want to try a different held item than Leftovers, Big Root combined with Draining Kiss boosts the 75% drain rate to a whopping 97.5% which is almost 100% leech efficient. Worth a mention even if it is gimmicky.

Side note:
I love this Pokemon's entire concept. A witch that detests noise and overpowering human emotions. As an empathic individual I can totally relate to Hatterne's pain and frustration. Kinda makes me want to share a cup of tea in a tall tower alongside this magnificent mage while we waste entire towns with G-Max Smite every time someone disturbs our peace and quiet. Also, ITS PRE-EVOLUTIONS ARE SO F***ING ADORABLE!
Some nice ideas, but since Hatterene isn't incredibly bulky and wants to invest in its offenses as much as possible, I think it'll struggle to pull off a Calm Mind set; Life Dew also only recovers 1/4th of its user's HP, so it's not a great recovery option either. Reuniclus seems like a better Calm Mind user to me since it's bulkier and gets Recover.

That said, it looks like someone successfully employed a RestTalk set to counter Ferro / Pex / Corsola builds, so I will probably update the post to include that

Some nice ideas, but since Hatterene isn't incredibly bulky and wants to invest in its offenses as much as possible, I think it'll struggle to pull off a Calm Mind set; Life Dew also only recovers 1/4th of its user's HP, so it's not a great recovery option either. Reuniclus seems like a better Calm Mind user to me since it's bulkier and gets Recover.

That said, it looks like someone successfully employed a RestTalk set to counter Ferro / Pex / Corsola builds, so I will probably update the post to include that
Cram it all! I didn't realize Life Dew only healed 25%! So much for my plans to transfer over a Blastoise, Lapras, and Goodra with Toxic to stall heal with Life Dew (But at least Lapras still has Hydra Rest). Oh well. I guess I can still try the Trick Room sets, and it won't stop me from at least trying Draining Kiss sets even if I fail in the process. Sometimes the best way to surprise the opponent is to think outside of traditional strategy after all. I doubt Hannibal wouldn't have gotten as far as he did in military campaigns if he didn't......then again he came charging into the battlefield riding on a Copperajah that spammed Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, so I guess my allegory is mostly moot.

Cram it all! I didn't realize Life Dew only healed 25%! So much for my plans to transfer over a Blastoise, Lapras, and Goodra with Toxic to stall heal with Life Dew (But at least Lapras still has Hydra Rest). Oh well. I guess I can still try the Trick Room sets, and it won't stop me from at least trying Draining Kiss sets even if I fail in the process. Sometimes the best way to surprise the opponent is to think outside of traditional strategy after all. I doubt Hannibal wouldn't have gotten as far as he did in military campaigns if he didn't......then again he came charging into the battlefield riding on a Copperajah that spammed Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, so I guess my allegory is mostly moot.
I myself have been wanting to do the draining kiss set with her. Yeah shes not as bulky but i think can get away with it. You switch in on a defensive setup mon and reflect there stuff back with magic bounce. Get a calm mind or 2 as they try to attack or swap, then just heal everything back with a draining kiss. Mystical fire also pairs very well with calm mind as any special attacker will be very hard pressed to do any damage to you.

If you have some healing set up like a grassy terrain too you become very hard to kill.

I see hatterene being commonly used both in VGC and OU, although mostly in trick room teams, for a couple reasons:

1. a forbidden beast will inevitably and undeniably be added is Melmetal: pure steel type, amazing defence and attack with its low speed would make it a common, powerful core with hatterene, being able to cover most of each other's weaknesses. body press, double Iron bash and darkest lariat are probably what it would carry. their chemistry and potencial is scary, and will very likely be a major threat.

2. the addition of (and existence) slow, power full sweepers would make TR teams more versatile than ever. There were 2 pokemon that were the "common" TR setters before gen 8: magearna and cresselia. because cresselia was relatively weak and magearna was more common in other uses in the gen 7 meta, TR didn't had its true call in the last gens. With hatterene, being the most solid setter yet, and the addition of Dynamax, many powerful and different pokemon will make TR teams more dangerous, different, and most importantly, fun to play.

some great examples of Abusers for trick rooms are new ones like Melmetal, Grimmsnarl, Dracozolt, Runerigus, and older ones in the like of Aegislash, Drampa, Crawdaunt and Conkeldurr.( Magearna and Alolan Marowak in the National Dex as well).

Something about these two things you said seems contradictory.
Empathic meaning I am an emotional sponge to other around me. If the room is negative and full of toxic people I soak it all up and cannot emotionally dilute it or shrug it off unlike most other people, much like how Hatterene is so sensitive to human emotions that it literally causes her headaches. So if I am unable to squeeze out the negativity with proper self-care, the negativity just piles up and somehow G-Max Smiting the toxic communities seems like a good stress reliever.

I've been playtesting CM Hatterene because I find its ability to Stallbreak against common Defensive Pokemon in OU right now to be very good. After some playtesting, I've optimized the EV spread for CM Hatterene.

Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock /Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam

Item: Leftovers allows it to better sustain against repeated attacks from these Defensive Pokemon. It also counteracts a random Scald burn from Toxapex.
EVs: 92 SpAtk guarantees that +1 Mystical Fire will OHKO 252 HP/232+ SpDef after Stealth Rock. +0 Psyshock is also a guaranteed 2HKO on Pex after Lefties and Stealth Rock. I used Ferrothorn as a benchmark because its Gyro Ball does the most damage to Hatterene out of all the current defensive Pokemon in the game (maybe bar Brave Bird Corviknight). Even though most Ferrothorns should be running Physical to combat Gyarados, most Ferros that I've run into are copy-pasted from the USM analysis. Once the meta stablizes, feel free to tune the SpAtk EVs down and invest more into physical bulk. Your benchmark for EV changes will almost always be either Ferrothorn or Corviknight and you want to adjust EVs such that a +1 Mystical Fire will always OHKO after Stealth Rock
Moves: 3 Attacks allow it to hit every defensive threat in OU neutrally. Dazzling Gleam also helps break max Def G-Corsola more easily. Life Dew is a bad option because it wastes a turn for 25% recovery. Since Blissey and Chansey were yeet'd from SwiSh, the choice between Psyshock and Psychic ultimately depends if the meta favors max Def Pex or max SpDef Pex.

In terms of relevance on teams, Hatterene maintains relevance throughout the entire game if you are against a stall team. Against Balance or Offense, Hatterene should be used as a late-game CM cleaner once threats like Exca and G-Darm are removed. Conkeldurr is a great teammate for her because it breaks balance teams really easily (threatens Clef, Pex, Ferro, Corv with CC/TPunch/PJab and KOs Exca, G-Darm, Skewda with Guts Mach Punch). I think Hat is a good Pokemon right now, and a lot of teams are underprepared for it.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I've been playtesting CM Hatterene because I find its ability to Stallbreak against common Defensive Pokemon in OU right now to be very good. After some playtesting, I've optimized the EV spread for CM Hatterene.

Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock /Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam

Item: Leftovers allows it to better sustain against repeated attacks from these Defensive Pokemon. It also counteracts a random Scald burn from Toxapex.
EVs: 92 SpAtk guarantees that +1 Mystical Fire will OHKO 252 HP/232+ SpDef after Stealth Rock. +0 Psyshock is also a guaranteed 2HKO on Pex after Lefties and Stealth Rock. I used Ferrothorn as a benchmark because its Gyro Ball does the most damage to Hatterene out of all the current defensive Pokemon in the game (maybe bar Brave Bird Corviknight). Even though most Ferrothorns should be running Physical to combat Gyarados, most Ferros that I've run into are copy-pasted from the USM analysis. Once the meta stablizes, feel free to tune the SpAtk EVs down and invest more into physical bulk. Your benchmark for EV changes will almost always be either Ferrothorn or Corviknight and you want to adjust EVs such that a +1 Mystical Fire will always OHKO after Stealth Rock
Moves: 3 Attacks allow it to hit every defensive threat in OU neutrally. Dazzling Gleam also helps break max Def G-Corsola more easily. Life Dew is a bad option because it wastes a turn for 25% recovery. Since Blissey and Chansey were yeet'd from SwiSh, the choice between Psyshock and Psychic ultimately depends if the meta favors max Def Pex or max SpDef Pex.

In terms of relevance on teams, Hatterene maintains relevance throughout the entire game if you are against a stall team. Against Balance or Offense, Hatterene should be used as a late-game CM cleaner once threats like Exca and G-Darm are removed. Conkeldurr is a great teammate for her because it breaks balance teams really easily (threatens Clef, Pex, Ferro, Corv with CC/TPunch/PJab and KOs Exca, G-Darm, Skewda with Guts Mach Punch). I think Hat is a good Pokemon right now, and a lot of teams are underprepared for it.
Someone is already in the process of writing an analysis skeleton. Post in this thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/hatterene.3656675/

Just noticed (kinda obvious but didn't think about it) that Magic Bounce reflects Strength Sap. A little trick that can help getting some recovery versus G-Corsolas.

Empathic meaning I am an emotional sponge to other around me. If the room is negative and full of toxic people I soak it all up and cannot emotionally dilute it or shrug it off unlike most other people, much like how Hatterene is so sensitive to human emotions that it literally causes her headaches. So if I am unable to squeeze out the negativity with proper self-care, the negativity just piles up and somehow G-Max Smiting the toxic communities seems like a good stress reliever.
Do you shop at Hot Topic.

Yeah ! You straight up copy the move, recovering HP and reducing Corsola’s attack stat.
Not the best heal but a great way to stop those that use that move.

Do we even have many magic bounce pokemon this gen? I think most of them got cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)