Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Life Dew
- Nuzzle / Filler

I think Life Dew has a place on this mon..
This set is fairly standard-ish but it can get through Ferro/Pex/Corsola which is pretty cool tbh. The negative speed nature and 0 speed means it takes absolutely nothing from gyro balls. While Life Dew is not 50% recovery, what it does is mean that power whip and gyro ball are never going to break through you, as well as healing exactly 100 hp every turn meaning galarian corsola cant break through you. With Nuzzle, you'll paralyze it and get free turns to hit it while it wont be able to heal anything off you due to magic bounce preventing Strength Sap- youll eventually win that 1v1 after a couple of paralysis. Nuzzle's also cool in general to hit switchins that you arent hitting hard enough with psychic/fire coverage, for instance Hydreigon. Dazzling Gleam is cool too for the last slot, but itll miss out on beating Galarian Corsola and isnt hitting amazingly hard especially since this set isnt investing in Spa- its just trying to be solid hazard prevention/utility.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Honestly, the hat is one of the most annoying things to encounter. There are few hard counters to it due to coverage and while it can be taken out quickly by a lot of things, it has enough going for it between movepool, ability, typing, and sorta stats that it can make an impact. I’ve seen a lot of it on the ladder with the classic LO 3A set and while it is nowhere near top tier I feel like it shreds FerroPex type of teams with ease.

Honestly, the hat is one of the most annoying things to encounter. There are few hard counters to it due to coverage and while it can be taken out quickly by a lot of things, it has enough going for it between movepool, ability, typing, and sorta stats that it can make an impact. I’ve seen a lot of it on the ladder with the classic LO 3A set and while it is nowhere near top tier I feel like it shreds FerroPex type of teams with ease.
also this is probably just me but until yesterday afternoon when the sprites were updates so they show up on the side, I'd keep forgetting an opponent had it (even if I had Hatterene myself) and set up hazards/bounce Toxic onto myself

This thing is surprisingly effective.

If you set up Trick Room into Dynamax it will consistently kill 3-4 mons. The fact that it can’t be revenge killed with priority after using Max Mindstorm is huge.

Wouldn’t Weakness Policy be a decent meme on TR hatterene ?

Hatterene-Gmax (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room

Checks Excadrill w/ Dynamax.
252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Max Steelspike vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Hatterene: 439-523 (138.4 - 164.9%) (Survives w/ Dynamax and triggers WP)
+2 60 SpA Hatterene Max Flare vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 724-852 (200 - 235.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (kills Dynamaxed full HP)

Obviously abuses Ferrothorn like a lot of sets, but this time you can easily setup a sweep by pivoting in a gyro-ball and setup Trick Room on the next turn.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (35 BP) vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Hatterene: 56-68 (17.6 - 21.4%) -- possible 5HKO

You can survive both moves actually when dynamaxed (523 + 68 = 591 which is below Hatterene's Dynamaxed HP of 623, considering you get max rolls on both moves), surviving a potential revenge kill from Trick Room Ferrothorn.

Doesn't change much versus Toxapex without WP or Dynamax, as unboosted Psychic with this spread still 2HKOs only. But between potential WP boost, using Dynamax or setting up Psychic terrain during Dynamax, you have plenty of ways to setup an OHKO on it.

Might need further EV optimization and thoughts versus other OU threats and other potential WP matchups (Dragapult ?), but it might actually be quite funny (if not decent) !

Weakness Policy is basically never good on anything because until you actually activate it you might as well have no item and when you do take that super effective hit half the time you just die.

Just running Quiet + Life Orb hits with 82% as much power as your set would at +2 except it doesn't have to risk killing itself to get there.

CM Hat set that I posted needs 12 Speed to beat G-Corsola since Night Shade is a 3HKO and Corsola (funnily enough) outspeed Hatterene

What about a bulky special attacker with assault vest? Its special defense is above average, and that could make it a decent tank to handle special attackers. Plus if you decide to use it on a trick room team with other setters, it could become a dangerous threat that only fears physical moves

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I've been trying Future Sight on this mon and it kinda slaps. Use it when your opponent switches out Ferrothorn or Toxapex away from Hatterene, fearing a regular Psychic move or Mystical Fire. Few Pokemon want to eat a 408 Sp Atk, 120 power Psychic and another move on the same turn. Dazzling Gleam takes care of any Dark-types that would try to tank the Future Sight. Alternatively, when you're forced to switch away from Hatterene, any other hard hitting mon will likely end up breaking a hole in the opponent's team that otherwise wouldn't be possible without Future Sight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)