Hazards Galore

Hello, this is my second RMT here at Smogon. After playing around with some wall combinations, I found the trio I like most : Gliscor, Tentacruel, and Ferrothorn. I wanted to build some kind of team around them, and this is how I did it!

Team At A Glance :

Hazards Galore!

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 228 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Yawn/Protect/Roar

My Stealth Rock Lead, which changes a lot. Stealth Rock is my main priority here, and I don't mind losing Swampert early-game as long as he gets it up. Earthquake and Waterfall are for coverage and STAB. The last move changes a lot. Yawn if I feel like rendering someone useless, Protect for scouting and Explosion protection (it's like 4th Gen all over again), or Roar if I want to bring Swampert back in late-game to rack up hazards damage. I also switch this lead with two others, who I will explain below.

Synergy :
: Ferrothorn, Dragonite

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Lava Plume

Sp. Def 'Tran. Get a Sub up, spread the Toxic, and get up the Rocks. Lava Plume's high burn rate helps on the physical side, too.

Synergy :
: Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, Dragonite
: Gliscor, Gengar, Dragonite
: Gliscor, Tentacruel, Gengar, Dragonite

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion

An offensive but still bulky Rocks lead. I normally use those moves in the order they are listed. Not much else to be said besides I can't remember a time when I didn't get Rocks up with this.

Synergy :
: Tentacruel, Dragonite
: Air Balloon, Gliscor, Gengar, Dragonite

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

I'll switch this guy in when I predict a Grass move on Swampy or whenever I see something that I know isn't a threat. I normally Sub for my first move, then Seed the opponent that gets switched in. If they break the Sub, great for them; they're Seeded. Then I can just switch to something that the opponent poses no threat to. Sometimes I won't Seed when I know I need to get the Spikes up, and I almost always get at least 2 layers of Spikes up. This guy also has great type synergy with my other two walls.

Synergy :
: Swampert, Tentacruel, Dragonite
: Gliscor, Tentacruel, Gengar, Dragonite

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

Ah, Gliscor. My Taunt man. My physical wall. My physical somewhat-sweeper. EVs for maximum bulk while adding on some extra Speed. Taunt shuts down those other pesky walls I come across. Most of the time I just switch him in on a physical attack and watch my opponent rage. If I know my opponent still has some special attackers left, I'll Taunt on the switch just in case, then switch out. If not, then I'll Swords Dance, maybe twice, and prepare to sweep if possible.

Synergy :
: Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, Dragonite
: Tentacruel

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SAtk / 240 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Venoshock

Tentacruel, my favorite Special wall. Adds the Toxic Spikes, Spins if needed, and can spread the Scald burns. Also, if he's in on an already Poisoned enemy, Venoshock them! Tentacruel makes a good partner for Gliscor and Ferrothorn because if all hazards are up, I can switch between the 3 with correct prediction and just resist/tank all hits while the Toxic and Hazards damage racks up!

Synergy :
: Swampert, Ferrothorn, Gliscor
: Gliscor, Gengar, Dragonite
: Ferrothorn

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gengar! The original ghostie functions as a Spinblocker, a revenge killer, and an annoyer. SubDisable throws people who don't expect it into a rage, and STAB Shadow Ball combined with Focus Blast is perfect neutral coverage! As the name of this team is "Hazards Galore", a Spinblocker is a natural choice, and I think I chose the best possible one for this team.

Synergy :

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Dragon Tail

ParaShuffle Dragonite FTW! Multiscale give this guy unbelievable bulk, and SubRoost allows him to survive even longer! Since enemies who aren't affected by TSpikes are fairly common, Dragonite's here to spread Paralysis through the team! Hiding behind a Sub with this amazing bulk, Dragon Tail racks up all the Hazard damage as well as doing some damage of its own!

Synergy :
: Tentacruel
: Swampert, Ferrothorn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good things about "Hazards Galore"

- Has all hazards
- Has a SpinBlocker
- Has a Rapid Spinner
- Only one Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock
- Only one Pokemon affected by Toxic Spikes (and it's the lead)
- Has a defensive core that resist's each other's weaknesses.
- Uses 4 status conditions : Sleep, Poison, Burn, Paralysis
- Has 2 phazing moves for set-up sweepers and Hazard damage
- Has Taunt to shut down other walls
- Revenge killer has perfect neutral coverage using only two moves

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's my team. This team does amazingly well for me considering I've always been a heavy-offense guy up until a week ago. I'm open to all suggestions, comments, criticism, rates, etc. I want to make this one of my best teams ever! :D

Team At A Final Glance :

Thanks for reading!

-JC

Thanks LolCat, I was probably thinking something along the lines of "Oh its a Water-Type, DURR. It's gotta resist water!" :naughty:

I like this team, I hate hazard teams. However, your choice of gengar seems a little odd. While sub-disable gengar is a good annoyer, he seems kind of fragile to be a dedicated spin-blocker, and having a spinblocker with good survivability seems pretty important to your team. I don't play hazards though, so my opinion is probably flawed.

I just know the spinblocker that annoys me the most is jellicent.

Cool team

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Decent team. Gengar is way to frail to spin block for the whole battle. I recommend Jellicent. Jellicent @ Leftovers | Bold | Scald / Surf | Will-O-Wisp | Recover | Taunt | evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe |. Jellicent has Taunt and recovery move, which are great tools for a spin blocker.

I you do decide use Jellicent I recommend you ditch Swampert for Heatran permanently. With Jellicent and Heatan, you'll have a nice deffenive core going, as they cover each others weaknesses nicely. Plus they're oppositly deffensive orriantated. Also Ferrothorn is great Flash fire bait for Tran.

gl

Decent team. Gengar is way to frail to spin block for the whole battle. I recommend Jellicent. Jellicent @ Leftovers | Bold | Scald / Surf | Will-O-Wisp | Recover | Taunt | evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe |. Jellicent has Taunt and recovery move, which are great tools for a spin blocker.

I you do decide use Jellicent I recommend you ditch Swampert for Heatran permanently. With Jellicent and Heatan, you'll have a nice deffenive core going, as they cover each others weaknesses nicely. Plus they're oppositly deffensive orriantated. Also Ferrothorn is great Flash fire bait for Tran.

gl
Hello, my GameFAQs frenemy ^_^

Since I don't see Spinners that often and I can normally handle them with a move from Gengar, I'm kind of on the edge of this decision. Maybe what I'll do is have one version with Swampert + Gengar, and one with Heatran + Jellicent? I'm not sure >__>

Oh, and Surf and Scald on the same set? Call me crazy but I don't really see the point in that :P

EDIT : oh my bad, didn't realize it was a slash >__>

Yeah gengar needs to be jellicent. I would recommend forretress over ferrothorn with rocks and spikes and then put a calm mind latias with calm mind/recover/roar/dragon pulse for late game cleaning up and phasing over swampert

Yeah gengar needs to be jellicent. I would recommend forretress over ferrothorn with rocks and spikes and then put a calm mind latias with calm mind/recover/roar/dragon pulse for late game cleaning up and phasing over swampert
I appreciate the ideas but I'd like to know reasons why I should. I made the switch to Heatran and Jellicent, but I think the rest of the team has been pulling weight.

Well, there's a few reason in doing that. Firstly, replacing Gengar with Jellicent is because Gengar is too fragile to spinblock for the whole match. It will probably die before you execute your master plan or something then all your hazards are spun away, which isn't good. Of course, there are two options. 1) Go with Jellicent. 2) Go with Eviolite Dusclops.

I mean, Jellicent is a good choice because it's speed is decent and can at least Taunt some shit while Dusclops is nothing but a Taunt bait sometimes. But there's one very, very important thing when deciding on which one to choose. Their defenses. I can swear, Dusclops's defenses are MONSTROUS when equipped with an Eviolite. Absolutely ridiculous. But the low HP hinders it a bit. Jellicent ain't that bulky so you are not tanking things much. Other people might disagree but I tried Jellicent and I find that it isn't even that bulky like everybody said.

Replacing Dragonite with Calm Mind Latias is also a choice if you want to clean up late-game after they are weakned by your hazards. Of course, there are too, advantages of keeping Dragonite. Such as, ParaShuffling and most imporantly, Multi-Scale. But then it's easily broken by SR anyway.

I have a suggestion. Try Skarmory over Ferrothorn and see how it goes. Because if Dragonite is down, you have no other real way to phaze. But of course, adding Skarmory will add to the amount of weakness you have, for example, Electric, Fire...But it's pretty much covered by your team mates so I am suggesting this. It can wall some of the important threats such as Excadrill, Haxorus(not so much if it's CB and using Outrage).

Hope I helped a little! :D

Swampert is really there just to set up rocks and he is physically defensive when you already have two physically capable pokemon, I ran calm mind latias with roar and it cleans up excellently late game when stuff is weakened late game, also is a great special wall with phasing as well, forretress has the advantage of all entry hazards in the game a long with rapid spinning allowing you to switch all the time which stall teams need, he also has sturdy with pain split or earthquake letting you not be magnezone fodder

i Dont like the stall, but this team is nice. Only a comment. Change Gengar 4 other gosht type pokemon, 4 example Jelicent, but all off the team its nice, Congrats ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)