Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

RODAN

Banned deucer.
yea idk what happened i have a screenshot from when i was at 10 wins though

+ dread infernal + 2 watchers + toshley

also i pulled toshley after this which was pretty funny

Last edited:
Jeez guys try to contain your excitement for the new Tavern Brawl, dont wanna flood the Smogon servers too much

But for real tho it sucks ass. Used it for some quick quests and now I'm finished with it. When are we getting a Brawl that actually rewards smart deckbuilding? Everyone thought there would be stuff like "only even attack minions" and shit like that, not RNGfests and premade decks

yea i've played like five games and now i'm bored with it lol, kept getting luckfucked with my opponents getting tons of gahzrillas and maexxnas. somehow only saw one krush in all my games and it was mine. hyenas are busted as shit too.

also i rly liked the first brawl. i'd like more like that one.

yea i've played like five games and now i'm bored with it lol, kept getting luckfucked with my opponents getting tons of gahzrillas and maexxnas. somehow only saw one krush in all my games and it was mine. hyenas are busted as shit too.

also i rly liked the first brawl. i'd like more like that one.
That was certainly the best of the three, but I don't see Blizzard being able to make a whole bunch of Brawls like that. There was, what, twenty or so completely original cards they had to make just for that five-day-long event? That's definitely not an easy task. It's just frustrating because there are tons of things they could program effortlessly that people would enjoy much more than Banana Orgies and RNGSpiders. Like how cool would a '2 mana crystals per turn' mode be, for example?

Ben Brode did say he wanted this game to be mostly about trading minions. I don't think these last couple brawls were good examples though.

Anyways, that pack was actually really hard to get. I lost several battles to things like double Gahz'rilla + Whirlwind and Hyena + Unleash. The game I won I got four Malorne. Fuck this brawl.

My match was even more boring, my hunter against his warlock. Put the pressure on, let him make the trades, and beast RNG didn't even matter.

I'm ok with preset decks because if it's a quick thing I'm gonna do for fun I don't want to deal with building a deck every time I go in. I kind of wish in the banana brawl we got to use our own decks as an option, but whatever.

Bottom line is, this isn't exactly competitive, and I'm not seeing the motivation to play beyond the first pack. It's fun enough as a diversion though.

Who here is a fan of Patron Warrior and plays it at a high level? What are your decklists?

Here's the list I'm currently using for my legend run:

Currently pulling a 76.5% winrate with this so far in July. Obviously the core is the same as every other Patron list but I'm running things like Commanding Shout and Shield Block, both of which I have found to be extremely powerful in certain matchups. I'm also a fan of getting Grommash in there, I know some people have been cutting him lately.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ALL GOLD PATRON PLAYER OVER HERE

In reality I don't like the decks with Grom as they feel clunky and bursting over ten damage with a few more cards is well worth the wait. I disagree with the Commanding Shout / Block simply because cycle that doesn't actually do anything isn't very good. Yes, you can combo Shout with a sweet Patron combo, but you could've basically had a similar, or better board, with the second Inner Rage. Two IR means I can burn one on an Acolyte if need be to activate a better Battle Rage or to trade more favorably.

Six whirlwind effects means that I can use them to more easily maintain the board without having to worry about my Patron's not having an activator. I also don't like Corsair over a second Ghoul for that same reason.

My play with Patron has gotten a lot better, once you figure out how to calculate damage quickly it's pretty trivial if you can queue up the animations fast enough / know what you need to trade into to get lethal.

In the same regard I've been practicing with a lot of classes that I've sort of dropped the ball on lately. Malygos Warlock is probably one of the strongest decks in the game, on par with the Patron Warrior. It's a cool deck with a lot of variants but here is the list I'm running:

Subbed out a Chow for an Ooze since Patron is everywhere and Hunter still hates losing its Bow more than anything. Otherwise this list is pretty much "the norm" unless you are running the double BGH and Abusive version that I did not have much success with.

Last edited:
Is it common for Freeze Mage decks to go down to fatigue? I play one currently with no Antonidas and I find myself needing to use all my spells to win.

I've only lost 1 out of about 6 matches using this "budget" freeze mage deck. That's not saying much since I'm only around rank 15 currently but this budget version has done me good. I'll post deck list in a sec, I would like some replacement recommendations.

Ice Lance 2x
Frostbolt 2x
Explosive Sheep 2x
Loot Hoarder 2x
Mad Scientist 2x
Arcane Intellect 2x
Frost Nova 2x
Ice Barrier 2x
Ice Block 1x
Acolyte of Pain 2x
Cone of Cold 1x
Fireball 2x
Antique Healbot 2x
Blizzard 2x
Emperor Thaurissan
Flamestrike 2x
Pyroblast 1x

I would get rid of the healbots but I find to often I need them since I don't have the best removal methods(no doomsayers, only sheeps). Any replacement cards you guys recommend? I have a king mukla I'm more then willing to dust.

Last edited:
Is it common for Freeze Mage decks to go down to fatigue? I play one currently with no Antonidas and I find myself needing to use all my spells to win.

I've only lost 1 out of about 6 matches using this "budget" freeze mage deck. That's not saying much since I'm only around rank 15 currently but this budget version has done me good. I'll post deck list in a sec, I would like some replacement recommendations.
Back in the old days, I believe Freeze Mage commonly went down to their last few cards in control matchups, but nowadays the amount of heal in every deck (literally everyone except priest and warrior runs healbot and even at rank 12-ish I've seen some healbot priests) has basically necessitated the use of Antonidas. That and you can't really afford to wait for Alexstrasza anymore with all the aggro out there (hello Mech Mage).

That said, with the amount of heal seen on non-aggro decks it is definitely not uncommon nowadays to go to fatigue every game with Freeze Mage.

Also, in my own ladder experience, it seems Bloodlust Shaman is the fastest way to climb ladder. Fuck Face Hunter, fuck Patron Warrior, nobody (or at least, nobody at rank ~11-10) knows how to play against a Shaman. I have a 100% winrate against Control Warrior so far (though I've seen like 4 mid-budget ones so ehhhhh), and it does really well against Priest (a common ladder grinding class), decent against hunters (Taunt totems! also Argused Eggs and Bloodlust allows you to out-race him), and can burst down a lot of slow decks. Also Earth Shock beats Handlock (though I have yet to see one).

Coolbiz, the most important card for you to get is Alexstraza for Freeze Mage, followed by second Ice Block, followed by Doomsayers, followed by Thalnos, followed by Antonidas.

In reality I don't like the decks with Grom as they feel clunky and bursting over ten damage with a few more cards is well worth the wait. I disagree with the Commanding Shout / Block simply because cycle that doesn't actually do anything isn't very good. Yes, you can combo Shout with a sweet Patron combo, but you could've basically had a similar, or better board, with the second Inner Rage. Two IR means I can burn one on an Acolyte if need be to activate a better Battle Rage or to trade more favorably.

Six whirlwind effects means that I can use them to more easily maintain the board without having to worry about my Patron's not having an activator. I also don't like Corsair over a second Ghoul for that same reason.

My play with Patron has gotten a lot better, once you figure out how to calculate damage quickly it's pretty trivial if you can queue up the animations fast enough / know what you need to trade into to get lethal.
Interesting ideas. What I love so much about Patron is that there are SO many viable combinations of cards you can run outside of the core.

The Grom and Commanding Shout are tech choices honestly, they are good against decks that are generally mediocre matchups for Patron. Sometimes Handlock is an auto-lose, but if you have that Shout in there you can do things like take out two taunted Giants and still have an enormous board that they need Hellfire/Shadowflame for. And then Grom is just great against any Control deck, and I kind of feel he adds some more consistency in slow matchups over just another combo piece. I chalk it up to playstyle and what you're facing, and the vast majority of what I'm facing on ladder right now is stuff like Zoo, Handlock, Control Warriors, Tempo Mages, etc.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Damn, that's a fast Legend. Why do people tend to run two Roar and one Force in midrange Druid anyway? I always thought trees were much better standalone than Roar, which not-infrequently can end up being a three-mana Claw that doesn't give you Armor.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
with minions like shredder, shade, belcher, and sylvanas, it's very easy for druids to have multiple bodies to activate savage roar for that win condition without ever drawing trees, it also combos well with swipe, keeper, or a charging dotc for reach, and if you get enough time, trees + innervate + double roar is 22 dmg from an empty board

Yeah, basically what Fatecrashers said. FoN is a crappy value spell that you're sad to play unless it actually kills your opponent. At best it can be like a 6 mana consecration, but Savage Roar can easily be 8 or even 10 damage without FoN if you build up a board. And double FoN is clunky, while double Savage Roar is twice as powerful because you can cast both in one turn. Basically Savage Roar is the more threatening part of the combo, and you don't need FoN if you have board control.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is the best brawl, by far. Nef vs Rag was ok, taste banana just reinforced already excellent decks, webspinner brawl was HORRIBLE cause RNG is ass, and this one is just enough RNG / skill / kills current decks.

This is the kind of brawl I've been waiting for. Play druid, coin mark of the wild is the best opening play in the game.

Agree that it's the best Brawl by a mile. Hell they could make this a permanent game mode and I'd probably play it every now and then even months later. First Brawl I can say that about

I don't know anything, but I say keep it because it could be fun at some point. I say don't dust a non golden legendary unless you have multiples.

I can tell you right now there are some legends that you for sure dust, I've had the privilege of dusting a Mekgineer Thermaplug, Mogor the Ogre, and a Golden The Beast. Some legends are really bad, don't think just because they hold the title of legend that their not dustable.

If you're still missing any significant number of cards that can commonly be used in top tier decks of a certain archetype, or class staples like Antonidas or Tirion, I say dust it. Deathwing is incredibly frail when stacked up against other bombs, wiping the board is easier in other classes and in that scenario you often get to repopulate it just as a fast with something stickier. At 10 mana you die from the hand pretty often as well (Freeze Mage burn, Druid Combo, Patron warrior one billion damage, etc...) and you can can get repopulated on pretty fast if they didn't just overextend into it. Even in that case, most decks, aggressive and control alike, don't suffer from a strict board wipe as hard as they used to. If it doesn't have deathrattle, it already got it's advantage out there, cause that's a design in Hearthstone that consistently generates good cards. The last thing you may use it for is dragon deck synergy, but depending on the deck you can get away with Alextrasza, Ysera, and/or Nefarian on the top end, and failing that I'd probably play Chrommaggus and Malygos over it.

tldr dust it unless you're going for completion. You can find another card to play over it for any niche you're thinking of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)