Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol, changes that certainly mean very little. I love Team 5's commitment to basically doing nothing

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nah, it's a pretty big deal since Buc is probably unplayable now which then compromises decks' ability to play Patches. This is about as impactful as it gets for only nerfing 2 cards, and it does make sense to want to nerf as few cards as possible because some people will undoubtedly bitch and moan if cards change.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I wouldn't call 3/1 Skilltime Skillaneer unplayable, as it's still above-curve if not less attractive than a Flame Imp analog, and you still need pirates to enable Patches which remains a power card. The worst it will do is get replaced in some decks by Southsea Deckhand, where the player didn't already run both anyway, while providing much more meaningful counterplay because now it's pingable, Priest can clear Buck/Patches with Potion of Madness now, etc. Spirit Claws I'm not convinced was a big issue but it's too strong anyway and deserves a nerf.

It's not like Blizzard could do anything to Patches to weaken him short of completely changing his effect. I'm not convinced any other card is a major issue. There's a minor issue with Trogg/Totem Golem/fourmanasevenseven but I don't think they push beyond the boundary of "top-tier class card" ala Mana Wyrm and friends. Changing even one of those cards would impact the viability of all of them, as they synergize with each other, while changing all of them is unreasonable. Spirit Claws is standalone "too strong" and is thus easier to nerf without hurting anyone. Trogg/Golem also rotate out of Standard soon anyway, so they're likely not on Blizzard's radar.

I think they got it right for once... shoulda nerfed 0mana55taunt while they were at it too though

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Re: correct nerfs, fuck no, they are retarded nerfs. Nerf Kazamakus and fucking Jade Idol and actual control decks, that aren't Reno, can have a chance to thrive in the metagame. Those two cards are such a hindrance to building anything that wants to control board.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20475356

New xpac along with some evergreen being rotated out. I think these cards (with the exception of Ice Lance) were heavily over played or made it so you couldn't actually do anything (Conceal). Sylvanas either dominating the board by herself or Rag taking that %25 for lethal has probably played its course. Azure Drake has been a staple in basically, at least, one deck for every metagame, let's explore five drops a bit more, eh?

Reactions: Ary

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Well they're correct insofar as toning down the ubiquity of Pirate-based openers and slowing the ridiculous speed and consistency at which aggressive version of those decks (i.e. face Warrior and aggro Shaman, not midrange Shaman or Miracle Rogue) operate. If you wanna argue beyond that... yeah sure, maybe. We'll see I guess.

Kazakus will be metered by Reno leaving Standard. While I believe Kazakus is the stronger highlander card anyway and these type of decks will persist in a post-Reno world (obviously not the non-Pr/Ma/Wl versions though), it's rather obvious to state that highlander decks will be weakened by building around only one power card as opposed to two. Jade Idol? There's a level to which I agree, but I'd wager that card does no more to quash fatigue-style (heavy removal, few threats) control strategies anymore than Old Gods did. A classic control deck that actually plays strong, standalone threats on their top end like old Control Warrior with Rag, Alex, Ysera and whatnot can still put up a fight by pressuring the Druid before they reach the end of their deck and start pumping out Jade Golems that eventually out-big even Deathwing. The only thing Jade Idol brings to the table that N'Zoth and C'Thun didn't already is that it automatically beats mill decks... can't say I'm shedding many tears over that. It's not like throwing a singleton Jade Idol in any non-Jade Druid deck really does much to beat control decks, it still only works in an actual Jade deck or something like my cycle-based deck specifically designed to abuse the card as otherwise the Golems grow too slowly.

And... hoo boy Classic card rotations. Azure Drake honestly isn't even that good if you're not abusing the spell damage. 4 HP just lines up really poorly with a lot of cheaper removal, especially from classes with pinging hero powers. The fact that you see it a lot in decks like Dragon Warrior or Dragon Priest, where it's by all means a subpar card that is mostly just used to activate stronger cards and only gets played if you have nothing else to do with five mana, says it all. We've just been fairly consistently starved for good five-mana minions in Hearthstone's history.

Sylvanas and Rag, oof. I hope they have some good replacements coming for control decks there. Ysera notably stays though. PO, Ice Lance, what? Conceal good fuck you Rogue you uninteractive broken piece of shit class.

Blizzard said:
Up to the maximum number of cards you could put in a deck, we will give you the full dust value of any cards you have that are being added to the Hall of Fame set. (Yes, that means if you have at least one Golden Ragnaros, you'll get 3200 dust!) The dust will be automatically awarded upon log-in once the Year of the Mammoth begins.
everyone craft their 100% free golden rag/sylv/azure drakes yo

if you have that much dust banked up fuck

Last edited:
No more adventures.

Good bye hearthstone.
they're producing PvE content for the 3 full card expansions, while not making it mandatory to use the cards they released. If you're keeping up with all the Hearthstone expansions anyways, this is great news b/c the metagame will not stagnate mid-year, which was especially prevalent in 2016 (karazhan's meta being largely similar to WOTOG's minus the dominance of MR shaman).

Matthew

ONiK made mr shaman meta which was already the second best deck (in fact shaman will have been dominant for 300 days* once the new xpac releases).

*shaman in general

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
away for less than a year and half this shit sounds greek to me. good to see people still hating on roguespam and aggro; some things never change I guess.

Might be too little too late as far as winning me back.

Most of those changes are very good. The only one I don't like is Ice Lance since it severely nerfs one of the few archetypes where you don't play curvestone in Freeze Mage BUT this situation usually means there is a card that will be introduced in an upcoming set (hopefully the very next one) that would've made Freeze Mage "broken" if Ice Lance stayed around. I'll reserve judgement.

I've been enjoying the Eternal card game way too much still for the past several months. Maybe it's a honeymoon phase...but this is one hell of a long honeymoon if it is (been playing since I got in end of closed beta in October). I said I would eventually come back to this game but...I dunno. That's becoming less and less likely as the days go by lol.

i have no idea why finja pirate warrior is working. like i do (it's pirate warrior and finja is nuts) but like uh.... it really opened me up to how insane finja is as a tempo card if you nab warleader + bluegill, and you can pull off a warleader + finley/bluegill off enough that you don't flop without it.

also i played pavel on ladder and lost :^(

Matthew

It's easy to dislike brode because he can't handle his game. He's a living meme, sure, that doesn't get him a free ticket

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
A good chunk of what makes Highlander* decks viable, beyond the two power cards currently pushing the archetype in the first place, is that a lot of different cards kinda mostly do the same thing anyway (or at least accomplish the same thing because there's usually more than one way to skin a cat in HS). Occasionally they're worse, Shadowbolt isn't a great card by any means for example, but most of the time they get the job done equally well. When they don't should be made up for by times where nonstandard cards actually pay off, as you have more overall options available to you, and the extreme power level of Reno/Kazakus. Plus Hearthstone decks aren't that large anyway and, specific to Warlock, Life Tap is OP.

I actually didn't hit a single mirror match, I would have left out Rat/MCT if I could've known, but you need at least one of Rat/MCT combo or Leeroy/Faceless combo not to punt the mirror. (The latter to beat Jaraxxus, the former to pull the opponent's combo so you can win via Jaraxxus yourself, or pull Kazakus and win on the board.) I've never liked playing with MCT, it's not really a condition you want fulfilled and its unreliable when you really need it. Rat is actually not terrible on its own though; fast decks are unlikely to have the meat in hand that makes the Battlecry regretable and empty their hand onto the board fast enough that sometimes it's just a ridiculously undercosted card anyway, slow decks it disrupts by pulling out situational minions being held back. Alchemist is my pet ladder card but it's not really useful beyond sniping nonbasic totems and I only hit two Shaman (one of which dunked me at 10-0 with a nut draw), although I did set up a sick 4/8 Mountain Giant versus the final boss Priest.

sup pokepals. hunter is busted in new arena, just ripped a casual 12-0 on EU

http://imgur.com/a/AHPEE

awards were like 490-ish gold + pack, 12-0 screenshot got sniped by hs deck tracker's award tracker popup thing.

1s are busted, 2s are super busted, and taunt is cheat bc then they can't take value trades. call of the wild also busted. i'll literally take any decent 1 or 2 in most non-priest/mage classes over everything but the most premium 5+ drops. i'd rather have brave archer than boulderfist most of the time for instance. almost nobody curves out so it makes your curve plays even stronger.

edit: oh ya i can screenshot deck tracker

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
They've been slowly revealing this Paladin Quest reward and we're down to a 5/5/5 beast so far (which is p garbo)

I bet it's gunna end up having some dumb effect like Battlecry: Adapt your Hero Power 5 times.

Compared to a priest card which gives u reno+10 health and a bigass Taunt it looks like Paladins goin on the sidelines again lmao

Matthew

The paladin quest legend was revealed to be Battlecry: adapt five times, still unsure of what the quest is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)