Heracross (M) @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Rock Blast

SubDance Hera, can be very good in a sticky offense, but also in a classic offense.
Why would you run CC over Focus Punch? I've gotta ask.

You don't always have the luxury of having a sub up with Hera, so CC is used so you can actually attack.
If that's the case, Hera isn't in a position he wants to be in anyways, thus wanting to switch out. I get the point you're trying to make, but if he's not behind a sub, it's because something on the other end is about to take it out.

If that's the case, Hera isn't in a position he wants to be in anyways, thus wanting to switch out. I get the point you're trying to make, but if he's not behind a sub, it's because something on the other end is about to take it out.
There's also pokemon that you would like CC against that you're faster than, but can't hit because you have focus punch. And they may be able to do just enough to take out your subs.

I think if you're going to run a sub set with SD, it's preferable to run CC over FP. The most common situations I encounter while using sub heracross is that I get the sub off when the opponent switches out into a mon with higher speed and can take down the sub. If you go for the SD boost, it's more than likely that the opponent breaks the sub and now the only move you're left with to attack reliably is Rock Blast.

IMO MegaHera is incredibly similar to Mega Mawile in that they both are high powered wallbreakers that have great SD and Sub sets.

I feel that if you're running a sub set, the best is Sub + 3 moves. This set allows Mega Hera to be much more useful against offensive teams. Mega Hera has such a high attack that he can absolutely destroy opponents without a boost. Also, running sub + SD requires two turns that I find much harder to pull off. This is mostly because the majority of teams I face are offensive teams where extra turns are hard to come by.

I think if you're going to run a sub set with SD, it's preferable to run CC over FP. The most common situations I encounter while using sub heracross is that I get the sub off when the opponent switches out into a mon with higher speed and can take down the sub. If you go for the SD boost, it's more than likely that the opponent breaks the sub and now the only move you're left with to attack reliably is Rock Blast.

IMO MegaHera is incredibly similar to Mega Mawile in that they both are high powered wallbreakers that have great SD and Sub sets.

I feel that if you're running a sub set, the best is Sub + 3 moves. This set allows Mega Hera to be much more useful against offensive teams. Mega Hera has such a high attack that he can absolutely destroy opponents without a boost. Also, running sub + SD requires two turns that I find much harder to pull off. This is mostly because the majority of teams I face are offensive teams where extra turns are hard to come by.
Wow, nice observation on my part. I didn't even realize it was a Sub + SD set. It's not just Offensive teams either. I think the only place a SubSD Hera could get away with fully setting up is against Stall, in other words, a playstyle in which it doesn't need to set both up anyways. I was thinking it was Sub + 3 Attacks for whatever reason. That was an oops on my part.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Wow, nice observation on my part. I didn't even realize it was a Sub + SD set. It's not just Offensive teams either. I think the only place a SubSD Hera could get away with fully setting up is against Stall, in other words, a playstyle in which it doesn't need to set both up anyways. I was thinking it was Sub + 3 Attacks for whatever reason. That was an oops on my part.
Yeah for the most part it's pretty hard to get both up unless you forced some switches or you basically won the match already. It's mostly a good set because it gives it a better matchup against offense while having the option to wallbreak some slower threats if necessary. Blocking burns is always nice as well.

Yeah for the most part it's pretty hard to get both up unless you forced some switches or you basically won the match already. It's mostly a good set because it gives it a better matchup against offense while having the option to wallbreak some slower threats if necessary. Blocking burns is always nice as well.
Fact is that there is also an option to just not MegaEvolve your Heracross and let it take burn if you run Guts. With Guts on it will hit harder then MegaHeracross anyway and after this your opponents may end up in a world of pain. While Sub + 3 attacks MegaHeracross is good, there is also an option of running additional attack (or just Swords Dance) and just not mega evolve it and take the burn. Plus higher base speed of normal Heracross may come in handy as well. In other words I don't think substitute is that neccesary on MegaHeracross as you may deal with status just by not evolving and turning opponents status against him plus both basic and mega forms have decent bulk anyway with interesting typing to match up. Although on other hand substitute may help out with those nasty flying priorities from Talonflame and MegaPinsir, so I guess there are some good reasons to run substitute. In other words your personal call ;).

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Fact is that there is also an option to just not MegaEvolve your Heracross and let it take burn if you run Guts. With Guts on it will hit harder then MegaHeracross anyway and after this your opponents may end up in a world of pain. While Sub + 3 attacks MegaHeracross is good, there is also an option of running additional attack (or just Swords Dance) and just not mega evolve it and take the burn. Plus higher base speed of normal Heracross may come in handy as well. In other words I don't think substitute is that neccesary on MegaHeracross as you may deal with status just by not evolving and turning opponents status against him plus both basic and mega forms have decent bulk anyway with interesting typing to match up. Although on other hand substitute may help out with those nasty flying priorities from Talonflame and MegaPinsir, so I guess there are some good reasons to run substitute. In other words your personal call ;).
As far as the whole Guts things go, that's an immediate answer to things like Rotom-W or status inflicters in general. One of the issues ends up being long term if you don't have clerical support which is fine if you have something like Healing Wish Latias but an over dependancy with that can be a burden more than a benefit at times. I use Guts all the time anyways cause there has never been a single instance to benefit from Moxie, where like you said, I utilize Guts to spam boosted attack moves like Close Combat. Everything else I agree with though.

Fact is that there is also on to just not MegaEvolve your Heracross and let it take burn if you run Guts. With Guts on it will hit harder then MegaHeracross anyway and after this your opponents may end up in a world of pain. While Sub + 3 attacks MegaHeracross is good, there is also an option of running additional attack (or just Swords Dance) and just not mega evolve it and take the burn. Plus higher base speed of normal Heracross may come in handy as well. In other words I don't think substitute is that neccesary on MegaHeracross as you may deal with status just by not evolving and turning opponents status against him plus both basic and mega forms have decent bulk anyway with interesting typing to match up. Although on other hand substitute may help out with those nasty flying priorities from Talonflame and MegaPinsir, so I guess there are some good reasons to run substitute. In other words your personal call ;).
I agreee on this, but one should also consider that unmegaevolved Heracross can't abuse 5 hit moves, pretty much forcing it to try a sweep with only Close Combat and other ~75 BP moves. While I agree that Guts is the superior ability in mega sets, i'm also pretty sure that you shouldn't mega evolve only if you get burned.

With Mega Heracross as popular as it is, anybody think regular scarf Heracross might be a bit more viable now? I'm noticing it pairs well with Mega Gyarados for resisting Bug, Fighting and Grass moves. The mindgames would be pretty decent, and Guts Heracross can take advantage of pokemon that try to burn Gyarados like Rotom-W and then wreck havoc with a fast and boosted Close Combat or Megahorn. With Heracross as a status safety insurance, this could allow Gyarados to get better coverage and forgo Taunt or Substitute. Scarf Heracross is also obviously a great check to DD Mega Tyranitar and Gyarados, outspeeding both even with an Adamant nature. I haven't put this to practice yet as it's something I just noticed, but it's something I think that could be worth exploring further. It would also make a great Sleep absorber putting Rest Talk as one of your moves which Scarf Heracross would have space for.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
With Mega Heracross as popular as it is, anybody think regular scarf Heracross might be a bit more viable now? I'm noticing it pairs well with Mega Gyarados for resisting Bug, Fighting and Grass moves. The mindgames would be pretty decent, and Guts Heracross can take advantage of pokemon that try to burn Gyarados like Rotom-W and then wreck havoc with a fast and boosted Close Combat or Megahorn. With Heracross as a status safety insurance, this could allow Gyarados to get better coverage and forgo Taunt or Substitute. Scarf Heracross is also obviously a great check to DD Mega Tyranitar and Gyarados, outspeeding both even with an Adamant nature. I haven't put this to practice yet as it's something I just noticed, but it's something I think that could be worth exploring further. It would also make a great Sleep absorber putting Rest Talk as one of your moves which Scarf Heracross would have space for.
Fairies are a bit of an issue since they resist both of your STABs, but I can see a Scarf set working. Close Combat | Megahorn | Knock Off | Stone Edge/Earthquake would probably be your best bet for a Scarf set, with Moxie for Snowballing or Guts to fuck up Rotom-W.

I've been using Scarf Heracross in OU recently to a surprising amount of success. It can RK quite a few things, and it can be a good status absorber with Guts. It also has a decent Scarf tier, though it's not outstanding. Also, as was mentioned earlier, mind games when paired with Scizor, Gyara or TTar are fun. Overall not a terrible option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)