Hidden Type

I can't believe I overlooked Ghost/Poison/Dark Levitate Gengar. Too bad it's not bulky. The OP already mentions Fire/Grass Ninetales. I think Fighting/Dark Conkeldurr (Guts, Assault Vest) will be a huge threat. Steel/Grass/Water Ferrothorn is also solid, with the 4x weakness to Fire taken care of (Since it's already Grass, the Electric and Grass Weakness are neutralized). Stall teams have to watch out for all the additional/unexpected STABs. But they have the stronger hand here since there's no guessing what type they're carrying. At least with Offense, you can make a rough/reasonable guess.

I can't believe I overlooked Ghost/Poison/Dark Levitate Gengar. Too bad it's not bulky. The OP already mentions Fire/Grass Ninetales. I think Fighting/Dark Conkeldurr (Guts, Assault Vest) will be a huge threat. Steel/Grass/Water Ferrothorn is also solid, with the 4x weakness to Fire taken care of (Since it's already Grass, the Electric and Grass Weakness are neutralized). Stall teams have to watch out for all the additional/unexpected STABs. But they have the stronger hand here since there's no guessing what type they're carrying. At least with Offense, you can make a rough/reasonable guess.
Actually for a lot of stall mons you can guess rather accurately what their type will be such as ghost chansey, steel clefable/togekiss, etc.

I got all excited at Malamar until it occurred to me that A: adding Fighting makes it doubly weak to Fairy, no thanks and B: if you're using Malamar it's probably obvious that you went for Fighting.

A really horrifying combination I've worked out is adding Steel to Dragonite. (Or any other Dragon/Flying, but Dragonite gets Multiscale) It has one weakness, to Ice, and it's only a single tier of weakness. And Dragonite has Iron Head and reason to use it anyway.

Or you could add Dragon to Skarmory to get the same result, but I don't see the appeal of that.

I got all excited at Malamar until it occurred to me that A: adding Fighting makes it doubly weak to Fairy, no thanks and B: if you're using Malamar it's probably obvious that you went for Fighting.

A really horrifying combination I've worked out is adding Steel to Dragonite. (Or any other Dragon/Flying, but Dragonite gets Multiscale) It has one weakness, to Ice, and it's only a single tier of weakness. And Dragonite has Iron Head and reason to use it anyway.

Or you could add Dragon to Skarmory to get the same result, but I don't see the appeal of that.
Adding fairy to Skarm would probably be a better Idea(or maybe even water)

... but Fairy doesn't cover its Fire or Electric weaknesses (Or indeed add any particular utility at all beyond Dark resistance) and Water gives it a double Electric weakness. Why would you do either of those? It's not like it even has STAB moves to care.

... but Fairy doesn't cover its Fire or Electric weaknesses (Or indeed add any particular utility at all beyond Dark resistance) and Water gives it a double Electric weakness. Why would you do either of those? It's not like it even has STAB moves to care.
I hadn't thought much about the water type added to it but fairy also provides it with fighting type resistance

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I hadn't thought much about the water type added to it but fairy also provides it with fighting type resistance
the electric and fire resistance is much more useful imo so yeah...tbh if you add a type to skarm, not having a fire and elecric resistance is unacceptable

Landorus-T with Flying/Ground/Rock could be pretty good

DD Mega T-tar with EdgeQuake could be pretty damn dangerous.

What would be Talonflames best typing? so far Im looking at Flying/Fire/Steel But im unsure

Landorus-T with Flying/Ground/Rock could be pretty good

DD Mega T-tar with EdgeQuake could be pretty damn dangerous.

What would be Talonflames best typing? so far Im looking at Flying/Fire/Steel But im unsure
I would say bug but... Death by switchin is undesirable so either steel for obvious reasons, dark for stab dark(only thief though), or normal for a strong non-recoil move

canno

formerly The Reptile
Steel is a good type for Talonflame. Another idea is Fire/Flying/Electric, as Flying / Electric is objectively better in every way to Flying (except versus the underleased Thousand Arrows and Gravity, but meh). It gives talonflame a useful paralysis immunity, cancels out its electric weakness, and lets it match up better vs other Talonflame (especially those that run Fire / Flying / Steel ;) ). Too bad it doesn't get Wild Charge, but its still really good.

Steel is usually a good addition to Defensive mons and Fire a good addition to Physical Offensive ones. I'm actually looking forward to UU and RU mons rise up and find a place in the meta so as to give it diversity. Fairy/Steel Intimidate Granbull, for one, is extremely viable. Scolipede would love a STAB Earthquake. Dark/Ghost Zoroark, Normal/Ghost Zangoose (To be frank, a lot of Normal Types can add Ghost for a good measure), Dark/Water/Fighting (Adaptability) Crawdaunt, Grass/Steel (Regenerator) Tangrowth and Water/Ground (Regenerator) Alomomola are some good examples.

Steel is usually a good addition to Defensive mons and Fire a good addition to Physical Offensive ones. I'm actually looking forward to UU and RU mons rise up and find a place in the meta so as to give it diversity. Fairy/Steel Intimidate Granbull, for one, is extremely viable. Scolipede would love a STAB Earthquake. Dark/Ghost Zoroark, Normal/Ghost Zangoose (To be frank, a lot of Normal Types can add Ghost for a good measure), Dark/Water/Fighting (Adaptability) Crawdaunt, Grass/Steel (Regenerator) Tangrowth and Water/Ground (Regenerator) Alomomola are some good examples.
I'd say granbull would rather be fighting as it lets it dual resist knock off as well as u-turn. Also granbull is primarily a defensive offense pokemon who would love stab CC(or earthquake).

Wait why would you give Alomola a double Grass weakness? Adding Grass would be better if you want to just cover up its Electric weakness (Since it would also cover up the Grass weakness. You'd end up with three weaknesses -Poison, Bug, and Flying- but they the enemy would basically have to expect this to punish it), and I don't think it even has any Ground STABs for you to care about in the first place. Or you could make it Electric/Water instead.

In general a tricky thing with Hidden Type is that it's really easy to accidentally add in a double weakness without realizing it, and usually that's got a lot of potential to go very wrong very easily.

Last edited:
Wait why would you give Alomola a double Grass weakness? Adding Grass would be better if you want to just cover up its Electric weakness (Since it would also cover up the Grass weakness. You'd end up with three weaknesses -Poison, Bug, and Flying- but they the enemy would basically have to expect this to punish it), and I don't think it even has any Ground STABs for you to care about in the first place. Or you could make it Electric/Water instead.

In general a tricky thing with Hidden Type is that it's really easy to accidentally add in a double weakness without realizing it, and usually that's got a lot of potential to go very wrong very easily.
Because water/ground is the best defensive type for a water type to have(one weakness and only to grass[the worst offensive type in the game]).

A double weakness is still a double weakness, and if you don't have Sap Sipper or something to cover it, it can get you one-shotted. That's the worst thing for a wall, particularly a Regenerator. Nor is Grass the worst offensive type in the game. Even nowadays, that dubious honor probably goes to Poison. Water/Dragon is what I'd go for to minimize weaknesses.

EV

Banned deucer.
Water/Steel retains one weakness of pure Water (Electric) and patches up the weakness to Grass while adding a slew of resistances and an immunity to Toxic, a status Alomomola dislikes. You do gain Ground and Fighting weaknesses, but those usually hit on the physical spectrum and are manageable with Alo's great Defense.

Well, any Steel Type with Regenerator ought to be good. Alo even has Wish. Steel would definitely make it much harder to take down, but I'm sure it won't take a +2 STAB 2x Attack, albeit Physical. It all comes down to what support you can muster. If you have something to take care of the Fighting and Ground weakness, Water/Steel is the best type Alo can arguably have.

Also, has anyone had the chance to play the Meta yet? I'd love to see a replay.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Well, any Steel Type with Regenerator ought to be good. Alo even has Wish. Steel would definitely make it much harder to take down, but I'm sure it won't take a +2 STAB 2x Attack, albeit Physical. It all comes down to what support you can muster. If you have something to take care of the Fighting and Ground weakness, Water/Steel is the best type Alo can arguably have.

Also, has anyone had the chance to play the Meta yet? I'd love to see a replay.
just use psychic/ fairy cress; immune to ground and 4x resist fighting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)