Hidden Type

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
I would like Lati@s/Mega-Lati@s put in C- Rank or above. I use it primarily with hp fire, which it already typically runs for obvious purposes. It's extra typing is helped by an immunity to ground and a resistance to water and the dragon type benefits from it because its no longer weak to ice, or fairy anymore. Its good bulk coupled with its reliable recovery and good movepool adds to its versatility and mystery. These are the reasons why it should be at least C-

I'm refactoring how types work, and I just got upon this part.

This is a really ugly hack. It should be. :| Added types like Forest's Curse are copied, so Hidden Type should be copied too.
The reference is Hidden Power. Hidden Power's type is not copied when transformed, so this isn't copied either.

True, the initial type is determined by IVs prior to the game start, but after it is determined it becomes a physical part of the Pokemon in-game, like any other type change. Hidden Power type isn't copied because Hidden Power calls from the user IVs, whereas Imposter/etc. calls from the enemy type. I agree with Zarel on this one: Forest's Curse is a more relevant precedent than Hidden Power.

True, the initial type is determined by IVs prior to the game start, but after it is determined it becomes a physical part of the Pokemon in-game, like any other type change. Hidden Power type isn't copied because Hidden Power calls from the user IVs, whereas Imposter/etc. calls from the enemy type. I agree with Zarel on this one: Forest's Curse is a more relevant precedent than Hidden Power.
???. Hidden Type calls from the user's IVs, it doesn't become a physical part of the Pokemon, it doesn't work like any other type change. If that were the case, when you Mega Evolve you wouldn't have a Hidden Type anymore. You're wrong. It isn't meant to and does not work like Forest's Curse.

If it were possible to change IVs in battle, your Hidden Type would change, just like your Hidden Power type would change.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
???. Hidden Type calls from the user's IVs, it doesn't become a physical part of the Pokemon, it doesn't work like any other type change. If that were the case, when you Mega Evolve you wouldn't have a Hidden Type anymore. You're wrong. It isn't meant to and does not work like Forest's Curse.

If it were possible to change IVs in battle, your Hidden Type would change, just like your Hidden Power type would change.
but your hidden type can be "altered" by forests curse. which means its not entirely determined by hidden power, as forests curse does not change hidden power IV's. i know what you wanted it to be like...and i sorta agree, but this is a huge thing that should either be removed, or have hidden power COMPLETELY determine the third typing. with no way of changing it.

but your hidden type can be "altered" by forests curse. which means its not entirely determined by hidden power, as forests curse does not change hidden power IV's.
The same way Hidden Power's type is altered by Electrify and other such effects. They don't change IVs either.

I misunderstood the mechanic, I suppose. So you're saying that the Hidden Type is a continuous slot that is constantly informed by the user IVs (which doesn't show because IVs are static), not an additional type that is dictated solely by teambuilder data? If that's the case, then I agree that the current system makes more sense.

I'm looking for potential people to manage viability rankings. You should have some credentials to back you up, such as winning a Hidden Type daily tour. I think this would be beneficial to get Hidden Type back to its active days!

(don't post a one-liner here just saying you're interesting; if you're making a meaningful post as well, sure, but otherwise use my profile or something)

Hi guys! I'm back to finish this, and the A+ bracket is ready to be posted. Going to be starting this one off with a mon that has endured since the inception of the meta:

A+

/
|
/

Pesky Dragons and Fairies ruining your good times? Flying-type Heatran offers a new Ground immunity and neutrality to Fighting in exchange for a weakness to the less common Rock and Electric. Being able to check threats like Steel-type Dragonite based on coverage and counter Mega Altaria, Flying-type Heatran has found a place in the meta as a blanket check to anything that isn't running Water, Electric, or Rock coverage. Even if those types are troubling you, Grass-type Heatran is capable of answering the things its Flying-type variant struggles with. Walling different threats based on its third type has allowed Heatran to become a thorn in any offense team's side and secure a spot in A+.

A+

|

Water-type Hippowdon is the more stall-friendly version of Water-type Gliscor, boasting better bulk, less exploitable typing, and access to phasing moves. While it doesn't have the utility of Gliscor, Water-type Hippowdon is great at taking hits(it is only weak to Grass) and Roar'ing out threats to stall teams like Dragonite and Altaria. Being one of the few reliable checks to some of the more powerful setup sweepers in the meta, Hippowdon is a valuable asset to any stall team.

A+

/
|

Fire-type Mega Altaria doesn't gain very much defensively outside of a Steel and Ice neutrality, but offensively a Fire Typing makes it immune to the burns and able to muscle past Steel types like Water or Dragon-type Skarmory with a STAB Fire Blast. With Cotton Guard, you become capable of setting up on things like Dragonite and Gliscor, and a little HP investment means you can set up on a +3 Manaphy as well. Bulky offense and Dark spam teams are absolutely crushed by Altaria, making it a very potent threat in the metagame.

A+

/
|

Ground-type Mega Slowbro follows the same idea as other Water/Grounds in the meta: use fantastic typing and recovery moves to become unkillable. The thing that makes Mega Slowbro stand out is its ability to win games on its own with a double dance set. It can set up on Dragonite, Altaria, and generally anything that isn't Grass or capable of nuking on the special side. Unprepared teams will have a lot of trouble if it manages to get 1 free turn to boost.

A+

/
|

Mega Lopunny's Normal/Fighting coverage is no longer unresisted in Hidden Type, but adding a Fire typing can help get around the new walls built to stop it. Being one of the fastest Pokemon in the meta, Lopunny makes for a great revenge killer that now can't be burned and is no longer weak to Fairy. Fire-type Lopunny excels at cleaning up offensive teams, landing it a spot in A+.

A+

/
|

Charizard-Y is a fierce wallbreaker that thrives in a meta of Steel-types and Water/Grounds. STAB on Solarbeam makes it incredibly difficult to switch into, and the additional Grass typing gives it more longevity by removing the Electric weakness and basically resisting Water under the Sun. Only a handful of Pokemon like Chansey and Heatran give Charizard-Y trouble, who otherwise terrorizes balance and stall. With its incredible firepower, fantastic offensive typing, and speed it's no wonder why it's ranked so highly.

Last edited by a moderator:
A+

/
|

Mega Lopunny's Normal/Fighting coverage is no longer unresisted in Hidden Type, but adding a Fire typing can help get around the new walls built to stop it. Being one of the fastest Pokemon in the meta, Lopunny makes for a great revenge killer that now can't be burned and is no longer weak to Fairy. Fire-type Lopunny excels at cleaning up offensive teams, landing it a spot in A+.
Doesn't this often run electric? I remember seeing a lot of electrics.

A+

/
|

Fire-type Mega Altaria doesn't gain very much defensively outside of a Steel and Ice neutrality, but offensively a Fire Typing makes it immune to the burns and able to muscle past Steel types like Water or Dragon-type Skarmory with a STAB Fire Blast. With Cotton Guard, you become capable of setting up on things like Dragonite and Gliscor, and a little HP investment means you can set up on a +3 Manaphy as well. Bulky offense and Dark spam teams are absolutely crushed by Altaria, making it a very potent threat in the metagame.
I seem to remember Steel always being an equally worthy alternative to Fire. Fire type Mega Altaria has a lot of benefits, such as the extra powerful STAB and immunity to Burns, but they don't overrule the benefits of steel typing. Steel was always the safer option, requiring less support, but it was the possibility of Altaria being Steel that made the Fire type variant so much more unpredictable and dangerous. High risk high reward sorta thing.
First of all, Steel obviously has far better defensive utility, most notably pre mega the added Steel typing provides 0 new weakness, and makes Altaria neutral to SR (its the same typing as Steel Dragonite so you all know the tonnes of resistances for switch ins as well as only 1 weakness). Where as pre mega Mega Altaria Fire is 4x weak to SR, and it maintains a 2x weakness throughout the game post mega too.
Plus post mega Steel Altaria boasts.
Just 1 weakness (to a type which it is immune to pre mega, so if you hold off on your mega you can get a free boost or two).
9 resistances, and 2 immunities.
Plus the immunity to Toxic can be particularly handy for certain sets.
Fire Mega Altaria is definitely a top threat, but it does have a variety of crippling flaws, but many of these flaws are patched up by Steel Altaria, and so it is both variations together that make Mega Altaria an A+ tier mon imo.

Speaking of which, you can now kill things with SR. Fun.

Defensively, it's going to be hard to find something that doesn't mind giving up a moveslot for a move they might not use.
I think its mentioned that u choose ur hp type then u can change the move if u want to.so u dont actually need to sacrifice a move slot
Correct me if im wrong

Quoted:
Tip: Select the Hidden Power you want so the Teambuilder sets the IVs for you, then you can change the move.

I think its mentioned that u choose ur hp type then u can change the move if u want to.so u dont actually need to sacrifice a move slot
Correct me if im wrong

Quoted:
Tip: Select the Hidden Power you want so the Teambuilder sets the IVs for you, then you can change the move.
This is true. However, it resets the IV's, so you have to edit them in manually to match the HP type rather than just selecting and then switching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)