High Risk, High Reward

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
This a BP team I've been using in Shoddy, mostly in Doug's CaP server. It has netted me about an 80% win ratio given my rough estimation skills. It's a team comprised of some frail members and given the fact it's a BP oriented team, it adds to this.

Without further ado here's the team:

Ninjask @ Leichi Berry / (Wal-Mart kidnapped my son)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 8 HP/250 Atk/252 Speed

Moves:

*Substitute
*Swords Dance
*X-Scissor
*Baton Pass

Comments: My lead, nothing much to say. He's the standard lead Ninjask. I don't really like Protect as it mostly just stalls for more speed boosts while with sub and leichi berry you're at least always guaranteed 4 speed boosts and 1 attack boost. Priority users and phazers are his bane though.

Ambipom @ Focus Sash / (Who fugos with my hugos?)
Nature: Timid
Ability: Technician
EVs: 6 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed

Moves:

*Nasty Plot
*Baton Pass
*Swift
*Thunderbolt

Comments: a PlotPassing Ambipom. Sashed to get in at least one, maybe two plots if I'm lucky. Swift and Tbolt for attacking current threats who won't let me pass at the moment.

Togekiss @ Leftovers / (How the fuck do I punch without hands?)
Nature: Bold
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 166 HP/ 188 Def/ 20 Sp Atk/ 136 Sp Def

Moves:

*Nasty Plot
*Roost
*Air Slash
*Baton Pass

Comments: My SturdyKiss set. Bold to help bolster his marginally lower defense stat. The EVs allow for great leftovers recovery and evened defenses, making him difficult on both sides of the spectrum. However, reduced speed and Sp. Attack require him to get off a NP to wrack up heavy damage. I'm considering swapping Aura Sphere with Flamethrower so I don't get walled by Tars.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry / (I am definitely not a hotdog, but thanks for your thoughts on the matter.)
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk/ 96 Speed/ 162 SpDef

Moves:

*BulletPunch
*Hammer Arm
*Ice Punch
*Earthquake

Comments: My main Ninjask BP target. outrageous attack with those speed boosts pretty much spells GG if I can successfully bring him in. I added in Ice Punch because this team had a dragon problem. Not sure why I added in the Speed EVs, but they haven't really failed yet. Bullet Punch has gotten me out of some sticky situations too.

Garchomp @ Life Orb / (Well hey, If I bought this white shirt, would it look great even if I spilled sauce on it?)
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 6 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed

Moves:

*Earthquake
*Outrage
*Dragon Claw
*Fire Fang

Comments: Standard physical Chomp. I use Dragon Claw for those occasions where I don't wanna Outrage and my other moves won't do much damage at all. Secondary Ninjask BP target. Ends any game if he gets BP boosts most of the time.

Yanmega @ Wide Lens / (Is evil the bug to be black. Colored, I am)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 6 HP/ 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Speed

Moves:

*Air slash
*Bug Buzz
*HP (Ground)
*Hypnosis

Comments: Standard Yanmega, and not as useful to my team as hoped. Tinted Lens was a bit of a downer to me. While it gave the illusion to hit anything neutral, I find that it hasn't. :(
Am looking for a good alternative to him.

EDIT: changed to speed Boost, hopefully he'll serve me better.

Threats: Hippowdon is enemy number one. He's bulky enough to cause many of my teammates problems and won't ever go down in one shot. Yanmega's HP Ice is a 3HKO at least. :(

There are prolly more, but only Hippo causes me grief.

I'm looking for replacements for Ambipom and Yanmega who can serve similar purposes, but do it better.

Thank you for looking over my team. :)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, wonder if KoA remembers me? Unless you're a different KoA... >_>;

Alright, so at a glance, your team HATES Stealth Rock in general. In an honest case, you seem to rely a bit much on passing Speed AND Nasty Plot onto someone like Yanmega, but I digress that it works if you hit NVE. Tinted Lens is an awesome trait, it's just tricky to pull off. I might say consider Hidden Power Ground or something on Yanmega just to solidify a kill against Heatran if the time is needed.

Anyways, some things that seem problematic: Heatran could be a bad target to face against, though you do have Garchomp, it still won't enjoy even RestTalkers that have Lava Plume, and that 30% burn rate will really work against you too. You also seem a little shaky if Weavile has Ice Shard at it's disposal, though thankfully you got Metagross to patch that.

Aura Sphere would be good for Togekiss, since Fighting + Flying is only resisted by Zapdos. Eh, in general I'm okay with Baton Pass teams, but maybe you should consider Smeargle for Ingrain to garuntee passing shit back and forth. One Roar could murder this team pretty badly, especially like I said, since 3 of your members are Stealth Rock weak, not to mention that two of them are 4x. You seem most vulnerable to a single Ice attack even, 4 members suffer greatly from this. Try Yache Berry on Garchomp maybe, it would help garuntee a free Swords Dance or something, if you opt to try it. Just scrap Dragon Claw if you do.

Wish you luck otherwise. Hope I helped a little.

ambipom and yanmega should both be Timid since naive give you an extra few less points in sp def and timid on take away from attack

Mix Electivire>Yanmega would be an excellent addition to this team. It would give you 2 ground weaks but you have 2 immunities, plus Metagross has Shuca Berry anyways. Electivire loves receiving Plots from Togekiss, possibly gaining a speed boost if they use Thunderbolt on Togekiss. It gives you another sweeper that doesn't need boosts that can kill, and can switch into electric attacks aimed at Ninjask if need be.

Togekiss is not a passer? Do use Aura on kiss, and you can swap plot for Twave if you don't use pass. Ambipom has plot already. Why flamethrower?

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Leading with Ninjask really isn't that good. It's extremely obvious what you're going to do, and just about everyone is going to know how to stop you. I would suggest making Togekiss your Nasty Plot passer instead of Ambipom as well. Togekiss is much more bulky, and slower, which means your target will get in unscathed most of the time.

If Yanmega is your main BP recipient, change your ability to Speed Boost. If you don't plan on passing to Yanmega that much, give it either a Scarf or Specs. Tinted Lense's real strength doesn't really show until you run a Choice Item. Once you do, you realize how much harder you're hitting with your attacks than you normally would against pokemon that normally resist your attacks. Oh, and why are you running Naive instead of Timid? You're not using any physical attacks.

I really don't like these kinds of teams, you don't really have a solid BP strategy. It looks like you're just coming in, trying to get a couple of boosts, passing off to something and hoping to sweep. It doesn't really seem very well put together to me.

Heading to bed, I'll bookmark this and get to it tomorrow, but one thought:

You have 3 BP's and too many targets. If you do it right, you should only need one. Worse, none of your targets are immune to Whirlwind or Roar. A well timed Roar and your plan goes *POOF*

Consider a Smeargle with Ingrain to pass, or a target Octillery with Suction Cups.

You might consider at some point passing a Substitute or Agility. Your only speed boost for the target comes from Yanmega. If he goes down, your target isn't going to be fast enough on his own to avoid a fast revenge kill.

Good luck!

Generally BP teams only have 1 primary target and by having 3, you lose out on some great stat passes. I like the looks of Yanmega as your reciever, but Iggy is right, it'll want Speed Boost as Ninjask is too predictable and decimated by SR.

Yanmega is frail so you may wanna consider some pokemon to BP defense boosts. Espeon and Celebi are good for Calm Mind but Celebi has Leech Seed as well, Vaporeon can pass Acid Armor and Aqua Ring, and Smeargle has Ingrain. I believe anything I listed can pass Substitute.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Generally BP teams only have 1 primary target and by having 3, you lose out on some great stat passes. I like the looks of Yanmega as your reciever, but Iggy is right, it'll want Speed Boost as Ninjask is too predictable and decimated by SR.

Yanmega is frail so you may wanna consider some pokemon to BP defense boosts. Espeon and Celebi are good for Calm Mind but Celebi has Leech Seed as well, Vaporeon can pass Acid Armor and Aqua Ring, and Smeargle has Ingrain. I believe anything I listed can pass Substitute.
I agree with everything except 1 thing. Yanmega's SpDef is ass, I agree. However, Yanmega survives a Extremespeed from a +2 Life Orb Lucario every time. Adamant CB Mamoswines Ice Shard does even less damage. 4 resistance to fighting is a huge help as well. If anything, pass SpDef boosts to it.

Wow, didn't expect Yanmega to be that bulky. Can anything pass a move that gives +2 to SpDef? If not, you'll primarily be working with Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, and Sub. Ingrain is useful as it'll prevent you from being phazed.

KoA

is an Artist
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be taking a few considerations in mind and testing them.

There are only two main BP recipients on this team, Meta and Kiss. The respective passers would be Jask and Ambi. The other members, Chomp and Yanmega are mostly meant for lategame cleanup if my main sweepers go down or if they've been roarwinded away.

I suppose this team tries to focus on too much at once and that can cause problems sometimes.

Also, typo on Yanmega, He is running Timid. I put Naive because I mixed up with Ambi, who also seems like he wants Timid despite his crappy defenses.

Given the advice thus far, Yanmega seems like he's entitled to a second chance and I'll go with Speed Boost this time around. However, ambipom has not been holding his fair share at all and I want him out.

Thanks for the help thus far.

KoA

is an Artist
I'll try it. By taking out Roost though I will have to mess with the EVs to make him more bulky though since he won't be focused on sweeping on his own.

Also, can Yanmega afford to run Modest since he'd be having Speed Boost?

Shouldn't have to take out Roost. This is the set from the Analysis:

252 HP / 64 SpD / 192 Spe
~ Nasty Plot
~ Air Slash
~ Baton Pass
~ Roost

And yes, run Modest on Speed Boost Yanmega

KoA

is an Artist
Alright edited all of those and in lieu of an Ambi replacement, I've considered trying Tenta for spin support. In the few battles thus far with him, he's worked great so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)