Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the movepool it could actually work "decently" as bait for Aegislash and dark types in general.

A combination of Substitute and Will 'o Wisp might be helpful.

I love the typing despite the Dark weakness. Lots of things have x4 weakness. But Magician? Hoopa looks absolutely catered for Prankster. & that spread. Attack & Defence should have been switched, & it definitely doesn't look like a base 70 Pokémon. Although Gamefreak thinks Miltank should outspeed Arcanine so I guess I'm not surprised they got it wrong. Even Hyperspace Hole doesn't hit as hard as a signature should. I see this thing being RU for sure, so disappointed. I guess it's best set is to just invest in the special stats & switch it out on anything physical. I love using Trick Room in Singles so I do see mysef using this, but sharing common weaknesses with other setters is annoying.

Goddamnit, Gamefreak...

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Didn't the Op say not to bitch about "lack of coverage" and here you guys are, bitching up a storm.

Personally, I think Hoopa could make a great AV and Scarf User with those being it's most needed stats. Sub 3 attacks or TR could also work. imo this thing is very comparable to a better reuniclus so I think high UU, BL or low-mid OU depending on the rest of it's movepool. More thoughts later

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Oh god this thing sucks donkey balls. Shitty Bulk and shitty speed beats the shit out of 150 Special Attack.

Magician? Game Freak must really still be trying to pull that off.

Meh, you could run a chesto-rest and use magician to steal the opponent's item, but it's not that special.

Next CAP should be trying to make Magician usable, obviously.

Yeah, this is a little depressing of an event 'mon. It could be a good threat in some of the lower tiers, but as everyone else said, it's not likely to make an impact in OU unless it gets an exclusive ability as its HA or something.

Hoopa @ Life Orb / Spooky Plate
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock / Substitute / Will-O-Wisp

Working with Hoopa got, I think an Offensive Trick Room set is the best it can do. If it can find an opportunity to set up (that's the problem) it wrecks with that amazing Special Attack. The weakness to Pursuit doesn't really matter for this set because you're probably only gonna come in once anyways, and you'll wreck Bisharp and Tyranitar with Focus Blast and Aegislash with Shadow Ball (you outslow Quiet Aegislash unless they have 0 Speed IVs as well). Substitute and Will-O-Wisp in the last slot are to avoid Sucker Punch, I'd probably use one of those over Psyshock myself.

Calculations:
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 238-281 (79.8 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 251-296 (83.6 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 238-281 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 250-294 (61.8 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 289-341 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 251-296 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 227-269 (83.4 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 208-246 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 251-296 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

These calculations are okay, not amazing but if you consider that those are without setup it's actually pretty impressive. This set is mostly to work against offensive teams, as if they are just a little weakened this can finish them off. You will probably need Stealth Rock up for this to work though, then identify their bulkiest mon that can take on hit, weaken it and win.

As for setting up opportunities: there's Deoxys-D, obviously. Also, lots of special Attackers, Thundurus does 37% maximum with Thunderbolt, Landorus does 59% maximum with Earth Power, et cetera.

This set doesn't seem great, but it seems OU viable at least.

I love the new release of Pokemon. If it looks bad, a billion people come here and say how bad it is and that trollfreak trolled again. Then someone comes on to defend it and then we all sit on our hands until they release more details, after which the cycle begins again.

Oh god this thing sucks donkey balls. Shitty Bulk and shitty speed beats the shit out of 150 Special Attack.
Woah, woah, woah, since when is 80/60/130 bulk considered to be terrible? Sure, it's frail on the physical side, but it takes special hits like a champ. That special bulk is excellent, especially for a Pokemon with such potent offense. Base 70 Spe also isn't that bad. Bisharp manages to get away with it, and he's one of the better Pokemon in the metagame right now. It's more than enough to outrun a ton of defensive Pokemon and put huge pressure on defensive teams with its insane SpA stat, and it can even outspeed and check everything up to (and including) +1 Adamant [Mega] Gyarados with a Choice Scarf and a Timid nature.

You know since it is Psychic I don't think the idea of it getting Agility is too out of the ordinary.

Hoopa@LO
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Trait: Magician
Modest nature
-Agility
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-fighting move

Of course if it gets something like Drain Punch than it going mixed with Agility would be a great idea. That way you can just run Psychic over Psyshock for more power.

Magician? Game Freak must really still be trying to pull that off.

Meh, you could run a chesto-rest and use magician to steal the opponent's item, but it's not that special.
This is such a huge overreaction.. how is 80/60/130 bulk bad?... similarly 70 speed is the same as stuff like Bisharp. I know its not great but can we try and calm ourselves lmfao

Im interested to see how Hoopa changes before release. At the moment I see some potential as a stall counter, with a useful psychic STAB and the special bulk to deal with regular Mega Venusaur (as well as poison resist), as well as a unique move which helps against strategies such as Gliscor's toxic stall- and taking items from defensive pokemon is always quite detrimental to them. Depending on his physical movepool he could be a quite interesting physical attacker, or otherwise a choice specs user. Specs shadow ball off of a 150 special attack sounds incredibly difficult for OU to deal with. Also I noticed that unlike Delphox, there are few items that Hoopa would dislike picking up with magician. Choice band, specs, scarf can all work fine on it due to good mixed stats and good enough speed (considering you are removing their scarfed mon, 70 speed will outpace almost all non-boosted mons), and leftovers recovery is fine due to good defensive stats.

I'm glad Gamefreak is bringing out pokemon with unused typings. Hoopa might not be Aegislash-tier but hes not exactly wormadam.

Last edited:
Why does this thing reminds me of Glaceon so much. Gigantic SpA, good offensive STAB, usable defenses, held back by shit speed and defensive typing. Here's to hoping it actually gets a decent movepool unlike Glaceon and that its nature isn't locked...

Anyway the way it currently looks, Hoopa looks like a good lure to Dark types, using a Berry to take any SE hits all the while crippling them by Magicianing away their items with an attack. Sounds kinda gimmicky but probably will be fun to use and holyshit150SpA. Guys please don't let this drop to UU Chandy is scurry enough mkay?

So power herb phantom force would be an option for an offensive set I guess. This guy seems more fitted to doubles though with trick room and hyperspace hole, and fake out immunity.

Knock off bait? Nah, dbond that shit. Things just got a whole lot scarier.

Edit: also his movepool screams of doubles support man

Last edited:
Clearly, Hoopa's niche is to bait in Knock Offs all day, and when its item is gone it can steal the opponent's. Duh. It would work so well.

Edit below: Yes it was a bad joke.

Last edited:
Its signature move is also a much worse version of Shadow/Phantom Force.
Really? Hyperspace Hole is looking better in my opinion.
Considering it doesn't need a turn to set up and let someone switch into something that is either immune or resists it, losing 10bp is more than ok if it means attacking right away. Phantom Force has nothing on this in my opinion.

Ugh, this is so disappointing, it's like they want it to be bad, like what they did with Delphox. That Attack stat is a mess unless it gets Drain Punch via tutor (or even Brick Break via TM ffs), that ability is laughable. Seriously they need to stop trying it with Magician, it's just not fucking usable. Of course the stat spread is bad as well, because we all really need more slow Ghosts, like. I was really hoping it wouldn't be this slow, WHY does it have to fucking Speed-tied with Bisharp?!? Ghosts can't be slow on this meta because they have been nerfed bad with the changes to Steel, defensively they just can't really work, except from Aegi, who is just amazing, obviously. Dammit.

Not wanting to judge it like we know everything about it atm, but I as see it, I think Wisp + Sub is done better by Gengar, who has excellent Speed an arguably better move pool and also lures Bisharp and Ttar and naturally outspeeds both. Like, I don't even know what they were trying with this one, Doubles? Aren't Event mons banned from the Official Tournaments anyway? -___-

That Sp. Def is nice, but it isn't switching into any decent Psychic mon since they all most likely will carry Shadow Ball (and, again, outspeed him too). Hardly anything uses Poison moves too, so that resistance goes to waste more often than not. The Psychic typing is more of a liability to him than on ANYTHING else. It does NOTHING good to it, except maybe STAB Psyshock (btw slay with that terrible signature move!), also it's already fucking immune to Fighting. T.T

They really screwed him up, a shame too, because it would be nice to have another Ghost in OU (seeing as we only have 2 of them). That typing, Ability and Speed just aren't going to cut it, unless it gets some ridiculous move like Close Combat via his event lol.

Really? Hyperspace Hole is looking better in my opinion.
Considering it doesn't need a turn to set up and let someone switch into something that is either immune or resists it, losing 10bp is more than ok if it means attacking right away. Phantom Force has nothing on this in my opinion.
It's confirmed to be a 2-turn move. It's just a Psychic clone of Phantom Force with less power and never misses

It's confirmed to be a 2-turn move. It's just a Psychic clone of Phantom Force with less power and never misses
this is the description of hyperspace hole

"Using a hyperspace hole, the user appears right next to the target and strikes. This also hits a target using Protect or Detect."

all the two turn moves specifically mention how they attack on the second turn

"The user burrows, then attacks on the second turn. It can also be used to exit dungeons."
"The user vanishes somewhere, then strikes the target on the next turn. This move hits even if the target protects itself."
"The user soars, then strikes its target on the second turn. It can also be used for flying to any familiar town."

It definitely is not a two turn move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)