OU Houndoom

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Cometh Doom
Overview
########

Mega Houndoom is an often overlooked specially offensive threat. It takes up a team's Mega Evolution slot, doesn't hit as hard as its competition due being unable to hold other items, and has its ability mostly wasted by how poor sun is in respect to other playstyles. However, the helldog is not something to simply brush aside. It has a fantastic Speed stat, very impressive Special Attack, respectable defenses, great offensive STABs, and a number of useful utility moves. When used correctly, Mega Houndoom will reduce the opponent to ashes.

Nasty Plot
########
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Taunt / Destiny Bond
ability: Flash Fire
item: Houndoominite
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Nasty Plot raises Houndoom's Special Attack to quite impressive levels, letting it act as a proficient wallbreaker and even as a sweeper against slower teams. Fire Blast is Houndoom's primary STAB; its high Base Power with negligible drawbacks makes Mega Houndoom a very fierce attacker compared to Pokemon that rely on less powerful moves as their main attack. Dark Pulse is secondary STAB that offers reliable accuracy, a handy flinch chance, and reasonably good neutral coverage with Fire Blast. Taunt is a useful move that aids in setting up against phazers that can't damage Houndoom otherwise, such as Mandibuzz. It also allows Houndoom to set up in the face of status users that rely on status such as Porygon 2, Chansey, or Heatran lacking Earth Power. On top of this, Taunt prevents walls such as Chansey from recovering, letting Houndoom wear down defensive teams more easily. Destiny Bond is more suited for fighting offensive teams as Houndoom has trouble muscling past some offensive staples such as Keldeo, Tyranitar, and Terrakion. Destiny Bond can make short work of these Pokemon early-game. Hidden Power Fighting is a very good option as it can deal considerable damage to Tyranitar, which otherwise easily counters Houndoom. Hidden Power Grass is a second viable Hidden Power which has the ability to hit a number of good checks to Houndoom such as Keldeo, Azumarill, and Terrakion very hard. Flame Charge is an option for a pseudo double dance set, letting Houndoom boost its Speed to clean up late-game.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed and Special Attack EVs optimize Mega Houndoom's sweeping and wallbreaking abilities. A Timid nature is mandatory, as without a Speed-positive nature a large number of important Speed tiers are missed. The remaining four EVs go into Defense as opposed to HP as it lets Houndoom take less entry hazard damage. Flash Fire is the ideal ability as the boost persists when Houndoom is Mega-Evolved and gives it a free switch-in if played correctly.

Usage Tips
========

Specially defensive Heatran with Earth Power is a counter to Mega Houndoom, but it is nearly powerless if it lacks Earth Power and the latter has Taunt. Scouting for Heatran's moveset before deploying Houndoom may let it set up for free on Heatran. The easiest way to accomplish this is to switch Houndoom into Heatran as it uses Lava Plume, then switch out. Houndoom's typing is convenient for beating Ghost-types that like to throw around burns, such as mono-attack Gengar and standard Sableye; these are perhaps the best switch-in opportunities for it. Mandibuzz is complete setup bait for Mega Houndoom should the latter have Taunt, so exploit this. Chansey should be Taunted to prevent recovery and status, making it easy to wear down and switch into. Mega Venusaur is also a pretty good Taunt target for preventing Leech Seeds and Synthesis, again making it easy to wear down and switch into, or outright beat. Mega Houndoom functions quite well as a wallbreaker; setting it up mid-game to break down bulky Pokemon for the rest of your team is where it is most effective. Destiny Bond's primary targets are Keldeo, Terrakion, Tyranitar, and basically anything slower than Houndoom that it can't beat and will probably respond with an OHKO. It can also be used to take down Chansey if it is dumb enough to KO Houndoom with Seismic Toss.

Team Options
========

Stealth Rock is a serious issue for Houndoom, and Defog or Rapid Spin support is crucial. Scizor performs in this role relatively well as it lures Will-O-Wisp and offensive Fire-type moves for Houndoom's Flash Fire; it is also a reasonable switch into Tyranitar, one of Houndoom's best counters. Latios as a Defogger can deal with Keldeo and Breloom pretty effectively. Drought Ninetales, especially with a Heat Rock, gives Mega Houndoom a huge amount of power without any need for setup. +2 Houndoom is so strong in the sun, it can OHKO Blissey. Landorus-T is excellent at absorbing strong Ground- and Fighting-type moves aimed at Houndoom, while also taking some Rock-type moves comfortably. Landorus-T also can counter Talonflame, a good offensive check to Houndoom. Dugtrio is an incredibly valuable trapping partner as it is capable of trapping and KOing two of Houndoom's biggest adversaries: Tyranitar and Heatran. Azumarill is quite capable of switching into and beating prominent offensive checks to Houndoom such as Greninja and Keldeo. Rotom-W is a solid teammate for Houndoom as it can take on a number of Houndoom's greatest checks such as Keldeo, Talonflame, and Azumarill and generate momentum with Volt Switch for Houndoom to come in safely. Tangrowth and Ferrothorn are good Azumarill switch-ins, and as such are useful alongside Houndoom.

Other Options
########

Sucker Punch is Houndoom's only option for priority and can mitigate issues against opposing priority and Choice Scarf users. However, it is quite weak without Attack investment. Will-O-Wisp screws with some switch-ins, most prominently Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Azumarill, and Terrakion, but it is contrary to Houndoom's fast and hard-hitting nature. Sludge Bomb is a mildly useful move that can break through Azumarill and does the most damage to Fairy-types. An offensive sun set is feasible, but independent Sunny Day use is easy to shut down for opposing weather starters, the recoil incurred is not worth the effort and a fully dedicated sun team struggles far too much against common threats to be worth the trouble.

Checks & Counters
########

**Revenge Killers**: Choice Scarf Garchomp, Excadrill, and Terrakion make easy offensive checks or counters, depending on the field condition. Strong priority users such as Breloom, Talonflame, and Azumarill are also good checks or counters. Pokemon that naturally outspeed Mega Houndoom and can hit it super effectively such as Greninja and Deoxys-S make good checks as well.

**Tyranitar**: Tyranitar replaces sun with sand, resists Houndoom's dual STAB, and has the bulk to take anything else while retaliating with Stone Edge; it really only fears Destiny Bond. Tyranitar is thus Houndoom's best counter.

**Chansey**: This blob sponges anything from Houndoom if it's healthy and cripples it with status. Chansey can only be dealt with if Houndoom packs a combination of Taunt and Destiny Bond, although this is rather rare.

**General Specially Defensive Tanks**: Specially defensive Hippowdon can take a +2 Fire Blast and KO with Earthquake in response, while bulky Assault Vest users like Conkeldurr can take a +2 attack and KO back. In general, dedicated specially defensive Pokemon that Houndoom can't hit super effectively will be able to respond to it pretty effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire Blast is your primary STAB and under the sun, with Solar Power an effective 2.25x boost is conferred, sweetly outdamaging a +2 boost
STAB still applies to a Nasty Plot +2 boost, giving you an effective 3x power. Whether it's better than Solar Power is debatable, but at least this way you can get the numbers straight.

Ash Borer

STAB still applies to a Nasty Plot +2 boost, giving you an effective 3x power. Whether it's better than Solar Power is debatable, but at least this way you can get the numbers straight.
sorry but solar power is a 1.5x boost, and under the sun Fire moves gain a 1.5x power increase. That accounts for a 2.25x boost, multiplying STAB into the equation is a 3.375x boost in damage vs. Nasty Plot's 3x. The wording was unclear, I;ve changed it.

Last edited:
sorry but solar power is a 1.5x boost, and under the sun Fire moves gain a 1.5x power increase. That accounts for a 2.25x boost, multiplying STAB into the equation is a 3.375x boost in damage vs. Nasty Plot's 3x. The wording was unclear, I;ve changed it.
You're right of course, excuse me for being an idiot!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Destiny Bond should be slashed after Dark Pulse. While missing coverage against Fire and Dragon-types sucks, slower Pokemon that can take an attack and OHKO and priority are the two best ways to deal with Mega Houndoom, and Destiny Bond deals with the first, and can often end up in Houndoom taking two Pokemon down. Mega Houndoom is such a good user of Destiny Bond because it is frail with common weaknesses (meaning that the opponent is encouraged to KO Houndoom rather than stall it out) and very fast, meaning that it will manage to use Destiny Bond first almost always.

Also, remove HP Fighting from the first slot. It hits nothing that the other three moves don't, and should only be used if Sunny Day is not on the set, which is when running Nasty Plot, so it only needs to be slashed with SolarBeam.

Ash Borer

Right, I was slashing it in there as a 4th move to hit Tyranitar if a 4 attack set were to be used on a sun team. Destiny Bond definitely does seem appealing, in testing +2 Dark Pulse, or Solar power boosted takes a huge bite of out Heatran, but it can strike back real hard with Earth Power. Destiny Bond completely removes Heatran when used correctly.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
4 attacks is not worth it imo, as 3 attacks is all that Mega Houndoom needs usually. You can give a mention of 4 attacks on set comments, with the 4th attack being HP Ground for Heatran and Mega Char X, if Houndoom is used on a sun team, but the extra sunny day support is almost always better. Also, you can give a mention to 3 attacks + Destiny Bond too in the set comments (dual STABs + HP Fighting / Ground). Btw, is HP Fight really better than HP Ground when using Nasty Plot? One deals with Tyranitar and the other with Heatran, but the difference is that +2 HP Fighting never OHKOes SpD Tyranitar in sand, and also SpD Heatran often uses Toxic on Houndoom, which means that you can't deal with it with Destiny Bond, while Tyranitar can be easily dealt with Destiny Bond. For this reason, i think that HP Ground > HP Fighting.

Ash Borer

Yeah I feel you, without hp fighting or sunny day youre basically defenseless against t-tar, where as it can do some pretty solid damage otherwise. That being said, destiny bond is probably better at killing it. Hp ground will definitely be slashed in, +2 cleanly OHKOs the 'tran.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
To get my point across better, here are the best moveset combos that can be done with the existing moves in the main set (with HP Ground added):

1. Sunny Day + Fire Blast + Solarbeam + Destiny Bond / Dark Pulse

The first three moves are obvious. Destiny Bond has great synergy with Sunny Day and is the reason it is slashed first because it accomplishes two important things: Gets rid of the opponent's best answer against Fire-types (letting the rest of your sun team have a much easier time) and gives to the rest of your team 3 turns to take advantage of Sunny Day, assuming that the opponent brought in his Houndoom check as you used Sunny Day. Dark Pulse is still an excellent move (though Destiny Bond can KO anything that Dark Pulse can, as the targets of Dark Pulse are mostly offensive Pokemon that would want to attack Houndoom), as it has the advantage of not sacing Houndoom to get past some Pokemon. Destiny Bond also suits with the suicidal nature of Mega Houndoom perfectly (SR weak + poor defensive typing + poor bulk + Solar Power recoil).

2. Fire Blast + Dark Pulse + Destiny Bond + Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground

This is the best all out attacking set that Mega Houndoom can use, with HP Fighting covering Tyranitar and HP Ground covering Tyranitar.

I decided that i am against Nasty Plot being on the main set for two reasons. First, Mega Houndoom is frail and weak to priority, meaning it has trouble setting up and trouble sweeping (in fact, it can't sweep). Second, Sunny Day outclasses Nasty Plot. It provides team support should Mega Houndoom die or get forced out, so the turn spend setting up wasn't for nothing, it provides more power in general (Fire Blast gets 2.25x stronger and Solarbeam under Sun is Houndoom's best option against Pokemon such as Tyranitar, SpD Rotom-W, and Keldeo), and pairs better with Destiny Bond, encouraging suiciding to help the team and make it easier for other Pokemon to sweep while simultaneously providing them sun.

So after a lot of thought, this is how the moveset should look like, if we decide to have one and not two sets:

Fire Blast
Sunny Day / Destiny Bond
SolarBeam / Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Ground
Destiny Bond / Dark Pulse

The slashitis may cause some confusion at first sight, but it's actually very simple: Without Sunny Day you are using D-Bond on the second slot, which means that you can't use SolarBeam or Destiny Bond (on the 4th slot), so your only options are a Hidden Power and Dark Pulse, forming an all out attacking set. With Sunny Day, SolarBeam becomes a must and you can use either move on the last slot.

However, we could just ass easily separate the two sets, as the Sunny Day set should mostly be used on sun teams while the all out attacking set can fit on any kind of team, including sun teams.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I see what you mean. I had this analysis initially as two sets. Nasty plot and sunny day setter however both played about the same so I combined them. if it's decided to list just one set ill make to articulate which move combinations are valid or nt, on my phone right now.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Houndoom looked kind of interesting to me, so I decided to do some playtesting with it. Whimsicott's actually a pretty good partner, I'd recommend noting it in the team options. Whimsicott easily locks Pokemon into setup moves with Encore, giving free switch-ins to Houndoom. It attracts lots of Steel-types, particularly stuff like Ferrothorn, which means more free switch-ins for Houndoom. Finally, Memento makes setting up sunlight a lot easier since Houndoom really doesn't have the best defenses.

Ash Borer

I revamped this. It still needs attention but, I tried using sun doom quite a lot, on full sun teams, and as an independent wall breaker. On a sun team, both charizard formes are such more beneficial, the recoil is nasty, the counter measures against tyranitar aren't enough, and sun in general just isnt a very viable team archeype. some of the shit like cholorosaur that made last gen's sun so powerful needs too many turns to do anything that useful.

Nasty plot houndoom is something ive found more success with. It functions decently in the face of some common OU pokes, and is strong and fast enough to be effective. Anyways I have some OO stuff that might be worht mentioning in moves not OO, ill look into them. Namely Sucker punch to beat weakened talonflame, Destiny Bond + taunt mono attack set to beat chansey, and Will o Wisp to snipe T-tar switch ins?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think on the first set, HP grass is certainly a viable option, as it hits Houndoom's best checks (Keldeo, Greninja, Azumarill etc.) for solid damage.

In the usage tips section, I'd mention how Houndoom is generally more of a wall breaker than a late game sweeper, so having it set up mid game is generally ideal.

In the Team Options, I think a mention of Rotom-W could be a good idea, just because it beats Keldeo, Azumarill, Heatran, Rotom-W, and it can burn Tyranitar, as well as giving Houndoom free switch ins with Volt Switch.

I don't have too much to say about the Sunny Day set, just because I've never used / seen in it practice, so anything I'd say about it would just be theory-mon. I think the biggest question to ask is why you'd use Houndoom over Charizard Y. I'm sure there are some reasons, but you need to state the benefits of using Houndoom over Charizard Y.

In Other Options, Flame Charge might be an interesting idea, to boost it's Speed, enabling a sweep late game. Sludge Bomb is an option to hit Azumarill and other Fairy types, but it has little use out side of that.

In the counters section, I'd mention Politoed.

I think after you've fixed these minor changes, I'd be more than happy to stamp this for you.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This might be fairly controversial, but wouldn't Sunny Day be an ok option for Houndoom. I would imagine you can bring Houndoom in against something you force out, Sunny Day the switch and then focus on blasting anything that switches in with a boosted Fire Blast. Obviously, this tactic would work better against water types, who then have to switch out if they come in on a Sunny Day, but I think Sunny Day is at least worth a mention somewhere.

Ash Borer

I think on the first set, HP grass is certainly a viable option, as it hits Houndoom's best checks (Keldeo, Greninja, Azumarill etc.) for solid damage.

In the usage tips section, I'd mention how Houndoom is generally more of a wall breaker than a late game sweeper, so having it set up mid game is generally ideal.

In the Team Options, I think a mention of Rotom-W could be a good idea, just because it beats Keldeo, Azumarill, Heatran, Rotom-W, and it can burn Tyranitar, as well as giving Houndoom free switch ins with Volt Switch.

I don't have too much to say about the Sunny Day set, just because I've never used / seen in it practice, so anything I'd say about it would just be theory-mon. I think the biggest question to ask is why you'd use Houndoom over Charizard Y. I'm sure there are some reasons, but you need to state the benefits of using Houndoom over Charizard Y.

In Other Options, Flame Charge might be an interesting idea, to boost it's Speed, enabling a sweep late game. Sludge Bomb is an option to hit Azumarill and other Fairy types, but it has little use out side of that.

In the counters section, I'd mention Politoed.

I think after you've fixed these minor changes, I'd be more than happy to stamp this for you.
HP grass is fine, it hits Terrakion/Keldeo primarily as you outspeed them, Azumarill and Greninja mostly just kill you with priority and Speed. Your other points are all good, though sludge bomb is going to only be for Azumarill, as a netural fire blast does nearly as much as a SE sludge bomb, and Azumarill will nail with you aqua jet anyways, so it's a pretty shit move to use. Ill implement these ASAP.

As for the sun set, I hid it because I dont really feel as if it's viable. Yeah, it's really strong but, sun kinda sucks, espeicially with giving up its best asset: Mega Charizard. Like i've said the recoil and t-tar and blah blah all make it really hard for it to be effective.

This might be fairly controversial, but wouldn't Sunny Day be an ok option for Houndoom. I would imagine you can bring Houndoom in against something you force out, Sunny Day the switch and then focus on blasting anything that switches in with a boosted Fire Blast. Obviously, this tactic would work better against water types, who then have to switch out if they come in on a Sunny Day, but I think Sunny Day is at least worth a mention somewhere.
yeah, it had a full set which is in hide tags right now because it's pretty bad. I'm probably going to remove it altogether and then give a summary of it in other options. Originally, I thought it would be the best set because its Fire Blasts are stronger and you can utilize solar beam but it just ends up being impractical.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I think in the team options, you should talk more about things that can handle Azumarill. Scizor and Skarm are kool, both providing defog. You already mentioned scizor, but just mention him again because with a defensive defog spread he can check azumarill well.

I agree that sun isn't really the best option, stick with Nasty Plot. The set looks good otherwise.

In the Checks & Counter section, remove protect as you're not running Sun anymore. Should also remove mention of it in the overview

Ash Borer

Ive added some stuff, but

Im going to include the sun set because after further testing with a decent sun team that i came up and it is sufficiently strong to warrant a full set. I was having poor success with it before because the sunny day version of Houndoom is kinda bad, but backed up with Heat Rock ninetales its pretty good. Chlorosaur is SUch a good partner to it for taking on azumarill and a bunch of bs, as is dugtrio. Duggy / doom / Venusaur are the heart of XY sun imo, Saur is real strong and fast, even thought it lost growth sweeping aiblity, leaf storm is what it gained. Doom is just really fuckin strong, and duggy deats tran/t-tar as always.

I know I said in the past giving up zard was a huge loss for Sun, and it IS, but doom is competitive with these pokes with the right support. It's faster than both, and stronger than Zard Y in the sun. Destiny bond is neat, dark pulse is neat, and it doesnt have as much recoil as Zard X who is the stronger one.

At any rate, I've had quite a lot of games with both sun doom, and nasty doom. Both in my opinion are OU viable, and I have included as much as I can for both. QC ready as its ever going to be :)

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner, but this analysis looks great. I'll support the Sun set if other QC members are okay with it.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I'm cool with the sun set as Tyranitar is a common Pokemon that will switch into Houndoom. Fucking it over with Sunny Day + Solarbeam is hella tight.

Ash Borer

Honestly I'm cool with the sun set as Tyranitar is a common Pokemon that will switch into Houndoom. Fucking it over with Sunny Day + Solarbeam is hella tight.
I found that clever opponents would switch t-tar in on sunny day, then switch out to something else to take the solarbeam and switch ttar back in again. Dugtrio is far better at ridding Houndoom of its tyranitar troubles.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I found that clever opponents would switch t-tar in on sunny day, then switch out to something else to take the solarbeam and switch ttar back in again. Dugtrio is far better at ridding Houndoom of its tyranitar troubles.
A possible scenario, but you could also put pressure if you can remove the Solarbeam resists (Bisharp is cool for that though Mega Venusaur is iffy I guess).

meh i don't agree with having houndoom in sun really. Despite solar power I think his talent is in how he can setup on opponents and take priority hits surprisingly well.
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Houndoom: 168-198 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Houndoom: 216-254 (73.9 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Houndoom: 234-276 (80.1 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Houndoom: 174-206 (59.5 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I don't like the thought of abusing solar power because of this nice ability to survive these powerful priority hits. Also would you consider a more opportunitistic Sweeping set?
Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot / Destiny Bond
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flame Charge

This set will not usually take damage setting up so The ability to take priority hits is very welcomed. The reason you may want d-bond over nasty plot is if you are hell bent on using sun and just want the speed boost. With d-bond at +1 speed scarfers that you would usually only dent before dying or just outright ending your sweep will be going down with you, grabbing houndoom 2 Kills (after picking off a weakened poke with flame charge) even if terrakion/keldeo switches into a flame charge it will take an unexpected destiny bond possibly winning you the game then and there
As I prior mentioned this set is based on opportunity, I find myself getting to +2 when i send it out after aegis had killed a poke and then kings shield. or just any other poke that doesnt appreciate dark pulse or fire blast. Flame Charge is another key move this gives Mega Houndoom a scarf which turns it to a dangerous poke, I find myself picking off a heavily weakened poke late game to get flame charge boost to gain momentum and even as a win condition. This set is useful for forcing the opponent into sending in heatran to kill it as then you will be able to break its balloon and would have gained momentum. This set should be used late game when you have counters either dead or weakened I find that this set either gains me momentum and control of a match being able to kill and then dent another of the opponents pokes or Just outright sweeping the other team. Flame Charge is the move that is used normally as it can foil your opponents would be idea to send in a scarf lando,lati,etc to kill doom, this is where I find I end up sweeping. This Set doesnt really need support and I would recommend having a strong core of 5 other pokes as it is more laid back until that opportunity arises. The immunity is rather helpful if you want to put some pressure on chari-y as well :
0 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Houndoom: 162-192 (55.4 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Solar Power damage

being able to flame charge and then KO with Fire Blast after some prior damage. This set has to be used very intelligently in the right hands this can be the best thing that ever happened to you or to a guppie, the worst set ever

Oh and also heatran doesn't really like dealing with Mega Houndoom , losing its air balloon and being left at less than 50% HP
4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Houndoom: 178-210 (60.9 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If using flame charge this leaves a heavy dent in heatran, If you nasty plot and heatran switches in you 2hko while it cannot one shot you

+2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 190-225 (49.2 - 58.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

tl;dr I feel as though there is a better use of mega doom than described above so using a Dual Boosting set based on opportunistic Momentum Grabbing,Surprise Factor, and as a Win Condition

Last edited:

Ash Borer

nearly the exact same set is the first set in the analysis, and Flame Charge has an OO mention. It's a decent move, but taunt's ability to let you mess with defensive checks like Chansey, Heatran, Clefable, Suicune, Mandibuzz, and such was too useful to be dropped. I'll give Flame Charge an upgrade to moves.

As far as Sun Houndoom it has differnet role as a wall breaker that requires no set up but hits incredibly hard and has few counters. Its speed tier is what makes it quite good at the role as it beats a lot of offensive pokemon too.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I don't think Flame Charge should be in Moves for Houndoom. It really doesn't have a lot of time to dawdle around - it's either boosting with Nasty Plot or supporting itself with its own sun. Flame Charge just leaves problems of being susceptible to free switches like Tyranitar to shut it down. At least, that's how I see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)