How do you stay sane while breeding?

We all know that it takes tons of eggs to get a pokémon with even decent stats and abilities. Especially if you're aiming for a shiny or specific gender.

So what's your method? How do you hatch those hundreds upon hundreds of eggs without becoming a blubbering shell of your former self?

Same way you handle Yata garasu lock in yugioh have something to eat near by something to watch like netflix or cable. A dime to put in your joy stick so you don't have to actually walk around the electric gym, hatching power level 3 and a talon flame with flame body and fly. And for shiny breeding better have the oval charm and shiny charm to make your wait less time consuming. And remember destiny knot on one everstone on the right nature one.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TV. Actually anything really, you just need something going on to distract yourself. Hatching the eggs isn't so bad but sometimes no matter how much you cycle an egg won't spawn. That shit drives me crazy. Running out of o-powers sucks too. I actually really like breeding even though it's deathly boring...

Abuse the "time machine" breeding method in Gen 6 so that I get what I want in an easier way. Reduces pokemon PC clutter too!

When all else fails, head to the WiFi forum and see whether there is anyone offering what you need. :p

Forget breeding, what I can't stand is EV training. Those minigames are the definition of a grind.

It has been nothing short of a nightmare ever since that fateful day where I wasn't paying attention and lost my last contagious pokerus mon!

Listen to music.

I will admit HP breeding has me at wits ends.

Never gonna get an HP Ice Honedge
Shame you can't listen to 3DS Sound at the same time as playing other games.

Forget breeding, what I can't stand is EV training. Those minigames are the definition of a grind.

It has been nothing short of a nightmare ever since that fateful day where I wasn't paying attention and lost my last contagious pokerus mon!
Yeah, they were fun at first, but... not after the thousandth time. Especially if you're someone like me who can't decide what to raise.

Horde battle EV training is a lot faster.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/a-guide-to-ev-training-with-hordes.3490052/

I only use Super Training when I need precise EV's and even then its still very quick compared to earlier gens.

It shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to give you a throw away poke with Pokerus.

I turn off the volume on my 3DS and play different music from my iPhone. That way, I can sing along to a song I enjoy if I find myself bored (which is almost always the case).

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I watch TV shows and movies while hatching eggs and EV training/levelgrinding Pokemon. Gaming is my favorite hobby and the rest of my family literally hogs the TV 24/7, so I pretty much live under a rock when it comes to film and TV shows. I finished King of the Hill (13 seasons) twice, all the way through in the 5th gen from EV training and level grinding to 50 since I don't hack. In the past week, I finished Welcome to the N.H.K and half of season 1 of Game of Thrones while breeding Regenerator Slowpoke in Dream Balls and Agility Mareep in Moon Balls. If it weren't for Pokemon breeding, I would be a lot more clueless about these things lol.

EDIT;; Oh and I finally got around to watching Frozen, I loved it

It took me 114 eggs to hatch a 5IV Jolly Murkrow with Prankster. It had two 4IV parents. I was pissed.
118 eggs for a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Honedge. Both parents were 5IV but were missing different flawless stats than I needed.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fortunately for me, I was given a 6IV Ditto before I started breeding, making this whole thing a lot easier on me. But anyway, like everyone else, I like to watch shows while I do it. However, I don't really multitask well, (I can't even breed and chat on IRC at the same time) so even then I sometimes just stop and decide to do it again later. Currently, I'm watching Yu Yu Hakusho and I'm on episode 44. It's pretty much just fighting for this entire arc, so by multitasking I'm not really missing too much. It's also like 112 episodes and I want to finish it before I start watching another series so this is a good way to kill two birds, lol.

I saw this thread title and laughed ("at least i'm not the only one who wonders this"), then I cried (Its so frustrating when chasing nature, IV, ball, HA AND gender).

+1 for TV, multitasking isn't too hard for me when breeding, just when i'm swapping parents out I always pause it and pay attention (I use excel to record the IV stats of the hatched pokemon AND also keep track of the IV of parents) so If i fill that in wrong, I'll lose my spot.

I did the majority of my breeding with a mix of 4 dittos, then I was given a 6IV which makes it somewhat easier. But often, now that I have 6IV parents in most categories, I will often consider using them where egg moves come in to play.

Also, IRC has kept me sane during the breeding run's.

It isn't all that bad took me about 400 eggs for a shiny gastly, however last week I randomly hatched a shiny 5IV Sand Veil gible after about 40 eggs so that was a nice surprise!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Cheat as much as possible with PokeCheck.
I just stopped playing competitively ingame partially because of breeding, partially due to other reasons. But when still did, I tended to watch TV, YouTube, or read while running in circles around The Eiffel Tower Lumiouse Tower.

For some reason, I find shiny breeding to be somewhat therapeutic. It gives me something to do considering the fact my only other DS game is Phantom Hourglass (which I beat). If I really do get bored, I just play the PWT or try to catch random legendaries.*

*This is technically on Black 2, but it still applies

I use the three most beautiful words in the English language: "Eh, close enough."
Really, this. I have massive amounts of patience, but at the same time not nearly enough to breed hundreds of thousands of eggs just for a shiny. It's just that I would get bored and sleepy super easily after egg #100 or something. u_u

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I use the three most beautiful words in the English language: "Eh, close enough."
Really, this. I have massive amounts of patience, but at the same time not nearly enough to breed hundreds of thousands of eggs just for a shiny. It's just that I would get bored and sleepy super easily after egg #100 or something. u_u
When I am breeding for ingame runs, all I am really looking for is right egg moves/gender and a decent nature. By decent I mean any Neutral or anything which doesnt totally screw the mon over (I had to breed like 15 shuckles before I got one which didnt boost Speed/Attack/Spcl Att for a Defence ;_;), this should massively increase the odds of getting something usable (probably like, to near half) and it still takes me at least 6 or 7 eggs each time @_@.

Lord knows how some of you guys can hatch 4809454740938540 eggs and not go crazy :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)