How more OU can you get?

Hello everyone, I'm Wafle as you can see. You may recognize me (or not) from shoddy battle. This is my 2nd RMT and I think I've become a lot better since my last one. So, without further adieu, here it is.

TEAM BUILDING

Well when I first heard of Heavy Offense I was intrigued, a team full of set up sweepers that can sweep a team at a moments notice you say? Sign me up. I started to think of pokemans that have a 1 turn set up and sweep. Immediately, I thought of Salamence.

So here is Salamence, a very dangerous sweeper but with a weakness to the ever omnipresent Ice type. I needed someone that resists Ice and can also sweep at a moments notice. My thoughts instantly sprang to Lucario, who is arguably the best late-game sweeper today.

These 2 covers each others weaknesses very well, Mence takes Lukes Fire, Ground, and Fighting weakness. While Luke takes Mence's Ice and Dragon weakness. So now I need another powerful pokeman that can sweep well. I look at the statistics of Shoddy's latest trends and I see the obvious Scizor.

Cool, Scizor, the #1 pokeman in shoddy right now and with good reason. SD to double it's attack an extremely strong priority move and with already high attack, why not? Scizor has very good typing and covers Mences weakness and is neutral to Lukes other than fire. I need a good fire resist, BUT WHO? I check the statistics again and notice the fearsome Gyarados.

Awesome, 4 very strong sweepers. By now I remember as flying types, Mence and Gyara both have a weakness to a very common attacking type, RAWK, now I see I need another reistance to it as Lucario is the only one to not take neutral or super effective damage. I immediately think of a pokemon who has swept my team in the past, Metagross.

Sexy set of sweepers huh? But now I need a lead, I know I need dem stelf rawks as they are essential to any offensive team. But I also want more from my lead. I look at Azelfs smogon page and see the Dual Screen set. I used it and instantly fell in love with it. Having Mence being able to take an Ice Beam and set up with DD is great, having Luke eat an EQ and set up is great, having Gyara eat a T-Bolt and set up is great. Dual Screens really help this team out.

So there it is, took you threw the team building progress and now onto the sets!

EXPLOSION

Explosion @ Light Clay
Nature: Jolly
Ability : Levitate
Ev's 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spe

Moveset;
Explosion
Light Screen
Reflect
Stealth Rocks

This guy right here is responsible for my wins frequently, if I can set up Screens + SR, this game is practically mine. Allowing my team to set up freely barring crits and taking out something along the way makes EXPLOSION extremely valuable for my team and can be the reason why I win my matches.

SALADMENCE

Saladmence @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability : Intimidate
Ev's 4hp / 252 atk / 252 spe

Moveset;

DragonDance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast

Ah Saladmence, capable of running through an entire team just after 1 DD. His moves give me perfect coverage on all of OU and a +1 outrage is capable of 2hkoing the entire OU tier. All walls crumble to 2 outrages and with their main physical wall out, the rest of my team is free to sweep or Mence can finish up the job himself.

METALGROSS

Metalgross @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability : Clear Body
Moveset;

Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Thunder Punch

Ev's 48 hp / 252 atk / 12 def / 196 spe

Gross is an amazing sweeper. With Agility and the given EV's I outspeed 100 base speed pokemans with 1 boost while keeping a sense of bulk. The moves give me coverage on the vast majority of the metagame hitting nearly everything neutrally.

GYARATWO

Gyaratwo @ Life Orb
Ability : Intimidate
Ev's 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe

Moveset;
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Earthquake

This guy is a beast, able to run through entire teams. Waterfall is obligatory STAB and the other moves are for coverage. Not much to say other than this thing is frightening.

WAIT

Wait @ Life Orb
Ability : Technician
Ev's 188hp / 252 atk / 68 spe

Moveset;

Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Brick Break

The #1 pokeman today and with good reason. SD Boosted Bullet Punch is nothing to laugh at. Neither is techni boosted bug bite with stab. Brick Break is there for coverage. This thing is a monster, as with all other pokemon on my team, it's capable of running through teams with just one turn of setup. A true monster. The Ev's give me bulk while allowing me to outspeed other pokes

LUKE

LUKE @ Life Orb
Nature : Jolly
Ability : Inner Focus
Ev's 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe

Moveset

Swords Dance
Close Combat
Extremespeed
Crunch

Very good pokeman. Sweeps unprepared teams with ease. I chose Jolly so it can outspeed other Lucario and neutral natured base 95 speed pokemans. I have near perfect coverage with these moves and the only trouble I get are scarfers.

Well, thats my team, hope you enjoyed it. I have 1401 CRE as of now and it's not much to you guys but I consider that not too bad :). I'm trying my best to get higher and I think with this team I will be able to.

A huge problem I notice is I have a electric weakness. No resistances and 1 x4 weakness. A Scarf Latias can run through my team if Scizor is dead. It just mashes thunderbolt on my team :\

I understand the metagame is very much based around physical attackers, but I think having only one Special Attack on the entire team is overdoing it. Try switching Lucario to the Choice Specs variant, which can help take out physical walls like Gliscor and defensive Rotom-A. This also gives you something to switch into Will-o-Wisp, which otherwise cripples your entire team.

I understand the metagame is very much based around physical attackers, but I think having only one Special Attack on the entire team is overdoing it. Try switching Lucario to the Choice Specs variant, which can help take out physical walls like Gliscor and defensive Rotom-A. This also gives you something to switch into Will-o-Wisp, which otherwise cripples your entire team.

I have zero problems with Gliscor, Pert, Hippowdon, or Skarm. The most prominent physical walls in OU. I do have a problem with status :\. I had a Lum DD Sub Kingdra which absorbed status but did not dish out the damage I wanted. I removed him in favor of Scizor which I find does better than the Kingdra I had.

There's more than enough Pokemon that require some set up here. In addition, there's a strong Fire-type weakness here (Metagross, Lucario, Scizor). I would replace Lucario for a MixPert, which better covers your Fire weakness and neutralizes Electric-type attacks aimed at Gyarados.

Have a New MixMence over your DD Mence for stall breaking and raw power both physically and specially. That's why people say there's no safe switch-in for MixMence. Helps tear holes in the enemy to make Gyara & Scizor's job easier.

Azelf should also have Taunt over Reflect. Most of your team's weaknesses will come from specially-based attacks, so you should be more focused on setting up Light Screen. Azelf won't be around long enough for you to set up Reflect anyway, since you do need Stealth Rocks to build up damage on your opponent to ease sweeping. Taunt, of course, is always handy to stop slower leads.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ignore this rate, which Im sure you will.
Why?

Other than that, its bog standard HO which you cant really rate
Does this mean that the team is perfect?

I dislike how Zapdos destroys your team, sure you have screans up, but having reflect and light screan up is not an automatic 'win'.

I would prefer a T-tar here as it lets you check Zapdos more easily. You could put T-tar over scizor if you wish, you could make it a scarf t-ar and then threats such as Latias and Zapdos no longer threaten your team. YOu could even make T-tar DD if you wished. Having a T-tar on your team also allows you to lure in scizor which can easily be set up fodder for Metagross and, to a lesser extent, Lucario.

I would also ask you to think about Bullet Punch on Lucario perhapes over Crunch as it lets you KO scar tar which is everywhere at the moment.

You're quite weak to Fire attacks in general. One thing that has the chance to 6-0 you is an Expert Belt Jirachi with Iron Head / Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Thunderbolt (not uncommon either). Half of your team is walled by Rotom-H as well. Definitely not good for a hyperoffensive team such as this one.

I would ditch Gyarados for something like Expert Belt Latias. Not only is it an excellent lure for Tyranitar and Scizor, but it also helps set up your Lucario easier. You still keep the offensive momentum while being able to handle Rotom-H significantly better. As for the Jirachi issue, I guess Metagross can handle it to an extent. Salamence can also speed-tie it, though if it loses you might be in trouble. Intimidate will really help in dealing with said Jirachi.

Speaking of Lucario, I'd consider Bullet Punch over Crunch. With the influx of Scarf Tyranitar in today's metagame, it would be such a waste for Lucario to SD up only to get forced out. Bullet Punch would secure the KO on Tyranitar after a Swords Dance boost, and since a lot of newer teams rely on Scarf Tyranitar as their sole Lucario check, you would have a field day late-game. Crunch is basically for Rotom-H, and if you decide to replace Gyarados with Latias, you now have a pretty good method of dealing with it, meaning Crunch is sort of redundant.

That's basically all, good luck.

Thanks Calum and ToF, yes a Scarfed Rotom-H does check this team pretty badly as it walls entire movesets of Metagross and Lucario if I can't outspeed. I will def be trying the Expert Belt Latias. I will also try BP on Lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)