How To Become Pro At Chaining

That's what it's called when you walk around (making sure not to go into any patches that shook) to recharge it before you can use it again.
Ahh, I originally thought that broke the chain and that there was a reset function on the pokeradar or somethin :P Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm having some issues with changing the swarm of the day... Every time I change the time back to 23:59, I get the same swarm when I wait until 0:00. I am definitely getting into the game on time... Anyone know what the problem is? I also have been trying to change the date to see if that works.

Daggr - Should work, make sure you're following the insturctions exactly, including saving after each time you check your chain at 00:00

Sikh Assassin - You're going to have to be a little more specific than that, my friend. Also, post in the Look At What I Chained Thread in Stark Mountain!

*sigh* I got a 32 chain today, first chain over 30 and it broke because of a Starly... and the patch formation was the one that was here suggested as the best one.. Oh well, will try again, I have endless patience ;p

question: if you use an AR code that gives you unlimited radar battery, does that affect any of the guidelines/rules stated? (also, is it considered "unethical?")

Where is the easiest place to practice chaining for someone who seems to be able to get into the 30's fairly easily but has never been able to hit 40 (38 seems to be my magic number at which my chains break)

Where is the easiest place to practice chaining for someone who seems to be able to get into the 30's fairly easily but has never been able to hit 40 (38 seems to be my magic number at which my chains break)
The first routes (can't remember names) of the games around Sandgem and and such. You may only get Bidoof's and Starly's but it is good practice.

dude i read this like six times today and now i get it! i got to 43 and my chain broke... no shinies but hey at least its better than the 9 absols i got yesterday lolll

Triggz, once you get to 40, don't keep chaining. Reset everytime. That means you will only get shinys once you get to 40! :)

Wow. This chaining guide is really hard to absorb. If you can would you make a video of how you chain or any video that explians it on youtube.Plz.

for one, the tone is way too informal in comparison with the other articles. plus, there is excessive amount of first person usage that should be replaced with passive voice.

and perhaps i am being overcritical, but shiny pokemon are probably not all that important from the competitive point of view (as in inclusion on the site)?

I'd have to agree it is very clumsy to read.

Personally I got confused and while playing leaf green had to keep remembering that it is for the radar on pearl. But still, it didn't make much sense even knowing that.

man, theres nothing clumsy about it. and if you want formal, i could recommend some good maths textbooks.....

i just wanted to post to say that i found this really helpful. i'm pretty much a chaining veteran in a way - ive got about 30 shinies from chaining, not including multiple catches - but ive never had much success in the trophy garden, never got much more than 10 even though ive gone up to 75 elsewhere (kecleon if i recall, after i had done some resetting). anyway, i followed a really strict version of your rules, and got a shiny azurill!! :) :) i only ever went into a 4-away if it had exactly one other patch in the same quadrant, and only if that friend was either a 3-away or a 2-away.

just one question of clarification. when determining which quadrants patches are in, do you consider the vertical and horizontal lines through the origin to be in both quadrants?
for a simple example:

4322X2234
44Y444444

would you say that X and Y are in the same quadrant?

Sorry I haven't looked at the posts on this thread in a while (since there's a discussion thread in Stark Mountain).

Chaos - What is hmtl-ization? Is that putting my Chaining Guide into the articles section on the main site? I'll do anything to make that happen. That includes correcting the problems ryubahamut mentioned, which I think are very valid points. I hadn't actually read many other guides on this site and didn't even know C&C existed, so the voice is obviously very unofficial. Also, I probably need to make a few other changes to it, so is it absolutely imperative that I do this before html-ization? By that I mean can I make changes after html-ization, or does everything have to be completely finalized? Just tell me what I need to do, and with the limited time I have on my hands, I should be able to do it within a week or so (assuming I'm making major changes). Thanks, hope you see this!

ryubahamut - Yes, you are being overcritical :P . Seriously though, thanks a lot for the suggestions, if you have any more, no matter how harsh or small, please don't hesitate to say so. I wrote this guide as a way to catch shinies, but chaining can be useful in other ways as well, namely in EV-Training and Ditto-catching. Whether or not those have

Bozo - No, if it's on one of the axis I don't. If I haven't added that to the guide already, I will shortly.

I also have a question... Is there any way I can gain proof of my methods by accessing the makeup of the game or something? I had a tough time phrasing that, I apologize. :P

HTMLization is done to make the guide appear on the site in the proper manner. You can read the HTML primer sticky on the C&C main page if you're interested in doing it by yourself. There are also several others who can do it for you, myself, Blue Kirby and X-Act to name a few.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
You can make changes after HTMLization. This looks like a cool guide; perhaps a group of people could work with Diesel to improve the prose?

It is a cool guide, thank you! I don't think I need much help with the prose, I have the ability to write properly, I just didn't know that C&C existed when I wrote this (I originally posted it in Stark Mountain). So hopefully this weekend I'll take all the "lols" and personal voice and replace them with proper sentences. My goal originally was to make it fun/easy to read to encourage people to do it. After I make all these changes, I'd be happy to have people work with me if the prose still needs changing, but I'm pretty confident I can write just as well as most people, based on my experience in high school and all that. I'll post back when all the changes have been made, again, hopefully this weekend but I'm not sure.

So as far as chaining goes, just go to the ones farthest away from you, and make sure the patch is shaking the same way as the last one. Otherwise, just recharge the Pokeradar and use it again.

Am I right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)