How to connect to the internet in a college setting on a DSi/3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that a bunch of you do their battling online in Pokemon on the DSi/3DS. I also have noticed that it is highly likely that most of you are college-aged and probably living in a dorm on campus. And most of the time, the colleges require the person to sign in on a specific webpage before the person can explore the Internet proper. This is a large problem since it stops certain devices like the DSi/3DS from connecting online.

Like the title says: For all of you who are living in a college dorm and can play Pokemon or other games online on the DSi/3DS, how do you exactly bypass the college's login screen and have the device connect to the internet?

Well, quite frankly, you don't. I got a USB dongle that can rebroadcast the computer's internet connection. The dongle can be found here. It can be a little finicky on getting it to work, but once you do, it's stable.

DS internet relies on WiFi which isn't present in most buildings on most college campuses. You may have a hotspot nearby or if you're using a 3DS you could try searching for a nearby Nintendo Zone

Well, I sign in into the portal page to explore the internet and then I connect my device..
you have to sign in first..
no proxy needed..

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DS internet relies on WiFi which isn't present in most buildings on most college campuses.
wut

anyway this largely depends on your campus. many campuses will let you register game consoles in order to use wifi - you just need to talk to the IT department and give them a MAC address. otherwise, get a USB dongle or make an adhoc with your computer.

The original DS cannot connect to most college campus internet, as they use WPA security the original is incompatible with.

However, thanks to the internet browser on the DSi and 3DS, it is possible to connect them to most (all?) wireless connections on your campus.

It'd be for the best if you just talk to the IP department, as each school is different in the specifics. Generally, you need a password to connect to the wireless network, and then you have to open your internet browser and log in using your campus internet username/password.

Alternatively, you can use the USB adapter bearsfan mentioned, but don't buy it unless you're certain you need it. This is the only method you can use for older DS models, except for purchasing a wireless router (which are usually not allowed in dorms).

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
so I think this thread has run its course and you probably should talk to someone in your school's IT department because this is obviously a job for them

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
rofl fuck I totally did hahaha

I was on vacation too long, my skills got rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)