How to get a job

So I've applied at Red roosters, Maccas and KFC and been rejected at all 3. My application at Coles is still being sorted but at this rate my hopes are low. I'm nearly 17 and my parents are putting a lot of pressure on me to start working and I want to start a job as well. I'm clearly doing something wrong but I'm not sure what. I'm not good enough at any school subject to tutor it and I have no connections that would hire older teens.

Pretty open ended question but how do I get a job?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know about the hiring market in australia right now, but it might be overcrowded. Are you looking for a temporary position while you finish school, or are you looking for something more permanent? Only advice I would give is try to go to somewhere that has a "we're hiring" sign and speak to a manager when it's not too busy. If you show interest in working at a place, then you'll probably have better chances.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Three isn't very many job applications. When I graduated from uni, I sent out about 40 applications, heard back from 10, got interviewed by 3, and got an offer from 1.

It's hard to break into the job market. You could try looking for internships as well. They don't pay you a salary but they give you something to write on your CV and can sometimes pay for things like your transportation costs or rent as well.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if you're in the brisbane or the gold coast area go work for panthera finance. it's a debt collection agency and they're rapidly expanding and they'll hire anyone who can speak english. it's call centre work but it pays $24 / hour. i did it for a month before i moved. otherwise just go on seek and apply for everything you can. also you can use the airtasker app for odd jobs.

Asek

Banned deucer.
I think you're applying to the wrong places. Those fast good chains get inundated with applications whenever theres an opening , probably need to stand out a moderate amount to make it to interview stage there.... might be a lot more succesful if you ask small family businesses (like the local fish n chip shop) if they're looking for any staff... ive only worked in small businesses but ive been successful in 4/5 of my job applications to them.

the hard part is getting in, dont be afraid to talk yourself up in resume / interview stage by a fair bit (within reason of course...), if you are hard working + motivated enough you will stand out in trial shifts compared to other people your (our?) age.

alternatively look for a family friend / connections to find your first job, then look to springboard from that into another one with a reference under your belt.

may be worth improving your resume? Ask your friends whove been succesful in finding work if you can look at theirs and see what they did differantly

best of luck

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Make your resume short and sweet, no more than a page. use simple headers and bullet points to explain yourself, modifying your descriptions according to the job you're applying for.

You've only mentioned applying to like 4 places right? You need to apply to a lot more places.

Likeliest places to get a non-horrible legit job at 17 is gonna be a super market chain imo.

If they are rejecting you due to lack of experience. Then, just ask to volunteer at somewhere for like a month or so. I got my first step in the market by volunteering for a local pet market. It will also build networking opportunities. The manager/owner will be very grateful and send positive recommendations assuming that you don't fuck anything up.

It also gets your parents off your back temporarily.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
UNPAID INTERNSHIPS ARE A CRIME (but unfortunately not a bad idea, just try and minimise the amount u have to do). best get in the door before u get hit by PaTH internships and ppl can legally hire u for $4/hr lmao

Reactions: BKC

Ohmachi

Sun✡Head
So I've applied at Red roosters, Maccas and KFC and been rejected at all 3. My application at Coles is still being sorted but at this rate my hopes are low. I'm nearly 17 and my parents are putting a lot of pressure on me to start working and I want to start a job as well. I'm clearly doing something wrong but I'm not sure what. I'm not good enough at any school subject to tutor it and I have no connections that would hire older teens.

Pretty open ended question but how do I get a job?
Alright, let's see your resume and I'll critique it. Also try working as valet that's an easy job to get.

Walk into a supermarket or something and ask to speak to a manager. Then ask if they have open positions. I honestly believe that going any other route is pointless at 17. What exactly could you put on your resume that sets you apart from other HS graduates? You're at a weird age when you can't even add fluff to it because you have no bullshit to add.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well uhh... every website isn't The Atlantic. There are a bunch of content writing gigs that'll take high school teenagers with passable grammar to churn out steady quantity of generic shit. Local businesses and papers with their own websites have a lot of gruntwork/menial labour going towards its upkeep. A 16yo should have a fair chance of landing work if he can find out about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)