Hurricane Irene

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Irene made landfall at Cape Lookout, which was toward the western end of the forecast landfall range in North Carolina. This means it'll probably weaken a bit more over North Carolina, but the thing is, the bulk of the storm surge is in the storm's eastern half, and that part will stay over water. It's such a large storm that the storm surge is what would be expected of a category 2 or 3 storm (and in fact its barometric pressure is typical of a category 3 storm).

Irene made landfall at Cape Lookout, which was toward the western end of the forecast landfall range in North Carolina. This means it'll probably weaken a bit more over North Carolina, but the thing is, the bulk of the storm surge is in the storm's eastern half, and that part will stay over water. It's such a large storm that the storm surge is what would be expected of a category 2 or 3 storm (and in fact its barometric pressure is typical of a category 3 storm).
Yeah, it's at least a category 2. News also says it's going to be historical. I think it might it up here in Mass and iirc they called for a state of emergency.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
at 5pm EDT the storm was 50 miles SSE of Norfolk, Virginia, and 340 miles SSW of New York City. Winds are 80 mph but the pressure is 950 mb. The wind field is so huge that it will probably take a long time to weaken, possibly still reaching New York as a hurricane. Also, some areas only need 1.6 inches of rain in 12 hours to get flash flooding in northern New Jersey, and that could fall in one hour in a tropical system. Just goes to show that "weakening" is relative.

I guess you could try +_+
My house doesn't even have a down spout since it is under construction. I even put buckets outside, I constantly dump them, and I made ways to re-direct the water. x_x

Silly, I know. However my house is very prone to flooding. It happened a couple of times before. xD

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While the media always gets too hysterical over every weather event, you definitely shouldn't be outside in any hurricane unless you wish to be impaled by random debris. Just because your house survives does not mean a tree branch won't break off and go barreling into your gut at 50mph.

I'm in MA so our fun begins in about 12 hours, but even a Category 1 Hurricane can cause severe damage and inconvenience if it looses that tree your idiot neighbors should have taken down near the power lines (or if they're real dicks, the one leaning over your bedroom that is rooted on their property, despite being an imminent threat to yours.)

Uh, actually... I'm currently being scouted by a company in Houston. If all goes well, I'll be moving there in a little over a year from now... lol
Prepare for the hellish heat. I really do mean it. Hellish. I think the high for San Antonio yesterday was like 109. The sheer thought of a hurricane smashing right into Texas would be met with a resounding "please, that would be lovely."

Prepare for the hellish heat. I really do mean it. Hellish. I think the high for San Antonio yesterday was like 109. The sheer thought of a hurricane smashing right into Texas would be met with a resounding "please, that would be lovely."
A hurricane here would be a God send. I live near San Antonio and its just too hot sometimes.

I'm not suprised the media is over reacting to this hurricane. Everytime a major weather event happens up North, all the major news stations are on it like a duck on a june bug.

So I'm in Jersey at the moment and the storm seems to have passed without much circumstance. We weren't even hit that hard at all. No power outages, no knocked down trees. The worst thing was the loss of our TV signal for a few minutes and the excessive water.

I have heard that NY got hit harder though.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Flooding is going to be a really big problem, especially in Northern New Jersey, for days if not weeks. Some places are going to get out fine, some will be devastated. Basically normal for category 1 hurricanes.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Would it be lovely if that same hurricane cut off your power for at least a week, robbing you of air conditioning? I know over here, Hurricane Wilma and Katrina robbed me of 2 weeks of power apiece.

Hurricanes always suck unless you're having a drought and you live in a third world country. And then it'd tear down your house.

Would it be lovely if that same hurricane cut off your power for at least a week, robbing you of air conditioning? I know over here, Hurricane Wilma and Katrina robbed me of 2 weeks of power apiece.

Hurricanes always suck unless you're having a drought and you live in a third world country. And then it'd tear down your house.
it would be okay though because you probably wouldn't have a house in the first place

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Super, it sucks that you lose 2 weeks of power when a hurricane happens. Apparetly, my family is on a list of people who require power, and we get it our power back ASAP. I'm not sure if you have to pay to be on it, or what. See if there's something like that over in Miami.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
A huge tree branch fell over my basketball hoop. That's the worst thing that happened to my property. Other people in town have had isolated, severe flooding. Some of the worst wind has been since the storm has passed. I find that to be odd.

You obviously don't live in Texas. Hell yes it would be lovely. As far as tearing down my house? Probably wouldn't happen considering how far inland I am. But I really don't give a shit about power outages. The rain would compensate for that and then some. The desire for some rain and a little more mild temperatures here in Texas is understandably insane.

A huge tree branch fell over my basketball hoop. That's the worst thing that happened to my property. Other people in town have had isolated, severe flooding. Some of the worst wind has been since the storm has passed. I find that to be odd.
That sucks.

Worst thing that happened to me was I lose electricity at around 9:30 am when I was playing Brawl and had to miss the Smogon Tour. Me and my family ended up going to my aunt's where she had electricity and I got electricity back at like 5:40.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The point is that the power outage would continue past the temporary rain benefits. Unless you live in a small population area that power services can attend to you quickly or your infrastructure is set up to deal with these accidents quickly (tornadoes?), chances are you will have to wait your turn to recover power. Perhaps a tropical storm will be lovely, but category 2 and up will be a mess.

Florida isn't as hot as Texas and our house was an oven after the hurricane. I can only imagine Texas.

The house tearing down bit was for the third world country comment. Their houses aren't really very strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)