SM Ubers Hypnotised by the Moonlight

HYPNOTISED BY THE MOONLIGHT

Sleep is a curse, and yet a curse I need to live. - Steven Universe.

Hiya! MeepBard here with another RMT. This was my first team i've built in Ubers, and it features Z-Hypnosis Lunala. I've wanted to test this set for a long time and only now came around to it. I would really appreciate any tips anyone can give me. Without further ado, here's the team!

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

As I stated in the overview, Lunala was one of the Pokemon I was interested in from the very beginning, most notably because of Shadow Shield, great STAB combination and a very good 137 base Special Attack.

One of Lunala's biggest flaws is its weakness to Dark-type moves - a type that Xerneas counters very well. Its offensive pressure is also not to be underestimated. It can usually get rid of a Lunala check and clean up the opponent's team if it gets off a Geomancy.

At this point, I realized that my team was becoming too specially-oriented. I added a Salamence to take down special walls and rip through the opponent's team in certain situations, as well as be a solid Primal Groudon check. Aerilate-boosted Return is very powerful and if it gets a Dragon Dance boost, it can do some major damage.

Primal Groudon is a necessity on every Ubers team. Its amazing bulk coupled with godlike offensive prowess makes it one of the best Pokemon in the tier. Its purpose on the team is to beat Xerneas, who would otherwise rip apart my team.

Excadrill is used as my lead Pokemon most of the time. It can survive a hit thanks to Focus Sash, cripple walls with Toxic and set up Stealth Rock and spin away the opponent's hazards.

Finally, I chose Arceus-Normal as my final Pokemon. Thanks to its great priority move in Extreme Speed, Arceus-Normal can usually clean up a weakened foe, or outright sweep an entire team if it manages to get a Swords Dance up.

THE TEAM

LUNALA
@

Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Focus Blast

Psychium Z Lunala is an amazing threat. It can be played rather simply, and is very unpredictable as most opponents will believe Lunala is Specs or Scarf. Z-Hypnosis is used to potentially sleep an opponent while boosting your own speed. This makes Lunala an extremely potent sweeper. Calm Mind is to make Lunala even more of a threat by boosting its Special Attack and pairs really well with Z-Hypnosis, if it lands. If it does not land, it's still easy for you to grab a boost thanks to Shadow Shield giving you tremendous bulk if at full health. Moongeist Beam is Lunala's strongest Ghost-type STAB, hitting most things in Ubers very hard. Finally, Focus Blast is a very powerful coverage move that can hurt most Dark-types badly.

XERNEAS

@

Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Xerneas is an extremely scary threat. Power Herb ensures you will be able to get a Geomancy boost in just one turn - this allows Xerneas to be an amazing sweeper. Moonblast gets rid of the Dark-types Lunala cannot beat prior to a Z-Hypnosis. Thunder devastates Flying-types, most notably Ho-Oh and Celesteela as well as hitting Primal Kyogre hard by using its Heavy Rain to get 100% accuracy on Thunder. Focus Blast beats down annoying Steel-types.

SALAMENCE
@

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Salamence's high Attack coupled with Aerilate and access to Dragon Dance makes it a truly frightening sweeper in the Ubers metagame. Access to Intimidate before Mega Evolving lets it wear down physical attackers such as Primal Groudon and allows it to set up a Dragon Dance much easier. Double-Edge is used over Return to secure the OHKO on Xerneas after a Dragon Dance, and Earthquake is chosen for Steel- and Rock-types.

GROUDON
@

Ability: Drought
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

As mentioned earlier, Primal Groudon is placed on my team to be a threatening sweeper that can check Xerneas. Rock Polish is used to patch up Primal Groudon's poor Speed, making it one of the most deadly sweepers in the tier thanks to its amazing bulk and Attack. Precipice Blades is Primal Groudon's strongest Ground-type STAB, hitting a lot of stuff in the Ubers tier. Dragon Claw is used to nail down Giratina-O and Flygon, and Stone Edge is used for Flying-types, most notably Ho-Oh.

EXCADRILL
@

Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Excadrill is used as a lead and so far, it's been working really well. Mold Breaker is useful in some scenarios against Mega Sableye, as Excadrill can both set up Stealth Rock and Toxic it because Magic Bounce is negated. Rapid Spin is a very useful move that allows me to get rid of hazards on my own end. Focus Sash allows it to survive 1 hit, so therefore it can set up Stealth Rock 100%, or it can be a revenge killer against Pokemon such as Primal Groudon to guarantee two hits on it, then die for another Pokemon to revenge kill.

ARCEUS
@

Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Arceus is used on my team as a late-game sweeper as well as a revenge killer. He excels extremely well at this role, thanks to his amazing coverage options and great offenses. Swords Dance is a great move and enhances His late-game sweeping potential. Extreme Speed is a very strong STAB priority move, and allows Him to tear through teams effortlessly. Shadow Claw is a coverage option on Ghost-types, which are immune to Extreme Speed, and Earthquake is for Rock- and Steel-types, who resist it.

CONCLUSION

Thank you for reading! There will be an importable version down below for you to test it yourself. Overall, I think this is a pretty standard team for Gen 7 Ubers, but i'd like to hear what you guys think! See you next time :)

Lunala @ Psychium Z
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Focus Blast

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So this is exactly the same team as this one I rated a couple days ago?

Same things I said there apply here, except this team's spreads and sets aren't as on point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)