I bet you didn't see that coming (OU RMT)

I bet you didn't see that coming (Suspect RMT)

This is my first RMT here, so I hope it's fine. It's basically an all-offense team built around three things: Easy switch-ins for other Pokemon, bulkier than normal sweepers, and the element of surprise.

(M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Spe / 252 SpA
Modest nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Stealth Rock

This is my take of the Heatran lead. The Speed is to outrun a Jolly Tyranitar, who I am seeing more and more often as a lead. However, the main reason why I use him is due to the rising number of Metagross Leads. They can't do squat to Heatran. Earthquake usually does around 70%, which albeit, is ugly, but he can still lay down a layer of Stealth Rock. More importantly, he provides bait for Ground type attacks, which allow Salamence and Gengar to get in there and sweep away. The moves are designed to take out some common leads. In depth: Fire Blast deals with Jirachi, Metagross, Breloom, and about any lead weak to fire. Earth Power is for Infernape, and for better overall type coverage, and HP Ice is for Aerodactyl, and provides the element of surprise, which is how I thrive. Also, in the event my Manaphy is KOed, he can also work as a Scizor counter.

(M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 Atk / 252 Spe / 8 SpA
Hasty nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Aqua Tail

Alright, not so much the element of surprise (I stole it from the analysis, so feel free if you have a different opinion,) but still a damn good sweeper. He's Banded due to the fact that his role is get in, attack, then get out. It's hard to find time for a DD with him, and the immediate Attack boost never hurts. He's easy to switch in as well. I know he's weak to SR, but in the scheme of things, that is not the most important thing. Intimidate, which lowers the Attacks of the foe, make him a nice switch-in to fellow physical sweepers. As stated before, he is also able to switch in after Heatran finishes his job, due to the fact many use Earthquake hoping to get rid of Heatran.

On another note, I've often considered Fire Fang over Fire Blast, just for the fact that it gets the boost from the Choice Band, but I would like someone else's opinion on that before I do so.

(M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

I never liked Heracross. NEVER. Until I tried this set. And now, he's on most of my teams. He's not an easy switch in, but one he's in and sets up, the opponents team is as good as dead. He's not really providing anyone else a switch-in, but that's because he's like the janitor- he cleans up after almost everyone has left the building.

Enough of the hype. He's really the definition of the element of surprise. Nobody expects this set, neither the Jolly nature that accompanies it, which is what arguably makes him so dangerous.

(M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe / 216 SpA / 40 Atk
Hasty nature

- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion

If there's one Pokemon that's more important to this team than Heracross, it's Gengar. He packs the necessary punch Manaphy lacks, yet is incredibly easy to switch-in, due to Levitate and his immunity to Fighting. He's also packing a stiff regiment of attacks nothing short of a Blissey can handle. Hands down, he is the single-most important Pokemon here.

(Neutered) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 224 Spe / 252 SpA / 32 HP
Timid nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Fire

That's right; I'm a wanted man for harboring a suspect. All lame joking aside, this Manaphy is fairly destructive. The EVs work perfectly: He has enough Speed to outrun neutral base 110s (and by default, boosting base 95s,) and 349 HP to lower Life Orb recoil. Although we lose a Speed point for Hidden Power Fire, he can counter Scizor, Abomasnow, and Roserade, all three of those are fairly common on the Suspect ladder for me.

(M) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Of all of the Dragon Dancers, Tyranitar is the best. Okay, he's my favorite Pokemon, so I'm biased, but he really does his job. The only real reason I have him is for Sandstream. Rain is so common, that just Tyranitar switching wreaks havoc on the opponent's strategy. Now about the other things that make him useful; He is another one of those Pokemon that attract Earthquakes and Fighting type attacks, which means that he's good for letting in Gengar and Salamence.

What I think makes this guy so good is the Jolly nature. He outruns boosting base 115s, so when they his or her Azelf can stop him with HP Fighting, they are sorely mistaken. And yet, he has a higher Attack stat than Lucario!

Here are a few things that I have contemplated before and I would like you all to consider.

Salamence: Fire Fang over Fire Blast. It gets the CB boost, but has lower power and accuracy, so I don't know.

Heracross: Stone Edge over Facade / Megahorn. I know they're both rediculously powerful moves, but coverage is important too.

Gengar: Choice Scarf over Choice Specs. My team has not one Pokemon
that can stop fast threats easily, so I've considered this before. However, the lack of extra fire power really hurts my team one battle, then the lack of Speed hurts me in another. It's probably the most important question in my mind right now, so please answer it.

Tyranitar: Infernape over Tyranitar. He still attract Ground attacks, but his number one counter, Latias, is not allowed in the Suspect ladder. Therefore, he is capable of 2HKOing every Pokemon in that tier, and I am highly considering him too.

Rate away!

(Changes in Bold)

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Answering your questions:

Well on the Fire attack question, Fire Blast is mainly for Skarmory. Fire Blast does 85%~ or something near that, while i think Fire Fang fails to do even 50%.

Gengar is OK with specs, since you have T-tar for fast sweeping.

Now, Totally yes. Infernape is one of the best pokemons on this test. Why? The ability to get an SD up with tremendous ease and OHKO every single member of a Hail Team (barring the uncommon Gliscor) AND if Rain isnt up, it outspeeds and OHKOs every single member of a Rain Dance team. Those weather teams are rampant on the suspect ladder.

But you should use him not instead of T-tar. I would say Instead of Heracross. They do fairly the same, but IMO, Infernape does it better.

Does Life Orb net you any specific KOs on Tyranitar? Leftovers or Babiri Berry are both very helpful alternatives. I know you have Manaphy who will take Bullet Punches great, but what if you have 2 DDs up have only taken 23% (lets assume SR and 1 Life Orb recoil)? You don't want to switch out and lose those DDs just to avoid BP. You want to leave your steel weakness to your Babiri and Fire punch Scizor in the face.

Also, in my experience, unlike some sweepers, DDTar needs a lot of luck to set up without taking significant damage, and Life Orb could shorten a sweep.

greg said:
Does Life Orb net you any specific KOs on Tyranitar? Leftovers or Babiri Berry are both very helpful alternatives. I know you have Manaphy who will take Bullet Punches great, but what if you have 2 DDs up have only taken 23% (lets assume SR and 1 Life Orb recoil)? You don't want to switch out and lose those DDs just to avoid BP. You want to leave your steel weakness to your Babiri and Fire punch Scizor in the face.
Life Orb on T-tar has been one of those things were in some instances, it's handy, and in some instances, it made me lose the game. I'll consider the Leftovers as another option to try.

ReyScarface said:
Now, Totally yes. Infernape is one of the best pokemons on this test. Why? The ability to get an SD up with tremendous ease and OHKO every single member of a Hail Team (barring the uncommon Gliscor) AND if Rain isnt up, it outspeeds and OHKOs every single member of a Rain Dance team. Those weather teams are rampant on the suspect ladder.

But you should use him not instead of T-tar. I would say Instead of Heracross. They do fairly the same, but IMO, Infernape does it better.
Infernape will probably go in somewhere, likely for Heracross but maybe for T-tar, it will depend on how my first few test runs go.

Also will change the thread title (it's a suspect RMT, rather than OU.)

Just a few things that you might like to consider since this team is for suspect.

Heracross might look good on paper, but in actuality, is outclassed by other fighters. With the abundance of priority attacks on the suspect ladder, Heracross is going to have a tough time getting attacks off, let alone setting up fully. Coupled with the fast-paced offensive metagame we compete in, Heracross just doesn't get the job done, and is much less effective compared to initial DP. For this reason, I suggest Lucario in that slot. Lucario basically achieves the same function as Heracross does for the team, with the superior steel typing and priority move. The standard set should suffice if you do consider the change:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature - 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed

The next comment I have is on Gengar. Specs (or scarf for that matter) are a lot less effective due to the influx of Pursuiters. Tyranitar is very common on the suspect ladder due to the increasing amount of hail and rain teams, meaning one wrong attack and Gengar is basically dead. Although I normally wouldn't recommend it (due to residual sandstorm damage), for this team Life Orb is a good choice to keep the flexibility in your attacks, and add a little more power than normal. With Lucario's priority, it also means you don't have to really consider a Scarf as the item.

For Tyranitar, definitely consider Babiri Berry to prevent Scizor (and possibly Bronzong) from deterring your Dragon Dance sweep. This minor change in item could prove gamechancing, allowing you to KO Scizor and possibly continue damaging the opponent.

Although minor, consider Tail Glow on your Manaphy somewhere. If the four attack Manaphy is working for you, by all means keep it, but I feel you might benefit from a possible Tail Glow. In terms of what to drop, I'd say HP Fire. After a Tail Glow, Surf will severely damage Scizor, and Ice Beam gets Roserade. With Heatran + Salamence, I don't think Ludicolo is much issue anyway.

Everything else looks good. Good luck, hope some of this helped.

Alright, not so much the element of surprise (I stole it from the analysis, so feel free if you have a different opinion,) but still a damn good sweeper. He's Banded due to the fact that his role is get in, attack, then get out. It's hard to find time for a DD with him, and the immediate Attack boost never hurts. He's easy to switch in as well. I know he's weak to SR, but in the scheme of things, that is not the most important thing. Intimidate, which lowers the Attacks of the foe, make him a nice switch-in to fellow physical sweepers. As stated before, he is also able to switch in after Heatran finishes his job, due to the fact many use Earthquake hoping to get rid of Heatran.

On another note, I've often considered Fire Fang over Fire Blast, just for the fact that it gets the boost from the Choice Band, but I would like someone else's opinion on that before I do so.

LoL.

The opportunity you use to get the CB Mence in on earthquake could be used as an opportunity to get a DD.

I wouldn't say it is hard to get DD in, but if you feel more comfortable with CB, then I understand. DD kinda eases prediction, since not much outside Swampert(he can't really be considered a counter) can safely switch in and not to mention it is 2HKO by Outrage after DD+LO.

DD mence should never be overlooked. LoL

U already have a DDer in T-tar though.

Maybe you could make T-tar into the CB set, and Mence into DD.

By doing that you will have placed both of then into their most effective roles.

ToF said:
Just a few things that you might like to consider since this team is for suspect.

Heracross might look good on paper, but in actuality, is outclassed by other fighters. With the abundance of priority attacks on the suspect ladder, Heracross is going to have a tough time getting attacks off, let alone setting up fully. Coupled with the fast-paced offensive metagame we compete in, Heracross just doesn't get the job done, and is much less effective compared to initial DP. For this reason, I suggest Lucario in that slot. Lucario basically achieves the same function as Heracross does for the team, with the superior steel typing and priority move. The standard set should suffice if you do consider the change:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature - 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed
I actually had Lucario in the first place, and I found him disappointing actually. Personally, I see Heracross as not just good on paper, but worthwhile when battling. Having a status absorber is handy, and benefitting from it (Guts) is even better. Yeah, priority attacks chew him, but he's one of the bulkiest fighters out there (Machamp and Poliwrath are maybe the only bulkier ones in the OU )

I found the Baribi Berry to be be handy on T-tar, so I'll change that.

Manaphy: I keep alternating between a Tail Glow set and Life Orb set, and I hugely prefer the Life Orb set, but I dislike losing the Speed point, so it's one of those borderline calls.

Gengar is kind of the crux of my team and he is hard to replace. I am aware of the jump in Pursuiters being used, and I am aware a poor prediction lands me in a lot of trouble. I'll take up a Life Orb set instead.

@ WarriorPrince

I hated having to switch in, DD, then have to attack. I wanted to just be able to go in, hit hard, get out. Swampert is already 2HKOed by CB Outrage, and Hippodon has to fear the same thing. I also find T-tar a nudge too slow to be and effective Choice Bander, so therefore I do not use it.

EDIT: After five+ Battles, I have realized I have a massive weakness to DD Salamence and Kingdra. Suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)