I hear this game doesn't have as good of breeding as Emerald...

Hmm. I have been doing the following;

Porygon 2 from leafgreen. Bred with ditto to get a '4th gen' pory. Then, I bred this with a 4th gen modest ditto (From JP Pearl) holding an everstone. None of the 12 babies were modest ;_;

Porygon 2 from leafgreen. Bred with ditto to get a '4th gen' pory. Then, I bred this with a 4th gen modest ditto (From JP Pearl) holding an everstone. None of the 12 babies were modest ;_;
So... 3rd gen x 3rd gen = 3rd gen offspring regardless of whether the offspring was bred and hatched in D/P or in RSE?

That's not good. :\

Could someone please explain what tool to use with the L100 IV battling technique? I tried inputting just one row of stats into metalkid's DP IV calculator and entering the level as 100, but I got nothing but invalids for IV's.

*edit* Nevermind, I misunderstood what base stats were. Things make sense now.

Hmm, if it's not this....

No one knows why. All we know is that someone tested breeding with different combinations of generations, and found that the Everstone trick worked with two Pal Park Pokemon and two DP Pokemon, but not a combination of the two.
then it's just terrible luck...or something we might need to investigate. Maybe your '4th gen' pory isn't really 4th gen according to the game afterall.

Hmm

My 4th gen Surskit and my 3rd gen Butterfree got to making babies when I heard of this nonsense. Seven of the 10 Caterpies hatched were Hasty (Butterfree's nature). Both of my games are US version, and my Butterfree has that smiley face (what the hell does that even mean?) if that matters. Also, both were holding everstones (Surskit was Hardy).

I'd say this is a load of tripe.
~Uiru

[FONT=Times New Roman, Courier New][SIZE=-0]Here's some testing someone I know -just- did:

4th gen Male Surskit (Hardy) w/ Everstone + 3rd gen Female Butterfree (Hasty) w/ Everstone has produced four Hasty Caterpies of four. I will, of course, gather more data, but I don't recall ever seeing a streak of four in 3rd gen, let alone 4th.
And then:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Courier New][SIZE=-0]
I'm up to 10 eggs hatched; 7 are Hasty, 3 are other. Myth busted, etc.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Did anyone else try this?

*edit again* aaand the person I know JUST posted. :p

Just hatched five more eggs; only one was hasty, but we're still at 8/7. I'm gonna trade up a Flame Armor guy, then test my 3rd gen Skarmory that doesn't have the smiley face.
~Uiru

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I think I figured it out.

EXHIBIT A: MoonWaterDrifter's evidence showing that the Everstone trick does not work between different generations.

This time I noticed that the Gible he bred was female rather than male. I believe that the Everstone trick needs a male-female pairing to work (since you must make the female hold the Everstone), and for breeding purposes, Ditto is considered female. So the Everstone trick won't work with that female-"female" pairing.

I have a feeling it worked this way in Emerald too, as I vaguely recall having difficulties with female-Ditto pairings. I'll run some conclusive tests tomorrow evening, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Oh, and welcome back to Pokémon Uiru! :]

Good to be back... though I didn't really go anywhere. I just have fat clocks on my Disgaea games as well as Emerald, and I can A Max 300 now. :D:D

As for the lesbian hate, I had a female Ralts going at it with a bunch of Ditto today... I had far more trouble with Trace showing up on everything than I did with the nature (though I did stop when I got Synchronize and the nature I wanted, so maybe I was just fortunate). This was in Emerald, btw.

As it turns out, Pal Park requires 24 hours, not just one day to roll over, so I'm gonna hatch a few more Caterpie before starting in on Skarmory. It should let me transfer them soon, though.

Do smilies work anymore?
~Uiru

yamipoli

the only person more obsessive than jumpman
is an Artist Alumnus
this is what i've discovered so far:

i transfered over a ditto from emerald, holding everstone. adamant

first i bred it with a Male gible i got off GTS (jpn) (jolly)

out of 48 babies, only 3 had adamant nature

so i took one of those babies (lonely nature female) and bred it with ditto

18/25 were adamant.

next i bred riolus using the lucario from the egg you get at iron island (female modest)

27/34 were adamant

next i bred a magikarp (male naive) i got off GTS (jpn) with ditto

5/63~ 67 maybe were adamant

Okay, I think I figured it out.

EXHIBIT A: MoonWaterDrifter's evidence showing that the Everstone trick does not work between different generations.

This time I noticed that the Gible he bred was female rather than male. I believe that the Everstone trick needs a male-female pairing to work (since you must make the female hold the Everstone), and for breeding purposes, Ditto is considered female. So the Everstone trick won't work with that female-"female" pairing.

I have a feeling it worked this way in Emerald too, as I vaguely recall having difficulties with female-Ditto pairings. I'll run some conclusive tests tomorrow evening, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Oh, and welcome back to Pokémon Uiru! :]

It does work when you pair a female and a ditto then give the everstone to Ditto. The only scenarios when the nature won't pass is when you try to cross gen breed. Here is the formula.

Everstone Breeding Compatability in D/P

1.)
4th gen obtained + 4th gen obtained (everstone attached to female)
Nature will pass 50% of the time

2.) Pal park Pokemon + 4th gen Pokemon (everstone attached to female)
Nature will not pass 50% of the time

3.) Pal park Pokemon + Pal park Pokemon (everstone attached to female)
Nature will pass 50% of the time

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong, but I've bred so many times (all my boxes are full) I'm positive that this is correct, with my games anyhow.

this is what i've discovered so far:

i transfered over a ditto from emerald, holding everstone. adamant

first i bred it with a Male gible i got off GTS (jpn) (jolly)

out of 48 babies, only 3 had adamant nature

so i took one of those babies (lonely nature female) and bred it with ditto

18/25 were adamant.

next i bred riolus using the lucario from the egg you get at iron island (female modest)

27/34 were adamant

next i bred a magikarp (male naive) i got off GTS (jpn) with ditto

5/63~ 67 maybe were adamant
Interesting. When I bred a Lonely Ditto w/ Everstone with my Japanese Male Electivire, I didn't get any Lonely ones whatsoever. Maybe this could be affected by region?

Cross-generation Everstone breeding DOES work, at least in some circumstances. I'd like to hear an explanation for 11 of 21 Hasty Caterpies being born otherwise.

I'm working on a similar cross; my 4th gen Staraptor and my 3rd gen Skarmory. This time, Skarmory does not have that little face on the status screen. I should have results shortly.

Also, a random thought- are the Everstones you guys using from DP, or traded up with the Ditto? The Everstones I'm using, I dug up. Maybe the 3rd gen ones are broken or something?
~Uiru

I'm working on a similar cross; my 4th gen Staraptor and my 3rd gen Skarmory. This time, Skarmory does not have that little face on the status screen. I should have results shortly.
The little face should mean nothing for breeding, it just means it has the Pokerus but can't spread it anymore.

Well, that saves me the buggery of figuring out what that's for. Though I should have guessed that myself. Oh well, on to the Dittos.

First up, male Cherubi w/ Everstone meets 3rd gen Ditto w/ Everstone.

5 of 10 Skarmory passed down the right nature, in case anyone was wondering.
~Uiru

Okay, these are my findings so far for the evening. I'm sick of this now; I'm going to go put Metagross' boot in the battle tower's ass for a change of pace.

US version Pearl, US version Emerald

All parents holding Everstones obtained from Pearl underground

First test: Surskit (Hardy, male, 4th gen) w/ Butterfree (Hasty, female, 3rd gen)
Result: 11 Hasty Caterpies of 21

Second test: Staraptor (Lonely, male, 4th gen) w/ Skarmory (Naughty, female, 3rd gen)
Result: 6 Naughty Skarmories of 12

Third test: Cherubi (Hardy, male, 4th gen) w/ Ditto (Naughty, 3rd gen)
Result: 5 Naughty Cherubi of 10

These results fall well within my definition of 'working'. Other than the source and number of Everstones being used, I have no idea why this shouldn't be working for everybody (and that's a pretty tenuous guess). It's worth noting that of all the 'other' Natures passed down, the only one that ever got past 1 occurance was Hardy in the first test, which made it all the way to 2.

I do have a Finneon I traded over from my JP Diamond cart; that'll be the next thing I test when I get in the mood to test this again (probably tonight). Until then, all theories are welcome.
~Uiru

I know less than nothing about this, but the only things I could think of to cause it are (A) maybe the everstone has to be from diamond/pearl (Uiru's idea), (B) maybe BOTH parents have to hold everstones, despite the fact that the father's nature is ignored, and (C) maybe both versions have to be English (though I didn't check if MoonWaterDrifter's tests were English/Japanese, and Uiru is testing this).

My findings are still consistant with my own games tests.

(First 4 tests done on first edition Japanese Diamond)
1.) Timid Ditto (everstone attached) (From Jap Emerald), with Drifloon (f)
30 Offspring, 2 Timid

2.) Gengar(m) (From Jap Emerald), with Timid Drifloon (f) everstone attached
60 Offspring, 5 Timid

3.) Jolly Ditto (everstone attached) (From Jap Emerald), with Gible (f)
50 Offspring, 2 Jolly

4.) Salemence (M) (From Jap Emerald), with Jolly Gible (F) everstone attached
15 Offspring, 1 Jolly

(Final test done on English Pearl)
5.) Jolly Gible (M) (From Jap Diamond), with Jolly Ditto everstone attached (From Emerald)
12 Offspring, 0 Jolly

Has anyone determined if the IV distribution system is still the same? One from mother, one from pop and one at random from the two, other three random?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)